Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SIRO - ESB/Vodafone Fibre To The Home

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

Marlow wrote: »
    I would not bet on it.

Even Eir is not giving you a copperline, unless you're moving from a copperline to FTTH and specifying, that you want to keep it.

Vodafone will also delivery the phone via VoIP, if you order SIRO. They will not reactivate your copper line.

/M

My aunt had Eir Fibre installed during the year. Phone still comes in on the old line. Broadband on the new one. Wasn't specified. She had plugged the phone into the new router, only to find no tone.

Eir then informed her it has to stay connected to the old line. My brother also has it but his phone and broadband comes in on the new fibre line. Strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

7upfree wrote: »
    My aunt had Eir Fibre installed during the year. Phone still comes in on the old line. Broadband on the new one. Wasn't specified. She had plugged the phone into the new router, only to find no tone.

Eir then informed her it has to stay connected to the old line. My brother also has it but his phone and broadband comes in on the new fibre line. Strange.

No.

- if you have an active phone line on copper, when ordering, then the phone line usually stays on the copper line.

- if you have no active copper line or no copper line in place, then the phone usually is delivery VoIP.

- and sometimes it depends on what mood the person that ordered it on the day was in, but fact is, that if there is no active copper line, they won't install nor activate it.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

Vodafone Group has written down the carrying value of its Irish subsidiary by €630m, citing changed economic circumstances and increased competition in the market.

Vodafone Ireland said the goodwill impairment was an accounting adjustment and had no impact on its operations.

The company said it was fully committed to enhancing and expanding mobile and gigabit broadband networks in Ireland, and delivering “cutting-edge technology solutions to consumers and businesses across the country”.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/ireland/vodafone-irelands-no-barrel-of-laughs-ffqkfjhss

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

I'd say they'd want to readjust their mobile phone services offering. It's the least competitive on the market

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭20/20

Mc Love wrote: »
    I'd say they'd want to readjust their mobile phone services offering. It's the least competitive on the market

They now provide unlimited Data on the bill pay phone plans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

But the best by a factor of 10. I’d happily pay double what I’m paying.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

20/20 wrote: »
    They now provide unlimited Data on the bill pay phone plans.

For 9.99?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

For 9.99?

Hardly. Even GoMo does not offer that price anymore. It was only an introduction price for the first to sign up.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭thenightman

VF don't market their mobile services as cheap like 3 or Gomo though. That means VF actually have a useable data service, as their customers aren't using mobile data as their primary internet connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Mr. TTime

Hi All - quick tech question here. Two weeks ago our Vodafone fibre connection stopped working. I checked the ONT and the LOS light was red. This happened about 18 months earlier also so I rang Vodafone to get an engineer out. They said no problem, opened a ticket and said an engineer would be in contact to arrange a visit. That night the connection re-established itself and all seemed well. I considered cancelling the engineer visit but thought better of it.
    Fast forward a week and the internet goes again. This time there is no LOS light and a flashing PON light. I call Vodafone again to let them know and find out that they were looking to repair it remotely but that it didn't work - no engineer was scheduled to call out either. So no internet again.
    I check the next morning and it is back again. And it is still working but have an engineer coming out tomorrow to check the connections to the house.

So my questions: has this happened to anyone here before with the connection coming in and out? What do you think may be causing it? Wiring to the house or a breakdown on the network?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,687 ✭✭✭corks finest

Mr. TTime wrote: »
    Hi All - quick tech question here. Two weeks ago our Vodafone fibre connection stopped working. I checked the ONT and the LOS light was red. This happened about 18 months earlier also so I rang Vodafone to get an engineer out. They said no problem, opened a ticket and said an engineer would be in contact to arrange a visit. That night the connection re-established itself and all seemed well. I considered cancelling the engineer visit but thought better of it.
    Fast forward a week and the internet goes again. This time there is no LOS light and a flashing PON light. I call Vodafone again to let them know and find out that they were looking to repair it remotely but that it didn't work - no engineer was scheduled to call out either. So no internet again.
    I check the next morning and it is back again. And it is still working but have an engineer coming out tomorrow to check the connections to the house.

So my questions: has this happened to anyone here before with the connection coming in and out? What do you think may be causing it? Wiring to the house or a breakdown on the network?

