Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SIRO - ESB/Vodafone Fibre To The Home

Options

Comments

I spoke too soon about my disconnecting issue being resolved. 3 disconnects in last hour. There is no way this is vodafone renewing the IP. Counting down the days before I can get off this ****e network.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 eoneill

Hi all.
    Siro is now live on my road and was wondering what the general opinion is on the 3 providers in the Dublin 13 area?

I see Vodafone panned fairly often, mixed on Sky but what about Digiweb?

Any experiences or opinions on equipment provided, customer service and actual connection would be appreciated.

Thanks.
    Eoin.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,120 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I'm using Digiweb over Siro for the past month or so, happy enough so far. Before that I had Digiweb for VDSL too for about two years, no real issues.

I quite like the Fritz!box router they provide with Siro, seems an improvement over the older one I had.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

I can't get SIRO in my area but it's worth nothing that Digiweb is one of the few ISP's that have a rep that will engage in open discussion on this forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,045 ✭✭✭CoBo55

tuxy wrote: »
    I can't get SIRO in my area but it's worth nothing that Digiweb is one of the few ISP's that have a rep that will engage in open discussion on this forum.

Noting I think you mean.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

CoBo55 wrote: »
    Noting I think you mean.

Yup that's it.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 eoneill

Thanks for that. I have noticed that there seems to be less negatives on here regarding Digiweb compared to the other service providers.
    I think I'll give them a call tomorrow and see what their options are.
    I need to get the cable through (already drilled) holes at the rear of the property
    as it's an old building and the walls are the guts of 2 feet thick and is a listed property.
    Hopefully they can be accommodating.

Cheers.
    Eoin.

• Company Representative Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Digiweb

Hi,

Our Siro product checkers have been updated this morning, lots of new homes released countrywide :)

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

We have updated our SIRO pricing at http://airwire.ie/siro for a bit more attractive pricing, once the promotion ends on those who signed up to it.

The SIRO promotion is only available until 31.12.2019.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭M00lers

We have updated our SIRO pricing at http://airwire.ie/siro for a bit more attractive pricing, once the promotion ends on those who signed up to it.

The SIRO promotion is only available until 31.12.2019.

What has changed Martin? Don't see anything obvious.

• Advertisement

M00lers wrote: »
    What has changed Martin? Don't see anything obvious.

We reduced the regular pricing for 500 and 1000 Mbit/s connections. Pricing for 150 Mbit/s and the promotional pricing are still the same.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,878 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

got the weekly note in the door again from the ESB, no electricity again for all of next Wednesday due to 'in order to facilitate the rollout of our fibre network'.

That will be 3 full days my electricity has been cut off. Saw no action the first week, then last week there was a KN and Circlet team examining all the poles on behalf of Siro.

Next Wednesday if I see the guys back, i'll ask them what is going on, because I find it hard to believe Siro would rollout in my area which is just over 1km outside Dunshaughlin urban area.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭apophis32

Hi Martin,
    I'm out of contract in mid April with my current Provider on FTTC...(vdsl), and was looking at airwire as a potential move, however i notice, and am slightly concerned that there is a 16:1 contention ratio on your offer according to your website, is this standard accross all isp's..?.. and could you explain "contention ratio"

many thanks.

apophis32 wrote: »
    Hi Martin,
    I'm out of contract in mid April with my current Provider on FTTC...(vdsl), and was looking at airwire as a potential move, however i notice, and am slightly concerned that there is a 16:1 contention ratio on your offer according to your website, is this standard accross all isp's..?.. and could you explain "contention ratio"

GPON has contention as part of it's design. We're just honest about it. And it's a maximum contention figure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Gonzo wrote: »
    got the weekly note in the door again from the ESB, no electricity again for all of next Wednesday due to 'in order to facilitate the rollout of our fibre network'.

That will be 3 full days my electricity has been cut off. Saw no action the first week, then last week there was a KN and Circlet team examining all the poles on behalf of Siro.

Next Wednesday if I see the guys back, i'll ask them what is going on, because I find it hard to believe Siro would rollout in my area which is just over 1km outside Dunshaughlin urban area.

Could they be bringing cabling from Ratoath perhaps? It seems to be at a more advanced stage than Dunshaughlin. Do ESB have a site in Dunshaughlin?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭shanec1928

apophis32 wrote: »
    Hi Martin,

many thanks.
    basically how many people share that connection. A lot of business would pay extra to have a direct connection or 1:1 ratio. Not sure on what ratios other networks work to but 16:1 seems ok.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,878 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Could they be bringing cabling from Ratoath perhaps? It seems to be at a more advanced stage than Dunshaughlin. Do ESB have a site in Dunshaughlin?

