Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SIRO - ESB/Vodafone Fibre To The Home

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,878 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

mcbert wrote: »
    Agreed to buy a house in a small new estate in Galway city, west side. Estate is 99% complete. We'll need internet of course, ideally FTTH. I dont want to sign up for 18mon contract with someone else if fibre is just aroud the corner.

Whats the best way to find out? Bonkers lookup using the eircode only shows 100Mb Eir and Virgin right now.

Thanks.

I wouldn't believe what's on bonkers. When I put in my eircode it shows Virgin Media and VDSL services available to me, in reality none of these services are available to me. It doesn't show any Eir/OpenEir FTTH deals which are available to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Whats the best way to find out? Bonkers lookup using the eircode only shows 100Mb Eir and Virgin right now.

Bonkers will only show you results for those providers that have paid them and they have contracts with. They have actually been extremely reluctant to even talk to anybody but the large players.

Your best bet is to check siro.ie or the websites of the SIRO partners, that service Galway city.

Siro lists these partners and one their offerings for each area.

For Galway that is currently Airwire, Digiweb, Sky and Vodafone.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Agreed to buy a house in a small new estate in Galway city, west side. Estate is 99% complete. We'll need internet of course, ideally FTTH. I dont want to sign up for 18mon contract with someone else if fibre is just aroud the corner.

Thanks.
    I don't think there's any real way to find out when they'll connect your house. It's just wait and see. FWIW they seem to be rolling out Galway bit-by-bit at the moment. I'm in the West of the city and the cables have been hanging from the polls since around mid summer, but it's still not available. I'm not expecting it to happen this side of the new year, or even soon after.

Could you get by with a 4G dongle or tethering for now?

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

xckjoo wrote: »
    I don't think there's any real way to find out when they'll connect your house. It's just wait and see. FWIW they seem to be rolling out Galway bit-by-bit at the moment. I'm in the West of the city and the cables have been hanging from the polls since around mid summer, but it's still not available. I'm not expecting it to happen this side of the new year, or even soon after.

SIRO started their rollout in Oranmore and have worked west from there. Approx 5500 premises are ready to order at the moment.

That's Oranmore, Roscam, Doughiska, Mervue and Bohermore.

Updates happen once a month and the next one should be ready in a few days. I generally post here, when we update our database. They tend to pass about 1000-2000 premises per month.

Our product/eircode check can be found at http://airwire.ie/avail

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭xckjoo

SIRO started their rollout in Oranmore and have worked west from there. Approx 5500 premises are ready to order at the moment.

Updates happen once a month and the next one should be ready in a few days. I generally post here, when we update our database. They tend to pass about 1000-2000 premises per month.

Our product/eircode check can be found at http://airwire.ie/avail
    Every time I see a new post in this thread I hope it's you telling me my areas is live Martin :D. Some day soon hopefully

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Belfunk wrote: »
    For anyone in Dublin 5, it looks like Siro have commenced their rollout. I’ve noticed what appears to be fibre hanging from electricity poles along the Howth road. Also Eir appear to have surveyed all of their ducts/poles in the area, another possible rollout?

open eir are in the process of a massive urban FTTH build so I'd assume that is what the pole/duct survey is for.

I've been keeping tabs on the proposed SIRO roll out in Midleton for a year or two and a recent update suggests it will be available there in early 2020. As I am just outside the urban sprawl of the town, I remain uncertain whether my property will be serviced as for example I'm on the water mains but not the gas grid, and while my telephone exchange offers FTTH, I can only get FTTC as the telephone pole outside my house is too old.

Anyway, I've just realised that the 'Point of Presence' referred to in this video
    https://www.facebook.com/SIROIreland/videos/572794776864765/?__tn__=-R is 100 metres from my house. Does anyone know whether that gives me an excellent chance of being able to get SIRO with it being so close or does it not matter in the slightest?

It doesn't hurt your chances but it would depend on whether you are on a route back into town and if so is there a sufficient density of premises around you for them to install a distribution point.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Det Somerset

It doesn't hurt your chances but it would depend on whether you are on a route back into town and if so is there a sufficient density of premises around you for them to install a distribution point.

Thanks for the response. I'm on the main (only) road between that 'point of presence' and midleton so they do have to come back that way, however my section of the road is rural with only 4 properties and the denser populated areas are about a further 300 metres up the road beyond me, so I guess that remains inconclusive at this point in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

Belfunk wrote: »
    For anyone in Dublin 5, it looks like Siro have commenced their rollout. I’ve noticed what appears to be fibre hanging from electricity poles along the Howth road. Also Eir appear to have surveyed all of their ducts/poles in the area, another possible rollout?

