Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SIRO - ESB/Vodafone Fibre To The Home

Options

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭LFCFan

gar wrote: »
    Ok i have told my current SIRO provider im moving almost a month ago.
    Signed up to vodafone online last weekend. Called them on monday said i'd get a text about the install.
    Nothing so far this week.
    Rang there and then was told you are with another provider we cant connect you contact SIRO. We are not able to change people from other providers.
    Had provided the info other provider had supplied.

Anyone else had this BS?

Yep, got a new account number and install date with Vodafone (Today) and when I rang them they told me I can't move. I moved from them to Digiweb last year so obviously it's incompetence on the part of Vodafone. I will check to see if I can move to Sky instead. <--- No go with Sky as they can't even see my availability

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭gar

LFCFan wrote: »
    Yep, got a new account number and install date with Vodafone (Today) and when I rang them they told me I can't move. I moved from them to Digiweb last year so obviously it's incompetence on the part of Vodafone. I will check to see if I can move to Sky instead.

To update I got onto Vodafone again and a guy there has been very helpful and will be following up. Rang digiweb to see about 'releasing' the line and they can see the cancellation but something has gone wrong on their side as I still have broadband. Will be following up with me tomorrow.
    Dunno if this is just a siro issue as it's relatively new and people are only looking at switching providers now???

• Moderators Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭LFCFan

To update I got onto Vodafone again and a guy there has been very helpful and will be following up. Rang digiweb to see about 'releasing' the line and they can see the cancellation but something has gone wrong on their side as I still have broadband. Will be following up with me tomorrow.
    Dunno if this is just a siro issue as it's relatively new and people are only looking at switching providers now???

I was previously with Vodafone and moved to Digiweb a year ago with no issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,452 ✭✭✭irishgeo

opus wrote: »
    Well I got my answer to this, no SIRO for me :(

How are you you contacting them. I have a bugbear to take up with them

• Registered Users Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭opus

irishgeo wrote: »
    How are you you contacting them. I have a bugbear to take up with them

Just email - info@siro.ie. Don't expect a quick reply though ;)

• Advertisement

So this time last year, checking availability said I'd be able to connect within 6 months. A year later, it now says it's not available in my area yet. The availability map https://fibrerollout.ie/rollout-map/ shows my house is live. Is it best to check with individual ISPs or do I try to get a response out of SIRO direct?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

So this time last year, checking availability said I'd be able to connect within 6 months. A year later, it now says it's not available in my area yet. The availability map https://fibrerollout.ie/rollout-map/ shows my house is live. Is it best to check with individual ISPs or do I try to get a response out of SIRO direct?

They are completely different networks. fibrerollout is for the open eir network which has nothing to do with the SIRO network. Enter your Eircode here and it should check your availability for all networks

http://www.airwire.ie/avail

They are completely different networks. fibrerollout is for the open eir network which has nothing to do with the SIRO network. Enter your Eircode here and it should check your availability for all networks

http://www.airwire.ie/avail

My bad. Googled SIRO availability map and found the airwire link that way. That's the fibre to the cabinet service, right?

Does a proper SIRO availability map exist? I know they put in the infrastructure over a year ago - lots of SIRO vans and workmen working for several weeks in my area, so puzzled as to why it's still not available to me.

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

My bad. Googled SIRO availability map and found the airwire link that way. That's the fibre to the cabinet service, right?

No.

Airwire does everything: Fibre to the cabinet (VDSL), OpenEIR FTTH and SIRO FTTH.

On SIRO, we only provide the following areas: Athlone, Castleconnell, Clarecastle, Ennis, Galway, Limerick, Oranmore, Portlaoise, Shannon, Sixmilebridge, Sligo and South Dublin.

We have data for some other SIRO areas, but it's not very up to date.

You get a box per product, when you check, so you know, what is what.
    Does a proper SIRO availability map exist?

SiRO have their own check, that has all the data, yes.

You can enter your eircode here: https://siro.ie/ or you can find the areas on the map: https://siro.ie/roll-out/ , but there is no detailed roll-out map.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭Panrich

Well I'be bitten the bullet and moved to Digiweb and will be cancelling VM in the next few days. The last straw for me was that I actually upgraded with VM about a month ago and they put up the cost of the package already. It was lucky really as I was having buyers remorse with the new VM router that was slower than the old one and my internet speeds were down on what I had before upgrading from 250 to 500MB.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭gar

Update all sorted.
    Digiweb had not fully processed my cancellation. Once this was done Vodafone could process the order. Was without broadband for about 24 hours. Ordered with Vodafone on Wednesday and was up and running Thursday lunch time.
    Craziest thing is needing an engineer out to install the modem even though the fibre and ONT are installed.

