Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SIRO - ESB/Vodafone Fibre To The Home

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Sorry that probably answers my question, thought it was a SIRO service even though open eir were involved.

SIRO and OpenEIR are different networks. They have nothing to do with each other and they don't use each others infrastructure.

It's either SIRO or OpenEIR. It is never both.

The same as you never see a mix of OpenEIR and Virgin, unless they both have each their own infrastructure at a premise.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Darren 83

Marlow wrote: »
    Just move to a decent provider. Sure, they removed the cap .. but their support is still a feckin' nightmare. I don't get how people put up with it. The list is here: https://fibrerollout.ie/rollout-map/where-to-buy/

It took me 2 months for them to get an order for a phone line right ... and god knows how many hours on the phone .. and that was for a BUSINESS contract. Nevermind residential.

/M

I’m leaning towards Digiweb as had them years ago only reason I left was the 1tb rolling usage. There customer care was excellent. Anyone have any recommendations?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,878 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Darren 83 wrote: »
    I’m leaning towards Digiweb as had them years ago only reason I left was the 1tb rolling usage. There customer care was excellent. Anyone have any recommendations?

Airwire if they are available in your area, unlimited with no usage caps.

Digiweb still have the same 1tb fair usage policy/cap they have always had.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Darren 83

Gonzo wrote: »

I thought that, After a long time on hold Eir rep removed the cap after another rep said it couldn’t be done so I’m happy there is no cap on usage.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭A+-Guru

Great news pal, happy days

Darren 83 wrote: »
    I thought that, After a long time on hold Eir rep removed the cap after another rep said it couldn’t be done so I’m happy there is no cap on usage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,045 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Feck I didn’t know that, I’m supposed to go with digiweb when siro goes live in June I’m with VM at the moment and really love their genuine unlimited use, I’m regularly between 1 and 1.5tb, what should I do now? They have my bank details etc.. I’m worried now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭KildareP

I don't think Digiweb are particularly strict when it comes to the 1TB FUP. I have gone over it here and there and never heard anything.

Although I have never gone over it for several months in a row so they might object then - ask me in another months time :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,878 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

CoBo55 wrote: »
    Feck I didn’t know that, I’m supposed to go with digiweb when siro goes live in June I’m with VM at the moment and really love their genuine unlimited use, I’m regularly between 1 and 1.5tb, what should I do now? They have my bank details etc.. I’m worried now.

I would go with Airwire. Digiweb i'm sure are grand but with that fair usage policy in place watching the clock would become an issue. For peace of mind always choose a provider without any usage caps in the contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭dazdrog

KildareP wrote: »
    I don't think Digiweb are particularly strict when it comes to the 1TB FUP. I have gone over it here and there and never heard anything.

Although I have never gone over it for several months in a row so they might object then - ask me in another months time :D

ive never once been under the 1tb a month cap, and never heard from them, the last two months have been "quiet months" for me and usage is slightly lower then usual , 1.1tb so far this month and 1,7tb last month, but as i said a while ago, i have pushed 4tb before, have siro from them about a year now, so it dont look like they enforce it too much

510917.PNG

• Company Representative Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Digiweb

Hi All,

We've just updated our product checkers with new Siro premises released nationwide :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

I would go with Airwire. Digiweb i'm sure are grand but with that fair usage policy in place watching the clock would become an issue. For peace of mind always choose a provider without any usage caps in the contract.

Aren't Airwire the most expensive provider? By quite a long margin

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

Aren't Airwire the most expensive provider? By quite a long margin

How did you come to that conclusion ?

Here is an example:

Our pricing for SIRO:
    http://www.airwire.ie/index.php/products/siro

Digiwebs pricing for SIRO:
    https://digiweb.ie/siro-broadband/

If you ignore the first 3-4 discounted months, Airwire and Digiweb are very similar. Just we don't have a cap nor FUP and we also have a 100 Mbit/s upload on the 500 Mbit/s package. And there is no connection charge whatsoever, if you go for 18 months.