Not sure if the ESB have a site in Dunshaughlin. Last week when we had the power outage, the Siro team examined poles all the way from the start of the OpenEir rural rollout near Dunshaughlin, then my road, and the following day they were working their way towards Ratoath, examining poles past where the rural rollout stops and inside a NBP zone. There were 7 or 8 KN and Circlet vans at one point and several hoisters. I'll keep a watchful eye next week when our power is cut once again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭thehomeofDob

Has anyone seen SIRO halt a roll-out? Greystones has fibre lines wrapped and hung up all over the town. They haven't been touched in months and I can't find any addresses on Vodafone's service checker that are enabled. Sitting here on 11mb while I can see a fibre wrap 10 metres from my window.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

Has anyone seen SIRO halt a roll-out? Greystones has fibre lines wrapped and hung up all over the town. They haven't been touched in months and I can't find any addresses on Vodafone's service checker that are enabled. Sitting here on 11mb while I can see a fibre wrap 10 metres from my window.

Siro put fibre into the ground right outside my house back in June and sent us a letter to say it will be available soon back in September. Address is still not showing up on siro.ie link checker

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

First digging by Eir (for Siro) was in August, a guy confirmed testing went well about a month and still nothing on the bloody Siro website.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

First digging by Eir (for Siro) was in August, a guy confirmed testing went well about a month and still nothing on the bloody Siro website.

Eir does not dig for SIRO. SIRO does not use Eir and Eir does not use SIRO.

- Eir is a retail business, reselling OpenEIR infrastructure only.
    - OpenEIR is the wholesale operation that now operates what used to be Eircoms network.
    - SIRO is an organisation set up from scratch, using ESB networks infrastructure.

OpenEir and SIRO do not share infrastructure, nor do they do work for each other.

You are confused, sir.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 4,099 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

Got Siro installed.

Max speed I’ve gotten from a wired Cat 6 from laptop to router was 400mbps using Speedtest.net.

Has anyone seen speeds closer to 1GB?

Got Siro installed.

Max speed I’ve gotten from a wired Cat 6 from laptop to router was 400mbps using Speedtest.net.

What spec is the laptop ? Most often that is the problem: your computer not being able to process 1 Gbit/s.

/M

Marlow wrote: »
    What spec is the laptop ? Most often that is the problem: your computer not being able to process 1 Gbit/s.

/M

HP Envy with an I7 processor, 16gb RAM.
    Using a USB-C to Ethernet adapter.

Will try a different laptop later on!

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭cunnijo

Got Siro installed.

You are not alone. I too am only getting between 400 and 500mb on a 1gb connection. A serious drop from 860-940mb. I have used both Speedtest.net and Fast.com and both show the same speeds. Pings are also high to Irish servers (usually 3 now 11). Spoke with my ISP (Digiweb) yesterday and their technical support cannot seem to able to get to the route cause. It will be interesting to see if others are experiencing the same issues and who their ISP are.

Which ISP are you using?

HP Envy with an I7 processor, 16gb RAM.
    Using a USB-C to Ethernet adapter.

Will try a different laptop later on!

Some of those USB to Ethernet adapters are crap.

I had less than that with a generic one. Got near Gbit/s with one from Anker.

Also, some PCs are loaded with bandwidth management software like Smart Bytes.

You could try load an Ubuntu live CD and then do the test again.

/M

cunnijo wrote: »
    You are not alone. I too am only getting between 400 and 500mb on a 1gb connection. A serious drop from 860-940mb. I have used both Speedtest.net and Fast.com and both show the same speeds. Pings are also high to Irish servers (usually 3 now 11). Spoke with my ISP (Digiweb) yesterday and their technical support cannot seem to able to get to the route cause. It will be interesting to see if others are experiencing the same issues and who their ISP are.

Which ISP are you using?

I'm with Vodafone.

cunnijo wrote: »
    Pings are also high to Irish servers (usually 3 now 11). Spoke with my ISP (Digiweb) yesterday and their technical support cannot seem to able to get to the route cause. It will be interesting to see if others are experiencing the same issues and who their ISP are.

Which ISP are you using?

pings with Digiweb are generally higher than other Irish providers, I've heard the same about their pings on OpenEir too.

I switched over to my own D-Link Gigabit AC router too instead of Vodafone's "Gigabox".

Will test out both with a laptop with a direct Gigabit port and revert.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭LFCFan

Got Siro installed.

I'm maxing out around 940Mbits and consistently get around 210mbits up. Previously I was struggling to get over 800 and it was due to certain software that was installed or how it was configured. Stuff like torrent software or some virus scanners. Worth looking at things like that if hardware isn't the issue

Advertisement