Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SIRO - ESB/Vodafone Fibre To The Home

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭jim salter

Stone wrote: »
    Not trying to be cheeky or so ... but you do realize that Eir and SIRO are 2 very different networks with different speeds etc. ?
    So if you Eir install and checking with SIRO that does not compute (SIRO is installed in collaboration with ESB and Eir has their own network) ....

Not interpreted as cheeky.

I did type Eir, I meant Actavo (JV partners with ESB/Vodafone for SIRO).

As CoBo55 said I meant the installer.

Honestly don't know why I typed Eir (just habit I guess).

I do have a SIRO install with the service prided by VF. The contract is 1Gb (in reality around 942Mb) but the max speed available is 308Mb according to tech support from VF.

While it is still 3 times faster than my previous connection and around the same price, if I am contracted to 1Gb I expect 1Gb (or thereabouts).

Will update when (if) I get a call back from a VF managing tech.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,045 ✭✭✭CoBo55

jim salter wrote: »

I do have a SIRO install with the service prided by VF. The contract is 1Gb (in reality around 942Mb) but the max speed available is 308Mb according to tech support from VF.

While it is still 3 times faster than my previous connection and around the same price, if I am contracted to 1Gb I expect 1Gb (or thereabouts).

VF are telling you absolute rubbish, cancel and go with a decent provider while you're still in the cooling off period.

CoBo55 wrote: »
    VF are telling you absolute rubbish, cancel and go with a decent provider while you're still in the cooling off period.

Believe me, I know this :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Anyone comes across an issue with VF Siro whereby video calls are really poor quality and regularly drop? Up/Down speeds are 48/18, which should be better but should still comfortably handle video calls. This is happening on all devices that are video call capable.

Is there a setting in the gigabox that needs to be adjusted?

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Stone

All good then :P
    I have SIRO gigabit with VF myself (for a year now) - never had any issues and get up and around 900mbit virtually all the time ...
    Mind you that VF currently has different SIRO offerings - one being 500mbit ... but if you say you have the gigabit offering specified in your contract then you shoudl obviously also get that. You should check the work order details on My Vodafone to verify it actually corresponds to your contractual terms ....

• Advertisement

Surprise, surprise. Still no call back from VF

Surprise, surprise. Still no call back from VF

Stop their money they won't be long calling you... Genuinely, you need to strongly consider moving to a different provider while you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 NiceSwan

Hi all,

just wondering, i have an installation of Siro due wed in mallow.

Some polish lads turned up yesterday, unexpectedly, to put a self tapping bolt on d front of the bungalow. Convinced them to use a bracket on the gable end behind the chimney as it has direct line of sight to the cable on the esb pole 6 metres away.

Does the Siro have to go all the ways the internal Esb meter? At present the Esb wires go from the pole to the chimney and are then routed down and wrap around below the roof to the back of the bungalow into the utility room. its an old bungalow. The ideal place for the siro & router would be straight down from the bracket they put up and into the living room.

i felt the polish lad was struggling a bit with his english so wasn't easy to get all the info out of him. so some things were a bit lost in translation.

can the fiber just run overhead independently of the esb connection to the house does anyone know or does it have to be wrapped as far as the chimney and then to the bracket?

The girl with the isp mentioned that a standard installation is free but i would be given a quote for a nonstandard installation before they will proceed. any ideas what constitutes a nonstandard installation?

Many thanks!

CoBo55 wrote: »
    Stop their money they won't be long calling you... Genuinely, you need to strongly consider moving to a different provider while you can.

Haven't paid them anything yet and am still within the 14 day COP.

If this is not resolved this week the service will be canceled and will move to Digiweb as they are listed as offering 1Gb at my address

Haven't paid them anything yet and am still within the 14 day COP.

If this is not resolved this week the service will be canceled and will move to Digiweb as they are listed as offering 1Gb at my address

Do it, if you have ftth you can get 1Gb from all providers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Darren 83

I have SIRO installed is it possible to change the cable so I could move my router about 2 meters away closer to my tv and off my window?

Darren 83 wrote: »
    I have SIRO installed is it possible to change the cable so I could move my router about 2 meters away closer to my tv and off my window?

Just get a longer cat6 cable and leave the ont where it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭paddy19

Anyone got any experience of connection to house next door but not us!

I used the SIRO address check to see what houses had availability FTTH along the street.

House next door no bother.

No joy for us.

ESB light pole just across the road, but cables are underground.

I'm assuming it must be distance to the nearest pole.

Anyone an idea of max distance from pole.

Any way of making appeal case to SIRO.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭vigos

vigos wrote: »
    Also recently got Vodafone 1Gb BB and getting extremely low rates ~ 70Mbs connected with Wifi right beside router. Rang Vodafone and was told it was becuase order hadn't been closed and download rates will go up once it has been, which sounds like BS to me.

I'm going to check with ethernet once I get my hands on a cable but is there anything else I should check?

Well finally got to test this with a Cat 6 ethernet cable and getting 900Mbs plus so connection is ok just Wifi is really bad unless you're up close to Gigabox and using 5Ghz band.

