Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SIRO - ESB/Vodafone Fibre To The Home

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭ELJeff

Sorry in advance for all the questions 😬
    I received an email yesterday from siro to say the address is set up.for siro. how long does it take for the providers to receive this notification, as Vodafone don't see the address as connected.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭cunnijo

ELJeff wrote: »
    Sorry in advance for all the questions ��
    I received an email yesterday from siro to say the address is set up.for siro. how long does it take for the providers to receive this notification, as Vodafone don't see the address as connected.

As far as I know it may be towards the end of the month. However if any sooner both Airwire and Digiweb will post an update on this forum. I have not seen any rollout posts from Vodafone however.

It may be worth entering your Eircode on other providers such as

Digiweb https://digiweb.ie/broadband-checker/
    Airwire https://www.airwire.ie/index.php/avail

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Updates to the providers are typically end of the month. Some providers check in SIRO systems directly also, so can connect you before that. You'd need to ring them and explain, that SIRO lists you as active.

Vodafone .. could take longer. And they are not very flexible with stuff that isn't in their system.

/M

• Company Representative Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Digiweb

Send us a PM if you'd like us to check!

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭spongerobinson

Hi all,

Sorry if there may be a mention of this in a thread already!

It looks like Vodafone have changed their SIRO packages? There seems to be three different packages now - 3 different speeds, for 3 different prices. Initial sign up prices are good, but they go up significantly after year 1. Can anybody recommend a good alternative provider? I'm looking for the best deal possible. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,808 ✭✭✭b.gud

Hi all,

Sorry if there may be a mention of this in a thread already!

It looks like Vodafone have changed their SIRO packages? There seems to be three different packages now - 3 different speeds, for 3 different prices. Initial sign up prices are good, but they go up significantly after year 1. Can anybody recommend a good alternative provider? I'm looking for the best deal possible. Thanks.

When I was looking a month or 2 ago Sky and Vodafone were the most competitive. Sky is €35 a month for a 12 month contract. You can always change providers every 12 months so that you are getting the best deal. Once you have the initial installation done changing providers should be easy

b.gud wrote: »
    When I was looking a month or 2 ago Sky and Vodafone were the most competitive. Sky is €35 a month for a 12 month contract. You can always change providers every 12 months so that you are getting the best deal. Once you have the initial installation done changing providers should be easy

Thank you for the quick reply. I hadn't considered Sky, so will look into it. I'm currently a Vodafone customer for FTTC, but I'm so sick of their crap customer support when I've had any queries. I placed a SIRO order with them a few months back, but they messed me around quite a lot with contract prices and promising stuff on the phone, then not confirming it in writing, so I cancelled the order in the end. I have been looking at Digiweb as I believe they are all Irish-based customer support, but their activation fee is putting me off and their deals are not quite as competitive.

Thank you for the quick reply. I hadn't considered Sky, so will look into it. I'm currently a Vodafone customer for FTTC, but I'm so sick of their crap customer support when I've had any queries. I placed a SIRO order with them a few months back, but they messed me around quite a lot with contract prices and promising stuff on the phone, then not confirming it in writing, so I cancelled the order in the end. I have been looking at Digiweb as I believe they are all Irish-based customer support, but their activation fee is putting me off and their deals are not quite as competitive.

Sky charging a 200 euro one off setup fee - that puts them out of the picture! Pity there is not a huge amount of competition with SIRO at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭atlantean

Your experience of Vodafone is totally different to mine! I’ve been with them since FTTC was launched in my area — I only had one issue during that time which was me dropping connection some nights after 1am. To be fair to them they investigated the issue and made a few changes to my connection which sorted it.

When I order the FTTH from them they couldn’t have been more helpful — very good communication about what was happening! On the day of the install which was set for the AM the installers got delayed due to high winds. I was contacted that morning and asked if they could move the install to the PM — I agreed and they arrived and the installation was carried out. I know it was not Vodafone themselves doing the installation but it all went very smoothly and it is working perfectly since!

atlantean wrote: »
    Your experience of Vodafone is totally different to mine! I’ve been with them since FTTC was launched in my area — I only had one issue during that time which was me dropping connection some nights after 1am. To be fair to them they investigated the issue and made a few changes to my connection which sorted it.

When I order the FTTH from them they couldn’t have been more helpful — very good communication about what was happening! On the day of the install which was set for the AM the installers got delayed due to high winds. I was contacted that morning and asked if they could move the install to the PM — I agreed and they arrived and the installation was carried out. I know it was not Vodafone themselves doing the installation but it all went very smoothly and it is working perfectly since!

