Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SIRO - ESB/Vodafone Fibre To The Home

Options

Comments

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,801 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

stamjoe wrote: »
    Siro yes
    oscarBravo wrote: »
    And are you moving to or from Vodafone?

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭stamjoe

From another siro ISP to VF, currently have nothing..

Migrations between operators on SIRO use a SIRO account number, analogous to the UAN on the open eir network. Your old operator needs to give you this account number. It will start with SI and two more letters that identify the operator - VF for Vodafone, WN for Westnet, etc - followed by a bunch of digits.

Once Vodafone have this account number, they can migrate the connection. They could also have done so without you cancelling the original connection.

Migrations between operators on SIRO use a SIRO account number, analogous to the UAN on the open eir network. Your old operator needs to give you this account number. It will start with SI and two more letters that identify the operator - VF for Vodafone, WN for Westnet, etc - followed by a bunch of digits.

Once Vodafone have this account number, they can migrate the connection. They could also have done so without you cancelling the original connection.

I know that's what I'm saying I already gave them the UAN, that's why they said the line I was active and can't port me, that's the issue, they look up the UAN and it shows active and they can't put me through then with that

I know that's what I'm saying I already gave them the UAN, that's why they said the line I was active and can't port me, that's the issue, they look up the UAN and it shows active and they can't put me through then with that

The entire point of the account number is to be able to port an active line. It's by no means the first time I've seen Vodafone unable to do something that a competent ISP would be able to do without hesitation.

• Advertisement
  • Company Representative Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Digiweb

Sounds like VF are trying to complete a "New Connection Order" and their systems say no. They need to complete an "Active Connection Order" using the Siro account number beginning in SI. We complete these daily, straight forward.

Digiweb wrote: »
    Sounds like VF are trying to complete a "New Connection Order" and their systems say no. They need to complete an "Active Connection Order" using the Siro account number beginning in SI. We complete these daily, straight forward.

That's exactly what it sounds like, I keep giving them the UAN but the eircode is always their priority when I ring to try place the order, if you try do it online then your order never goes anywhere it just get cancelled after a period of time as it doesn't have the UAN on the order form. What a pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭SierraTango

So I finally heard from SIRO why they had skipped our row of houses in a new estate. "contractors encountered a blockage while trying to connect". They've advised that they can still connect but it will be delayed.

Any one have experience of this? Also, the ducts have to be relatively new so I'm surprised at a blockage!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

Have had SIRO for about 2 years now. On the 150Mbps package everything was great, getting pretty much max speed. Upgraded to the gigabit package and have only seen my speeds go over 150Mbps once. Have been trying to troubleshoot it with Vodafone since last summer but they keep saying there's nothing more they can do.

I'm convinced it's an issue on their side as they originally said there was a problem upgrading the package on their side (order was stuck).

What do I need to do to get an engineer to come out? Anyone had this issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭cunnijo

fifth wrote: »
    Have had SIRO for about 2 years now. On the 150Mbps package everything was great, getting pretty much max speed. Upgraded to the gigabit package and have only seen my speeds go over 150Mbps once. Have been trying to troubleshoot it with Vodafone since last summer but they keep saying there's nothing more they can do.

I'm convinced it's an issue on their side as they originally said there was a problem upgrading the package on their side (order was stuck).

What do I need to do to get an engineer to come out? Anyone had this issue?

Yes I am currently experiencing this but in the opposite direction. I have the 1GB package from Digiweb. For the 1st year up to December last my speeds were constant at between 885-940mb but since then it has dropped to between 250-500mb. I contacted technical support who could not understand such a sudden drop and escalated it to 2nd level support. I was asked to supply test results so that a case could be logged with SIRO. This I did on more than 1 occasion. SIRO's response is that there is no issue with their connection or equipment and results from new installs are showing full speeds (no proof provided). The next stage is that Digiweb 2nd level support request a field engineer from SIRO to call to my home to investigate the issue. They also state there may be a cost of up to €200 for this if nothing found, which I am not happy about as I suspect like you is Digiweb is at fault and not SIRO.. I would not made the original call would not have been logged if there wasn't a genuine reason for it.

