Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SIRO - ESB/Vodafone Fibre To The Home

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,045 ✭✭✭CoBo55

I had a quick look through the thread and I cant find it, if it has been asked before sorry.
    Im looking at these installs and wondering. There are 2 parts to the "inside home" termination. This is the fibre conversion wall unit and then the modem itself (this of course depends on the end provider). If you have a router/firewall with an SFP, would they be open to just delivering the fibre into the home, no install of the "media conversion" part?

You let the install go ahead normally where you end up with the fibre conversion unit (modem) as you put it and your providers router. You can then just remove their router and put in your own. Make sure your router supports vlan tagging or it won't connect.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,801 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

If you have a router/firewall with an SFP, would they be open to just delivering the fibre into the home, no install of the "media conversion" part?

No. That's called a "wires-only" installation, and it's not currently allowed under the regulations. It may be in the future, but even then it's envisaged that the retail ISP will provide the ONT or a modem with an integrated PON optic.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

oscarBravo wrote: »
    No. That's called a "wires-only" installation, and it's not currently allowed under the regulations. It may be in the future, but even then it's envisaged that the retail ISP will provide the ONT or a modem with an integrated PON optic.

Under comregs regs or under the SIRO tech manual?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

Thats a pity, but I suppose at least at that point it would be a direct "wires-only" install into the modem. You could just swap out the modem and therefore the PON optic? which is a SFP+ form factor, right?

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,801 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

ED E wrote: »
    Under comregs regs or under the SIRO tech manual?
    Ah! Sorry, I thought I was in an eircom thread. It's still not something that SIRO will do.
    Thats a pity, but I suppose at least at that point it would be a direct "wires-only" install into the modem. You could just swap out the modem and therefore the PON optic? which is a SFP+ form factor, right?
    I don't think SIRO have any plans to ever do a wires-only product. I haven't seen any PON SFPs - I'm sure they exist - but it's moot anyway. The ONT is part of SIRO's network, so it needs to stay there.

• Advertisement

I don't think SIRO have any plans to ever do a wires-only product. I haven't seen any PON SFPs - I'm sure they exist - but it's moot anyway. The ONT is part of SIRO's network, so it needs to stay there.

Seems Ubi have one. €80 aint terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭ipodrocker

ED E wrote: »
    Seems Ubi have one. €80 aint terrible.

UBi ?

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭z0oT

I saw the 1st signs of activity in our estate (we moved into a new build just last week) this morning as regards FTTH - Two TLI Group Vans with the SIRO logo were doing some work just outside our house.

From talking to one of the guys - They were just laying ducting, the actual fibre will come later. They had a roll of green ducting which they pulled through to connect the two manhole covers on opposite sides of the square that will presumably house the distribution points.

What are the actual steps before one can order?
    • Install the Ducting
    • Blow the Fibre in
    • Install the Distribution Points
    Am I missing anything?

The timeline from now to placing an order is the million dollar question I'd like to get an answer to. I know it's impossible to call, but what has been typical in the past?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭shanec1928

ipodrocker wrote: »
    UBi ?
    ubiquiti

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

Do Siro have a rollout plan? Is their aim only to provide cities or will they move out to smaller towns/ rural one off houses etc?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,878 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

joe123 wrote: »
    Do Siro have a rollout plan? Is their aim only to provide cities or will they move out to smaller towns/ rural one off houses etc?

They concentrate mainly on built up areas like housing estates, they rarely venture into rural areas beyond an urban boundary.

joe123 wrote: »

Unlikely theyll ever bother. Rural networks are a total money pit.

Two Questions:

1) What is the type of Fibre cable the installers use for a new install?

2) I am looking to move my ONT to the attic, will Actavo do this?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,045 ✭✭✭CoBo55

z0oT wrote: »
    I saw the 1st signs of activity in our estate (we moved into a new build just last week) this morning as regards FTTH - Two TLI Group Vans with the SIRO logo were doing some work just outside our house.

From talking to one of the guys - They were just laying ducting, the actual fibre will come later. They had a roll of green ducting which they pulled through to connect the two manhole covers on opposite sides of the square that will presumably house the distribution points.

What are the actual steps before one can order?
    • Install the Ducting
    • Blow the Fibre in
    • Install the Distribution Points
    Am I missing anything?

The timeline from now to placing an order is the million dollar question I'd like to get an answer to. I know it's impossible to call, but what has been typical in the past?

Don't hold your breath they've been scuttering around here for the last year and a half still no sign of it going live.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭z0oT

z0oT wrote: »
    There were more guys in from TLI yesterday in our estate for pretty much the whole day. From talking to them in the early morning, they were hoping to finish all work entirely yesterday.

