Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SIRO - ESB/Vodafone Fibre To The Home

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭heroics

I’m with sky 1gb ftth and get between 400-500 consistently on the iPhone8 when I have line of sight to the router.

Wired generally around 800 with the laptop.

I’d second the suggestion above to confirm your on the right plan with Vodafone. When I initially got sky in they put me on the 150 down package by mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Stone

Hedge777 wrote: »
    My sister just got Siro/Vodaphone 1Gb FTTH installed just last Friday, so I popped around on Saturday to check it out, speed wise, that is. I live in a rural location and work on Imagines network getting an average of about 85MB download so I was interested to see how fast this Gigabit fiber is.
    Plugged in the cable and did the first speed test, 79MB down ,92MB up !!. Tried it again 82Mb down 92MB up, on Ookla, tried TestMy. net, 75MB down 89MB up. Mush the same speeds at different times over the next few hours?? Got about half these speeds on wifi, which I would expect.

Is this supposed to be a 1GB connection, or is it the "Irish kind" of Gigabit? If you get less than a tenth of what you are told it is some joke! I was expecting a disappointing, maybe 300 or 250 mb speeds but not less than 100!

Is this a typical speed for most users with Vodaphone 1GB FTTH connections?

I mostly get around 8-900 mbit up and 200 down on Vodafone's 1gbit SIRO FTTH - this is from right now: https://www.speedtest.net/result/9609773447

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Hedge777

b.gud wrote: »
    I have siro through Vodafone and I would say my average speeds are around 400/500 down when checking on a wired connection.

One thing to note is that Siro is a gigabit connection but Vodafone do offer a 100mb connection, it may be worth your sister confirming that she signed up for the gigabit bundle rather than the 100mb bundle. If she did indeed sign up for the gigabit bundle and the wired speeds are sub 100mb, on the Vodafone provided router*, then I would definitely get in contact with them as that is not right.

*edit I also second what paulboland said above confirm that you have a gigabit enabled card you'd be amazed the devices that aren't capable of wired gigabit connections

* I personally think the router they supply isn't great but if you are trying on a different router the first thing they will do is ask you to check on their own one as they don't provide technical support for routers they don't provide

Thank you and everyone for their reply's.
    I spoke to her today and she told me that initally she applied for the 150mb as she is only using it to work from home. Then she got a call from somebody at Vodaphone and was told that Gigabit is available in her estate and she would be better off with it, as she is not tech savy she said yes.
    It took three weeks to get it installed as the first guy said a duct was blocked and then had to wait for some other team to come and cut the footpath to clear the block, then remake another appointment for the first guy to come back to install, was getting all kind of times and dates.
    On Friday evening, after it was installed first thing that morning she got a call from vodaphone again telling her that the installer will be around at 4 on Monday to install!

Looks like the left hand does not know what the right is doing, so maybe she is on the 150mb deal, but how she has 92mb upload on that deal is a mystery. The laptop I was using is 9 months old so dont know what card is in it, presume it should handle 1000mb. It could be the patch cable, it looked like a 4-5m length of white cat5 with some RJ45 connections stuck on at either end, like something they made up for her as the workdesk is across the room from where they drilled through the wall and placed the router.

Thanks for your advise, and everyone else who replied.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭ipodrocker

if the Cat cable is Cat5 its only has capacity for 100mb data, she might be best ordereing a pre-terminated cat6 cable of amazon and if there is a speed bump that might be the reason.

• Company Representative Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Digiweb

Hi, we have updated our product checkers this morning with new Siro premises avaialble to order nationwide

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭atlantean

I’ve had the Vodafone service since January and I’m getting on average 930Mbps down and 193Mbps up! Occasionally it will drop to around 80Mbps down but you don’t notice it!

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭peking97

atlantean wrote: »
    I’ve had the Vodafone service since January and I’m getting on average 930Mbps down and 193Mbps up! Occasionally it will drop to around 80Mbps down but you don’t notice it!

Great speeds! As a matter of interest did the installation team consult you beforehand on the routing of cabling, position of router etc.?

peking97 wrote: »
    Great speeds! As a matter of interest did the installation team consult you beforehand on the routing of cabling, position of router etc.?

Yes they did!

Installation was 2 weeks from the time I ordered the service. This was a date set by myself as I wasn’t able to be around the previous week when they wanted to do the installation.

It was an AM installation but due to high winds and bad weather they requested to change to a PM installation which I agreed to. The rang 30 minutes before they arrived to let me know they were on the way.

They asked where in the house I wanted the router and then showed me how they planned on bringing in the cable!

They were extremely tidy, I couldn’t fault their work at all. However, someone else arrived at my house 2 weeks later and wasn’t entirely happy with how the cable was fixed to my house outside so had another installation crew call to rectify the issue. To be honest I was happy how it was in the beginning but it wasn’t up to their standards.

Anyway, it’s all working fine.

I’ve attached a shot of the results of a speed test taken on my TV.

