Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SIRO - ESB/Vodafone Fibre To The Home

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

cunnijo wrote: »
    There may be no "up to" but there is contention on FTTH (SIRO). Only 1 ISP from what I have seen mentions it on their website. That is Airwire at 16:1. None of the others seem to and when asked cannot seem to provide an answer.

I have Digiweb's Electric Broadband 1000 and I on average get speeds between 790 and 940mb depending on time of day but nowhere near 1gb.

It would generally be the same ratio for all ISPs as SIRO are using GPON with a 1:32 split ratio where up to 32 premises are sharing 2.5Gb/s down and 1.25Gb/s up. As stated 940Mb/s is about the maximum you can expect to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

Thinking of switching BB and TV from Virgin to Sky SIRO or Sky TV+Vodafone SIRO. Virgins TV offerings and hardware have gone to sh!te. My only issue is that Virgins BB has been rock solid for a decade. Added complication is our shop Visa/Payzone machine is through our home BB connection so downtime isn't just annoying it costs us money. How reliable has SIRO been for people wrt to outages or downtime. Is their peering as good as Virgins has been the last few years. ie. no weird hops or routing causing Youtube to buffer constantly etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

Trying to find the answer. I presume it’s no. Can’t see anything googling about it. Is there any word on an expansion to Clonsilla. Siro is close by in Ongar, and it’s also going into Leixlip. Here’s hoping. VM rock solid but very expensive

• Registered Users Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭opus

For anyone in the Shandon area of Cork city, I contacted SIRO to see what was going on as got their letter in the door last April. Apparently there was some delay but they hope to resume the roll-out early in 2020. Fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Gunner3629

XsApollo wrote: »
    Anybody know What the timeframe is from when they start work outside to when it actually goes live?
    They are digging up the roads outside my house as we speak.

I live in Carrigtwohill and have Siro since mid-June. Even now the Siro website is showing as 'planned' so take that with a pinch of salt.

I first saw work in my estate in late February and in May I got an email saying it would be available 'within 6 months'. From there on exactly the 1st of June, I got another email stating it was now 'available'. Took me 3/4 weeks from there to get it installed.

I would definitely advise signing up for updates on the Siro website. That allowed me to know immediately when there was an status change.

Hope that helps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Siro is close by in Ongar, and it’s also going into Leixlip.

The network in Ongar is fed from Dublin North. The network in Leixlip will be fed by Dublin West.

So those two locations are completely different networks and interconnects within SIRO. They won't be interconnected.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

I’m moving house soon. Currently on virgin 300mb.

Just had a quick chat there with Vodafone. They say they have fibre to the home 1000 something or other available at the new address.

Could anyone please tell me what’s the difference between the two & are Vodafone any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭jarvis

I’m having Vodafone gigabit installed on Saturday to replace my VM 240mb.
    I not too fused if I don’t get more than 240Mb on the gigabit connection but what I’d like to know is what’s the WiFi range like with Vodafone gigabit? I had the vm hub and WiFi upstairs was awful. Anything more than 16-20ft away and WiFi was terrible.

Does anyone know what Vodafone is like for this?

Also I have a Netgear Orbi router. Can I negate using the Vodafone router altogether and just use the orbi or will I have to bridge the Vodafone one?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Rolls of fibre cable hanging from buildings all over Enniscorthy,prep work was done in the Summer so looking like the rollout is getting underway.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,120 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

jarvis wrote: »
    I’m having Vodafone gigabit installed on Saturday to replace my VM 240mb.
    I not too fused if I don’t get more than 240Mb on the gigabit connection but what I’d like to know is what’s the WiFi range like with Vodafone gigabit? I had the vm hub and WiFi upstairs was awful. Anything more than 16-20ft away and WiFi was terrible.

Does anyone know what Vodafone is like for this?

Also I have a Netgear Orbi router. Can I negate using the Vodafone router altogether and just use the orbi or will I have to bridge the Vodafone one?

You should be able to connect the Orbi directly to the ONT by tagging the WAN port to VLAN10 and setting up the PPPOE connection.

• Advertisement

I have done all this and the Orbi works fine now for internet but Vodafone Tv gives me nothing. Wonder if it can only be used for tv when connected to a Vodafone router

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

XsApollo wrote: »
    Anybody know What the timeframe is from when they start work outside to when it actually goes live?
    They are digging up the roads outside my house as we speak.

Recently bought and moved in to a new house that is part of a new development in Dublin 18, about 7 weeks ago the eir/Siro lads were laying the cables etc...still no sign of any service with any provider and nobody seems to know when we will be able to access it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,045 ✭✭✭CoBo55

I've asked here about Enniscorthy but no one replied.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭new2tri19

I just rang Virgin to cancel after recent price increase , I told the guy on the phone I'm moving to Siro.
    He said Siro is terrible , you will have constant buffering and Netflix won't load if two people in the house are using the wifi. I said its 1 gigabit surely that will suffice , he said 1GB is not guaranteed and the reality is the speeds are too slow to watch Youtube and Netflix.
    I said I'm very surprised to hear this is true and he said they have people coming back to them daily because they can't stream Netlix or youtube off Siro.