Any recommendations for a replacement router?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,808 ✭✭✭b.gud

Well finally got to test this with a Cat 6 ethernet cable and getting 900Mbs plus so connection is ok just Wifi is really bad unless you're up close to Gigabox and using 5Ghz band.

Any recommendations for a replacement router?

Here's a post I put up earlier in the thread when a similar question came up, hope it helps

Well it kind of depends on a few different factors such as your budget, how much tinkering you want to do and how big of an area you are trying to cover

A quick note before I give recommendations if you want to completely get rid of the ISP provided router you need to ensure that the router you get is capable of tagging all incoming traffic to vlan 10. If the router can not do this then you will need to plug the new router into your ISP router and put the old router into bridge mode. The only one I have first hand experience of is the first recommendation and I was able to do this but I do use a custom firmware, though I think you should be able to do it with the stock firmware. But be surer to do some research before you buy to ensure that the router you want can meet your needs

I have one of these and it is a really great performer at a decent price point. It can also very easily be flashed with OpenWrt very easily, this is what I have done, which allows for a lot of tinkering.

If you have a larger area to cover and are willing to spend a bit more Google Wifi mesh system is great for covering larger areas and is designed to be very user friendly so you will have to do vey little tinkering with the settings.

If money is not an issue and you really want to tinker you could go for a complete Ubiquiti UniFi setup, this is what I plan to do over the next few years, which gives you huge amount of control over your network and has really good hardware that will give you the best signal possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭vigos

b.gud wrote: »
    Here's a post I put up earlier in the thread when a similar question came up, hope it helps

Well it kind of depends on a few different factors such as your budget, how much tinkering you want to do and how big of an area you are trying to cover

A quick note before I give recommendations if you want to completely get rid of the ISP provided router you need to ensure that the router you get is capable of tagging all incoming traffic to vlan 10. If the router can not do this then you will need to plug the new router into your ISP router and put the old router into bridge mode. The only one I have first hand experience of is the first recommendation and I was able to do this but I do use a custom firmware, though I think you should be able to do it with the stock firmware. But be surer to do some research before you buy to ensure that the router you want can meet your needs

I have one of these and it is a really great performer at a decent price point. It can also very easily be flashed with OpenWrt very easily, this is what I have done, which allows for a lot of tinkering.

If you have a larger area to cover and are willing to spend a bit more Google Wifi mesh system is great for covering larger areas and is designed to be very user friendly so you will have to do vey little tinkering with the settings.

If money is not an issue and you really want to tinker you could go for a complete Ubiquiti UniFi setup, this is what I plan to do over the next few years, which gives you huge amount of control over your network and has really good hardware that will give you the best signal possible.

Brilliant thanks for that! Sounds just like what I'm looking for and good price point too, I'm also open to installing OpenWRT as I dont mind tinkering with things. Its for a semi-d so not a huge house but would just like mainly to improve the wifi performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,808 ✭✭✭b.gud

Brilliant thanks for that! Sounds just like what I'm looking for and good price point too, I'm also open to installing OpenWRT as I dont mind tinkering with things. Its for a semi-d so not a huge house but would just like mainly to improve the wifi performance.

You could also keep an eye out on DoneDeal/Adverts for bargain of people who are upgrading. I picked up a Linksys WRT 1900, which is more powerful than the TP Link I mentioned, in perfect condition for €40 on Adverts a while back. I've got a tall house so I run both routers on OpenWrt and get good signal all around the house

To keep updated:

Called VF this morning and they will send a replacement router.

As per vigos - I assumed the black cable that came with the VF router was CAT6?

Even at that, the speed of 290/300 with a device 10cm from the router should return a lot more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Darren 83

I’ve a few devices I’d like to wire directly to the router as my old eir router was the same

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I’ve a few devices I’d like to wire directly to the router as my old eir router was the same

You can replace the ethernet cable into the router with a longer one, if that is what you mean.
    Ensure it is a good cable properly terminated and either Cat 5e or Cat 6.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭rodneytrotter15

Posted this elsewhere but might be more appropriate here...

Hi, I've just had Pure Telecom install 1 gig Siro line to my house. Regular 4 bed semi with back of house to be extended about 20 sq metres. They supplied a Frtizel box and it runs 5ghz 641 down and 102 up when in the same room testing on my phone. The 2.5Ghz runs 107 down and 82 up in same place. Where the extension has started there is no 5ghz but it is picking up the 2.5ghz and speed is about 1.34 down and 10.5 up. I reckon this will be enough for Sky Q mini and Netflix etc. However I'd like to install a Ring outdoor flood lit camera in the back. Wife's business is out there etc and it's only a couple of metres beyond where the extension is going. Have a Ring Pro on front and a few smart plugs etc but that's it.

What's the best value non wired product to boost the range I should be looking to purchase ? I've read about changing current box to a modem and use a mesh system or is this more than I need...any advice appreciated...

To keep updated:

Called VF this morning and they will send a replacement router.

As per vigos - I assumed the black cable that came with the VF router was CAT6?

