Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SIRO - ESB/Vodafone Fibre To The Home

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭boardzz

25 first 6 months
    50 next 6
    55 thereafter

Where u getting your numbers?
    Eir FTTH?

I’m checking SIRO service

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

boardzz wrote: »
    25 first 6 months
    50 next 6
    55 thereafter

Where u getting your numbers?
    Eir FTTH?

I’m checking SIRO service

Link please, where you found those prices ... if you checked my links, you would have seen, that they referred to SIRO and OpenEIR pricing. And that's the official pricing table published on their website valid since 14.10.2019.

I mean, the least you could have done is checking the links, I provided.

/M

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,878 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I don't have Siro and probably never will but I'd rather pay an extra 60 euros for Airwire over Vodafone any day. Vodaphone has a 1tb cap per month and a terrible modem (especially for Wifi) with widespread problems, Airwire has a fantastic modem and no caps or fair usage to worry about and excellent support here on boards.

I went to the order page on Vodafone and it’s 280 euro cheaper than Airwire

I went to the order page on Vodafone and it’s 280 euro cheaper than Airwire

Based on 12 months so. Not 18 months. Because that is the contract term they state. It goes up again after 12 months.

Also .. there is an additional 5 EUR/month discount per month within the 12 months, if you order online .. alright. Which could bring it down a bit more ... 60 EUR (because it does not apply on the 25 in the first 6 months). So by my calculations a difference of 132 EUR then. But not 280 EUR.

The pricing you stated makes no sense according to their price sheet. So maybe they have not updated their online orders and just tell you afterwards that price is not valid.

/M

• Advertisement

Do you work for Airwire because you’re being very defensive.
    Vodafone are offering 280 cheaper over the 18 months. Get over it

Do you work for Airwire because you’re being very defensive.
    Vodafone are offering 280 cheaper over the 18 months. Get over it

If price is all that matters to you, go with that. Simples. But let us know, how you get on.

Personally I deal in realities. And yes, I work in the industry. If things don't add up, I pick somebody where things add up. Does not have to be Airwire. But Vodafone ... i have yet to get consistent pricing from them. Nevermind the issues dealing with their support or their billing team as a consumer.

/M

I'm gutted - in a large town, SIRO infrastructure installed well over a year ago, but my status on the online checker changed from "available within 6 months" to "not available". Got this back when I emailed them, which I'm guessing means I'll never get it.
    We have searched your premises and unfortunately, due to topographical difficulties that occurred during the initial build, SIRO could not connect your home at this time.

This was due to the ducting underground being blocked and as a result, SIRO cannot pass its fibre to your home.

At present, we do not have a timeline for resolution.

I'm gutted - in a large town, SIRO infrastructure installed well over a year ago, but my status on the online checker changed from "available within 6 months" to "not available". Got this back when I emailed them, which I'm guessing means I'll never get it.

If the power cable to your home was put in as direct buried cable or there is ESB ducting, that is totally collapsed and can not safely be repaired, then SIRO will remove your premise from the rollout.

The ESB won't let them near that.

That's the norm. There is for example an entire street in Sligo, that didn't get SIRO because of that. They would also have looked at other solutions, like surface retractable. But if only house along the row does not want to accommodate that, then that's a non-runner.

/M

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

Now Live in areas of Rathnew/Wicklow Town

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Juicy432

Anyone know how to install broadband without an eircode? I've just moved into a new build and can't get vodafone or sky to even consider coming out when I don't have an eircode as of yet. The estate is siro enabled as about 30 or 40 houses already avail of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭opus

Exactly the same for me :(
    Unfortunately, we have found that due to topographical difficulties that arose during the initial build, SIRO was unable to pass its network to your home.

The topographical issues we refer to relate to the underground ducting in your home being direct buried which means that fibre is unable to be passed to your home at present.

Since getting that I've gone the opposite direction to a cheap & cheerful GoMo connection for €9.99 / month to avoid paying the ever increasing VM fees.

• Company Representative Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Digiweb

Juicy432 wrote: »
    Anyone know how to install broadband without an eircode? I've just moved into a new build and can't get vodafone or sky to even consider coming out when I don't have an eircode as of yet. The estate is siro enabled as about 30 or 40 houses already avail of this.

