Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SIRO - ESB/Vodafone Fibre To The Home

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Anyone comes across an issue with VF Siro whereby video calls are really poor quality and regularly drop? Up/Down speeds are 48/18, which should be better but should still comfortably handle video calls. This is happening on all devices that are video call capable.

Is there a setting in the gigabox that needs to be adjusted?

Can anyone help with this please?

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭vigos

jim salter wrote: »
    If you have a link to any of the threads that would be appreciated. I have browsed through some of the threads and used the config without success.

I've also been looking for the config to use, which threads have you used? Tagging VLAN 10 seems to be important part

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=108372780&postcount=5353

"You don't need to bridge the fritz box with Siro
    Your ONT is the modem you just need to setup ASUS Router using PPPoe connection using the Digiweb username and password
    You need VLAN ID to 10
    To set VLAN ID to 10 in Asus Router go to LAN section : IPTV
    Lan Port : ISP Profile : Manual setting
    Internet VID 10 - Prio 0
    Apply and reboot

ELECTRIC BROADBAND SETTINGS:
    • Connection type = PPPoE
    • Username = digiweb@siro.digiweb.ie
    • Password = digiweb
    • VLAN ID = 10
    "

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Stone

If you have a link to any of the threads that would be appreciated. I have browsed through some of the threads and used the config without success.

Ahh Mr. Salter ... appears you don't take suggestions nicely - so hmmm :confused:
    Anyway to nudge you in the right direction together with the recent help but with Digiweb .... https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=113532257 as you obviously use VF ....

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭jim salter

Stone wrote: »
    Ahh Mr. Salter ... appears you don't take suggestions nicely - so hmmm :confused:
    Anyway to nudge you in the right direction together with the recent help but with Digiweb .... https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=113532257 as you obviously use VF ....

Ahh Mr Stone, as you seem to be following my posts you should have seen that I did set the VID to 10 but had no joy, nobody likes a smart ass

The suggestion was not to install Linux but to run it as a Live session where you can check your hardware to ensure it is OK.

Almost all Linux distros can be run live from USB or optical media.

As people have given time to my questions thought I should update:

Thanks for the suggestion on Linux. It has been a long time since I used Linux. Used to run Linux Mint as my daily a (good)few years back and used RHEL for work. Anyways, installed Kubuntu on another ThinkPad x201 I had (bought 2 form a company I worked for when they were upgrading their machines).

So the set up is:

2 x Lenovo ThinkPad X201
    (both identical spec:
    -i5 M520 2.40GHz,
    -8GB RAM,
    -Intel 82577LM GB NIC,
    -Kingston 1Tb SSD).

One has Kubuntu installed (fresh) and the other has Windows 10 installed (fresh and updated) and both tested on brand new CAT6 cables purchased in Currys

Results from fast.com:

Linux : 800Mbps consistently
    Windows: 260/280Mbps

Results from Ookla:

Linux : 700/800Mbps
    Windows: 350/420Mbps

Total number of speed test run 40 over 2 days (20 on each test website).

Haven't run any further tests on the ThinkPad X1 Gen7 Carbon or the Surface Book.

On the phones in the house 5Ghz is in and around 250/300Mbps.

Have been unable to get the DLINK router to run directly from the OTN.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Stone

Ahh Mr Stone, as you seem to be following my posts you should have seen that I did set the VID to 10 but had no joy, nobody likes a smart ass

My apologies if you took this as being a "smart-assy" response - I was merely trying to inject a bit of ;) and :rolleyes: due to your very own 'snarky' response about trying with a live Linux version (which from your last post I can see you did and, yes, got the full bandwidth - so I reckon point made, now try to re-install Windows and see what you get w/o adding various programs etc. ....).

Back to the point - I am sure you set the VLAN ID correctly to 10, however the reason for pointing towards the link I provided was the user creds (as the other post referred to Digiweb creds and not Vodafone ones) ....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

As people have given time to my questions thought I should update:

Thanks for the suggestion on Linux. It has been a long time since I used Linux. Used to run Linux Mint as my daily a (good)few years back and used RHEL for work. Anyways, installed Kubuntu on another ThinkPad x201 I had (bought 2 form a company I worked for when they were upgrading their machines).

