Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SIRO - ESB/Vodafone Fibre To The Home

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

bloodyhawk wrote: »
    "Early in the new year" is that so? Oh Cavan you lucky bastards. I wonder when will Athlone co. Westmeath go live :D
    BTW its also interesting how he mentions download/upload speeds of 200. Wasn't it the plan to bring 1gbps connection? Not that i'm complaining

Not yet, so few consumers have the PC power to pull data at gigabit speeds yet. 200/200 is a very good start.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Machinehead

fergus1001 wrote: »

Rural broadband rural broadband Rural broadband rural broadband Rural broadband rural broadband

Retro Broadband.

3626891975.png

They tell me nothing can be done to improve this, it is the best the line can deliver. Now I just have to wait four more years. Yippee :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

bloodyhawk wrote: »
    "Early in the new year" is that so? Oh Cavan you lucky bastards. I wonder when will Athlone co. Westmeath go live :D
    BTW its also interesting how he mentions download/upload speeds of 200. Wasn't it the plan to bring 1gbps connection? Not that i'm complaining

Well, in fairness they're hardly going to launch at the max, are they?

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭boardzz

7upfree wrote: »

Why not?
    Why build the M50 and only use one lane?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭dalta5billion

boardzz wrote: »
    Why not?
    Why build the M50 and only use one lane?

Because it makes you look amazing when you reveal that it actually has 5 lanes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

7upfree wrote: »

The more you pay the higher speed you get, I'd imagine.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Rural Ireland will be looked after in phase 3 with wireless with fibre as the backbone

Rural broadband rural broadband Rural broadband rural broadband Rural broadband rural broadband

Sigh, as it is mentioned by the CEO in the piece, I will allow it, but strictly within the limits of this project.

And Fergus, you are wondering dangerously close to ignoring a mods instructions, which normally results in a ban.

So lots of exciting and interesting information.

Confirmed that phase 1 will target 500,000 homes in towns with more then 4000 premises. Project will cost 450 million. It will involve running a kevlar cable containing 90 fibres along the medium voltage electric network. They will use both poles and underground ducts to get into peoples homes. He said that the kevlar cable will be more robust then existing (Eircom) copper network and thus better able to handle bad weather.

He also mentioned speeds starting at 200mb/s up and down. (I suspect it will quickly do gigabit fibre, you don't want to overpromise at the start, that is something a politician would do, rather then an engineering lead company, see below).

Project expected to start later this year, with the first homes going live in Cavan start of next year.

ESB/Vodafone will be managing the network and they will resell accees to the network to other companies. So for instance, Eircom, UPC, Sky, Magnet, etc. could use it to sell their products to people, similar way to Vodafone, Magnet, Sky, etc. currently use and resell Eircoms ADSL/VDSL network as bitstream customers.

I wonder will Eircom go for this or will they instead demand to use the ESB's poles to run their own fibre network into peoples homes?

On the one hand, network level competition is very good and healthy (see UPC versus Eircom VDSL for example), but on the other hand it wastes money duplicating the network. Money that might be better spent getting BB to rural parts.

He also mentioned that there maybe a Phase 2, where they target another 500,000 homes in smaller towns and villages. He mentioned that this will be a purely commercial venture and thus the decision to go ahead or not will be made as they see how phase 1 goes.

In other words they will see what the real cost of doing FTTH is in phase 1 and based on that will decide on phase 2 from there.

It is amazing to think that in just 6 years from now, 50% of homes in Ireland could be FTTH! That would be a massive achievement and it should be cheered from the rafters.

It will be ironic that people in the most dense urban areas with UPC service, will end up with an inferior service to the more semi-urban parts of the country!! Even if/when UPC do DOCSIS 3.1, it still won't have the symmetric upload speed of FTTH. I wonder if UPC might think of doing FTTH in their own areas in the short to medium term?

