Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SIRO - ESB/Vodafone Fibre To The Home

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Inviere wrote: »
    DigiWeb - €59 per month after the first 12 months, no download cap that I can see?

https://digiweb.ie/fair-usage-policy/ - 1TB FUP
    Inviere wrote: »
    Sky - €95 a month after the first 12 months. I can't see anything about a download cap, but at those prices it makes no odds, crazy money.

https://www.sky.com/ireland/terms-conditions/broadband/usage-policies/

Seems they have increased their FUP/AUP to 2 TB/month, but it's still there.

/M

Is that for Openeir and not SIRO? It seems to be €45 on this page. (I have Openeir not SIRO from Airwire)

http://www.airwire.ie/index.php/products/siro

He/She is referring to 1 Gbit/s pricing.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭Inviere

Is that for Openeir and not SIRO? It seems to be €45 on this page. (I have Openeir not SIRO from Airwire)

http://www.airwire.ie/index.php/products/siro
    Marlow wrote: »
    He/She is referring to 1 Gbit/s pricing.

/M

Yep, Siro Gigabit @ €59pm - http://www.airwire.ie/index.php/products/siro

• Registered Users Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭Inviere

https://digiweb.ie/fair-usage-policy/ - 1TB FUP

https://www.sky.com/ireland/terms-conditions/broadband/usage-policies/

Seems they have increased their FUP/AUP to 2 TB/month, but it's still there.

/M

Hmm, not ideal really having a 1TB FUP all things considered. That might push me towards Airwire so, cheers for that.

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

glic83 wrote: »
    For people moving to another provider who already have siro installed is there still an install charge with with Airwire / digiweb ?

There is no installation charge nor charge for the router, if you sign up for 18 months SIRO connection. Doesn't matter if it is a new installation or a provider change.

Also, the router is your property, once the contract is fulfilled. We don't want it back. That applies to all of our services.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭witnessrenegade

What are the steps for getting SIRO? Do I first have to get it connected with ESB before I contact a supplier for a package, or will they do it all for me?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭xckjoo

What are the steps for getting SIRO? Do I first have to get it connected with ESB before I contact a supplier for a package, or will they do it all for me?

Thanks
    Nah. Just contact one of the ISPs (Digiweb, Airwire, etc.). They handle that side of things.

Your ESB supply has nothing to do with SIRO. SIRO just brings fibre into the premises along the cables of the ESB supply. That's as much as they have in common.

Your electricity supply you buy from one company.
    Your SIRO internet supply you buy from another company. Any of the providers.

None of it depends on each other.

Just because the 2 main investors in SIRO are ESB and Vodafone doesn't mean, that they tie in with SIRO. They don't. SIRO operates completely independant. And all providers are equal on their network. ESB doesn't even deliver directly to end customer anymore. It's Electric Ireland for that ... which shows the seperation.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭tv221

Will Eir ever change? Switched to vodafone FTTH in march and cancelled eir fibre on the 24th of march after spending an hour waiting to get through. It's a shame as the products were different that and required having to personally cancel, which you just knew would be a saga.

The chap said the usual one months notice and typed away at keyboard saying he'd send out instructions for equipment return. Which he didn't and no written confirmation of account closure.

So surprise surprise I look at online account for eir which hasn't been used in 6 weeks and their billing me for the whole of May as well. Off to comreg again, it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,808 ✭✭✭b.gud

tv221 wrote: »
    Will Eir ever change? Switched to vodafone FTTH in march and cancelled eir fibre on the 24th of march after spending an hour waiting to get through. It's a shame as the products were different that and required having to personally cancel, which you just knew would be a saga.

The chap said the usual one months notice and typed away at keyboard saying he'd send out instructions for equipment return. Which he didn't and no written confirmation of account closure.

So surprise surprise I look at online account for eir which hasn't been used in 6 weeks and their billing me for the whole of May as well. Off to comreg again, it is.

This is the Siro thread, Eir are not a Siro provider so if you were hoping that they might see your post they wont

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭tv221

b.gud wrote: »
    This is the Siro thread, Eir are not a Siro provider so if you were hoping that they might see your post they wont

Hoping they might see the post, wow. As I moved to SIRO and as you pointed out, this is the SIRO thread. It's a shame that you may get hit wit an extra month to the necessary month notice. Some people may be interested if switching soon, obviously not you.

tv221 wrote: »
    Hoping they might see the post, wow. As I moved to SIRO and as you pointed out, this is the SIRO thread. It's a shame that you may get hit wit an extra month to the necessary month notice. Some people may be interested if switching soon, obviously not you.