Even at that, the speed of 290/300 with a device 10cm from the router should return a lot more.

Have been told by VF today that the are not sending a new router as the router is fin.

Absolute cowboys

• Registered Users Posts: 13 bbpete

Deco Mesh range give good coverage and has 2.5 and 5ghz wireless, can cover up to 6000 sq feet

Soooo ... are you referring to wireless speeds here :confused:
    If so you won't get Gig speeds - depending on your client this is what to expect from WiFi ....

Soooo ... are you referring to wireless speeds here :confused:
    If so you won't get Gig speeds - depending on your client this is what to expect from WiFi ....

Yes, that was over wifi. On 3 occasions the speed test returned 350+ but the rest of the time it is maxing out at 300. I used multiple devices from top end mobile phones (x2) to a Microsoft Surface Book 2, to a Thinkpad X1 Carbon (7th Gen) and a Dell Venue tablet. So multiple devices.

Over a Cat6 wired connection the speeds are slower - less then 200Mbps.

I assume if I use my own router (DLink DIR842 AC1200 Gigabit) I can test by connecting my own router directly to the OTN and seeing if there is any improvement?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,384 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

I apologise in advance, as I'm sure this question has been asked dozens of times already.

I got Siro FTTH into the house, saw the lads drill through the external wall.

With Vodafone, plan called Gigabit Broadband Experience 1000.

I have a computer beside the router, using ethernet.

I have checked the speed many times, I get usually get 300-320 mbps down.

Is that typical?

Just checked it now, and for the first time ever, I am getting 670 down!!!

EDIT: I tried several speed tests, and only Google shows 550-600, all the rest are 230

Yes, that was over wifi. On 3 occasions the speed test returned 350+ but the rest of the time it is maxing out at 300. I used multiple devices from top end mobile phones (x2) to a Microsoft Surface Book 2, to a Thinkpad X1 Carbon (7th Gen) and a Dell Venue tablet. So multiple devices.

Over a Cat6 wired connection the speeds are slower - less then 200Mbps.

I assume if I use my own router (DLink DIR842 AC1200 Gigabit) I can test by connecting my own router directly to the OTN and seeing if there is any improvement?

Yup .... you can connect directly to the ONT - there are a few threads around for the exact config you need.
    However even with cabled connection you need to ensure your device NIC is up for gigabit speeds - check the link speed in the network settings (assume Windows here).

Just recalled that when I got SIRO a year ago my desktop (connected via CAT6 ethernet cabling) could not get more than a couple of hundred megs speed - np matter what I did helped.
    So I grabbed a USB stick and installed a live Linux distro on that - booted my PC on that and presto, got 900+Mbit DL speeds. That clearly showed my W10 installation had issues.
    Tried to reinstall network drivers; software; settings etc. - no go, so I had to do a refresh of the W10 installation ... and presto, got 900+mbit DL there too.
    So this tale could perhaps be of of help - I recommend to try a live Linus stick first before reinstalling your main OS ;)

Yup .... you can connect directly to the ONT - there are a few threads around for the exact config you need.
    However even with cabled connection you need to ensure your device NIC is up for gigabit speeds - check the link speed in the network settings (assume Windows here).

Just recalled that when I got SIRO a year ago my desktop (connected via CAT6 ethernet cabling) could not get more than a couple of hundred megs speed - np matter what I did helped.
    So I grabbed a USB stick and installed a live Linux distro on that - booted my PC on that and presto, got 900+Mbit DL speeds. That clearly showed my W10 installation had issues.
    Tried to reinstall network drivers; software; settings etc. - no go, so I had to do a refresh of the W10 installation ... and presto, got 900+mbit DL there too.
    So this tale could perhaps be of of help - I recommend to try a live Linus stick first before reinstalling your main OS ;)

If you have a link to any of the threads that would be appreciated. I have browsed through some of the threads and used the config without success.

The hardware I have supports gigabit connections. Have used 2 of these devices in a neighbors (SIRO from Pure Telecom) and on a wired connection the speed was consistently 800+ and wireless 400+

While I appreciate that installing a Linux distro might be helpful I shouldn't have to. The devices I have have different OSs on them and none of them have achieved more than 320+/- wireless and wired (avg) less than 200 through my VF SIRO connection.

After speaking to support today for over 90 mins again, they have extended my CoP to have an engineer come out and test the installation and the router.

After the support agent power cycled my router (remotely) a few times and modified some settings the speeds did initially increase slightly but since then wireless has bee between 40 and 70 and wired has been less than 100.

This is the reason I would like to test with the router I have direct to the ONT.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

While I appreciate that installing a Linux distro might be helpful I shouldn't have to.

The suggestion was not to install Linux but to run it as a Live session where you can check your hardware to ensure it is OK.

Almost all Linux distros can be run live from USB or optical media.

• Advertisement

The suggestion was not to install Linux but to run it as a Live session where you can check your hardware to ensure it is OK.

Almost all Linux distros can be run live from USB or optical media.

Would mean I'd have to install on a USB.

As I said, when tested on a neighbours SIRO connection speeds were fine

Advertisement