Have been a customer myself for years too, and my parents for years before that too. To be fair I never had any major issues either, until a few billing problems this year that took months to sort, plus the issues with the SIRO install. I think their customer support has definitely gone downhill since they relocated their contact centre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Have been a customer myself for years too, and my parents for years before that too. To be fair I never had any major issues either, until a few billing problems this year that took months to sort, plus the issues with the SIRO install. I think their customer support has definitely gone downhill since they relocated their contact centre.

Billing and customer service have always been the biggest culprits with Vodafone. Enough for me to never touch them again, if I can avoid it by any means.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭apophis32

@spongerorobinson,
    Saw your post about the vodafone 3 tier Price's.... any chance you could provide a link, or a screen grab of a page, as i cant seem to find any info on VF's website ( old age )
    thanks in advance

apophis32

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Etnies

Just moved from Digiweb to Vodafone Siro. Router they provided is the SGH3000 is the latest one?

I'm surprised it isn't a wireless AX router.

On a great deal with mobile alresdy and got the new customer offer of 25pm for 6months so had to switch.

apophis32 wrote: »
    @spongerorobinson,
    Saw your post about the vodafone 3 tier Price's.... any chance you could provide a link, or a screen grab of a page, as i cant seem to find any info on VF's website ( old age )
    thanks in advance

apophis32

Hi @apophis32

It's a bit weird. Yesterday I was seeing 3 different options on Vodafone - a 150mb, 500mb, and 1GB package. Today I'm only seeing one option of the 1GB package. I don't know are they maybe messing around with their website or something, but am not seeing the same packages or offers today!

https://www.vodafone.ie/home/eircode-checker is the link I was seeing them on originally, once I'd put in my Eircode etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭apophis32

@spongerobinson,
    I found the page by "tricking" the availability checker, i entered a randon address from a fairly local estate..where i know FTTH is available, hit the check button and the now (only) 2 tier option's page comes up... : )

apophis32

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭jimmad

Had someone call to the door pertaining to be from vodafone, wanted to check to see if the line had been upgraded, we are with digiweb for over a year, stupidly my mother let them in, apparently they sniffed around where the siro was installed, is this legit at 8pm on a thursday evening or do I need to notify the garda?

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭atlantean

jimmad wrote: »
    Had someone call to the door pertaining to be from vodafone, wanted to check to see if the line had been upgraded, we are with digiweb for over a year, stupidly my mother let them in, apparently they sniffed around where the siro was installed, is this legit at 8pm on a thursday evening or do I need to notify the garda?

That sounds very strange!

The fact that it’s Vodafone and ESB that are basically the main two in SIRO if anyone knew about upgrades then they would!

I can’t see why they’d need to access your house — especially when you’re not with them!

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

If this is a SIRO engineer or SIRO third party, then he will and should announce himself as either a SIRO engineer (not "Vodafone") or maybe refer to the actual operator (so Digiweb in your case).

First thing here is to ring Digiweb and check with them, if they can find out, if SIRO in fact was doing a spot inspection on your connection. They should either have a record for that or can check via their account manager.

If it turns out, that no spot inspection was scheduled, then I would urge you to report it to the garda.
    atlantean wrote: »
    That sounds very strange!

The fact that it’s Vodafone and ESB that are basically the main two in SIRO if anyone knew about upgrades then they would!

I can’t see why they’d need to access your house — especially when you’re not with them!

First of all, the fact that ESB Networks and Vodafone own SIRO has nothing to do with SIRO. SIRO is an independant entity that provides an access network and when work is carried out for one of their partners, their engineers either are supposed to present themselves as coming from "SIRO" or on behalf of whichever partner they are carrying work out on the day. They do have that data.

We have had to get SIRO to caution their third party engineers before, because some of them like the sound of telling people they are working for "Vodafone" better, when they in reality are on an installation on behalf of another operator.

This is not something SIRO likes to happen and we as SIRO partners certainly are not happy, when it happens.

Please do send us a private message with your mothers account number and we'll check it out. Definately wasn't a Digiweb employee and really doesn't sound like a visit from a Siro engineer, may have been an overally keen door to door sales person hoping to get your mother to move to another provider!

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭angeline

Hi there. Just wondering if anyone has experience with Sky Ultrafast FTTH. I was looking at prices for Vodafone and they both work out the same. I have Sky tv and they won't charge installation fee. I can't find much about it online so hoping someone has tried them. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭dam099

Etnies wrote: »

I'd be shocked it it was, AX still carries too much of a price premium for ISPs to be giving them out, most go for cheap commoditised routers.

I dont think even Airwire or Digiweb who offer the well regarded Fritzboxes are offering AX yet for their default modem offering.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭dam099

Hi @apophis32

It's a bit weird. Yesterday I was seeing 3 different options on Vodafone - a 150mb, 500mb, and 1GB package. Today I'm only seeing one option of the 1GB package. I don't know are they maybe messing around with their website or something, but am not seeing the same packages or offers today!

https://www.vodafone.ie/home/eircode-checker is the link I was seeing them on originally, once I'd put in my Eircode etc.