That has nothing to do with SIRO nor with being on OpenEIR (who run the network, that used to be Eircom).

That just have to do with your original poor choice of retail provider and not reading the terms and conditions of said provider.

The only way to fix that, is choosing providers most smartly in the future. Choosing Vodafone over Eir won't fix it. Same issue.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Hari

Just a quick word to describe my experience with SKY - SIRO. Bit a background, I have been with sky from past 8 years for landline and broadband using phone line fiber and I was getting stable 40/50Mbs using my own router. Never had any issues whatsover that needs mentioning. Good solid internet for 8 years. I replaced sky router straight away with my own Asus Dsl Router, maybe that was the reason but I don't know.

So last week I was checking if Fiber to home is available in my area, I couldn't believe that it was. I was on to sky rep and told them that I want to keep everything on my phone package as is but with fiber to home. I have landline and free phone calls etc on my package with sky. Anyway sky rep said yes it is available for me at the same price that I was already paying. So I was delighted that I will be getting higher speed internet at the same price, whoo hoooo!!!

How wrong was I, the sky guy installed SIRO just 2 days ago and I am already regretting my decision. Firstly, SAY GOODBYE TO YOUR LANDLINE SOCKET as now sky don't even give you an option anymore and you have to plug in your existing phone line into the router to be used over as VOIP. However you can use your existing phone no need to buy a new VOIP phone. So now I need 3 sockets at front door (SIRO Terminal, Router and Phone Power), meaning more mess at the door entrance.

Secondly, there is no chance of using your own router with sky FTTH (SIRO) because of that built in functionality for phone line. So now I have no way to use my own Router and control internet access to individual items in house (2 kids). I have internet access set up for kids at different ages and to turn on and off automatically at certain times and have most of adult, violence and gambling filtered away.

The irony of all that is the internet speeds are now more or less same depending on time of the day. During night I might get full 130/150Mbs but mostly same 40/50Mbs as my old setup.

All in all I am very disappointed to say the least and I believe the issue here is the sky router. Sky should give the customers an option to have Landline separate from SIRO so that I can use my own router and can have better coverage and speeds all around the house. I don't understand why they are not explaining this to customers. They could have told me clearly that my landline will be abandoned and everything should be through my SKY router.

Thought I should let everyone know about my recent experience and to warn others as what to expect if ordering sky FTTH aka SIRO with Landline package. Maybe if your landline is separate from sky broadband you will be able to use your own router (maybe).

I am planning on cancelling my order as I am still within cooling off period and go back to old ways of fiber to home through landline. Maybe bit slow but I will have more control over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

If you can get the Sky credentials then you can use your own router provided you get one suitable for a fibre connection.

If you can get the Sky credentials then you can use your own router provided you get one suitable for a fibre connection.

Then landline won't work. Please read my post carefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Hari wrote: »
    Just a quick word to describe my experience with SKY - SIRO. Bit a background, I have been with sky from past 8 years for landline and broadband using phone line fiber and I was getting stable 40/50Mbs using my own router. Never had any issues whatsover that needs mentioning. Good solid internet for 8 years. I replaced sky router straight away with my own Asus Dsl Router, maybe that was the reason but I don't know.

So last week I was checking if Fiber to home is available in my area, I couldn't believe that it was. I was on to sky rep and told them that I want to keep everything on my phone package as is but with fiber to home. I have landline and free phone calls etc on my package with sky. Anyway sky rep said yes it is available for me at the same price that I was already paying. So I was delighted that I will be getting higher speed internet at the same price, whoo hoooo!!!

How wrong was I, the sky guy installed SIRO just 2 days ago and I am already regretting my decision. Firstly, SAY GOODBYE TO YOUR LANDLINE SOCKET as now sky don't even give you an option anymore and you have to plug in your existing phone line into the router to be used over as VOIP. However you can use your existing phone no need to buy a new VOIP phone. So now I need 3 sockets at front door (SIRO Terminal, Router and Phone Power), meaning more mess at the door entrance.