Network issues definitely,in Cork having them since Christmas
    Changed 4 modems, latest a gigabyte one
    2 engineers
    All cabling changed, twice
    On Twitter since Christmas to VF (and in fairness they always answer)
    To their credit it's ok lately, didn't charge me a red cent for 3 / 4 months
    It worked mostly but slowed down evenings.
    SIRO
    Contacted Siro and then and only then did VF admit a network issue in Cork at the time

• Registered Users Posts: 20 nigeemac999

Hi the mother got ftth advertised as up to 1000 so she got the 150 package and it's not breaking 40mbs wirelessly sitting beside router it's coming off phone pole box at top of road bout 30 yards she does live rural but why advertise 1000 ? Thanks for replying 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Hi the mother got ftth advertised as up to 1000 so she got the 150 package and it's not breaking 40mbs wirelessly sitting beside router it's coming off phone pole box at top of road bout 30 yards she does live rural but why advertise 1000 ? Thanks for replying ��

1,000 is available if she wishes to pay for it and then connects devices capable of handling that speed.

What happens with wifi is solely the responsibility of the user.
    It is their equipment that connects to the router using wifi.
    The 150/1,000 is provided over fibre and ethernet cable.
    If you want reliable full speed then use ethernet cable to connect your devices.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭mcbert

Hi,

SIRO is not currently available at a new address I'm moving to in next few weeks, but I'm hoping it comes over next few months as it is in other estates in the area. But what to do before it comes? I need to sign up for internet - VDSL - but if that is a 12-month contract, do providers let you upgrade your contract to SIRO without having to wait out the remainder of the VDSL contract? I'm looking at you DigiWeb and Airwire...

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

mcbert wrote: »
    Hi,

SIRO is not currently available at a new address I'm moving to in next few weeks, but I'm hoping it comes over next few months as it is in other estates in the area. But what to do before it comes? I need to sign up for internet - VDSL - but if that is a 12-month contract, do providers let you upgrade your contract to SIRO without having to wait out the remainder of the VDSL contract? I'm looking at you DigiWeb and Airwire...

Thanks.

Why not contact them directly by email and ask ..... giving your new location/eircode?

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭mcbert

Why not contact them directly by email and ask ..... giving your new location/eircode?

I will closer to the time, but for now its late, I just thought of asking it, and the guys there are active here daily...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,045 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Hi,

Thanks.
    I was contacted by Digiweb last december as I showed interest in their siro offering, I could have signed up to their fttc product and be moved over to the ftth when it went live without any penalty. As I'm currently with VM 360 I didn't fancy going back to 65 meg so I signed up to them but nothing starts until I'm on their ftth package.

• Company Representative Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Digiweb

Hi,

Thanks.

Yes, no issues with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Hi the mother got ftth advertised as up to 1000 so she got the 150 package and it's not breaking 40mbs wirelessly sitting beside router it's coming off phone pole box at top of road bout 30 yards she does live rural but why advertise 1000 ? Thanks for replying ��
    That sounds fine. She's paying for 150, not 1000. As someone else mentioned, it's going to be slower over wireless connections too. I just did a speed test on my 1000Mb/s package and it's giving me just over 260Mb/s on the phone and 660Mb/s on the PC over ethernet. Wired speed varies between 600 and 800 over the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭cunnifferous

I've put my address into the address checker on siro.ie and it says its not available. When I go to the vodafone website it says I can get 1000Mbps broadband though at my address? Anyone come across this before? Is the Siro database slower to update?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭BigMoose

The Vodafone checker seems a bit off as for me it says I can get up to 24Mbps but am happily getting a steady 85Mbs from VF.

I've put my address into the address checker on siro.ie and it says its not available. When I go to the vodafone website it says I can get 1000Mbps broadband though at my address? Anyone come across this before? Is the Siro database slower to update?

Maybe Siro's not available but OpenEir's network is.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 AcidLollyPop

Hello all,

Oh lord where do I start.....

I built a house in a rural area. House is being built 3 years. The only thing stopping me moving in is internet. And forgive me as am not a teccie.

Had ESB poles and everything installed/moved. But I think it depends if the ESB wires on my road are connected to a cabinet?

How does one get SIRO? Can you pay them to install? Am that desperate.

Fiber stops 200 meters down the road, so not an option.

Hello all,

Oh lord where do I start.....

I built a house in a rural area. House is being built 3 years. The only thing stopping me moving in is internet. And forgive me as am not a teccie.

Had ESB poles and everything installed/moved. But I think it depends if the ESB wires on my road are connected to a cabinet?

How does one get SIRO? Can you pay them to install? Am that desperate.

Fiber stops 200 meters down the road, so not an option.

