Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SIRO - ESB/Vodafone Fibre To The Home

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,099 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

No casual broadband consumer on this island needs 940mbps broadband. End of story.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

No casual broadband consumer on this island needs 940mbps broadband. End of story.

So what?

What do you think 'need' has to do with it?

You could equally post on a motors forum and say

No casual driver on this island needs a powerful vehicle. End of story.

None of which matters ...... people still buy what they WANT not necessarily only what they NEED.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,878 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

not everyone needs it but some certainly do, especially for that 100 (Eir) and 250 (siro) upload.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

It's a free market, many of the people willing to pay for 1Gbps are helping subsidise some of the cost for some on slower packages.
    If you have the money and it saves you a bit of time occasionally why wouldn't some people avail of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Gonzo wrote: »
    not everyone needs it but some certainly do, especially for that 100 (Eir) and 250 (siro) upload.

200 Upload for SIRO. And yes, upload is under rated. It is a deciding factor when I choose provider. Not the download.

/M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭skodacb

Maybe 1Gbps is slightly overkill, but the same was probably said when 56k modems came along and computer CPU started clocking over 100Mhz.

It's better to build a system that can be easily upgraded over the coming years and decades to meet the ever increasing connected world now than fall behind.

I'd say within the next 5 years gigabit broadband will be the minimum speed the majority of service providers will offer with speeds topping 10Gbps for consumers.

skodacb wrote: »
    Maybe 1Gbps is slightly overkill, but the same was probably said when 56k modems came along and computer CPU started clocking over 100Mhz.

It's better to build a system that can be easily upgraded over the coming years and decades to meet the ever increasing connected world now than fall behind.

I'd say within the next 5 years gigabit broadband will be the minimum speed the majority of service providers will offer with speeds topping 10Gbps for consumers.

Oh it will. Undisputedly.

But the issue is entitlement. And not even knowing or educating yourself to the point of knowing .. why your platform can't maximize your broadband connection limits. And yes .. we have arrived in that sort of decade.

In my opinion we should introduce an internet driving license to use the internet. It has gone that bad. (And yes .. i will become even more unpopular for that opinion)

/M

skodacb wrote: »

Believe me almost no one was saying that about 56k, high latency, low res images that you can see scroll down the screen as they struggle to load.
    2 hours to download a tiny patch for a game. 20 minutes to download a heavily compressed mp3.
    Streaming video would easily be possible on these old machines but the bandwidth was not there.
    I had friends in the Netherlands in 1998 who had 500k, I was very jealous.

tuxy wrote: »
    Believe me almost no one was saying that about 56k, high latency, low res images that you can see scroll down the screen as they struggle to load.
    2 hours to download a tiny patch for a game. 20 minutes to download a heavily compressed mp3.
    Streaming video would easily be possible on these old machines but the bandwidth was not there.
    I had friends in the Netherlands in 1998 who had 500k, I was very jealous.

I was a system administrator for a small telco in '97. We had a 2 Mbit/s leased line in the office. And I lived 500m from the office. So i build a wireless link across then, across that stretch. 2 Mbit half duplex. But it was light years ahead anything you could buy .... as an average pleb.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Marlow wrote: »
    Oh it will. Undisputedly.

But the issue is entitlement. And not even knowing or educating yourself to the point of knowing .. why your platform can't maximize your broadband connection limits. And yes .. we have arrived in that sort of decade.

In my opinion we should introduce an internet driving license to use the internet. It has gone that bad. (And yes .. i will become even more unpopular for that opinion)

/M

Maybe, just maybe, if it was really designed to educate people.

Euro PC Driving licence was a disaster ...... people got their pieces of paper but were even more deprived educationally because they not thought they had the knowledge required.

Maybe if everyone was required to pass basic technical qualifications, not become familiar with some dumbed down promotional material for a few vested interests .......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭gramo

My Ubiguiti Dream Machine just arrived and I'm trying to configure it to work with Vodafone.
    Set the wan to pppoe on vlan 10 and added my Vodafone router serial number ect as the username but for some reason wired speed test are coming back at 200.

Is there anything else I need to add? This device should be well able to handle it.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭cunnijo

I am currently experiencing an issue where my 1GB SIRO connection has seen the speeds drop by over 50% to an average of 360 - 430MB from 890 - 935MB. This also happens to coincide with the end of the 12 month promotional offer on December 1st. My ISP is Digiweb and I have already been on to support twice and it still has not been resolved. I suspect the issue is at their end but they cannot seem to admit it. They are claiming the issue is at my end despite all working fine up to the end of November.