Secondly, there is no chance of using your own router with sky FTTH (SIRO) because of that built in functionality for phone line. So now I have no way to use my own Router and control internet access to individual items in house (2 kids). I have internet access set up for kids at different ages and to turn on and off automatically at certain times and have most of adult, violence and gambling filtered away.

The irony of all that is the internet speeds are now more or less same depending on time of the day. During night I might get full 130/150Mbs but mostly same 40/50Mbs as my old setup.

All in all I am very disappointed to say the least and I believe the issue here is the sky router. Sky should give the customers an option to have Landline separate from SIRO so that I can use my own router and can have better coverage and speeds all around the house. I don't understand why they are not explaining this to customers. They could have told me clearly that my landline will be abandoned and everything should be through my SKY router.

Thought I should let everyone know about my recent experience and to warn others as what to expect if ordering sky FTTH aka SIRO with Landline package. Maybe if your landline is separate from sky broadband you will be able to use your own router (maybe).

I am planning on cancelling my order as I am still within cooling off period and go back to old ways of fiber to home through landline. Maybe bit slow but I will have more control over it.
    A quick google and you would have had all the answers you were looking for.

shanec1928 wrote: »
    A quick google and you would have had all the answers you were looking for.

Shane I did google about sky siro and no one has mentioned this landline issues anywhere. Anyway bit late now. Hopefully others can learn from my mistake.

Then landline won't work. Please read my post carefully.

Your phone line works, does it not?
    It uses the same number as previously?
    Then it works!

A replacement router can also have such capabilities.

You do know that the phone output from the modem can be connected to whatever existing phone sockets you have? No need to have the phone at the modem.

It is now capable of high quality audio, so is an improvement in that respect.

Did you actually specify that you must have your phone through your copper line ....... not just refer to generic 'landline'?

The VOIP connection is a much improved service over POTS.
    It provides a much wider choice to consumers around who and what service to purchase for telephone.

The one single place that it fails in comparison to POTS is the requirement to have the modem powered to use the phone, but that is easily solved with a simple battery backup device.

EDIT:
    Nothing stopping you from attaching your old router to the new one and giving the kids access to the onternet ONLY through that ...... so all your previous controls are in place!

SKY does not give you the option to have phone line through copper. In other words if you want SKY SIRO with landline then there is only one option from sky and that is plugging your existing phone into sky router. Same issue in UK and everyone is complaining that sky should explain this to customers properly as it is a big change for some people.

Camels back here is sky router SR200 Ireland and SR203 UK. Having to piggy bank on SR200 by plugging in my own router seems bit counter productive. Plus this freaking sky router is huge, bigger than my DSL-AC68u. Wireshark is not able to give me username and password either, possible because of this VOIP thing built into the sky SR200. I am going to try extracting the username and password again today and see if i succeed.

Speeds are more or less same so all that mucking about for what ? I rather go back to old setup or buy myself a side stand for front door to house these 3-4 devices and wires running everywhere. Atleast with Vodafone SIRO you have an option to keep your existing phone through copper line so I might try them. Still deciding what to do.

Has anyone else here successfully used there own router with SKY - SIRO? please do not advise about doing something if you don't have the same setup running as this is different from old sky router and I don't see any way around it.

At least with Vodafone SIRO you have an option to keep your existing phone through copper line so I might try them.

I would not bet on it.

Even Eir is not giving you a copperline, unless you're moving from a copperline to FTTH and specifying, that you want to keep it.

Vodafone will also delivery the phone via VoIP, if you order SIRO. They will not reactivate your copper line.

/M

• Advertisement

Good to know. At least Eir/vodafone have an option. Sky does not mention the option to keep the existing line and I don't believe they give you an option either.

I am now planning on getting rid of my landline all together :rolleyes: and then see if I can connect my own router from ONT terminal. Maybe once the landline subscription is gone I will be able to abstract the user name and password. At the moment all I am getting is Username: e%( Password: x

Percentage sign in username is actually divide sign but I can't find a way to input it.

Ok. Bit more messing around and I got my Asus DSL-AC68u working with SKY SIRO - Phewww. Now I just need to cancel my landline and I am happy out. Speeds are above 130Mb/s all around the house wirelessly on 5Ghz.

Here is what I changed in router settings.