Send us a PM we may be able to help

• Registered Users Posts: 48 greenhorn22

Your only option is to go for a sim only broadband package. I use Three and its ok during the day but sucks at peak times.
    I am going through the same trouble as you. First I had to wait 6 months to get the eircode and even now that I have it, nobody else recognizes it yet. Eir, Sky, anpost, dominos etc.
    Even the eircode confirmation letter I received went to the wrong address (oh the irony).
    Eircode only update every quarter but it looks like it takes another quarter after that for everyone else.

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

If you are within our coverage areas, then we can order SIRO for you. Also, when you have no Eircode.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭stamjoe

How come Vodafone can't activate a line without an engineer call out does anyone know?

• Company Representative Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Digiweb

stamjoe wrote: »
    How come Vodafone can't activate a line without an engineer call out does anyone know?

If it's a Siro line and the ONT is in-situ and online (no missing/damaged cables etc.) then theres no reason why they cant

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭stamjoe

Digiweb wrote: »
    If it's a Siro line and the ONT is in-situ and online (no missing/damaged cables etc.) then theres no reason why they cant

Yeah it's quite annoying, if you order through Vodafone you have to wait for an Engineer even if you have everything installed and ready to go.

stamjoe wrote: »
    Yeah it's quite annoying, if you order through Vodafone you have to wait for an Engineer even if you have everything installed and ready to go.

The reason for that is probably their own (Vodafone) ordering system and the fact, that all routers get installed by the engineers, where other providers actually just ship you the router preconfigured.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 20 nigeemac999

Hi wonder if anyone had this problem rang sky today to get ftth everything was going great she said router would be here tomorrow and be installed friday paid and all next thing she put me on hold for about 5 mins and came back and said there was a problem with their systems since before christmas what ever that ment and they didnt know when they could install it from getting it friday to no idea not even a ball park date seems weird this happen to anyone else? thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭TBi

My line is down at home. LOS blinking red. Is there anyway to check if service is working in my area? I logged a fault with vodafone already but no other information yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭pump

Installation..

So has any one had the engineer connect the siro cat 5 to a existing cat 5 the builder has left in the telecons box on the side of a new house?

On houses in our estate I noticed they brought the cable directly from the manhole in the footpath direct to the small telecoms box on the house then out of the side of the box along the external wall and drilled through the house wall to bring the cable inside the building.

Surley they can connect the new siro cat 5 cable to the existing builders cat 5 in the telecom box to save drilling holes in walls? is drilling the wall just the quickest way they have found to do the job?

I found this with sky and another broadband provider when setting up aerials until I told them they way I want it installed and was no issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭TBi

The siro cable is optical, not cat5. It needs to be brought into the house to connect to the box which converts it to ethernet.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭pump

TBi wrote: »
    The siro cable is optical, not cat5. It needs to be brought into the house to connect to the box which converts it to ethernet.

Makes sense, I was told it was cat 5.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

pump wrote: »
    Makes sense, I was told it was cat 5.

Yup SIRO use GPON just like most FTTH around the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,045 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Crews back in Enniscorthy today doing plenty of work.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭atlantean

Technically you should not need an eircode — when eircode was introduced it was stated that people did not have to use it, it was optional!

Unfortunately companies seem to be insisting on an eircode which goes against the official eircode useage guide and because of this a lot of people are having difficulty getting utility connections.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭atlantean

My Experience Of Vodafone Siro December 2019

Customer
    Des Griffin
    Killarney Town
    Kerry
    Customer Number 6041***598
    CRN S1VF00056***
    Tel Number 064 509** (Not working)

Dear Vodafone on May of this year
    You contacted me about moving to your
    New Siro Fibre Broadband
    Promising me speeds of up to
    1GB

A team of workers came and dug a big hole at the side of my house
    One evening filled it in with concrete
    And told me they could not find my ESB
    Cable
    A few weeks later you called me again
    And told me you had dug the whole in the incorrect place
    And that a team of men would call again
    And dig another hole

A few days later the workers called and dug
    Another hole in my concrete path
    Again in the wrong place
    A third and final hole was dug at the back of my house and the ESB cable was found
    The fibre optic cable was pulled up and stuck to the wall
    A number of weeks after that two technicians came and installed my fibre optic broadband

I lost my home telephone number
    064 6639*** of 21 years
    Which no one told me about
    The internet worked well for a few weeks on
    Initial speeds of 800mbps
    After One month
    it started to go downhill
    Speeds were down to 100mbps

Over the past three weeks of December 2019
    Speeds were down to 15 mbps

Nothing works iPads Netflix
    Computers nothing for my whole family
    You where contacted on 1907

With Waiting times on every occasions of up to 1 hour
    And the connection was tested

Last Sunday the 8th of December 2019
    Your technician spent 1 hour testing the connection Again
    with me plugging cables in and out of my computer doing speed tests

He concluded my router was faulty
    And a new one would arrive on Tuesday
    He took the serial number of the faulty one
    And told me to be ready to box up the old one.

