Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SIRO - ESB/Vodafone Fibre To The Home

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,611 ✭✭✭quokula

I’m not sure the pedantic condescending tone is necessary.

It was just a simple question. On the WiFi router provided by Virgin all my devices got 300Mbps and on the Sky one, that came with a product that’s advertised at 3 times the speed and explicitly mentions including fast WiFi in its marketing material, the same devices get under 100Mbps most of the time. The Sky router was installed by them with no input from me, in the same place as the previous router, and at no point was I shown any evidence of what speed the line is actually capable of.

I thought it was a reasonable question to see if anyone had past experience and if it’s likely the router or the line that is the problem, before I have to go and spend money on extra equipment of my own in order to find that out.

Apparently it wasn’t so I’ll butt out of the thread and leave you to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

The issue here is that you are looking at it from the wrong end of the stick and blaming the provider from the get go.

Even after more than one person has pointed out to you, that you probably need to improve your wifi.

And the outages you are referring to could also be wifi issues.

/M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

quokula wrote: »

It was just a simple question. On the WiFi router provided by Virgin all my devices got 300Mbps and on the Sky one, that came with a product that’s advertised at 3 times the speed and explicitly mentions including fast WiFi in its marketing material, the same devices get under 100Mbps most of the time. The Sky router was installed by them with no input from me, in the same place as the previous router, and at no point was I shown any evidence of what speed the line is actually capable of.

I thought it was a reasonable question to see if anyone had past experience and if it’s likely the router or the line that is the problem, before I have to go and spend money on extra equipment of my own in order to find that out.

It was a reasonable question. In general you should see higher speeds on the 5GHz WiFi network. I am not familiar with the Sky router but I believe it is a relatively recent device so it should be capable of matching the Virgin router. The only issue with 5GHz is it will get weaker the further you get from the router. It really doesn't like walls!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Normally one would not have to spend anything to test the connection, as one device with a suitable network connection for the ethernet cable would be either owned or available for use while testing.

Maybe borrow someones laptop and test the speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,045 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Got set up with siro with Sky broadband about 5 days ago, not been brilliant so far. Speedtest typically giving me 80-100Mbps on both my laptop and iPhone over wifi, same devices on virgin media previously were well over double that. It does vary quite a bit, on some runs I have gotten around 300, but 100 or less is far more typical.

Honestly, day to day usage with multiple devices, Netflix 4k etc has been fine, so I don't know if the speed test numbers are not that reliable or if speeds have got to the point where it doesn't matter that much.

More troubling has been regular outages, about once or twice a day I've been seeing the connection go down for a couple of minutes before coming back. Wifi remains connected but it says no internet connection. One other niggly thing is with my PS4, when I suspend and resume, previously with Virgin Media when it resumed it would be immediately connected, but now it takes about 30 seconds to reestablish a connection each time before I can open up anything that requires internet.

Is all this normal? Is it something a better router will fix or something I should be getting an engineer to look at? Or is it something that gets better with time - I know ISPs always say it takes a while for your line to get up to speed but I've never understood why that would be the case technically and often wondered if this was a way to buy time while the customer is in the cool off period.

I won't be as condescending as others here. You seem to have two separate issues, most importantly, the outages. What is the ont telling you during these outages? Are there lights flashing/ off etc? There is a thread on ftth what you need to know That explains what the lights on the ont mean. I wouldn't obsess about WiFi speeds if everything is working as it should, probably not the most scientific approach but at the end of the day it's only a number. The outages would worry me as I'm with VM and its top class, none of that outages malarkey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭gar

Just to give this a bump. Sorry...
    gar wrote: »
    Hi

Currently with digiweb for siro and my first year is nearly up. Been very happy with speeds etc but looking at other suppliers for better offers. Currently have the Fritz 4040 and has been pretty solid.
    If you change over can you use new suppliers settings on it?
    What are the modems from sky and vodafone like?

Cheers

Gar

gar wrote: »
    Just to give this a bump. Sorry...

If the router works with one supplier it should work with all. The only issue with using the Fritz with Sky or Vodafone would be if you had a VoIP phone package as part of the plan. They will not give out SIP details so you will have issues there.

I have not used either of the routers so can't comment on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 eoneill

Hi.
    Quick question regarding Digiweb VOIP phone package please.

Siro coming here soon (hopefully) and looking at the options available (Digi, Sky & VP) and was wondering,
    If I want to keep using my synology wireless router (RT2600) I would have to disable the wireless on for example Digiweb's Fritzbox and use it as a modem only with the RT2600 acting as Router, would this then leave me unable to use VOIP services. Is this correct or does the VOIP have a different interface through the fritxbox or is it possible for to "passthrough" the VOIP to the fritzbox via the RT2600?