Very interesting. I’m in Dublin 3 and we got a letter in the door to say there would be ducting being carried out by Richard Nolan Contractors on behalf of ESB. I thought this was strange though as our electricity comes in overhead poles. SIRO did cross my mind but I didn’t hear anything yet for our area.

Could this be SIRO or something else?

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭winter2019

Anyone get a notice prior to installation of a blockage in the ducting before the meter box? I was due to have digiweb Install next week but they’ve left a consent form in the postbox saying they found a blockage and will need to dig a hole to clear it. Driveway is paving cobblelock. They’re saying they’ll reinstate it , but I’m worried they’ll mess it up. Anyone had to have this done ? We’re you happy with the work quality ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Very interesting. I’m in Dublin 3 and we got a letter in the door to say there would be ducting being carried out by Richard Nolan Contractors on behalf of ESB. I thought this was strange though as our electricity comes in overhead poles. SIRO did cross my mind but I didn’t hear anything yet for our area.

Could this be SIRO or something else?

Could be ESB putting cables underground?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭BowWow

BowWow wrote: »
    email from SIRO this morning - now available in Sutton, Dublin 13.

Vodafone selling SIRO door-to-door in Sutton today.

BowWow wrote: »
    Vodafone selling SIRO door-to-door in Sutton today.

Any Black Friday deals going ??? :p Or have they not copped on to that ?

/M

We have updated the database on our availability checker today.

Added premises within our coverage:

Carrickmines - 368
    Clarecastle - 47
    Galway - 1749
    Limerick - 502
    Portlaoise - 63
    Shannon - 18

Additionally a few premises in Athlone and Sligo.

In Galway, a few more around Oranmore have been enabled, but also the areas of Renmore and around Terryland, Ballinfoyle and Castlegar.

On SIRO, we currently cover Athlone, Clarecastle, Ennis, Galway, Limerick, Oranmore, Portlaoise, Shannon, Sixmilebridge, Sligo and South Dublin.

The availability checker can be found here: https://www.airwire.ie/avail

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

They tend to pass about 1000-2000 premises per month.
    Are you quite sure about those figures? Or, is this just in the areas you cover?

• Company Representative Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Digiweb

winter2019 wrote: »
    Anyone get a notice prior to installation of a blockage in the ducting before the meter box? I was due to have digiweb Install next week but they’ve left a consent form in the postbox saying they found a blockage and will need to dig a hole to clear it. Driveway is paving cobblelock. They’re saying they’ll reinstate it , but I’m worried they’ll mess it up. Anyone had to have this done ? We’re you happy with the work quality ?

Hi, give us a call on send a PM if you need any help, understand the concern. What we sometimes suggest is that customer is present at the time that blockage is cleared and re-instatement done. The contractor involved is clearing quite a lot of these on a weekly basis and to be honest we very rarely get any negtive feedback.

Galway - 1749
    KOR101 wrote: »
    Are you quite sure about those figures? Or, is this just in the areas you cover?

The post you quoted was in relation to Galway City. Not nationwide.

This month 1749 premises in Galway have been passed.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭winter2019

Digiweb wrote: »
    Hi, give us a call on send a PM if you need any help, understand the concern. What we sometimes suggest is that customer is present at the time that blockage is cleared and re-instatement done. The contractor involved is clearing quite a lot of these on a weekly basis and to be honest we very rarely get any negtive feedback.

Thanks. Sent you a pm there. Turns out there’s no consent slip in my postbox. Wondering if they went to the right house at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭BowWow

Marlow wrote: »
    Any Black Friday deals going ??? :p Or have they not copped on to that ?/M

Offering a Google Home Hub online as part of deal for Black Friday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭M00lers

So I received notification that SIRO is available in my area. I've been researching providers today. SKY, Vodafone, Digiweb and Airwire.

Actually would have signed up today but couldn't get anyone to talk to.

Am I correct in saying that Airwire don't have a usage cap?
    I regularly use in excess of 1TB (sometimes creeping up to 2TB).
    Any info would be great thanks.

• Advertisement

M00lers wrote: »
    Am I correct in saying that Airwire don't have a usage cap?

Correct. All our FTTH packages have no usage cap what so ever.

We only have one package for VDSL and fixed wireless, that has a usage cap and it's clearly stated in the product information. It's simply an option for low usage consumers to get a cheaper service.