By Wednesday there was still no sign of a router
    I called you again waiting 50 mins
    To be told my new router had been rejected.

With out as much as text email phone call from you
    You stated you would have to test the connection again
    And You would call me this morning 12/12/2019 at
    11am

I took the morning off work
    Christmas is coming my children are receiving iPads PlayStation all internet dependent products

I now have no home phone
    And Zero internet the router has stopped
    Completely

No one called no text email nothing
    I again called you waiting 40 mins

I was told a new router would be sent
    I asked to speak to a supervisor
    None available
    I asked for a tracking number
    None available
    I was told a supervisor would call me
    No one called
    I was told I would be emailed a tracking number all lies
    I have nothing

I’m 50 years of age this has been the worst
    Consumer experience of my life
    I find your treatment of me and my family
    And my family home with its patch work
    Paths front and back destroyed by you appalling
    (Pictures available)
    I work in a factory of 1000 people
    As a CNC programmer
    I will be informing everyone of your
    Fibre optic disaster
    Your customer treatment
    And the 3 holes around my house

Thursday 12/12/19
    After 3 requests denied to speak to the supervisor
    Over the past week
    I have asked to open up a
    Customer complaint number
    (The only way to lodge a complaint)

I have been told I will be contacted in
    24hrs
    Still no contact
    I have contacted the courier company
    K&N
    Myself and have been told
    I will receive my router next week
    Some time

“And to make sure I have the old router and
    Somebody over 18 to sign for it on the day”

My family still has zero internet or a
    Landline telephone
    No contact from Siro or Vodafone
    We still do not know if the router is
    The problem and nobody at Siro Vodafone
    Ireland Cares

On Monday 16th I again had to make 3 phone calls to K&N to receive my new router
    Which resulted in me receiving this at 18:20
    After I threatened them that my time and patience was up

Please Note
    During this time i never received any
    Phone call text message or email
    From Vodafone whom I have been with for
    Over 4 years.

Until today to get this
    Complaint Reference Number

Thursday 19th December

New router made no difference
    I was told technical support would contact me Thursday 4pm
    No phone call message nothing
    I contacted them at 8pm
    When the speed from there
    1GB server drops to 15mbps

They tested the connection it took one hour
    Of plugging in/out cables to there router
    Doing various speed tests on a laptop
    And an iPhone X

Vodafone finally admitted that I was experiencing slow speeds after a weeks of
    Testing
    And they will now send out a technician team
    As usual they could not
    Say when,
    “ we will be in touch”
    Looks like no internet for my family for
    Xmas
    My children’s Xmas toys will be of no use on
    Christmas Day
    When I informed there representative that
    I was going to post my experience on
    Boards.ie
    They said “they didn’t care”

These conversations are recorded
    Go Check It.

Buyers Beware.

You say you lost your phone number — why was that?

I’m about to get SIRO installed and I know my phone line will be changing to voip but no one said I’d have to change my number — this house has had that number for over 40 years and I don’t intend changing it now! It was a big enough deal when it changed from a 6 digit to a 7 digit number!

Has your problems been sorted yet?

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,120 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

atlantean wrote: »
    You say you lost your phone number — why was that?

I’m about to get SIRO installed and I know my phone line will be changing to voip but no one said I’d have to change my number — this house has had that number for over 40 years and I don’t intend changing it now! It was a big enough deal when it changed from a 6 digit to a 7 digit number!

Has your problems been sorted yet?
    I had SIRO installed here some months ago now and kept my existing landline number without much inconvenience.

I'm with Digiweb, not Vodafone, not that it should make any difference in keeping your number. I'm glad I didn't endure what Des had to deal with though. Vodafone looking very inept with his install.

• Advertisement

byte wrote: »
    I had SIRO installed here some months ago now and kept my existing landline number without much inconvenience.

I'm with Digiweb, not Vodafone, not that it should make any difference in keeping your number. I'm glad I didn't endure what Des had to deal with though. Vodafone looking very inept with his install.

It is very much down to the provider. The larger providers just don't care enough.

/M

Advertisement