So the set up is:

2 x Lenovo ThinkPad X201
    (both identical spec:
    -i5 M520 2.40GHz,
    -8GB RAM,
    -Intel 82577LM GB NIC,
    -Kingston 1Tb SSD).

One has Kubuntu installed (fresh) and the other has Windows 10 installed (fresh and updated) and both tested on brand new CAT6 cables purchased in Currys

Results from fast.com:

Linux : 800Mbps consistently
    Windows: 260/280Mbps

Results from Ookla:

Linux : 700/800Mbps
    Windows: 350/420Mbps

Total number of speed test run 40 over 2 days (20 on each test website).

Haven't run any further tests on the ThinkPad X1 Gen7 Carbon or the Surface Book.

On the phones in the house 5Ghz is in and around 250/300Mbps.

Have been unable to get the DLINK router to run directly from the OTN.

Maybe I am being a bit dense here, but I am unsure if you ran Linux as a live session on the machine with Windows installed.

I would want to see a speed comparison from both Win & Lin run on the same hardware (not just a second similarly specified device).

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭vigos

My apologies if you took this as being a "smart-assy" response - I was merely trying to inject a bit of ;) and :rolleyes: due to your very own 'snarky' response about trying with a live Linux version (which from your last post I can see you did and, yes, got the full bandwidth - so I reckon point made, now try to re-install Windows and see what you get w/o adding various programs etc. ....).

Back to the point - I am sure you set the VLAN ID correctly to 10, however the reason for pointing towards the link I provided was the user creds (as the other post referred to Digiweb creds and not Vodafone ones) ....

Probably me confusing the situation as was me who posted the digiweb one !

I have 2 identical laptops, one with Linux (Kubuntu) and one with Windows (10 - clean install, no programs added and all updates taken) and the results are posted.

I'm scratching my head as to why Linux is returning higher speeds than Windows on the same hardware.

Yeah, I get ya. The credentials I was using were the correct VF creds, but still no joy with using the DLINK. Will have a look in my black hold and see if I have another Gb router I can try

Maybe I am being a bit dense here, but I am unsure if you ran Linux as a live session on the machine with Windows installed.

I would want to see a speed comparison from both Win & Lin run on the same hardware (not just a second similarly specified device).

No not running Linux as a live session on a windows machine

Two separate machines but the same make/model/spec (I bought them off a past employer when they were upgrading their machines)

1 has a full Linux install (Kubuntu) running as the only OS on that machine.
    1 has Windows 10 (fully updated) running as the only OS on that machine.

So, yes, the speed comparison is on 2 separate but identical machines hardware wise.

• Advertisement

vigos wrote: »
    Probably me confusing the situation as was me who posted the digiweb one !

:D

No not running Linux as a live session on a windows machine

Two separate machines but the same make/model/spec (I bought them off a past employer when they were upgrading their machines)

1 has a full Linux install (Kubuntu) running as the only OS on that machine.
    1 has Windows 10 (fully updated) running as the only OS on that machine.

So, yes, the speed comparison is on 2 separate but identical machines hardware wise.

That is the reason why, IMO, the comparison falls down.

All it takes is to run Linux Live on the Win machine to get a direct comparison on the same hardware.

Otherwise there might be some hardware cause for the difference.

That is the reason why, IMO, the comparison falls down.

All it takes is to run Linux Live on the Win machine to get a direct comparison on the same hardware.

Otherwise there might be some hardware cause for the difference.

The machines are identical in every way - CPU, GPU, RAM (I upgraded the RAM on both machines with the same RAM), same SSD's (got 2 Kingston 1Tb SSDs at the same time) and same NIC. These were specced the same by the business (bought 8 at the same time - all the same spec). :confused:

EDIT: Will run a live session on the Win10 machine and post results.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭gar

I think what is being got at is the NIC or motherboard might be having issues

Have run a live session (Linux mint) on the 'Windows' machine and the results are the same.

Running speed tests (wired) in Win10 280/300Mbps, Mint 700/800.

So, same HW and same results.

