Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SIRO - ESB/Vodafone Fibre To The Home

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28 alpha2003_

(Dublin 13), I Noticed Siro were connecting homes just outside my estate, I emailed them asking if my estate would be included in the rollout and got this email back, so whats next? Will they have to install new ducting?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,251 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

alpha2003_ wrote: »
    (Dublin 13), I Noticed Siro were connecting homes just outside my estate, I emailed them asking if my estate would be included in the rollout and got this email back, so whats next? Will they have to install new ducting?

I read two issues - one, power cables into your are seem to be congested and prob direct buried. Seems the same for your building, direct buried and not in a duct.
    For the area, tbh they don't "have to" do anything. If it doesn't make financial sense for them they prob won't enter the estate.
    If it does, do SIRO do aerial fiber to buildings?

Other option - if you know someone outside of your estate and is able to get SIRO (but doesn't need it?) and might be 'line of sight' maybe get it at their place and setup a wireless link between you/them

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

alpha2003_ wrote: »

ESB Networks has connected your estate using direct buried cables. So there is no ducting in the first place.

So what SIRO does in some cases is use a surface mounted solution instead. That was either technically or politically not possible for your estate or road.

They can't install new ducting. There is no ducting in the first plcae. And would they need to apply for planning first and the cost to do so would blow the scope of their rollout out of proportions. So they don't connect estates like that at all.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

KeRbDoG wrote: »
    do SIRO do aerial fiber to buildings?

SIRO do overhead, underground and surface mounted fibre. But they do not install their own ducting nor do they erect their own poles.

They will only enable estates, where ESB networks infrastructure allows to do this. Everything else gets omitted.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭atlantean

byte wrote: »
    I had SIRO installed here some months ago now and kept my existing landline number without much inconvenience.

I'm with Digiweb, not Vodafone, not that it should make any difference in keeping your number. I'm glad I didn't endure what Des had to deal with though. Vodafone looking very inept with his install.

They installed mine yesterday, my phone line hasn't migrated over yet but the installer said my existing number should be up and running in about 2 days. I was previously with Vodafone so as I'm staying with them there shouldn't be an issue.

One thing I will say though is that the installation from start to finish was done very well, I couldn't fault it at all.

• Advertisement

KeRbDoG wrote: »
    do SIRO do aerial fiber to buildings?

I'm assuming you mean do they provide overhead cabling, that's how mine was installed. The only problem with this method is that they need to get permission to run their cable on each house. Only about have the houses in my estate have been wired up for SIRO because someone along the way didn't give there permission for the cable to be run on there house so they stopped at that point.

To be fair to the installers the cable is in a trunking and very neat, you'd hardly notice it apart from where it leaves my house and spans across to my neighbours house.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭moshea

Are there any/many folks on here who are just plain ould happy with their SIRO? ie Get almost 1Gb, find it a stable product (whoever the provider), and generally have no issues .. ?

It'd be easy to read this thread and think that the majority of people have issues (appreciate thats just the nature of the internet), so I'd be interested to hear from people who are mostly just happy out.

Thanks,
    M.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭gar

Had digiweb initially and the Fritz box. Perfect service and router pretty good too.
    Moved to Vodafone for price reduction, that was an ordeal getting setup but working. The Gigabox from Vodafone is rubbish WiFi.
    Just installed my own router this week to replace it and speeds are night and day better. Got a Netgear 4XS (R7800) if anyone interested

gar wrote: »
    The Gigabox from Vodafone is rubbish WiFi.
    Just installed my own router this week to replace it and speeds are night and day better. Got a Netgear 4XS (R7800) if anyone interested

I agree the Vodafone router has crap WiFi. I was considering getting a Netgear Nighthawk myself. I am using a TP-Link PA7010P powerline adapter which was working great on my previous 100Mb connection as I was getting the same speed from it as I was out of the router when connected using ethernet cables but they can't handle the gigabit speeds even though they are rated as gigabit compatible. I'm only getting about 120Mbps with cat 6 cables which I don't really understand. It is possibly the actual power lines that are showing it down.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭mcbert

atlantean wrote: »
    I agree the Vodafone router has crap WiFi. I was considering getting a Netgear Nighthawk myself. I am using a TP-Link PA7010P powerline adapter which was working great on my previous 100Mb connection as I was getting the same speed from it as I was out of the router when connected using ethernet cables but they can't handle the gigabit speeds even though they are rated as gigabit compatible. I'm only getting about 120Mbps with cat 6 cables which I don't really understand. It is possibly the actual power lines that are showing it down.

I dont have SIRO yet, but I am buying a new house and have been looking into how to ensure 500Mbps ish around the house, for when fiber finally comes. Ive been researching all I can and it seems ALL powerline adapters are going to be limited to 100-140Mbps - even with good wiring, even if they are rated for GB speeds. Apparently that is normal. Instead of powerline, I'm going to try 2-3 APs in a mesh, one on each floor, each of them wired to CAT5/6. And for the shed/office out the back, Im thinking of a pair of these. Its not a big garden, so they should manage 500-600Mbps as far as I can tell: Ubiquiti LiteBeam LBE-5AC-Gen2 . Looks like 120 euro or so for the pair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭pg17

mcbert wrote: »
    I dont have SIRO yet, but I am buying a new house and have been looking into how to ensure 500Mbps ish around the house, for when fiber finally comes. Ive been researching all I can and it seems ALL powerline adapters are going to be limited to 100-140Mbps - even with good wiring, even if they are rated for GB speeds. Apparently that is normal. Instead of powerline, I'm going to try 2-3 APs in a mesh, one on each floor, each of them wired to CAT5/6. And for the shed/office out the back, Im thinking of a pair of these. Its not a big garden, so they should manage 500-600Mbps as far as I can tell: Ubiquiti LiteBeam LBE-5AC-Gen2 . Looks like 120 euro or so for the pair.