Apols for stupid question! :o

Regards.

Eoin.

eoneill wrote: »
    Hi.
    Quick question regarding Digiweb VOIP phone package please.

Siro coming here soon (hopefully) and looking at the options available (Digi, Sky & VP) and was wondering,
    If I want to keep using my synology wireless router (RT2600) I would have to disable the wireless on for example Digiweb's Fritzbox and use it as a modem only with the RT2600 acting as Router, would this then leave me unable to use VOIP services. Is this correct or does the VOIP have a different interface through the fritxbox or is it possible for to "passthrough" the VOIP to the fritzbox via the RT2600?

Apols for stupid question! :o

Regards.

Eoin.

You have a few options. The easiest is just to use the Digiweb router and forget about your Synology.

If you won't do that you could disable wireless on the Digiweb router and use your Syn as a glorified Access Point that handles WiFi. The Syn would not be a router in this scenario. It is not a good idea to have a router connected behind another router.

Another option is to have the Syn as the main router (providing it can do VLAN tagging on the WAN port) then connect the Digiweb router behind it for phone only. This is a fudge that may or may not work.

There is no modem as such so you can't have the Digiweb device acting as one.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 eoneill

Thanks for that info Navi.
    That gives me a few options to consider.

• Advertisement

If the Synology has VOIP capabilities you can use that from behind the Fritz!
    You could even use the Fritz! VOIP as well I believe ..... but have not tested fully.

You could even use the Fritz! VOIP as well I believe ..... but have not tested fully.

Not with the Digiweb VoIP service which is what the question was about.

Not with the Digiweb VoIP service which is what the question was about.

If Digiweb, like Eir, do not provide log in details for their VOIP service then my advice would be do not take that service.

Use an alternate VOIP provider ...... there are thousands out there, many of them cheaper than Eir and probably Digiweb.

If Digiweb, like Eir, do not provide log in details for their VOIP service then my advice would be do not take that service.

Use an alternate VOIP provider ...... there are thousands out there, many of them cheaper than Eir and probably Digiweb.

They don't provide the SIP password AFAIK.

If not using Digiweb VOIP then there is no need for Digiweb VOIP details.

Unless of course they have somehow mucked up the Fritz!Box firmware so the user cannot enter VOIP account details.
    I would doubt they could supply a Fritz!Box brand of router if they had done that ..... not without changing the branding, such as Eir did with the Huawei to create the Eir F2000.

Most of the modern Fritx!Box routers can manage multiple VOIP accounts concurrently.

If not using Digiweb VOIP then there is no need for Digiweb VOIP details.

Unless of course they have somehow mucked up the Fritz!Box firmware so the user cannot enter VOIP account details.
    I would doubt they could supply a Fritz!Box brand of router if they had done that ..... not without changing the branding, such as Eir did with the Huawei to create the Eir F2000.

Most of the modern Fritx!Box routers can manage multiple VOIP accounts concurrently.

I'm sure Digiweb customers are free to use other VoIP providers if they wish.

I'm sure Digiweb customers are free to use other VoIP providers if they wish.

Then I completely mistook what you meant by

I am unsure what point you were making to my suggestion to use an alternative VOIP provider.

I responded "They (Digiweb) don't provide the SIP password AFAIK" as confirmation of your suggestion

"If Digiweb, like Eir, do not provide log in details for their VOIP service then my advice would be do not take that service"

The issue is you never clarified that you were referring to using a third party VoIP provider in your initial post:

It could be interpreted, especially by someone unfamiliar with this area, that you meant they could use Digiweb's VoIP by implementing your suggestions when that is not the case.

I responded "They (Digiweb) don't provide the SIP password AFAIK" as confirmation of your suggestion

"If Digiweb, like Eir, do not provide log in details for their VOIP service then my advice would be do not take that service"

The issue is you never clarified that you were referring to using a third party VoIP provider in your initial post:

It could be interpreted, especially by someone unfamiliar with this area, that you meant they could use Digiweb's VoIP by implementing your suggestions when that is not the case.

Yes I should have made it clearer I was referring to your opinion of having one router behind the other as being a fudge which might or might not work.

Yes I should have made it clearer I was referring to your opinion of having one router behind the other as being a fudge which might or might not work.

I only mentioned it as a fudge in relation to inbound calls, where there can be issues with double NAT and dropped audio. I should have been clearer myself. I believe you use it for outbound calls where there should be no such problems?