Has anyone else experienced this? If so was it resolved and how quickly?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭bluemachaveli

gramo wrote: »
    My Ubiguiti Dream Machine just arrived and I'm trying to configure it to work with Vodafone.
    Set the wan to pppoe on vlan 10 and added my Vodafone router serial number ect as the username but for some reason wired speed test are coming back at 200.

Is there anything else I need to add? This device should be well able to handle it.

Are you running the speedtest on a computer or in the Unifi Controller interface? My USG never hits above 150 in Unifi test, but 800+ on a computer connected direct.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,099 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

Use the Network Speed Test app for Windows from the Microsoft store.
    I saw a savage difference (improvement) compared to speedtest.net via Chrome / Firefox.

CoBo55 wrote: »
    Put your hand in your pocket and upgrade your hardware.
    OK tell me a router that is better than my current Asus Rog Rapture GT-AX11000 and I'll gladly buy it if you can guarantee it will give me 900+ download.

Are you running the speedtest on a computer or in the Unifi Controller interface? My USG never hits above 150 in Unifi test, but 800+ on a computer connected direct.

It's hit and miss really.. speed test on the UDM has started to hit 900 down and 200 up.
    It can drop down to 50 sometimes. Witless laptop was hitting up to 600 and just now it's getting 9.

I think 1Gbps is still at the point where testing that speed is problematic as there are a number of things that can prevent you from getting full speed that are not the fault of the ISP.
    Were you getting consistent speeds before changing router?

tuxy wrote: »
    I think 1Gbps is still at the point where testing that speed is problematic as there are a number of things that can prevent you from getting full speed that are not the fault of the ISP.
    Were you getting consistent speeds before changing router?

I'm only with Vodafone a month and have nothing but trouble using there own router. Connections dropping on a daily basis. There in the process of sending me a new one as a last resort before allowing me out of my contract.

I've opened a ComReg case and they have 10 business days. 4 business days ago the router was ordered but still hasn't arrived.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,045 ✭✭✭CoBo55

OK tell me a router that is better than my current Asus Rog Rapture GT-AX11000 and I'll gladly buy it if you can guarantee it will give me 900+ download.

There's more to a network than a router..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Oho another user of an Asus Spider router! :D

(Ps. Best router on the market IMO)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,045 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Infini wrote: »
    Oho another user of an Asus Spider router! :D

(Ps. Best router on the market IMO)

If you live in a castle...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭gar

Have to say the Vodafone gigabox is dogsh!te on 2.4ghz compared to the Fritz box I had with digiweb. Keeping an eye out for a decent price on a Netgear nighthawk x4s

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

Up and running with Vodafone the past number of months. I have noticed connections dropping quite a lot so considering changing the router.

But something very strange i have noticed is access to Google Services. I use drive, hangouts, docs etc extensively for work. Across multiple devices on the Vodafone connection, it seems to hang and fail to load. Switch to my Vodafone hotspot on mobile and it works fine.

Any ideas what might cause this? Will log with Vodafone but assumed I may get quicker info here!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,024 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Got siro this morning, have to say it is rubbish so far. Speeds fluctuating from 440mps to about 1mps. I'm with sky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

niallo27 wrote: »
    Got siro this morning, have to say it is rubbish so far. Speeds fluctuating from 440mps to about 1mps. I'm with sky.

I have it a few months. If I connect with 2.4 wifi i am lucky to get 10 or 15mb.
    Powerline adaptors for ethernet which I use for a laptop in a shed and home automation hub, 100mb
    Cat 5e direct wired to the router 930mb.

So as can be seen, a perfectly fine service can be seriously diminished by the network setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,536 ✭✭✭✭Varik

So messing with the Gigabox router, am I missing something or is there no QOS feature on this.

Varik wrote: »
    So messing with the Gigabox router, am I missing something or is there no QOS feature on this.

QoS is only any good to you, if the entire network and upstream supports it. I don't think Vodafone really is interested in QoS :)

/M

QoS is only any good to you, if the entire network and upstream supports it. I don't think Vodafone really is interested in QoS :)

/M

Not true in the slightest.

Varik wrote: »
    Not true in the slightest.

Of course you will get advantages from setting QoS, but only across the networks, that honor it. You will never get the full benefit across the internet. It was designed mainly for local networks.

The reason it actually makes any difference across the internet is because a lot of internet providers have gear, that has standard settings for QoS and they didn't bother to touch them.

/M

• Advertisement

Of course you will get advantages from setting QoS, but only across the networks, that honor it. You will never get the full benefit across the internet. It was designed mainly for local networks.

The reason it actually makes any difference across the internet is because a lot of internet providers have gear, that has standard settings for QoS and they didn't bother to touch them.

/M

I only care about local, and to just managed the bottleneck.

Setting priorities and bandwidth allocations so some **** does **** it up for everyone by downloading torrent.

Advertisement