As for sales (phone: 091-395000): if they are not available, we have an answering service, that will organise a callback for you or you can email sales@airwire.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭M00lers

Correct. All our FTTH packages have no usage cap what so ever.

We only have one package for VDSL and fixed wireless, that has a usage cap and it's clearly stated in the product information. It's simply an option for low usage consumers to get a cheaper service.

As for sales (phone: 091-395000): if they are not available, we have an answering service, that will organise a callback for you or you can email sales@airwire.ie

Thanks for confirming. Tried to sign up today but had no joy. I'll try again Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,544 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Can anyone clarify what's happening here - ComReg accepts request from Siro for the resolution of a dispute with Eircom
    The Dispute relates to Eircom Limited (“Eircom”) providing Siro with access to “NGA rollout plans”
    The scope of the Dispute is as follows:

Whether Eircom may require Siro to comply with conditions, and if so which, in respect of access to information regarding Eircom’s “NGA rollout plans” (as provided for under Section 10.25 of the WLA Decision Instrument at Appendix 20 of ComReg Decision D10/18).

The Cush wrote: »

Clear as mud :D

The Cush wrote: »

My take on it is that eir have basically ignored the stipulations of D10/18 whereby they were meant to publish various details of upcoming NGA builds on publicly available websites (fibrerollout or openeir). SIRO are obviously now seeking these details as eir are beginning to build in similar areas. What the conditions, if any, eir may require SIRO to comply with I am unsure of. Perhaps NDAs will need to be signed or maybe eir would seek reciprocal access to SIRO's plans.

My take on it is that eir have basically ignored the stipulations of D10/18 whereby they were meant to publish various details of upcoming NGA builds on publicly available websites (fibrerollout or openeir). SIRO are obviously now seeking these details as eir are beginning to build in similar areas. What the conditions, if any, eir may require SIRO to comply with I am unsure of. Perhaps NDAs will need to be signed or maybe eir would seek reciprocal access to SIRO's plans.

It is for certain that the urban 300k extensions and the IFN is overbuilding with SIRO and Virgin and that for example fibrerollout.ie has not been updated since 25.04.2019.

The other issue is, that even providers who are wholesale providers of OpenEIR and have signed the NDA only have an extremely limited view of future builds/plans. Exchanges and numbers per exchange are known, but the actual outline and extend of the build is completely unknown even to OpenEIRs partners.

/M

I would think that future plans for expansion, whether by Openeir or other entity, would be very commercially sensitive, which causes me to wonder at an apparent requirement that such plans be notified to their commercial competitors.

I can well understand how this could be true for the 300k rural roll out, which was a signed agreement with government, and also maybe for NBI and their subsidised plans.

I just do not get it when the plans are purely commercial.

On the other hand I am probably misinterpreting the previous couple of posts :D

I would think that future plans for expansion, whether by Openeir or other entity, would be very commercially sensitive, which causes me to wonder at an apparent requirement that such plans be notified to their commercial competitors.

I can well understand how this could be true for the 300k rural roll out, which was a signed agreement with government, and also maybe for NBI and their subsidised plans.

I just do not get it when the plans are purely commercial.

On the other hand I am probably misinterpreting the previous couple of posts :D

Comreg believe the market is not sufficiently competitive and the eir have significant market power in said market.
    Pursuant to Regulation 25 and Regulation 27 of the Framework Regulations and taking the utmost account of the SMP Guidelines, having determined that the Relevant Market is not effectively competitive, Eircom is designated as having SMP in the Relevant Market in which it operates.

You should read the Appendix 20 of the decision. Comreg made several stipulations which eir have seemingly ignored.

https://www.comreg.ie/publication/3a-3b-market-analysis-decision

OpenEIR is still considered a monopoly and that is why they are regulated under Comreg. This applies to all their infrastructure. Not only the ones where specific contracts with the department have been signed.

They have to follow stipulations as outlined by Comreg, show transparency, equal treatment of all wholesale partners the same as their sister company and when they ignore one of those stipulations, then other providers are free to p*** in their cereal.

The status quo on all of this may change, as the NBI build completes.

/M

• Advertisement

I fully expect Openeir to treat all who buy from them, including eir, equally.
    I completely agree with regulation to ensure the level playing field.

But the above link is not about those companies, but refers to Siro, who is now a direct competitor in the market, and releasing future plans to competitors is not the same thing at all as treating all customers of theirs equally.

Advertisement