Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SIRO - ESB/Vodafone Fibre To The Home

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Hi guys,

Looking to move from Vodafone DSL to Vodafone Siro.

While signing up on their page it asks if you have an existing provider and "Vodafone" is not listed on menu.

Have to select provider not listed, and it then doesn't ask for my UAN.

Should I just complete order without giving my UAN?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 inyourp

I've vodafone siro with TV. I tried to bypass the vodafone crappy router and connect mine (netgear AX12 router) directly but it wouldn't work with TV (TV would be freezing after few seconds of being on).

Vodafone router sometimes switches ethernet to 100mbps protocol for my netgear router (and so wifi is very slow). I have to disconnect the cable and reconnect to switch it back to 1000mbps protocol).

I really find the internet sluggish. Wifi to the phone (galaxy S20+) and laptop (wifi 6) is about 500-600mbps but I have my suspicion vodafone router is just slowing things down, even in pass through mode.

Vodafone TV is just terrible. The box is so slow and picture quality is horrendous. Once I'm out of contract in couple of months I will cancel TV and just keep siro broadband and try to connect it directly to my own router.

Just heads up for anyone thinking about getting TV service as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 inyourp

Hi guys,

While signing up on their page it asks if you have an existing provider and "Vodafone" is not listed on menu.

Vodafone Siro is different to DSL service. You aren't switching. Best bet is to call them and ask to cancel DSL service and landline and connect Siro.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Hi guys,

inyourp wrote: »
    Vodafone Siro is different to DSL service. You aren't switching. Best bet is to call them and ask to cancel DSL service and landline and connect Siro.

Yep. Completely different systems. The UAN will do you no good. It basically requires to cancel the DSL manually after the SIRO connection is in. So it is something you need to discuss with Vodafone.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Marlow wrote: »
    Yep. Completely different systems. The UAN will do you no good. It basically requires to cancel the DSL manually after the SIRO connection is in. So it is something you need to discuss with Vodafone.

/M

Thank you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭glic83

I've had Siro via Vodafone for over 2 years now, 150mb/30mb package, has anyone changed their Siro provider ie from Vodafone to someone else? Is there much work involved? I'm now out of contract but the new customer offer from Vodafone is more appealing (1gb ,20 euro*6 months, 45 euro * 6 months , total 390 for the year) than staying with my current speeds and even after the discount they offered it would work out at 420 euro for the year. Trying to see will they do the new customer offer, but would be happy to move if I got a similar deal elsewhere, based in Limerick so think my only other option is digiweb & sky ( think sky aren't doing new installs at the minute, open to correction).

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

glic83 wrote: »
    I've had Siro via Vodafone for over 2 years now, 150mb/30mb package, has anyone changed their Siro provider is from Vodafone to someone else? Is there much work involved?

It is literally giving the new provider your UAN and it'll be an instant transfer. Takes about 5 days.
    based in Limerick so think my only other option is digiweb & sky

That is not correct. There are 5 providers on SIRO in Limerick and we have been available on the Limerick Interconnect pretty much from day 1. Check your Eircode on https://siro.ie to see, what providers you can get service from.

It is literally giving the new provider your UAN and it'll be an instant transfer. Takes about 5 days.

That is not correct. There are 5 providers on SIRO in Limerick and we have been available on the Limerick Interconnect pretty much from day 1. Check your Eircode on https://siro.ie to see, what providers you can get service from.

Thanks Martin, the other providers didn't show up on switcher.ie for some reason.

Having looked at the pricing plan, it would seem that Vodafone is the better price option, if I can get the new customer deal.

Thanks Martin, the other providers didn't show up on switcher.ie for some reason.

Switcher is not a good place to check for a real comparison.

The reason that only list a few is, that switcher only lists providers, that pay switcher for having them listed.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭atlantean

I've had Siro via Vodafone for over 2 years now, 150mb/30mb package, has anyone changed their Siro provider ie from Vodafone to someone else? Is there much work involved? I'm now out of contract but the new customer offer from Vodafone is more appealing (1gb ,20 euro*6 months, 45 euro * 6 months , total 390 for the year) than staying with my current speeds and even after the discount they offered it would work out at 420 euro for the year. Trying to see will they do the new customer offer, but would be happy to move if I got a similar deal elsewhere, based in Limerick so think my only other option is digiweb & sky ( think sky aren't doing new installs at the minute, open to correction).

I know it’s not the same but I was with Vodafone FTTC before SIRO was available in my area.

Vodafone offered me the 6 months half price deal to move to their 1Gb FTTH package.

I know they are different services but I’m not a new customer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,045 ✭✭✭CoBo55

atlantean wrote: »
    I know it’s not the same but I was with Vodafone FTTC before SIRO was available in my area.

Vodafone offered me the 6 months half price deal to move to their 1Gb FTTH package.

In Vodafone's eyes you are a new customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭BowWow

Was that an offer at the door?

Switcher is not a good place to check for a real comparison.

The reason that only list a few is, that switcher only lists providers, that pay switcher for having them listed.
    Good to know, is there a loss of service when switching? as can't really afford to be without a connection a the moment

Good to know, is there a loss of service when switching? as can't really afford to be without a connection a the moment

The customers that have moved to us have seen an instant switch without loss, if they had our router plugged in to begin with. It depends on the provider you move to and how they handle it.

BowWow wrote: »
    Was that an offer at the door?

No, I contacted them as soon as it went live in my area.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,024 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Quick one, my sky siro is down again. They blaming the router this time, is it possible for me to use an old vodafone router.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,141 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

niallo27 wrote: »
    Quick one, my sky siro is down again. They blaming the router this time, is it possible for me to use an old vodafone router.