Also noticed the Fast.com is reading slower speeds than Ookla

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,878 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I've had Eir 1000 for the past 6 weeks or so and speedtests normally are between 600 and 750 and rarely go above 800, however after reading the past few posts I decided to download the speedtest.net windows 10 app and now i'm seeing full speed downloads of 946 regularly, so something must be up with using speedtest websites through a browser.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

Gonzo wrote: »
    I've had Eir 1000 for the past 6 weeks or so and speedtests normally are between 600 and 750 and rarely go above 800, however after reading the past few posts I decided to download the speedtest.net windows 10 app and now i'm seeing full speed downloads of 946 regularly, so something must be up with using speedtest websites through a browser.
    Yes. My installer warned me about that.

Have run a live session (Linux mint) on the 'Windows' machine and the results are the same.

Running speed tests (wired) in Win10 280/300Mbps, Mint 700/800.

So, same HW and same results.

Also noticed the Fast.com is reading slower speeds than Ookla

So it is a Windows problem as the hardware and the connection is the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,045 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Most likely an issue with the W10 driver to the SSD, the drive can't write fast enough.

CoBo55 wrote: »
    Most likely an issue with the W10 driver to the SSD, the drive can't write fast enough.

What is written to SSD during a speedtest?

• Advertisement

Appears so. However, have just run 9 speed tests on Win10 (wired) and all (via Ookla app) are above 850Mbps.

might have a look at running tests at different times of the day to see what the results are. Didn't think SIRO would be affected by contention :confused:

CoBo55 wrote: »

Wouldn't make sense, moreso now that the tests I have run (in the last hour) are returning 850+Mbps

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭ipodrocker

Ive had Vodafone SIRO a few weeks now and happy with it vs Virgia Media getting great WIFI and wired speeds with the supplied router, but as I move to upstairs wifi speeds drops so will need look how to boost it upstairs getting 100mb upstairs, would like to see if can boost it further.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Bulmers

ipodrocker wrote: »
    Ive had Vodafone SIRO a few weeks now and happy with it vs Virgia Media getting great WIFI and wired speeds with the supplied router, but as I move to upstairs wifi speeds drops so will need look how to boost it upstairs getting 100mb upstairs, would like to see if can boost it further.

am thinking of moving from VM to Voda SIRO also - was the VM signal upstairs stronger than what the Voda one is now?

i'm getting around 60mbps on 2.4G and ~170mbps on 5Ghz upstairs on wifi.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Darren 83

Has anyone who has Sky Siro gone over there limit and been warned about it, in the contract if you go over three times they cut you off?

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭TheQuietBeatle

I've started working at home in recent months and wondering if I rang Vodafone if they would add additional cable to my office, has anyone requested this in the past?

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭atlantean

I’ve lost my internet — but all the lights are on on the modem.

When I log into the modem everything looks normal but on running a diagnostic I’m seeing that the Data IP connection is disconnected!

I rang Vodafone and they went through things with me but were equally confused!

My phone is working.

One odd thing I did notice at first was that when I arrived home my iPhone couldn’t connect to the modem because it was looking for a password.

My next door neighbour is on the same service and setup and their internet is working fine!

Has anyone experienced anything like this? If so what was the solution?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Davexirl

I have a semi detached house and my meter box is on the side of the house, are they able to install the internal siro box in my sitting room? Or does it have to be installed around where the meter box is?

Thanks

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,120 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Davexirl wrote: »
    I have a semi detached house and my meter box is on the side of the house, are they able to install the internal siro box in my sitting room? Or does it have to be installed around where the meter box is?

Thanks
    That's exactly what they did in a neighbour's house. Though it's going around from the outside and then in.

For me, they weren't even able to bring it a bit further from the meter box to a room at the back of the house (on same wall), as the fibre fished through and available was too short for that.

At work, the installer wanted to bring it straight down the wall and in beside the front window, which wasn't an option. So we, ourselves, had the fibre fished through the upstairs and brought down to where the networking is, and Actavo returned to set it up. Luckily there was a good length of fibre rolled up to go where it needed to go.

Perhaps it's something that might need to be asked ahead of install, so that enough fibre cable is available to reach where you want it to go. It probably still will be brought in along the outside wall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

I had a quick look through the thread and I cant find it, if it has been asked before sorry.
    Im looking at these installs and wondering. There are 2 parts to the "inside home" termination. This is the fibre conversion wall unit and then the modem itself (this of course depends on the end provider). If you have a router/firewall with an SFP, would they be open to just delivering the fibre into the home, no install of the "media conversion" part?

Advertisement