With regards to rural broadband, he kept stressing that this ESB/Vodafone venture is purely commercial. He didn't say it, but reading between the lines he is saying that rural FTTH isn't commercially possible.

However he did mention the governments National Development Plan to bring broadband to rural Ireland with a 500 million subsidy. He mentioned that the ESB/Vodafone JV IS NOT currently involved with this project, but that they would have to bid for their involvement in it, along with other telecoms companies (e.g. Eircom).

He mentioned that this isn't likely to be FTTH, rather wireless technology backed by fibre backhaul. A reasonable and achievable goal IMO.

To be honest, I massively psyched about a company like ESB getting involved in FTTH. This is the perfect company to do FTTH. This is a very well run company, with world renowned engineering ability and a very much long term infrastructural focus.

This is exactly what we need to propel us into the future and finally sort the Broadband problem in Ireland for once and for all. I have to say I was massively impressed by this interview with the ESB CEO, not just about FTTH, but also what he had to say about renewable energy (the realities of it and the need to balance it with cost and security of supply) and Nuclear power.

He seemed like a very knowledgeable and engineering driven CEO, a breath of fresh air compared to the waffle you hear coming from politicians and former Eircom "business" CEO's

Very, VERY, exciting times ahead :)

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Azhrei

Great stuff, BK. Very promising indeed.

I was out checking what our situation is in regard to the ESB and luckily our estate has an ESB distribution cab sitting outside with underground cables accessible from a series of grating that extends to every house. Seems like most of the work is already done, with little left to do but lay the cable. Hopefully this convinces them to see to us sooner rather than later ;)

I wonder how quickly Eircom will react to the ESB's offering and upgrade their customers to FTTH...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭hallo dare

Azhrei wrote: »
    Great stuff, BK. Very promising indeed.

I was out checking what our situation is in regard to the ESB and luckily our estate has an ESB distribution cab sitting outside with underground cables accessible from a series of grating that extends to every house. Seems like most of the work is already done, with little left to do but lay the cable. Hopefully this convinces them to see to us sooner rather than later ;)

I wonder how quickly Eircom will react to the ESB's offering and upgrade their customers to FTTH...

Are you serious about this comment? You went out to see about the esb supply?

hallo dare wrote: »
    Are you serious about this comment? You went out to see about the esb supply?

While on the way out this morning I just had a quick look, in relation to their needing to dig in order to lay the cable, just that they don't need to dig here. Obviously they do from wherever the cab connects to, but with all the talk of needing to dig up to people's houses and the like, it seems that all they need to do here is just add the cable to what they already have.

Didn't mean anything more than that.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Just had a thought... What's gonna be happening with Line Rental?

Ireland has the highest line rental in the entire world at nearly €30 so does this mean this won't be necessary anymore?

I know pricing hasn't been announced/finalised used but I'm just wondering.

I wonder what the price will be too? Hopefully €40 or thereabouts.

Good question, Alan. Probably too early for even them to have an idea of what costs will be involved, but that's a good point - I wonder if they will charge for your having been hooked up to their network?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Just had a thought... What's gonna be happening with Line Rental?

Ireland has the highest line rental in the entire world at nearly €30 so does this mean this won't be necessary anymore?

I know pricing hasn't been announced/finalised used but I'm just wondering.

I wonder what the price will be too? Hopefully €40 or thereabouts.

We do not have the highest line rental in the world, but probably in Europe, with other countries closely behind us. Standard line rental is €20.96 + VAT = €25.78 per month. Generally it's around €25, nearly all providers bundle calls and line rental. South Africa for example is much higher. I expect line rental to fall in the coming years as Eircom try to stay above water with UPC and FTTH. There is only so far broadband products can reduce in price by.

Anyway, back to the ESB/Vodafone deal. With the Vodafone/ESB Fibre, voice services will be delivered through VoIP so there will be no line rental. You will have to pay a monthly fee for the fibre line obviously.
    Azhrei wrote: »
    Good question, Alan. Probably too early for even them to have an idea of what costs will be involved, but that's a good point - I wonder if they will charge for your having been hooked up to their network?