So take all those factors into account, there is very little difference price wise.

Also, something that is not commonly known nor published:

While other providers try to get customers with an initial lower pricing and then ramp the pricing up, we go the other way.

On the SIRO 1000 Mbit/s package for example, we offer existing customers that at 55 EUR/month on renewal, if they sign a new 18 months contract. No setup fee for that either. Otherwise, they just continue with the same pricing as previous on a 30 days rolling contract.

No hidden catches and no need to constantly watch for price increases.

Thanks Martin :) Well spotted. We'll have that typo fixed. Our upload on the 500 Mbit/s package is also 100 Mbit/s

In fairness agree with the point lot's of the so called larger provider's are keen to get customer's signed up on low unsustainable pricing for the first 12 months knowing that they'll up their price dramaticaly after 12 months. Our pricing structure is clear.

Also consumers should take into consideration the level of support being offered, is it really worth saving a few euro a month to sit on hold for an hour or more everytime you have a technical or billing query.

The quality of router being provided should be taken into consideration, if you purchase a premium FTTH product you should expect a premium quality router. I know both Digiweb & Airwire provide Fritzbox routers by AVM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

How did you come to that conclusion ?

siro.ie - I haven't looked at the details much as I'm still under contract with my FTTC provider.
    https://imgur.com/9UosutQ

siro.ie - I haven't looked at the details much as I'm still under contract with my FTTC provider.
    https://imgur.com/9UosutQ

SIRO.ie only shows you a reference price for one package. Generally a Gbit/s package and generally a promotion price. It is not all comprehensive. And it does not give you the full picture.

SIRO.ie is only intended as a launchpad to tell you, if you are covered and what providers can cover you.

You still need to check the providers individual pages and compare the prices there. And price is not everything, when it comes to broadband.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭mirrorball

Hi, SIRO work was done through our estate and right past our driveway. When the work was complete, I ordered the Gigabit service from Vodafone.

Unfortunately, when the crew came to install it, they said they needed to run a cable from the pole across the road to the house and then take the cable to the far side of the house. It sounded quite messy so I cancelled the order.

The crew told me that asking the ESB to do something with the existing underground ducting into our house was an option but not something they could arrange. Putting aside my struggle to understand how our road had been dug up for two months for SIRO without being able to hook up to it, has anyone else heard or tried this 'speak to the ESB' option?

Cheers
    Peter

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭20/20

mirrorball wrote: »

The crew told me that asking the ESB to do something with the existing underground ducting into our house was an option but not something they could arrange.

Cheers
    Peter

So before you came here what did the ESB say to you.?

Each premises passed by Siro has a drop type assigned to it (means of getting the fibre cable into your premises). Vodafone should have been able to advise you when you placed the order that your drop type was overhead. Without knowing your specific address/Eircode it's difficult to tell however the digging which Siro did on the street was likely to bring the fibre to the ODP's (network distribution points) which serve about 8 homes. If there isn't an existing clear underground duct from these ODP's into customers premises it's not feasible or commercially viable for them to go laying new ducting so they bring the connection in overhead. Sound's like your electricity cable coming into your house may be direct buried (not in a duct which has enough room to run a fibre cable through it) or perhaps the duct is blocked in numerous places.

ESB are unlikely to be of assistance, they have a responsibility to bring your electricity cable safely into your home they won't lay new duct's so that customers can get Siro via an underground option.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭mirrorball

Digiweb wrote: »
    Each premises passed by Siro has a drop type assigned to it (means of getting the fibre cable into your premises). Vodafone should have been able to advise you when you placed the order that your drop type was overhead. Without knowing your specific address/Eircode it's difficult to tell however the digging which Siro did on the street was likely to bring the fibre to the ODP's (network distribution points) which serve about 8 homes. If there isn't an existing clear underground duct from these ODP's into customers premises it's not feasible or commercially viable for them to go laying new ducting so they bring the connection in overhead. Sound's like your electricity cable coming into your house may be direct buried (not in a duct which has enough room to run a fibre cable through it) or perhaps the duct is blocked in numerous places.