All good now. On reason to leave digiweb was better pricing from Vodafone. Will check again next year too

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭gramo

I am having connection issues with vodafone Siro. Every day constant disconnects.. Im still in my 14 day cooling off period so am really considering it. Other than that its great, The gigabox router covers my whole house without issues, The app is great aswell..

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,878 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Siro have been working on the Dunshaughlin urban rollout over the past few months. I mentioned before that despite the fact I live in a relatively rural area about 1km outside of the town, we had our power knocked off 2 Thursdays ago for siro works. I saw nothing happening anywhere other than a full day without electricity.

We got another note through the door on Monday and our power was knocked off again for the full day yesterday. Decided to head into town for the day with no power, just as I pulled out the door I saw 7 KN vans, a hoister and siro signs. They were going up the poles examining them. It looks as if they may be working in my area but this doesn't make sense as it's a relatively quiet country area with about 32 houses. Could Siro be rolling out to my area? We already have Eir's rural FTTH throughout the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭skodacb

I noticed they've connected many houses up the top of Waterford.

Many properties inside the area attached seem to be live for siro installation. Hoping the Dunmore & Williamstown roads wont be to far off.

They're also installing the familiar black boxes on ESB poles near the village of Lemybrien as well.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,878 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

since I saw the vans yesterday morning I haven't been able to see what work they did as I went away for the day and only came back home this evening and it's too dark to see anything. On the way home I bumbed into the KN/Siro team yet again half way between Dunshaughlin and Ratoath, they were up the poles just past where the Eir Rural rollout stops, these poles are in a NBP zone, yet Siro were there today. I'd love to know what's going on. I thought Siro only ever worked in urban areas and didn't go near green field areas.

gramo wrote: »
    I am having connection issues with vodafone Siro. Every day constant disconnects.. Im still in my 14 day cooling off period so am really considering it. Other than that its great, The gigabox router covers my whole house without issues, The app is great aswell..
    Same. I was hoping it was router firmware issue but seems to be the line dropping. I'm getting regular disconnects throughout the day. Kids regularly getting kicked out of multiplayer games and I'm having problems working from home.

After almost a year with the service i have also been unable to get it's full potential. That is an under statement!! I'm am only getting 180mb speed. In comparison my last provider was Virgin, I was on the 240mb package and was getting a constant 260mb!! Yes, above what I was paying for.

It's been a very very disappointing experience with Siro and I will be switching back to Virgin as soon as my contract expires.

It's not an overreaction when I say the whole thing is a con and blatant false advertising.

Same. I was hoping it was router firmware issue but seems to be the line dropping. I'm getting regular disconnects throughout the day. Kids regularly getting kicked out of multiplayer games and I'm having problems working from home.

After almost a year with the service i have also been unable to get it's full potential. That is an under statement!! I'm am only getting 180mb speed. In comparison my last provider was Virgin, I was on the 240mb package and was getting a constant 260mb!! Yes, above what I was paying for.

It's been a very very disappointing experience with Siro and I will be switching back to Virgin as soon as my contract expires.

It's not an overreaction when I say the whole thing is a con and blatant false advertising.

Thanks for the info, I spoke to them yesterday and had my cooling off period extended to this Friday. By the looks of it it appears that your external IP changes every day and this has been happening during the day. I was advised to reboot the router at night when no one is using it, This will set the router to renew it IP at the same time every night. But I am like yourself, Kids are loosing connection in games etc.

If there is no difference by the end of the week I will be canceling.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Thanks for the info, I spoke to them yesterday and had my cooling off period extended to this Friday. By the looks of it it appears that your external IP changes every day and this has been happening during the day. I was advised to reboot the router at night when no one is using it, This will set the router to renew it IP at the same time every night. But I am like yourself, Kids are loosing connection in games etc.

That dynamic IP change on each reconnect on Vodafone is actually enforced on Vodafone residential connections. So is the daily reset.

Other providers may handle that differently.

/M

Marlow wrote: »
    That dynamic IP change on each reconnect on Vodafone is actually enforced on Vodafone residential connections. So is the daily reset.

Other providers may handle that differently.