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

We have updated the database on our availability checker today.

South Dublin - nearly 1500 new premises
    Galway - nearly 1000 new premises
    Limerick - 355 new premises

Also Athlone and Portlaoise got a few new ones added.

On SIRO, we currently cover Athlone, Clarecastle, Ennis, Galway, Limerick, Oranmore, Portlaoise, Shannon, Sixmilebridge, Sligo and South Dublin.

The availability checker can be found here: https://www.airwire.ie/avail

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭habanerocat

Is there a Vodafone broadband outage in Limerick at the moment?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭oleard1987

I have looked over numerous website posts and threads on boards but i cant find any updates on the progress in Cork ,I know they had 5 towns planned for Cork this year

Midelton has been completed but Carrigtwohill,Blarney,Tower and Charleville

Has anybody seen Siro rollout vans in these areas or had any communication regarding these

Also emailed Siro and got the generic line that its planned and should be soon

Any information would be greatly appreciated

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭ipodrocker

ordered gigabit on Thursday and installation on Monday excited!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 861 ✭✭✭boardzz

Anyone with Vodafone get a text to say €10 discount will be applied to bill for the next 12 months?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 808 ✭✭✭amdaley28

boardzz wrote: »
    Anyone with Vodafone get a text to say €10 discount will be applied to bill for the next 12 months?

No, not yet anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,182 ✭✭✭CoBo55

I think I'll hustle VM for a new deal, supposed to go live here in march then June I just received an email from them saying they have no future date available for the area. €67.50 per month to VM is too much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 861 ✭✭✭boardzz

Got bill today. Still inside 6 months so with the new €10 discount it was only €14.33 for 1Gb Broadband and TV
    Next month will be full price €55

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭sibersha

Been running TP-Link router with settings as advised on here; PPOE, serialnumber@vfieftth.ie, broadband

All working fine as expected, however around at midday today, the internet connection stopped working, can connect device to router but not router to internet. The old Vodafone router is working however.

Would anyone have any suggestions to get the tp-link back up and running? No settings on the router have changed since setup 2 months ago and was running seamlessly until today. Have vodafone changed something?

I haven’t received a txt! I must check my next bill.

• Company Representative Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Digiweb

Hi All,

We've updated our product checkers this morning with new Siro premises available to order nationwide :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Mylow

Anyone with Pure Telecom? Currently with Digiweb but feel they are no longer competitive.

From Digiwebs page:
    "Contract at €24.95 per month for 4 months (€54.95 per month for balance of 12 month contract). €59.95 per month thereafter.
    One time €49 activation fee applies.

Not impressed with activation fee if your already a customer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭TheQuietBeatle

Any recommdations for increasing wifi for Vodafone gigabox on far side of the house?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Any recommdations for increasing wifi for Vodafone gigabox on far side of the house?

I use something like this.
    https://www.tp-link.com/uk/home-networking/powerline/tl-wpa8630p-kit/

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭whosedaddy?

Mylow wrote: »
    Anyone with Pure Telecom? Currently with Digiweb but feel they are no longer competitive.

From Digiwebs page:
    "Contract at €24.95 per month for 4 months (€54.95 per month for balance of 12 month contract). €59.95 per month thereafter.
    One time €49 activation fee applies.

Not impressed with activation fee if your already a customer.

No activation fee for existing customer . (According to Digiweb in the Digiweb thread. )

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭TheQuietBeatle

I noticed after posting it was on 2ghz range and when I switched over to 5ghz it increased speed 4 times as much. Not sure how strong the signal will be though as seems to have less range so may disconnect from time time in the room.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,918 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

all providers have activation fees when changing providers. If your an existing customer with a provider there are no activation fees.

• Company Representative Posts: 195 Verified rep Westnet: Paul

Gonzo wrote: »
    all providers have activation fees when changing providers.

Ahem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭corks finest

atlantean wrote: »
    I haven’t received a txt! I must check my next bill.

No thanks be to God

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

Hi, a post on this form mentioned and showed how that they got a very neat Siro install with the optical network terminal inside their house (see link below). This really appeals to me. Is this set up rare, and I guess it could depend on the crew on the day? I have a monocouche render and boxes on the render will cause a lot of algae build up so I would love to do this
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin//showpost.php?p=108164011&postcount=5263

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 983 ✭✭✭Stephen Strange

Hi, a post on this form mentioned and showed how that they got a very neat Siro install with the optical network terminal inside their house (see link below). This really appeals to me. Is this set up rare, and I guess it could depend on the crew on the day? I have a monocouche render and boxes on the render will cause a lot of algae build up so I would love to do this
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin//showpost.php?p=108164011&postcount=5263

That post says that they brought the cable into the house themselves, not actavo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

That post says that they brought the cable into the house themselves, not actavo

I see. Well I will try to do that when I order. I would be lovely to make use of the ducts in the house. I just hope the installation crew are not annoyed by it.

Advertisement