Vodafone seem reluctant to make their pricing easily accessible, I was trying to find out prices for the various tiers when my contract term was up and couldnt find them anywhere. Ended up calling them and getting a very good deal on the phone but it made researching in advance and doing price comparisons to other providers very difficult.

Etnies wrote: »
    Router they provided is the SGH3000 is the latest one?

dam099 wrote: »
    I'd be shocked it it was, AX still carries too much of a price premium for ISPs to be giving them out, most go for cheap commoditised routers.

I dont think even Airwire or Digiweb who offer the well regarded Fritzboxes are offering AX yet for their default modem offering.

The AVM Fritz!Box flagship (7590) currently offers 802.11ac-Wave-2 with 4x4 MIMO. That is what in common language is defined as WiFi-5. And we do offer that as an upgrade option.

So on the 7590 the raw 5 GHz speed available is 1733 Mbit/s. Practically, you can achieve 1 Gbit/s on wireless with a device that has the capability to utilize the full standard.

802.11ax is commonly referred to as WiFi-6. The Asus RT-AX88U is a router, that supports this and reports a raw speed on 5 GHz of 4804 Mbit/s. Effectively and if your device can handle it, you can pull 2.5 Gbit/s using wireless.

So in all honesty: it will be completely overkill to supply a 802.11ax router to residential end-users at this point of time. Most won't even have the devices to utilize this and the fastest broadband speed available in Ireland at this point of time is 1 Gbit/s.

Yes, both SIRO have tested XGS-PON already and OpenEIR are already rolling it out, but neither of them offer faster profiles than 1 Gbit/s at this point of time and it will be unlikely, that a consumer product of over 1 Gbit/s will be available in the next 2-3 years nor will it be needed.

NBI, the company that got awarded the NBP, is also rolling out XGS-PON but has not no profile over 1 Gbit/s in their portfolio either currently.

The average operational life of a consumer router is 3-7 years. That is even more shortened with consumers switching providers more frequently or routers getting fried from power outages. So until products of over 1 Gbit/s are available 802.11ax is not needed nor would you be able to utilize it.

The average modern Laptop only has 2 antennas so can only achieve 802.11ac at 2x2 MIMO with a max raw speed of 866 Mbit/s. That's effectively 500 Mbit/s or less. It does not matter if you have a 4x4 MIMO Fritz!Box or a ASUS with 802.11ax then. You would not be able to utilize it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 fitzy1982

Got an email of siro saying they'll have my area set up soon, and I've had tli in my estate months ago so i know the work is done how long more do ye think I'll have to wait?

fitzy1982 wrote: »
    Got an email of siro saying they'll have my area set up soon, and I've had tli in my estate months ago so i know the work is done how long more do ye think I'll have to wait?

If you want to send us a PM we can check

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭mcbert

Is it possible to buy a Fritzbox from Airwire or Digiweb before I become a customer? I'll sign up to SIRO as soon as the digging is done out on the road, but I need to replace rubbish sky router as soon as possible.

Or where do I get a good price? I want to mesh what I get once I do sign up for SIRO...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

mcbert wrote: »
    Is it possible to buy a Fritzbox from Airwire or Digiweb before I become a customer? I'll sign up to SIRO as soon as the digging is done out on the road, but I need to replace rubbish sky router as soon as possible.

Or where do I get a good price? I want to mesh what I get once I do sign up for SIRO...

Contact the two companies directly to get your answer.

Yes sure, we stock some models and can order the others. Give us a call on send a PM if you'd like

Yes .. we sell the routers and DECT handsets listed on our website on the different product pages also to non-customers. Just add 9 EUR shipping on top.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Got SIRO installed with Vodafone last friday. Since then every morning though my SKY Q is no longer working. It seems to completely disconnect from the broadband overnight and needs to be fully reconfigured every morning on both main Sqky Q box and mini box. Has anyone experienced this? Was with Virgin til friday and never had an issue. It not resolved I will need to cancel within the 14 days as it is very annoying.

Wifi signal from router seems increbible flaky which may be something to do with the problem. Randome speed tests on the mobile or pc can got speeds of 200Mbps one test and a subsequent test will give 2 Mbps...crazy inconsistency. Is there a settling down period needed or is it just a crap router? Plugged in directly to the router seems to give a steady 520 Mbps but impractical to go round addin powerline adaptors unfortunately and surely should be unnecessary in this day and age.

Any advice on how to improve the service greatly appreciated. Ta.

Advertisement