I don't know. Vodafone do not charge connection fees with fixed line. When there is a new connection it's an 18 month contract as far as I know. I would expect at least an 18 month contract with FTTH and an installation charge of max €100?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I assume there won't be any "line rental" as such on this, in the same way there isn't any "line rental" on UPC cable.

However I certainly wouldn't expect any change from €40

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

bk wrote: »
    I assume there won't be any "line rental" as such on this, in the same way there isn't any "line rental" on UPC cable.

However I certainly wouldn't expect any change from €40

Bk, what monthly fee do you think there will be?

Traditionally the ESB charged for rental of an electricity line, as did Eircom. Vodafone bundle line rental and charges together, so thinking about it I would imagine that Vodafone will not charge a fibre rental fee.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Mr. G wrote: »
    We do not have the highest line rental in the world, but probably in Europe, with other countries closely behind us. Standard line rental is €20.96 + VAT = €25.78 per month. Generally it's around €25, nearly all providers bundle calls and line rental. South Africa for example is much higher. I expect line rental to fall in the coming years as Eircom try to stay above water with UPC and FTTH. There is only so far broadband products can reduce in price by.

Anyway, back to the ESB/Vodafone deal. With the Vodafone/ESB Fibre, voice services will be delivered through VoIP so there will be no line rental. You will have to pay a monthly fee for the fibre line obviously.

I don't know. Vodafone do not charge connection fees with fixed line. When there is a new connection it's an 18 month contract as far as I know. I would expect at least an 18 month contract with FTTH and an installation charge of max €100?

Yeah my apologies, meant to say one of the highest.

Anyway, I'd imagine that they'll charge a standing charge or a lease fee no idea how they'll word it but it'll be some charge for being connected to their network.

€15 just came into my head there now :P

But obviously it's anyone's guess.

Mr. G wrote: »
    Bk, what monthly fee do you think there will be?

Traditionally the ESB charged for rental of an electricity line, as did Eircom. Vodafone bundle line rental and charges together, so thinking about it I would imagine that Vodafone will not charge a fibre rental fee.

I think it will be just like Vodafone and UPC, where they charge X for broadband.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

bk wrote: »
    Sigh, as it is mentioned by the CEO in the piece, I will allow it, but strictly within the limits of this project.

And Fergus, you are wondering dangerously close to ignoring a mods instructions, which normally results in a ban.

So lots of exciting and interesting information.

Confirmed that phase 1 will target 500,000 homes in towns with more then 4000 premises. Project will cost 450 million. It will involve running a kevlar cable containing 90 fibres along the medium voltage electric network. They will use both poles and underground ducts to get into peoples homes. He said that the kevlar cable will be more robust then existing (Eircom) copper network and thus better able to handle bad weather.

He also mentioned speeds starting at 200mb/s up and down. (I suspect it will quickly do gigabit fibre, you don't want to overpromise at the start, that is something a politician would do, rather then an engineering lead company, see below).

Project expected to start later this year, with the first homes going live in Cavan start of next year.

ESB/Vodafone will be managing the network and they will resell accees to the network to other companies. So for instance, Eircom, UPC, Sky, Magnet, etc. could use it to sell their products to people, similar way to Vodafone, Magnet, Sky, etc. currently use and resell Eircoms ADSL/VDSL network as bitstream customers.

I wonder will Eircom go for this or will they instead demand to use the ESB's poles to run their own fibre network into peoples homes?

On the one hand, network level competition is very good and healthy (see UPC versus Eircom VDSL for example), but on the other hand it wastes money duplicating the network. Money that might be better spent getting BB to rural parts.

He also mentioned that there maybe a Phase 2, where they target another 500,000 homes in smaller towns and villages. He mentioned that this will be a purely commercial venture and thus the decision to go ahead or not will be made as they see how phase 1 goes.

