Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SIRO - ESB/Vodafone Fibre To The Home

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭atlantean

Just heard from SIRO that one side of the road in the new part of our estate won't be getting connected as there's an issue with the ducting and no fix in the foreseeable future. Any one have any experience with this issue? Can I contact the ESB?

Stuck with 10mb connection and was looking forward to an upgrade!
    It happened where I live — there’s 41 houses but only about half got connected. I don’t know but o was told someone wouldn’t allow the cable to cross the front of their house so it stopped there! 🀷ðŸ¼*♂️

I’ve 1 gig FTTH but those across the road only have 100 Mb FTTC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭BigMoose

They dug up our whole estate (Rathnew/Wicklow) before Christmas and have run the fibre to our meter, but only half the estate is marked as available on Siro.ie, annoyingly our half isn’t. I cant imagine if they were digging up the place it’s down to some individual not letting them proceed but cant think why only half the estate would be enabled...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Just heard from SIRO that one side of the road in the new part of our estate won't be getting connected as there's an issue with the ducting and no fix in the foreseeable future. Any one have any experience with this issue? Can I contact the ESB?

No. SIRO simply won't go there, unless there is an alternative way of doing it.

The ESB is not interested in fixing things either. Alone the overhead jobs for SIRO are too much for them as it is.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Siro bypassed my estate as well much to my dismay. Well over a year ago now and there has been no change since. I reached out to a guy in Westnet who was very helpful at the time and he gave me the following information.

"Looking at Street View imagery for the estate, I can see that the ESB mini-pillars don't have manholes in front of them. This is a type of ESB installation known as "ducted, not vaulted", which means that the ducts from the houses go straight into the mini-pillar instead of going through a manhole (or "vault") first.

This is problematic for SIRO because they place the ODPs (the plastic enclosures containing the fibre splitters) in the vaults, because there's nowhere near enough room in the mini-pillars for ODPs.

I know that SIRO are always working on new ways to run fibre in estates. I have also (not often, to be fair) seen them do the civil work required to install vaults in front of mini-pillars. I'd say keep an eye out for contractors (possibly KN) digging up the footpaths in front of the mini-pillars - other than that, it's really just a case of wait and see."

• Registered Users Posts: 8,687 ✭✭✭corks finest

We've 24 🠠s in our estate,dead end ,all siro yet the 74 older houses near us haven't,it's crazy

• Advertisement

I know that SIRO are always working on new ways to run fibre in estates. I have also (not often, to be fair) seen them do the civil work required to install vaults in front of mini-pillars. I'd say keep an eye out for contractors (possibly KN) digging up the footpaths in front of the mini-pillars - other than that, it's really just a case of wait and see."

They also sometimes use surface-retractable solutions. But that only works if all home owners agree to let them run the cable that way.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

Siro bypassed my estate as well much to my dismay. Well over a year ago now and there has been no change since. I reached out to a guy in Westnet who was very helpful at the time and he gave me the following information.

"Looking at Street View imagery for the estate, I can see that the ESB mini-pillars don't have manholes in front of them. This is a type of ESB installation known as "ducted, not vaulted", which means that the ducts from the houses go straight into the mini-pillar instead of going through a manhole (or "vault") first.

This is problematic for SIRO because they place the ODPs (the plastic enclosures containing the fibre splitters) in the vaults, because there's nowhere near enough room in the mini-pillars for ODPs.

They bypassed my estate for the same reason. In my hometown, I noticed housing estates built from 2004-onwards have manhole covers in front of the pillars. The older ones don't.

It's good to know there is still a possibility for older housing estates to get SIRO. I just have to worry about the external cladding on my house.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭65535

Recently installed SIRO fibre to the road electric box - the electricity connections are underground here.

Please can anyone tell how long from install at the road to being able to order - roughly - thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

If moving from DSL to SIRO, should I cancel my DSL service and join the SIRO service or will the SIRO provider cancel it for me.

If moving from DSL to SIRO, should I cancel my DSL service and join the SIRO service or will the SIRO provider cancel it for me.