So in relation to an engineer call out be wary of the possible cost.

• Advertisement
  • Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

We have updated the database on our availability checker today.

The update includes new premises in Belarmine, Galway and Limerick.

On SIRO, we currently cover Athlone, Clarecastle, Ennis, Galway, Limerick, Oranmore, Portlaoise, Shannon, Sixmilebridge, Sligo and South Dublin.

The availability checker can be found here: https://www.airwire.ie/avail

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

That's exactly what it sounds like, I keep giving them the UAN but the eircode is always their priority when I ring to try place the order, if you try do it online then your order never goes anywhere it just get cancelled after a period of time as it doesn't have the UAN on the order form. What a pain.

It's simply down to how Vodafone handles the connections in their systems. Basically, they made a mess of their own provisioning system and now can't handle migrations.

Shows their competence.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭Shy_Dave!

Currently in a logjam kinda situation and looking for advice.
    I'm a developer working from home and having to use my mobile hotspot which is getting terrible speeds.
    We are just moved into a new house we are renting and the previous tentants have satellite internet (I think).

Ordered SIRO through Vodafone on the 6th Jan.

Appointment for an engineer visit was set for the 16th Jan.

On 16th was informed by SIRO additional work was needed (because cable would be from the top of electriity pole to house ESB would have to do this bit for them).

Advised work would be done by 31st.

ESB came and ran the cable on 31st.

Since then I have called Vodafone on the 2nd Feb for a new appointment.

Vodafone rang me back today to give me SIRO's number.

Rang SIRO and they say ESB haven't signed off on the work being complete yet and once they do a new appointment would be scheduled.

I'm fearful it'll be another week before ESB sign off and then another week+ before the appointment. Any ideas? Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭atlantean

Shy_Dave! wrote: »
    Currently in a logjam kinda situation and looking for advice.
    I'm a developer working from home and having to use my mobile hotspot which is getting terrible speeds.
    We are just moved into a new house we are renting and the previous tentants have satellite internet (I think).

Ordered SIRO through Vodafone on the 6th Jan.

Appointment for an engineer visit was set for the 16th Jan.

On 16th was informed by SIRO additional work was needed (because cable would be from the top of electriity pole to house ESB would have to do this bit for them).

Advised work would be done by 31st.

ESB came and ran the cable on 31st.

Since then I have called Vodafone on the 2nd Feb for a new appointment.

Vodafone rang me back today to give me SIRO's number.

Rang SIRO and they say ESB haven't signed off on the work being complete yet and once they do a new appointment would be scheduled.

I'm fearful it'll be another week before ESB sign off and then another week+ before the appointment. Any ideas? Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

I had the cables installed on my house for a couple of months before they became “live” and I could have the actual fibre cable hooked in and brought into my house!

The main difference with me was that the cables coming across my house were installed as part of the local rollout and not just for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭Shy_Dave!

atlantean wrote: »
    I had the cables installed on my house for a couple of months before they became “live” and I could have the actual fibre cable hooked in and brought into my house!

The main difference with me was that the cables coming across my house were installed as part of the local rollout and not just for me!

Ah, my heart sank reading that first part! Luckily I think our road has had customers using SIRO for a while so the rollout has already somewhat happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Cork981

We have updated the database on our availability checker today.

The update includes new premises in Belarmine, Galway and Limerick.

On SIRO, we currently cover Athlone, Clarecastle, Ennis, Galway, Limerick, Oranmore, Portlaoise, Shannon, Sixmilebridge, Sligo and South Dublin.

The availability checker can be found here: https://www.airwire.ie/avail

What date is the OpenEir FTTH address list from ? OpenEir/KN signed off on the IFN work in our estate last week and said it can take a few days before retailers get the update that services are available ?

