Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SIRO - ESB/Vodafone Fibre To The Home

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭mcbert

Rafloution wrote: »
    Got my Sky Siro set up with m own Router working well for 18 months and no issues

Vlan10
    username and password needed. As mentioned above you will need to see the packets then extract the username and password baked into existing Sky Router.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vvmn3xI77Os good vid on how to get the user/pass

Is this not a SIRO thread? That video is for Sky ASDL routers. Also, you do NOT need your username and password to switch ADSL router with Sky. No need for wireshark. Im running Sky ADSL on a FritzBox without proper username & password

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Rafloution

Video might be ADSL (UK) but sentiment is the same to wireshark the username and password needed for SIRO with SKY

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭BowWow

If I order SIRO will an installer do a site visit prior to the actual installation?

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭djr

Got my Sky Siro set up with m own Router working well for 18 months and no issues

Vlan10
    username and password needed. As mentioned above you will need to see the packets then extract the username and password baked into existing Sky Router.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vvmn3xI77Os good vid on how to get the user/pass

wow that's great news, thanks. as far as i can tell Sky have lumped these SIRO connections on top of existing PPPOE DSL networks, i.e. they use the same backend and network setup at Sky's end of things, and SIRO just carries the traffic in a tunnel.

i had tried the eircom@eircom.net DSL user/pass and it seemed to work, but the device would never get a WAN ip. what kind of router are you using?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

BowWow wrote: »
    If I order SIRO will an installer do a site visit prior to the actual installation?

No. They will install there and then and only re-visit, if there are issues on the day, that prevent the installation from being completed.

/M

• Advertisement

hi all,

just to confirm i got this working with my mikrotik rb2011 that i was using previously for virgin BB. i had to do the following:
    • add a pppoe client, using sky_router_serial_number@skydsl
    • add a vlan10 interface to the wan interface (ether1 in my case)
    • configure the PPPOE client to connect on that vlan 10 interface
    • set up NAT on the PPPOE interface

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Rafloution

djr wrote: »
    wow that's great news, thanks. as far as i can tell Sky have lumped these SIRO connections on top of existing PPPOE DSL networks, i.e. they use the same backend and network setup at Sky's end of things, and SIRO just carries the traffic in a tunnel.

i had tried the eircom@eircom.net DSL user/pass and it seemed to work, but the device would never get a WAN ip. what kind of router are you using?

I've used Velop , now on unifi dream machine works well with no issues and a lot less wires.

Seems Vodafone do the same on their Siri too

I've used Velop , now on unifi dream machine works well with no issues and a lot less wires.

Seems Vodafone do the same on their Siri too

Yeah, I guess they are leveraging the backends they already have for dsl by using pppoe, even if the carrier is different

djr wrote: »
    hi all,

just to confirm i got this working with my mikrotik rb2011

Just be aware, that with firewalling enabled etc, that 2011 is barely good for 300-350 Mbit/s. It won't do more CPU wise.

/M

Marlow wrote: »
    Just be aware, that with firewalling enabled etc, that 2011 is barely good for 300-350 Mbit/s. It won't do more CPU wise.

/M

Aye, it's a bit of an old brick at this stage but I like it. Might switch to pfsense on an old nuc I have here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Darren 83

I’m currently with Eir e fibre but would like to switch to Siro, would I be able to switch over still currently in contract have no problem paying it off?. Eir have a 1tb cap and I’m hitting over that with the lock down.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭A+-Guru

EIR removed the cap for new customers, ring up and ask for cap to be removed,

Darren 83 wrote: »
    I’m currently with Eir e fibre but would like to switch to Siro, would I be able to switch over still currently in contract have no problem paying it off?. Eir have a 1tb cap and I’m hitting over that with the lock down.

I rang up and they won’t do any thing for me got charged the last two months for going over it.

That's terrible, can you close your account and open with another family member name ?

I rang up and they won’t do any thing for me got charged the last two months for going over it.

It’s rubbish I’ll ring again see what they say, I’m happy enough just not the cap.

Tell them you will sign a new contract if they remove cap

It’s rubbish I’ll ring again see what they say, I’m happy enough just not the cap.

On the phone now to them now, Digiphone happy to do install for me but do they cap you on Siro had them ages ago sand they had a rolling cap 1tb. Sales said there is no cap?

Just make sure you get no cap, no fair usage policy, get it in writing, email etc, siro have no cap, no fair usage. I'm baffled why they wont give it to current customers, did you ask them if you sign a new contract will they give you no cap? Ask to speak to a manager, they wont let you go, tell them your thinking changing provider if they wont give you no cap. The other companies add additional routing and stuff and buy there bandwidth from other suppliers, they just lease the lines from siro This is from what I understand anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭mcbert

A+-Guru wrote: »
    Just make sure you get no cap, no fair usage policy, get it in writing, email etc, eir have no cap, no fair usage. I'm baffled why they wont give it to current customers, did you ask them if you sign a new contract will they give you no cap? Ask to speak to a manager, they wont let you go, tell them your thinking changing provider if they wont give you no cap. The other companies add additional routing and stuff and buy there bandwidth from other suppliers, they just lease the lines from siro This is from what I understand anyway

Huh? Eir with Siro? Who/how/huh?