/M

Seems like a bit much (Daily) my previous provider Virgin I could have the same IP for months.

Im kind of regretting going with vodafone to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭jarvis

I know you shouldn’t have to do this but what I used to do was use one of those timer plugs. It powered off my router at 2am and powered it back on at 2:05. I did it to keep the speeds decent as I found I would get slower speeds the further out from a reboot I was and this meant the speeds were automatically kept high.
    Might work for you with this issue too.

• Advertisement

jarvis wrote: »
    I know you shouldn’t have to do this but what I used to do was use one of those timer plugs. It powered off my router at 2am and powered it back on at 2:05. I did it to keep the speeds decent as I found I would get slower speeds the further out from a reboot I was and this meant the speeds were automatically kept high.

Sounds like an idea... Did you have to do it with Vodafone fiber or just in general?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭jarvis

Sounds like an idea... Did you have to do it with Vodafone fiber or just in general?

Just in general. I was with Eircom at the time and it was a speed issue rather than external ip but should help I’d think.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

jarvis wrote: »

The Fritz!Box routers that a lot of the alternative providers use lets you actually force the disconnect at a specific time of the day.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭what the hell!

Guys I have an engineer coming out this weekend to try an install for a 2nd time. The last time he and out the prior work hadn’t been done with wires to the house he was saying. I don’t think anything has changed since then. I rang the Siro crowd and they said everything looks good to go but I don’t want the same thing to happen again. What work should have been done that the engineer can do an install?

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭cunnijo

Guys I have an engineer coming out this weekend to try an install for a 2nd time. The last time he and out the prior work hadn’t been done with wires to the house he was saying. I don’t think anything has changed since then. I rang the Siro crowd and they said everything looks good to go but I don’t want the same thing to happen again. What work should have been done that the engineer can do an install?

Is the fibre cable coming overhead from a pole or underground? If it is from a pole you will see a roll of cable mid way up on it. Secondly is your ESB cable fed underground to your meter and also coming from the same pole? If so the civils team from either the installers or ESB will come and feed the fibre through the same duct as your power cable and leave a roll either attached to or in your meter box. If this is the case then all the engineer has to do is complete the installation, which normally takes no longer than 60 minutes approx.
    If however the fibre is coming overhead from the pole to your apex wall that too has to be carried out by the civils team before installation can be completed.
    Lastly if the fibre is coming underground and not a pole check your ESB meter box to see if the roll of fibre cable is either inside or attached. If so as mentioned earlier it is all systems go. If not then the installer is wasting their time calling to you leaving you disappointed with a new call having to be booked/arranged.

It was happening regularly throughout the day for me, not just once. Funnily enough it hasn't happened since posting about it on here :-)

Still have brutal speeds though and I'll still be jumping back to virgin at end of my contract. 180mb out of a gigabit line is just outright illegal.

Queue the Siro engineers lecturing me that I don't need any more bandwidth than that (and completely missing the point)....

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭noble00

I’m with Vodafone my tv and broadband are gone most of the day, I’m only home from work so no luck with anyone online helping , I’m still within the 14 day cooling off period if its not sorted tomorrow I’m going to cancel

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Belfunk

For anyone in Dublin 5, it looks like Siro have commenced their rollout. I’ve noticed what appears to be fibre hanging from electricity poles along the Howth road. Also Eir appear to have surveyed all of their ducts/poles in the area, another possible rollout?

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Det Somerset

I've been keeping tabs on the proposed SIRO roll out in Midleton for a year or two and a recent update suggests it will be available there in early 2020. As I am just outside the urban sprawl of the town, I remain uncertain whether my property will be serviced as for example I'm on the water mains but not the gas grid, and while my telephone exchange offers FTTH, I can only get FTTC as the telephone pole outside my house is too old.

Anyway, I've just realised that the 'Point of Presence' referred to in this video
    https://www.facebook.com/SIROIreland/videos/572794776864765/?__tn__=-R is 100 metres from my house. Does anyone know whether that gives me an excellent chance of being able to get SIRO with it being so close or does it not matter in the slightest?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭mcbert

Agreed to buy a house in a small new estate in Galway city, west side. Estate is 99% complete. We'll need internet of course, ideally FTTH. I dont want to sign up for 18mon contract with someone else if fibre is just aroud the corner.

Whats the best way to find out? Bonkers lookup using the eircode only shows 100Mb Eir and Virgin right now.

Thanks.

Advertisement