In other words they will see what the real cost of doing FTTH is in phase 1 and based on that will decide on phase 2 from there.

It is amazing to think that in just 6 years from now, 50% of homes in Ireland could be FTTH! That would be a massive achievement and it should be cheered from the rafters.

It will be ironic that people in the most dense urban areas with UPC service, will end up with an inferior service to the more semi-urban parts of the country!! Even if/when UPC do DOCSIS 3.1, it still won't have the symmetric upload speed of FTTH. I wonder if UPC might think of doing FTTH in their own areas in the short to medium term?

With regards to rural broadband, he kept stressing that this ESB/Vodafone venture is purely commercial. He didn't say it, but reading between the lines he is saying that rural FTTH isn't commercially possible.

However he did mention the governments National Development Plan to bring broadband to rural Ireland with a 500 million subsidy. He mentioned that the ESB/Vodafone JV IS NOT currently involved with this project, but that they would have to bid for their involvement in it, along with other telecoms companies (e.g. Eircom).

He mentioned that this isn't likely to be FTTH, rather wireless technology backed by fibre backhaul. A reasonable and achievable goal IMO.

To be honest, I massively psyched about a company like ESB getting involved in FTTH. This is the perfect company to do FTTH. This is a very well run company, with world renowned engineering ability and a very much long term infrastructural focus.

This is exactly what we need to propel us into the future and finally sort the Broadband problem in Ireland for once and for all. I have to say I was massively impressed by this interview with the ESB CEO, not just about FTTH, but also what he had to say about renewable energy (the realities of it and the need to balance it with cost and security of supply) and Nuclear power.

He seemed like a very knowledgeable and engineering driven CEO, a breath of fresh air compared to the waffle you hear coming from politicians and former Eircom "business" CEO's

Very, VERY, exciting times ahead :)

I know i was but I can't see how talking about rural broadband is out of bounds on this thread strictly on the basis that it will provide a backhaul for the wisp's to take advantage of :)

I know i was but I can't see how talking about rural broadband is out of bounds on this thread strictly on the basis that it will provide a backhaul for the wisp's to take advantage of :)

+1

Not only that, but bk warned you and yet continued to talk about it himself in the same post. I'm a tad confused here! :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

Does anyone know what part of cavan they are trialing this in first?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

While I agree that threads like this will always be derailed into discussions about rural fibre, posting "rural broadband" 6 successive times in one post is just asking for trouble.

While I agree that threads like this will always be derailed into discussions about rural fibre, posting "rural broadband" 6 successive times in one post is just asking for trouble.

Ah, is that what bk was on about? Fair enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

yep i hold my hands up on that one

• Registered Users Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

I wonder is there a reason why Cavan has been chosen...isn't that also where Eircom are trialing FTTH? Nothing against Cavan...has to start somewhere, but is it just a coincidence that both fibre trials are starting there?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

murphaph wrote: »
    I wonder is there a reason why Cavan has been chosen...isn't that also where Eircom are trialing FTTH? Nothing against Cavan...has to start somewhere, but is it just a coincidence that both fibre trials are starting there?

Eircoms FTTH trials are in a few places, not just there.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭boardzz

Eircom trial FTTH in Sandyford and Wexford Town.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

They been trialing it in those 2 locations for at least a year or 2 by this stage?

Gonzo wrote: »
    They been trialing it in those 2 locations for at least a year or 2 by this stage?

At this stage it is less of a trial and simply the way they connect people in these areas at the moment.

While they have future proofed their FTTC network for FTTH, they simply haven't deployed it anywhere outside these trial areas yet and we haven't heard any rumours of them planning to do so yet.

Which IMO is for the better. I think it is more important for them to get VDSL to as many people as possible, before they turn their attention to FTTH.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Machinehead

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MajesticDonkey

Advertisement