Are you away from Vodafone long? Vodafone sent someone out to collect my router a few weeks/months after I moved away from them so I would be weary of relying on it.

They seem millatent about them, they messed up my order in the first place and ended up sending a second router out. They organized to collect the duplicate, and I handed them the second one that arrived cause I never even opened it and he insisted that it had to be the first one! (serial number didn't match what he was told to collect). I wasn't using it anyways so it was no big deal to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Falconire

niallo27 wrote: »

Not as far as I know, SKY only support their own custom router.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭BowWow

Thanks. Reason I asked was that a friend signed up to a "great deal" for Vodafone Siro GB Broadband on the doorstep. He was not happy when I went online and there was a better Vodafone deal there. He cancelled within the cooling off period and bought online himself then.

BowWow wrote: »
    Thanks. Reason I asked was that a friend signed up to a "great deal" for Vodafone Siro GB Broadband on the doorstep. He was not happy when I went online and there was a better Vodafone deal there. He cancelled within the cooling off period and bought online himself then.

I don’t entertain any cold callers on my doorstep!

They are usually only agency workers and don’t know fully what they are selling!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭65535

May I ask how long did it take after they put the fibre around your location to when you rang them ?

They installed here to the kerb electricity boxes but my Eircode still does not show a possible install.

65535 wrote: »
    May I ask how long did it take after they put the fibre around your location to when you rang them ?

They installed here to the kerb electricity boxes but my Eircode still does not show a possible install.
    My estate was wired up for a few months before I got a notification from SIRO that it was live.

I saw them around other estates after mine was wired up — I’m guessing they wanted the entire area wired before going live!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Can anyone tell me the difference of Siro and going straight to Eir or Vodafone and getting FTTH directly from them? Is there a difference?

Siro aren’t showing as being in my area but Eir and Vodafone both confirmed I can get FTTH.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

GSPfan wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me the difference of Siro and going straight to Eir or Vodafone and getting FTTH directly from them? Is there a difference?

Siro aren’t showing as being in my area but Eir and Vodafone both confirmed I can get FTTH.

You can not go to SIRO. SIRO is a wholesale network.

The same as you can not go to OpenEIR. OpenEIR is who owns and operates the fibre and telephone lines, that used to be Eircom.

If you want a connection on SIRO, then you can find out which providers cover you, by checking SIROs website: https://siro.ie/ (scroll down to the bottom to find the providers, that offer SIRO. Enter your eircode to see, which providers offer SIRO for your premise).

If you want a connection through OpenEIR (VDSL/FTTC or FTTH), then you can buy that from one of the following providers: https://fibrerollout.ie/rollout-map/where-to-buy/ .. all of them have equal access to OpenEIRs network. Eir (retail) is just one of many many providers, that offer the service.

They all differ in price, quality of service, quality of support, etc. The choice is yours.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭djr

Hi all,

I got sky siro installed last week. Works fine with the default sky router, but I have a piece of mikrotik gear for the last few years that I'd prefer to be using. Has anyone tried this? I managed to get vlan10 configured on the mikrotik, and added a pppoe client which connects using the old eircom/broadband1 credentials. However, the mikrotik never gets a Wan ip address but I can't figure out why. Has anyone here with siro replaced their sky router with something else?

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,801 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

djr wrote: »
    Hi all,

I got sky siro installed last week. Works fine with the default sky router, but I have a piece of mikrotik gear for the last few years that I'd prefer to be using. Has anyone tried this? I managed to get vlan10 configured on the mikrotik, and added a pppoe client which connects using the old eircom/broadband1 credentials. However, the mikrotik never gets a Wan ip address but I can't figure out why. Has anyone here with siro replaced their sky router with something else?

You mean you get a running PPPoE client, but no address on the pppoe-client interface?

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭djr

oscarBravo wrote: »
    You mean you get a running PPPoE client, but no address on the pppoe-client interface?

That's exactly what i was seeing yeah. An internal ip in the 1 range was assigned to my end of the PPP connection on the interface, and some public ip was at the other, but no actual WAN ip address was assigned, and traffic didn't flow. I was reading up on this during the night, and apparently it might have to something to do with DHCP-Option-61, and the client ID that is sent to the remote PPP server.

Has anyone gotten this product working with Mikrotik? I had hoped like all the other SIRO products that it was just a matter of a DHCP client on VLAN-10 on the WAN, but it seems Sky are doing it along the lines of their DSL products.

THanks for the reply.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,801 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Hm, all I can think of (if you're fairly handy with the Mikrotik - what model is it?) is bridge two ports on it, plug the Sky router into one port and the other into the ONT, let the Sky router log in and sniff the packets as they go through. You might get some idea what's going on then.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,499 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

What happens when contracts are up. Do people find they get a good deal by ringing up VF for a 12 month extension. I recall you could get a good deal on VDSL by ringing up. Would you get a year for 45 euro p/m

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Rafloution

djr wrote: »
    That's exactly what i was seeing yeah. An internal ip in the 1 range was assigned to my end of the PPP connection on the interface, and some public ip was at the other, but no actual WAN ip address was assigned, and traffic didn't flow. I was reading up on this during the night, and apparently it might have to something to do with DHCP-Option-61, and the client ID that is sent to the remote PPP server.

Has anyone gotten this product working with Mikrotik? I had hoped like all the other SIRO products that it was just a matter of a DHCP client on VLAN-10 on the WAN, but it seems Sky are doing it along the lines of their DSL products.

THanks for the reply.

Got my Sky Siro set up with m own Router working well for 18 months and no issues

Vlan10
    username and password needed. As mentioned above you will need to see the packets then extract the username and password baked into existing Sky Router.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vvmn3xI77Os good vid on how to get the user/pass

Advertisement