1) Enable WAN
    2) Change connection type to PPPoE
    3)Enable 802.1Q option and VLAN ID to 10
    4)xxxxxx@skydsl and password xxxxxx it doesn't matter what you use.
    5) Internet detection PPP Echo with 6 and 10 as settings.

Reboot and I am up and running within couple of seconds. All working good so far. Hopefully this will help others too. Good Luck :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,045 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Ok. Bit more messing around and I got my Asus DSL-AC68u working with SKY SIRO - Phewww. Now I just need to cancel my landline and I am happy out. Speeds are above 130Mb/s all around the house wirelessly on 5Ghz.

Here is what I changed in router settings.

1) Enable WAN
    2) Change connection type to PPPoE
    3)Enable 802.1Q option and VLAN ID to 10
    4)xxxxxx@skydsl and password xxxxxx it doesn't matter what you use.
    5) Internet detection PPP Echo with 6 and 10 as settings.

Reboot and I am up and running within couple of seconds. All working good so far. Hopefully this will help others too. Good Luck :):)
    Please help me here as you aren't making things very clear. When you migrated to ftth your copper connection is gone, theres no need to cancel anything. What package are you on? 130 wouldn't be great speed.

You can port your landline number to another service and use the same number for VOIP through your router if you wish, and want to hold on to a particular geo number.

CoBo55 wrote: »
    Please help me here as you aren't making things very clear. When you migrated to ftth your copper connection is gone, theres no need to cancel anything. What package are you on? 130 wouldn't be great speed.

Hi sorry, by saying canceling my landline I mean I am still paying sky for my landline phone number and voice package that got moved over to FTTH system. Need for plugging my landline into Sky Router to make it work etc.

I am on 150Mb/s speed package so 130Mb/s on wireless is good enough for my liking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭bmc58

I would not bet on it.

Even Eir is not giving you a copperline, unless you're moving from a copperline to FTTH and specifying, that you want to keep it.

Vodafone will also delivery the phone via VoIP, if you order SIRO. They will not reactivate your copper line.

/M

Eir rep offered me a copper line that I still had coming into my house last year when I was thinking of switching.Told me it would be fine for all our household needs.Put him off and Googled copper v fiber and glad I didn't sine anything that day.Copper is obsolete .

You can port your landline number to another service and use the same number for VOIP through your router if you wish, and want to hold on to a particular geo number.

Yes I was thinking same but that would mean investing in new VOIP phone. To be honest we don't really use phone that often. It was wife who initially wanted it to call few people around. Now she says its fine as she can call everyone she needs internationally on Whatsapp.

Yes I was thinking same but that would mean investing in new VOIP phone. To be honest we don't really use phone that often. It was wife who initially wanted it to call few people around. Now she says its fine as she can call everyone she needs internationally on Whatsapp.

You don't need to use a VOIP phone, you can use an 'Analogue Telephone Adapter' (ATA) to go between your phone and an ethernet port.
    Those allow you to set up an account for whichever service you might decide to use.

They also allow freedom of placement ..... wherever there is a LAN socket and power outlet.

Can also be placed with router and existing tel wiring attached, so that the phone plugs in where it always did.

Just some options if you ever have a rethink!

If you had access to the Sky router VOIP set up you could probably use that as an ATA.

You don't need to use a VOIP phone, you can use an 'Analogue Telephone Adapter' (ATA) to go between your phone and an ethernet port.
    Those allow you to set up an account for whichever service you might decide to use.

They also allow freedom of placement ..... wherever there is a LAN socket and power outlet.

Can also be placed with router and existing tel wiring attached, so that the phone plugs in where it always did.

Just some options if you ever have a rethink!

If you had access to the Sky router VOIP set up you could probably use that as an ATA.

Many thanks, I didn't know anything about ATA. Good to know the options are there if needed. Thanks I will double check with the boss as what she wants :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭BigMoose

Is there any way of finding out if there's an issue in our estate re the Siro roll out? They did lots of ground work last December, even pulling the duct up to our electric meter. Half the estate comes up as available on siro.ie and our half as "coming soon" - it's been like this for both halves for 2-3 months now. My vdsl contract is up and am looking for FTTH if possible. I dont mind waiting a bit if it's ever going to happen, but if there's a problem and siro have given up I'll move to Virgin.

Advertisement