Siro in general isn't available in Rural area's it's more so available in Regional towns and in some cases the outskirts (Drogheda, Navan, Clonmel etc.) If you'd like us to double check send a PM with your Eircode or if you haven't got an Eircode yet the Eircode of your nearest neighbour

• Registered Users Posts: 29 AcidLollyPop

PMed you my woeful tale Digiweb.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭mirrorball

Placed a gigabit order with Digiweb after getting some advice from Brendan, their rep on here.
    Unfortunately Siro deem the cost for ESB Networks to connect to my house from the pole across the road to be prohibitive.

Digiweb have been very helpful throughout but it's very disappointing. Siro dug up the road and all the verges outside our house for about 6 weeks last summer. The grass still hasn't grown back and at the end of it all, we can't get the benefits. Feel like when I was living in Kilpedder and the N11 was built but they didn't bother with building an interchange until about 20 years later :)

I was going to see if I could rally the neighbours and approach Siro to see if we could split the cost for connecting. Anyone tried this?

Anyway, thumbs up for Digiweb's order process and getting the installation team out to assess the house and do the preliminary work in getting a bracket on the house. All very quick and easy despite the covid situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭sibersha

Getting poor speeds on WiFi recently, I have Vodafone Siro 1 gigabit package. I'm on one of the Huawei routers. Wired is fine and sometimes 5Ghz channel works ok too but has poor range.

For the most part the speeds can drop down to 5Mbps to 13Mbps on either 2.4Ghz / 5Ghz

I have factory reset, rebooted router, changed WiFi channels, changed SSIDs all to no joy. And Vodafone point blank refuse to send a replacement router.

I am considering moving to Digiweb but the 1TB allowance is worrying as last month we used in region of 700 GB

Anyone any advice with modem or other providers? Has anyone tried sky?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,808 ✭✭✭b.gud

sibersha wrote: »
    Getting poor speeds on WiFi recently, I have Vodafone Siro 1 gigabit package. I'm on one of the Huawei routers. Wired is fine and sometimes 5Ghz channel works ok too but has poor range.

For the most part the speeds can drop down to 5Mbps to 13Mbps on either 2.4Ghz / 5Ghz

I have factory reset, rebooted router, changed WiFi channels, changed SSIDs all to no joy. And Vodafone point blank refuse to send a replacement router.

I am considering moving to Digiweb but the 1TB allowance is worrying as last month we used in region of 700 GB

Anyone any advice with modem or other providers? Has anyone tried sky?

Is the reason you are thinking of moving solely based on your wireless connectivity? Because if so it might not be the best solution. Wifi is a fantastic technology when it works but it can also be incredibly flaky and changing providers will not necessarily fix your issues.

You said that your wired connection is fine which indicates that the problem is most likely with the router. Before you go changing providers I would consider switching out your ISP provided router for something a bit better and see if that solves your issues. The good thing about changing router is that even if it doesn't solve your issue you will still be able to use it with your new provider.

Also get an app like wifi analyzer on your phone and see if there are any bands that you can switch to that are less congested than the one your router is currently working on

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭sibersha

Hi B.gud. thanks for the reply.

Yeah the WiFi speeds are main reason for considering moving. I understand there are many factors to determine WiFi performance but as far as I can tell it's a router issue and options are to buy a router or move provider and get a new free router.

If I was to buy a new router, could you suggest one please?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,808 ✭✭✭b.gud

Yeah the WiFi speeds are main reason for considering moving. I understand there are many factors to determine WiFi performance but as far as I can tell it's a router issue and options are to buy a router or move provider and get a new free router.

Unfortunately the problem with that is that the new ISP isn't guaranteed to have a better router and in fact it may even be worse than what you currently have.
    If I was to buy a new router, could you suggest one please?

Well it kind of depends on a few different factors such as your budget, how much tinkering you want to do and how big of an area you are trying to cover

A quick note before I give recommendations if you want to completely get rid of the ISP provided router you need to ensure that the router you get is capable of tagging all incoming traffic to vlan 10. If the router can not do this then you will need to plug the new router into your ISP router and put the old router into bridge mode. The only one I have first hand experience of is the first recommendation and I was able to do this but I do use a custom firmware, though I think you should be able to do it with the stock firmware. But be surer to do some research before you buy to ensure that the router you want can meet your needs

I have one of these and it is a really great performer at a decent price point. It can also very easily be flashed with OpenWrt very easily, this is what I have done, which allows for a lot of tinkering.

If you have a larger area to cover and are willing to spend a bit more Google Wifi mesh system is great for covering larger areas and is designed to be very user friendly so you will have to do vey little tinkering with the settings.

If money is not an issue and you really want to tinker you could go for a complete Ubiquiti UniFi setup, this is what I plan to do over the next few years, which gives you huge amount of control over your network and has really good hardware that will five you the best signal possible.

Advertisement