Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SIRO - ESB/Vodafone Fibre To The Home

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,452 ✭✭✭irishgeo

So Vodafone website says 1GB available at my address. SIRO website says no. Is westnet Paul still around. I'm in his area so he could clarify for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

irishgeo wrote: »
    So Vodafone website says 1GB available at my address. SIRO website says no. Is westnet Paul still around. I'm in his area so he could clarify for me.

It might be Openeir's rural Fibre to home could be the delivery platform. If you in a village or a rural setting it likely to be that. Most major urban centres are likely to be Siro.

• Company Representative Posts: 195 Verified rep Westnet: Paul

From memory of roughly where you are in Castlebar, it's possible you have both open eir and SIRO FTTH available. PM me an Eircode and I'll check it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Do you know if there is anyway to have SIRO take a look at my neighbourhood or would it make any difference if I reached out to a local TD to get them to pressure them into having a look?

Just located on the boundary with the suburbs, so technically countryside. Looking at 60+ properties in the immediate vicinity.

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

Mc Love wrote: »
    Do you know if there is anyway to have SIRO take a look at my neighbourhood or would it make any difference if I reached out to a local TD to get them to pressure them into having a look?

Just located on the boundary with the suburbs, so technically countryside. Looking at 60+ properties in the immediate vicinity.

Contact a SIRO provider, that covers the area. This can be flagged with SIRO, but if it's not directly adjactant to an existing or planned rollout, it is unlikely to happen.

The reason for this is, that they already have their ressources allocated for all of the planned areas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Thanks Martin - Airwire cover the area I'm in, I know you said back in April that it wasn't planned to extend out in my neighbourhood hence why I was trying to see if it would be considered in the next rollout. Only have FTTC and we're a good bit from the Cabinet.

While i have eir FTTH to the home im not paying 90 eur for 1gb, siro in their wisdom only decided to roll past the new half of the estate. guess ill have to stick with VM for another while.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,045 ✭✭✭CoBo55

While i have eir FTTH to the home im not paying 90 eur for 1gb, siro in their wisdom only decided to roll past the new half of the estate. guess ill have to stick with VM for another while.

Surely there are other ftth providers available?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

CoBo55 wrote: »
    Surely there are other ftth providers available?

There are plenty available to him. But if he wants Gbit/s FTTH, then it's 80-90 EUR alright.

But he could go for like 300 Mbit/s and it would be around 60 ... then again, that seems not to be enough for him.

/M

Marlow wrote: »
    There are plenty available to him. But if he wants Gbit/s FTTH, then it's 80-90 EUR alright.

But he could go for like 300 Mbit/s and it would be around 60 ... then again, that seems not to be enough for him.

/M
    350 with vm is 64 which I have .
    300 with Vodafone is 65
    1gb Vodafone ftth eir network is 90
    1gb with siro 45 to 50.

Why pay more for less speed?

• Advertisement

300 with Vodafone is 65
    1gb with siro 45 to 50.

There are a lot more providers than Vodafone on that network. It's only because you are limiting yourself, that you see it as expensive.

/M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

300 with Vodafone is 65
    1gb with siro 45 to 50.

It depends on your own needs, it sounds like what you are getting with VM is not adequate. Perhaps there is an issue with the service? If you do need 1Gps at least you have the option of getting it unlike most people in the country.

There are a lot more providers than Vodafone on that network. It's only because you are limiting yourself, that you see it as expensive.

/M

which network?

tuxy wrote: »
    It depends on your own needs, it sounds like what you are getting with VM is not adequate. Perhaps there is an issue with the service? If you do need 1Gps at least you have the option of getting it unlike most people in the country.

VM is expensive , no problem with the service. Im not complaining just pointing out whats available.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,045 ✭✭✭CoBo55

300 with Vodafone is 65
    1gb with siro 45 to 50.

Are digiweb, airwire etc not available in your area? VM going up to €67.50 for 360 meg.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭gramo

I just had Vodafone 1000m fiber to the home installed via SIRO
    I tested there router to verify I was getting the full speed before removing it and using my own asus R-AC5300
    Set the VlanID to 10 and changed the WAN port to PPPOE, used the vodafone router SN @vfieftth.ie and got connection.

Unfortunately the speed hits around 200 max

Has anyone had a similar issue and is there something Ive missed?

which network?

If you can not get SIRO, then the other FTTH network would be OpenEir. So the assumption has to be, that is what you are talking about.

Vodafone sells on both networks. So do A LOT of other providers.

Vodafone is NOT your ONLY option.

/M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

gramo wrote: »
    I just had Vodafone 1000m fiber to the home installed via SIRO
    I tested there router to verify I was getting the full speed before removing it and using my own asus R-AC5300
    Set the VlanID to 10 and changed the WAN port to PPPOE, used the vodafone router SN @vfieftth.ie and got connection.