The Ubiquiti site claims the throughput of the device is 450+ Mbps - why would you expect a higher speed ? The Ethernet interface is 10/100/1000 - your speed in the shed will be constrained by the wireless interface and the routers connected to the LightBeams.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭mcbert

pg17 wrote: »
    The Ubiquiti site claims the throughput of the device is 450+ Mbps - why would you expect a higher speed ? The Ethernet interface is 10/100/1000 - your speed in the shed will be constrained by the wireless interface and the routers connected to the LightBeams.

Because the technology the device uses is capable of much more than 450, the device is designed for longer distances than I will be using so I would expect closer to theoretical max, there are also various videos on youtube of people tuning them to 500/550 over longer distances than a back garden.

But hey, if I'm all wrong and I'm limited to 450, that will do fine too.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Cork981

Anyone else seeing congestion on Siro with Vodafone in the evenings ?

I’m aware of >5 customers in Cork now experience very bad congestion with DL dropping below 30mb in evenings.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Siro finally after calling to the door to get permission to run wires here in my part of cork city. Sadly they said it could take months or never due to people refusing or landlords who own the rented houses not replying. Here's to hoping

Siro finally after calling to the door to get permission to run wires here in my part of cork city. Sadly they said it could take months or never due to people refusing or landlords who own the rented houses not replying. Here's to hoping

I’m sure every area is different but it was about 10 months from when I gave permission to run the cables across my house to when it went live in my area!

There are 41 houses in my estate but only about 25 have SIRO — apparently someone wouldn’t agree to allow the cables cross their house so anyone after that point has to live with fibre to the cabinet which when I had it was about 80Mbps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Awful. Will there be sections of large housing estates in urban areas that still won't have FTTH after the NBP is finally complete? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

atlantean wrote: »
    I’m sure every area is different but it was about 10 months from when I gave permission to run the cables across my house to when it went live in my area!

There are 41 houses in my estate but only about 25 have SIRO — apparently someone wouldn’t agree to allow the cables cross their house so anyone after that point has to live with fibre to the cabinet which when I had it was about 80Mbps.

Well the good news is I am the very first house in the estate, so hopefully they run it even if a few doors down won't let it! Have virgin 500mb atm but get nowhere near that even on ethernet so siro would be great to get. Can move back to sky tv too :p

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭boardzz

Just got Vodafone Siro installed in past hour.
    Speed is 170Mbps Download and 190Mbps Upload for the 1Gbps product.

TV channels are stalling every few minutes.

I restarted the gigabox but still same speeds.

boardzz wrote: »

That can’t be right surely!

Only 170Mbps down? I have the same package and I’m getting 930Mbps down.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Cork981

Where are you located ?

I’m in Cork and getting very low speeds on Vodafone Siro, it gets much worse in the evenings.

• Advertisement

I'm in Galway City.
    I'll give it a couple of days but if it stays like that I'll cancel and send everything back.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭giggsirish

Are those speeds wireless/on Wi-Fi? If so then yes they maybe correct. If wired then make sure you are using at least a cat5e cable direct to the gigabox

Also- Are you referring to the Siri/Vodafone channels freezing?

Yes it’s wired and I’m using the Ethernet cables that came with the gigabox.
    The channels are coming through Vodafone tv service via SIRO.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭giggsirish

Seems odd then yes for sure. The site you use check can also vary a lot from time to time. I get 990Mb sometimes and under 200Mb other times. Speed tests are the scourge of the internet and a lot of back send servers cant handle being hit with 1Gb fibre connections

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

giggsirish wrote: »
    Seems odd then yes for sure. The site you use check can also vary a lot from time to time. I get 990Mb sometimes and under 200Mb other times. Speed tests are the scourge of the internet and a lot of back send servers cant handle being hit with 1Gb fibre connections

Yes many of the servers on speedtest and other sites like it are not capable of speeds as high as 1Gbps.

You need to ring Vodafone and get them to check the connection. Did the installers do a speed test before they left? If so what speed did they get?

You are on a different system to me as I don’t have the TV package, just broadband and phone but either way you should be getting much faster speeds than your are getting at the moment!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

Anyone have external house pics of their siro install. My house is in a relatively new estate, is drilling a hole through the wall necessary?

• Registered Users Posts: 48 greenhorn22

Irish_rat wrote: »
    Anyone have external house pics of their siro install. My house is in a relatively new estate, is drilling a hole through the wall necessary?

cables.jpg

Hope this helps ;)
    How else would they get the cable in if not through a hole?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

cables.jpg

Hope this helps ;)
    How else would they get the cable in if not through a hole?

Okay I'm cancelling. I was hoping to see a semi-d install

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭cunnijo

SIRO external box.jpg

Drilling unfortunately is part of the install A cable has to connect the external unit to the internal ONT unit. The work is generally neatly done completely covering the drilled hole.

Advertisement