ESB are unlikely to be of assistance, they have a responsibility to bring your electricity cable safely into your home they won't lay new duct's so that customers can get Siro via an underground option.

Ok, that makes sense. Thanks for taking the time to reply.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭Inviere

So SIRO is available at my address now it seems. I've done a bit of homework on the available suppliers:

Vodafone - €55 per month after the first 12 months, 1TB download cap.
    DigiWeb - €59 per month after the first 12 months, no download cap that I can see?
    Sky - €95 a month after the first 12 months. I can't see anything about a download cap, but at those prices it makes no odds, crazy money.
    Airwire - €59 per month, no cap.

So Sky have priced themselves out of the water, Vodafone aren't competitive because of their cap (1TB across 30 days on a gigabit connection is insanity....games alone these days can be >100GB to download), so that leaves Digiweb and Airwire.

Has anyone any experience with their services, and rate one over the other, differences in support, installation quality, quality of service, etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I am with Airwire and no complaints.
    From what I read Digiweb are on a par with them from a service point of view.

I don't think you will go wrong with either.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭cunnijo

I am with Digiweb and generally have no complaints. Their support and customer care is good. With Digiweb if you are recommended by a friend or someone who is a customer you will receive €30.00 off your 2nd month after signing up.

I have also read good reports about Airwire too and they are fairly active on this forum as are Digiweb.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭BowWow

Inviere wrote: »
    So SIRO is available at my address now it seems. I've done a bit of homework on the available suppliers:

DigiWeb - €59 per month after the first 12 months, no download cap that I can see?
    Sky - €95 a month after the first 12 months. I can't see anything about a download cap, but at those prices it makes no odds, crazy money.

So Sky have priced themselves out of the water, Vodafone aren't competitive because of their cap (1TB across 30 days on a gigabit connection is insanity....games alone these days can be >100GB to download), so that leaves Digiweb and Airwire.

Has anyone any experience with their services, and rate one over the other, differences in support, installation quality, quality of service, etc?

I'd ignore the after 12 month pricing. You only have to take a 12 month contract. Take the cheapest for the first year and reconsider in 12 months. I change my Broadband, Electricity and Gas suppliers every January - saving a fortune...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭glic83

For people moving to another provider who already have siro installed is there still an install charge with with Airwire / digiweb ?

BowWow wrote: »
    I'd ignore the after 12 month pricing. You only have to take a 12 month contract. Take the cheapest for the first year and reconsider in 12 months. I change my Broadband, Electricity and Gas suppliers every January - saving a fortune...

True, is it as simple as changing providers? Ie, will the install done by one provider be ok for the next (presumably a router change etc)?

glic83 wrote: »
    For people moving to another provider who already have siro installed is there still an install charge with with Airwire / digiweb ?

Not with Digiweb, once we dont need to send engineer er dont charge connection fee for Siro customers transfering

What's actually involved in an install? The building here was wired for SIRO last year, and now there's a blank panel outside the ceiling of the front door. Presumably that'll be the source, and it needs to be brought inside from there? What's actually brought inside in terms of cabling, and how is it fed to where it needs to go?

What's actually involved in an install? The building here was wired for SIRO last year, and now there's a blank panel outside the ceiling of the front door. Presumably that'll be the source, and it needs to be brought inside from there? What's actually brought inside in terms of cabling, and how is it fed to where it needs to go?

Depends on your premises drop type, drop us a private message and we'll check it out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Is that for Openeir and not SIRO? It seems to be €45 on this page. (I have Openeir not SIRO from Airwire)

http://www.airwire.ie/index.php/products/siro

Advertisement