They are different systems and different wholesale networks. So unless you migrate within the same provider, then it's your problem.

As your SIRO provider has no contractual control over your DSL, they can't cancel it for you.

/M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Marlow wrote: »
    They are different systems and different wholesale networks. So unless you migrate within the same provider, then it's your problem.

As your SIRO provider has no contractual control over your DSL, they can't cancel it for you.

/M

Thanks Marlow,

I'm with Vodafone current and was thinking of moving to either Vodafone or Sky Siro.

Which provider out of these two has the better router?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,024 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

My SIRO is down in sixmilebridge, LOS light flashing. I just want to know is it a general fault before i go at the box outside.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,801 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

niallo27 wrote: »
    My SIRO is down in sixmilebridge, LOS light flashing. I just want to know is it a general fault before i go at the box outside.

Your ISP is best placed to tell you that.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,024 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Your ISP is best placed to tell you that.

Just got off the phone to them, waiting over an hour. They said i need an engineer visit. 3-5 days they say. With this virus, i wouldn't hold my breath.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

With this virus, i wouldn't hold my breath.
    No indeed :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭20/20

With this virus, i wouldn't hold my breath.

Maybe you should.

Slightly off topic but has anyone with a SKY+ box had any difficulty downloading On Demand programs since they connected via SIRO?

In my case the Sky+ box says it’s connected to the internet but when I try to download anything I get an error saying “Broadband connection not detected”

I’m with Vodafone and everything else is working fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,045 ✭✭✭CoBo55

atlantean wrote: »
    Slightly off topic but has anyone with a SKY+ box had any difficulty downloading On Demand programs since they connected via SIRO?

In my case the Sky+ box says it’s connected to the internet but when I try to download anything I get an error saying “Broadband connection not detected”

I’m with Vodafone and everything else is working fine.
    Both my boxes were giving a similar message yesterday, I'm with VM, They seem to be ok today.

CoBo55 wrote: »
    Both my boxes were giving a similar message yesterday, I'm with VM, They seem to be ok today.

Apparently this issue has been around for some people over the last year or so. From everyone I’ve seen it may be a software issue with the Sky box and some routers.

I haven’t actually tried to download anything on my Sky box since I got SIRO installed so I was thinking it might be a router compatibility issue — basically trying to do a process of elimination.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,687 ✭✭✭corks finest

20/20 wrote: »
    Maybe you should.

Nice

• Advertisement
  • Company Representative Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Digiweb

Our product checker's have been updated this morning with new Siro premises ready to order nationwide.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Digiweb wrote: »
    Our product checker's have been updated this morning with new Siro premises ready to order nationwide.
    Looks like Siro is finally available at my address but I'm reluctant to change as I'm working from home and don't want to risk the chances of any downtime or set up issues :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,899 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Got the email last night telling me SIRO was now available at my address... I just assumed under the circumstances that all work would be on hold?

Mr Crispy wrote: »
    Got the email last night telling me SIRO was now available at my address... I just assumed under the circumstances that all work would be on hold?

Apparently not! I saw installers in my estate yesterday!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭ka2

Nope. KN were outside my house yesterday to install OpenEir's FTTH.

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

No. Installations are still being done, but there are some requirements and precautions, that each provider and installer will clarify with the customer before going ahead with the installation.

We do want both our installers and our customers to be safe and prevent exposure.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,899 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Thanks all. Will look into it after the weekend!

That's great that they're forging ahead I'm due to go live in June. I'll keep paying VM their outrageous 67.50 as I'm out of contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

CoBo55 wrote: »
    That's great that they're forging ahead I'm due to go live in June. I'll keep paying VM their outrageous 67.50 as I'm out of contract.

May I ask how you found out your go live date?

• Advertisement

May I ask how you found out your go live date?
    I showed interest in going with digiweb late last year. They rang me to sign up to fttc but I told them I was only interested in ftth as I'm already with VM and wasn't going to go backwards in terms of speed. They rang me last month as they thought ftth was going live in March but it isn't going live until June now. I'm actually signed up with them, bank details given etc. and as soon as its available I'm good to go:D

Advertisement