Unfortunately the speed hits around 200 max

Has anyone had a similar issue and is there something Ive missed?

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/slow-pppoe-with-rt-ac68u-and-gigabit-fiber.45288/

This is pretty old but it shows there has been issues with PPPoE on high speed connections with certain Asus routers. I'd be contacting Asus support to see what they say.

If you can not get SIRO, then the other FTTH network would be OpenEir. So the assumption has to be, that is what you are talking about.

Vodafone sells on both networks. So do A LOT of other providers.

Vodafone is NOT your ONLY option.

/M

But the open eir network isn't as cheap as siro. I have my reasons for not going with others.

I'm happy enough with VM for now. I got 6 discount so will do for now. Will look again in 12 months but thanks for the advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

VM is expensive , no problem with the service. Im not complaining just pointing out whats available.

You're pointing out that you have more options available than the majority of people in Ireland. Sounds more like bragging to me.

Yes the open eir network is currently more expensive than siro but refusing to consider ISP's that have good track records is pushing that price up even further for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭gramo

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/slow-pppoe-with-rt-ac68u-and-gigabit-fiber.45288/

This is pretty old but it shows there has been issues with PPPoE on high speed connections with certain Asus routers. I'd be contacting Asus support to see what they say.

Cheers Mate I'll have a read up on it

tuxy wrote: »
    You're pointing out that you have more options available than the majority of people in Ireland. Sounds more like bragging to me.

Yes the open eir network is currently more expensive than siro but refusing to consider ISP's that have good track records is pushing that price up even further for you.

Bragging would you shut up. Sure I'm lucky but I'm not trying to rub anyone nose it. I'm just trying to get the best value for my money.

I honestly think the NBP is waste of money as the internet from space from starlink satellite could be better.

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Gary kk

Bragging would you shut up. Sure I'm lucky but I'm not trying to rub anyone nose it. I'm just trying to get the best value for my money.

I honestly think the NBP is waste of money as the internet from space from starlink satellite could be better.

Yeah just wait about a minute for someone to reply over Skype or some other such app. Starlink ha your killing me here

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Rollout well underway around Enniscorthy,one odd thing is that there's fibre in ducts along one stretch of road and now fibre running along poles at the other side of the road. Gigabit available already along that road so is it overkill having another line covering the same stretch?
    Courtown is now live and Enniscorthy pencilled in for early 2020.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

SIRO rollout moved to the south side of cork city I think. Walked past the Huawei/SIRO vans today near Noonan road and college road. Big rolls of fiber wire and workers holding maps of the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭opus

Great to see progress in Cork. Not such good new for me, I got the letter through the door at the start of April saying it was on the way so I've been contacting them every three months to see what's going. Finally got a response this week & not good new :(
    We thank you for your patience while we resolved your query and we apologise for the delay in getting back to you.

Unfortunately, we have found that due to topographical difficulties that arose during the initial build, SIRO was unable to pass its network to your home.

The topographical issues we refer to relate to the underground ducting in your home being direct buried which means that fibre is unable to be passed to your home at present.

Not sure if that means it's a non-runner ever or there's some chance for the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭gar

Ok i have told my current SIRO provider im moving almost a month ago.
    Signed up to vodafone online last weekend. Called them on monday said i'd get a text about the install.
    Nothing so far this week.
    Rang there and then was told you are with another provider we cant connect you contact SIRO. We are not able to change people from other providers.
    Had provided the info other provider had supplied.

Anyone else had this BS?

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,801 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

gar wrote: »
    We are not able to change people from other providers.

Maybe they're not, but through no fault of SIRO's. If you have the SIRO account number (starting with "SI"), any competent provider should be able to migrate your connection.

I would have thought one of SIRO's owners would be able to figure it out, but hey ho.

gar wrote: »
    Rang there and then was told you are with another provider we cant connect you contact SIRO. We are not able to change people from other providers.
    Had provided the info other provider had supplied.

Anyone else had this BS?

All you need is your SIRO UAN from your current provider. If Vodafone can't even figure out how to use that, then they obviously aren't interested in your business.

I'd wonder, what else they'll get wrong.

/M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭opus

opus wrote: »
    Great to see progress in Cork. Not such good new for me, I got the letter through the door at the start of April saying it was on the way so I've been contacting them every three months to see what's going. Finally got a response this week & not good new :(

Not sure if that means it's a non-runner ever or there's some chance for the future.

Well I got my answer to this, no SIRO for me :(
    Unfortunately, yes this means that at this time SIRO does not have plans to extend its network to your premises.

This may be subject to change in the future however at this time, we do not have any plans for the near future.

Advertisement