My bad the sun has got to me Haha

• Advertisement

Didn’t get to talk to Eir on the hold for 30mins and hung up.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭dazdrog

On the phone now to them now, Digiphone happy to do install for me but do they cap you on Siro had them ages ago sand they had a rolling cap 1tb. Sales said there is no cap?

i use about 4tb+ a month, no issues yet

I got charged 40 odd for going over, €2,50 for every 10gb . Will try tomorrow again

jaysus caps are such a bad thing, isps should not be having them in this day and age, my original FTTH order was with a different ISP who were renting the EIR lines, they would not remove the 1tb cap despite me telling them that EIR are offering the connection for 55e a month with unlimited cap and no fair usage policy, ( other ISP was 80e a month and I was going to give it to them out of loyalty if the removed the cap), but no budge. the best they could do was an extra 1TB free for 6 months then +30e a month for the remaining 18 month contract, I have been with this said company for over 6 years with their WIFI offering, and I was quite loyal to them, the service the WIFI service I had with them was very good, good company in general, but these data caps are stupid. in the end I had to cancel my FTTH order with them and go with EIR.

really doesn't make sense to me, they lost out 18 months of +80e a month because they would not remove the data cap.

A+-Guru wrote: »
    jaysus caps are such a bad thing, isps should not be having them in this day and age, my original FTTH order was with a different ISP who were renting the EIR lines, they would not remove the 1tb cap despite me telling them that EIR are offering the connection for 55e a month with unlimited cap and no fair usage policy, ( other ISP was 80e a month and I was going to give it to them out of loyalty if the removed the cap), but no budge. the best they could do was an extra 1TB free for 6 months then +30e a month for the remaining 18 month contract, I have been with this said company for over 6 years with their WIFI offering, and I was quite loyal to them, the service the WIFI service I had with them was very good, good company in general, but these data caps are stupid. in the end I had to cancel my FTTH order with them and go with EIR.

really doesn't make sense to me, they lost out 18 months of +80e a month because they would not remove the data cap.

I did go in store and the lady said it shouldn’t be caped but when I rang got a different story. Will ring tomorrow and if they won’t budge I’ll switch over I’m happy with the service but this cap thing is bugging me.

well make sure you highlight the fact that you are going to bring your business elsewhere if they don't remove the cap,tell them you want an answer today its not fair that new customers don't have a cap, and also highlight the fact that the lady in the store told you that there should not be a cap, ask who ever you talk to, to escalate it to someone higher up.

I did go in store and the lady said it shouldn’t be caped but when I rang got a different story. Will ring tomorrow and if they won’t budge I’ll switch over I’m happy with the service but this cap thing is bugging me.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Hi lads, can anyone explain the below and point me where to go next.

Last summer we moved into a new estate.

August '19 there were ICL vans doing laying stuff in street.

Sept '19 I saw an Open eir guy doing a test outside our house, when I went out and asked him if it was working properly he said yes.

Since then weve heard nothing, nobody has tried to sell us gigabyte broadband (I assume this is what ICL were laying?). Our street is not on the Siro website.

Who can tell us what services we can get, our neighbours only have Sky or Virgin broadband (mostly Virgin). We went with virgin as couldnt afford to wait for any gigabyte service.

Just move to a decent provider. Sure, they removed the cap .. but their support is still a feckin' nightmare. I don't get how people put up with it. The list is here: https://fibrerollout.ie/rollout-map/where-to-buy/

It took me 2 months for them to get an order for a phone line right ... and god knows how many hours on the phone .. and that was for a BUSINESS contract. Nevermind residential.

/M

Hi lads, can anyone explain the below and point me where to go next.

Last summer we moved into a new estate.

August '19 there were ICL vans doing laying stuff in street.

Sept '19 I saw an Open eir guy doing a test outside our house, when I went out and asked him if it was working properly he said yes.

Since then weve heard nothing, nobody has tried to sell us gigabyte broadband (I assume this is what ICL were laying?). Our street is not on the Siro website.

Who can tell us what services we can get, our neighbours only have Sky or Virgin broadband (mostly Virgin). We went with virgin as couldnt afford to wait for any gigabyte service.

This is the SIRO thread. Why is this being asked here ? OpenEir having nothing to do with SIRO. And Eir (retail) don't operate on SIRO.

/M

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Marlow wrote: »
    This is the SIRO thread. Why is this being asked here ? OpenEir having nothing to do with SIRO. And Eir (retail) don't operate on SIRO.

/M

Sorry that probably answers my question, thought it was a SIRO service even though open eir were involved.

Advertisement