I said I'm going to give it a try anyway, he then said Siro/Vodafone will need to dig up your road from the power line across to your house are you aware of this? I said no I wasn't but I'll chat with vodafone about this , he then said they also need to drill holes in all the walls if your house to get the cables around as they will only be beside the meter . I said listen to be honest this all sounds a bit scaremongering I'm not happy with the tone of this call , I'm going to cancel and try get independent advice on how good Siro is.
    His last words where "enjoy your new 3m/b broadband" I found this very petty , I'm tempted to get onto ombudsman or take it further if the information they are giving is scaremongering.

Any good / bad experiences with Siro?
    Thanks

I have done all this and the Orbi works fine now for internet but Vodafone Tv gives me nothing. Wonder if it can only be used for tv when connected to a Vodafone router

Vodafone TV will only work with their router. Same goes for their phone service.

The only providers, that I'm aware of, that currently give you a TV service, that does not depend on their router are probably maybe Sky at the moment.

/M

Marlow wrote: »
    Vodafone TV will only work with their router. Same goes for their phone service.

The only providers, that I'm aware of, that currently give you a TV service, that does not depend on their router are probably maybe Sky at the moment.

/M

Would it work in bridge mode?

Would it work in bridge mode?

What ? Vodafone TV ? I don't know, but I doubt it.

/M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Oasis1974

new2tri19 wrote: »
    I just rang Virgin to cancel after recent price increase , I told the guy on the phone I'm moving to Siro.
    He said Siro is terrible , you will have constant buffering and Netflix won't load if two people in the house are using the wifi. I said its 1 gigabit surely that will suffice , he said 1GB is not guaranteed and the reality is the speeds are too slow to watch Youtube and Netflix.
    I said I'm very surprised to hear this is true and he said they have people coming back to them daily because they can't stream Netlix or youtube off Siro.

I said I'm going to give it a try anyway, he then said Siro/Vodafone will need to dig up your road from the power line across to your house are you aware of this? I said no I wasn't but I'll chat with vodafone about this , he then said they also need to drill holes in all the walls if your house to get the cables around as they will only be beside the meter . I said listen to be honest this all sounds a bit scaremongering I'm not happy with the tone of this call , I'm going to cancel and try get independent advice on how good Siro is.
    His last words where "enjoy your new 3m/b broadband" I found this very petty , I'm tempted to get onto ombudsman or take it further if the information they are giving is scaremongering.

Thanks

Stop with the bull**** posts in fairness....

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,878 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I live about 2km in the countryside outside of Dunshaughlin. Got a note in the door from the ESB saying no power between 8.30am and 5.30pm next Thursday to facilitate Siro Fibre Rollout. This seems a bit unusual since about 2km away from where they are currently building their network!

new2tri19 wrote: »

Thanks

The drilling the wall is likely true. The rest is scaremongering in an attempt to prevent you leaving.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,045 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Gonzo wrote: »
    I live about 2km in the countryside outside of Dunshaughlin. Got a note in the door from the ESB saying no power between 8.30am and 5.30pm next Thursday to facilitate Siro Fibre Rollout. This seems a bit unusual since about 2km away from where they are currently building their network!

Probably stringing the fibre along the ESB line that your house is on.

Anyone else lied to by Virgin about SIRO, have your say here:

https://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2058027120

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

We have updated the database on our availability checker today.

Added premises within our coverage:
    Galway - 1475
    Ennis - 3
    Shannon - 594
    Sixmilebridge - 28
    Limerick - 382

In Galway, the areas enabled last month are Ballybrit, Ballybane and Bohermore. Also a good few more premises in Oranmore got enabled.

On SIRO, we currently cover Athlone, Clarecastle, Ennis, Galway, Limerick, Oranmore, Portlaoise, Shannon, Sixmilebridge, Sligo and South Dublin.

The availability checker can be found here: https://www.airwire.ie/avail

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭BowWow

email from SIRO this morning - now available in Sutton, Dublin 13.

• Company Representative Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Digiweb

Our product checkers are now also updated with new Siro addesses added nationwide : https://digiweb.ie/broadband-checker/

BowWow wrote: »
    email from SIRO this morning - now available in Sutton, Dublin 13.

When did you email them as still no reply from our email about a month ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Does Digiweb or any of the other providers have any idea when Little Island will actually be up and running ? Siro says its rolled out but no provider seems to be covering it.

• Company Representative Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Digiweb

Does Digiweb or any of the other providers have any idea when Little Island will actually be up and running ? Siro says its rolled out but no provider seems to be covering it.

Hi, we are covering Little Island, have over 1500 Premises passed here at the moment. Send a PM with Eircode and we'll check it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭BowWow

When did you email them as still no reply from our email about a month ago.

When they were putting cable on the poles outside our house in August, I signed up on their site for updates.
    Got that update on Saturday.

• Advertisement

BowWow wrote: »
    When they were putting cable on the poles outside our house in August, I signed up on their site for updates.
    Got that update on Saturday.

Thanks, I emailed and signed up for updates when they were installing outside our new development in August - still nothing.

Advertisement