• Advertisement

I only mentioned it as a fudge in relation to inbound calls, where there can be issues with double NAT and dropped audio. I should have been clearer myself. I believe you use it for outbound calls where there should be no such problems?

I do presently.
    But I am in process of setting it up for inbound also for some VOIP accounts.

At present, the accounts in the second router are registering reliably.
    The accounts there are free accounts in the form of
    user-name@sip.provider.yz
    I have to arrange a mate to call one of those from a similar account ..... not yet done.
    Mate tried Linophone but it failed to launch for him, so must wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

I think, on reflection, that this is wrong. All that has happened is that a new company with no customers or revenue financed itself with 100% equity. Then, once it had an established customer base, they moved to a more normal financing mix of debt and equity. Nothing at all usual about that.

Outside its core mobile network, its biggest recent investment has been its half share in Siro, the fibre network being built around the country with the ESB. Progress on this network has been steady, but substantially behind schedule. Just half of the 500,000 premises that Siro expected to 'pass' (make available for a connection) by this point have made it.

This may have been a strong contributor factor in Vodafone and the ESB, having pledged €225m each to the project, going to borrow money to support the Siro network earlier this year. To be fair, they are not alone in refinancing their operation - Eir also went back to the markets for investment money earlier this year.

https://www.independent.ie/business/technology/news/smooth-operator-eirs-new-mobile-offering-aims-to-take-a-byte-out-of-its-main-rivals-38602546.html

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭witnessrenegade

Possibly a stupid question, but recently there was some work done in my area in Galway (Shantalla) and on all the power lines there are small black boxes with black cables attached, would this be the SIRO connections being put in place?

Although being in the city, my house has no telephone line so we're currently stuck with Virgin Media as our only available provider, so hoping for SIRO to come in ASAP

Thanks

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

Possibly a stupid question, but recently there was some work done in my area in Galway (Shantalla) and on all the power lines there are small black boxes with black cables attached, would this be the SIRO connections being put in place?

Although being in the city, my house has no telephone line so we're currently stuck with Virgin Media as our only available provider, so hoping for SIRO to come in ASAP

SIRO has so far got from Oranmore to Mervue. It will probably be another month two, before Shantallagh is complete, but it's pretty certain, that your premise would be included. The DPs being in place etc. is not all of the work. There is a lot more down the line, that also needs to be complete.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭witnessrenegade

SIRO has so far got from Oranmore to Mervue. It will probably be another month two, before Shantallagh is complete, but it's pretty certain, that your premise would be included. The DPs being in place etc. is not all of the work. There is a lot more down the line, that also needs to be complete.

Thanks Martin, so the Black Boxes are a good indication that we're in the pipeline to be connected in the future? I thought I would be waiting till after Xmas at the earliest, but if it's before that it would be great!

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭kave2

Hi all, thinking about switching from VM to Vodafone Gigabit Broadband. I live in Galway, Roscam and I can get the 1000Mbps broadband. How well does it work? What are the real speeds as it says 'up to'? Is the service reliable? Thanks a lot.

kave2 wrote: »
    Hi all, thinking about switching from VM to Vodafone Gigabit Broadband. I live in Galway, Roscam and I can get the 1000Mbps broadband. How well does it work? What are the real speeds as it says 'up to'? Is the service reliable? Thanks a lot.

There is no 'up to' with FTTH. You get what you contract for .... 150; 300; 1,000 or whatever the ISP wishes to sell.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭cunnijo

There is no 'up to' with FTTH. You get what you contract for .... 150; 300; 1,000 or whatever the ISP wishes to sell.

There may be no "up to" but there is contention on FTTH (SIRO). Only 1 ISP from what I have seen mentions it on their website. That is Airwire at 16:1. None of the others seem to and when asked cannot seem to provide an answer.

I have Digiweb's Electric Broadband 1000 and I on average get speeds between 790 and 940mb depending on time of day but nowhere near 1gb.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,878 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

cunnijo wrote: »
    There may be no "up to" but there is contention on FTTH (SIRO). Only 1 ISP from what I have seen mentions it on their website. That is Airwire at 16:1. None of the others seem to and when asked cannot seem to provide an answer.

I have Digiweb's Electric Broadband 1000 and I on average get speeds between 790 and 940mb depending on time of day but nowhere near 1gb.

940 is about the fastest speed you'll ever see on a 1 gig FTTH connection due to overheads. Most don't even reach those speeds due to the hardware inside their computers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭XsApollo

Anybody know What the timeframe is from when they start work outside to when it actually goes live?
    They are digging up the roads outside my house as we speak.

Advertisement