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

Cork981 wrote: »
    What date is the OpenEir FTTH address list from ? OpenEir/KN signed off on the IFN work in our estate last week and said it can take a few days before retailers get the update that services are available ?

This is the SIRO thread, but the dates for each of the database updates are in each individual product box, when you look up the eircode. That tells you precisely, when the data was handed to us.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,808 ✭✭✭b.gud

I recently got SIRO installed and service through Vodafone. I don't want to use the Vodafone hub and instead use my own routers which I have running OpenWRT. After looking at this thread I understand that I need to tag the WAN as VLAN10. I connected from the SIRO router to my OpenWRT router via Powerlines and configured my router as follows but I am not geting any internet. Can anyone point me towards the right configuration.

Thanks

qbfZuHa.jpg

• Company Representative Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Digiweb

We've updated our product checkers wirth additional Siro homes passed nationwide.

Quite a lot of new homes passed including first homes now passed in Dunshaughlin & Midleton :)

• Registered Users Posts: 35 emcnamee

The entire point of the account number is to be able to port an active line. It's by no means the first time I've seen Vodafone unable to do something that a competent ISP would be able to do without hesitation.

Exact same situation here. Explained to VF that I have existing SIRO account with another provider. They are adamant that I need to fully cancel my existing connection before they will process my order. 15 days without Internet they say. Guess I'm staying put...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,808 ✭✭✭b.gud

b.gud wrote: »
    I recently got SIRO installed and service through Vodafone. I don't want to use the Vodafone hub and instead use my own routers which I have running OpenWRT. After looking at this thread I understand that I need to tag the WAN as VLAN10. I connected from the SIRO router to my OpenWRT router via Powerlines and configured my router as follows but I am not geting any internet. Can anyone point me towards the right configuration.

Thanks

Got it fixed the VLAN setting were fine but I forgot to change my WAN interface from DHCP to PPPoE

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭F34

Just wondering is anybody using Pure telecom as a provider. What’s the modem they supply like?

F34 wrote: »
    Just wondering is anybody using Pure telecom as a provider. What’s the modem they supply like?

I think they're supplying the Technicolor router. Not a fan of that one at all.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭cunnijo

Folks

Has anyone had the experience of having to get a field engineer from SIRO call to your home as a result of a support call logged through your ISP? If so were you charged for the call out or was it covered by the ISP?

cunnijo wrote: »
    Folks

Has anyone had the experience of having to get a field engineer from SIRO call to your home as a result of a support call logged through your ISP? If so were you charged for the call out or was it covered by the ISP?

That depends entirely on, what the problem is. Unless it's damage caused by you (like your dog chewing the fibre or the ONT), it will be covered by SIRO.

/M

Marlow wrote: »
    I think they're supplying the Technicolor router. Not a fan of that one at all.

/M

They use a Fritzbox 7530.

Anyone know the difference between the new ONT and the first gen rollout ONT? Is it just a combined unit now is all really?

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Azhrei

Virgin has been laying cables recently and we had Vodafone calling to the door saying they'd laid cables months ago and they're now active. Interesting timing! The guy said Virgin wouldn't be live for a few months while they were ready now. That's not what the Virgin representative told me in an email when I contacted them - it'd be a few weeks, they said. But, Vodafone got to us first and we're already with them so we have an engineer coming on Friday.

Been waiting for this for years through three changes of address. Just a few months back my town was still on the planned list, not upcoming, and definitely not available, so I just have to laugh at it. Virgin is laying cables so Vodafone freaks out and starts going around to houses...

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭ELJeff

Might be a stupid question 😵
    Living with partners parents, stuck in contract with eir for a few months, is it possible to get siro in and leave the eir to run out?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭irbx

ELJeff wrote: »
    Might be a stupid question 😵
    Living with partners parents, stuck in contract with eir for a few months, is it possible to get siro in and leave the eir to run out?

Yes it two different systems ( unless you want to retain landline number) I have Siro and fiber to cabinet with eir. Once contact is finished cancelling eir

Advertisement