They were saying that the cables have been laid and the distribution points are gone in. I got a look in one of the open manhole covers and sure enough I saw the distribution points along with all the fibre there. One of them mentioned to me that the plan was to return today to do some final testing before being 100% finished, and if they didn't get to that we could expect to be waiting another month with their schedule given they had other estates to get to from today on.

I haven't seen any activity yet today, but it's refreshing that there was a huge amount of work done on it yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

Is there a wait for geting Siro? Dont seem to be a number for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,739 ✭✭✭✭banie01

zweton wrote: »

SIRO don't provide consumer service.
    They provide the network that is then re-sold to consumers via Telco operators.
    You check if you are in a SIRO enabled area via the eircode checker and then order via a provider.

Vodafone, Sky, Digiweb, Airwire and plenty of others all listed as SIRO partners/resellers.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭20/20

My father ordered Siro through Vodafone back in April and is still waiting. He is in Howth North Dublin and in his 80s so has lots of time on his hands to make regular phone calls to them to complain. Vodafone claim they cant understand why its not done yet and say next week, next week. He is already a Vodafone customer and they have given one month free as compo, also about four weeks ago some guys came out and put a hook on his wall for the cable and still no sign of Siro.

I on the other hand ordered Vodafone Siro in July at around 5pm on a Thursday. Next day Friday guys were at my house in Raheny at 12 noon fitting the cable.
    The engineer couldnt call on the Saturday for the final install because of a bad storm, but called Monday morning at 9. Iam amazed how quick the process was. I now have wifi average at 450mb or wired at 950mb. Which is more than enough for me. Eir had reduced my speed back in March and the average was 15mb.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭atlantean

You have to order the service through an internet provider. SIRO are the backbone that the likes of Vodafone whom I’m with use to deliver the internet to your house.

When an Eircode shows up on Siro as "Available" but on Sky, Airwire, Etc is says not, whats that normally mean?
    The ISPs havent updated their details?

• Advertisement
  • Company Representative Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Digiweb

When an Eircode shows up on Siro as "Available" but on Sky, Airwire, Etc is says not, whats that normally mean?

Possibly, or the ISP doesnt provide service in that particular Siro area. Each ISP needs to interconnect into Siro's network in each town (sometimes few towns are grouped together) so some ISP's dont cover all towns (they may not have their own network in the area to interconnect). Send us a PM if you'd like and we can check out the particular Eircode

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭flipflophead22

Is the Fritzbox the best box to get for Siro? I believe Digiweb provide them.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭flipflophead22

Anyone?

Anyone?

Of all the ISP supplied modem/routers the Fritzbox seems to be the best and get the best out of the connections being used. Is it the best box possible, probably not, is it the best ISP provided CPE, probably.

Interestingly I was querying this earlier as the location I'm loooking to move to according to Siro and now Digiweb (Thanks Digi Reps) has Siro in place. Low and behold today I was outside my current apartment and there are the lads from Siro/3rd party digging up and splicing fibre and a flyer in my letter box. I wonder how long it will take seeing as they seem to have the Fibre already into the apt block.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭franman

Two Questions:

1) What is the type of Fibre cable the installers use for a new install?

2) I am looking to move my ONT to the attic, will Actavo do this?

Wondering the same about installation. Current setup is virgin media cable into the attic with router and switch in the attic feeding CAT 6 cabling in all rooms.

My mains box is in a porch so is it possible they wil feed cable from mains box to the attic on the outside of the house and install the router in the attic for me?

Stupid question but does it even have to go to the mains box? The virgin media setup is perfect for me with everything in the attic. Dont want to be messing around too much with drilling into the porch.

franman wrote: »
    Wondering the same about installation. Current setup is virgin media cable into the attic with router and switch in the attic feeding CAT 6 cabling in all rooms.

My mains box is in a porch so is it possible they wil feed cable from mains box to the attic on the outside of the house and install the router in the attic for me?

Stupid question but does it even have to go to the mains box? The virgin media setup is perfect for me with everything in the attic. Dont want to be messing around too much with drilling into the porch.

For my install the fibre feed comes in underground via a duct into the mains box and the install then drilled into my sitting room and installed the ONT there.

I wasnt thinking on my network setup and should got cabling in place so the ONT could of been added to the attic as the attic has power and is floored.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

For my install the fibre feed comes in underground via a duct into the mains box and the install then drilled into my sitting room and installed the ONT there.

I wasnt thinking on my network setup and should got cabling in place so the ONT could of been added to the attic as the attic has power and is floored.

Do you mean with the cable running from the ESB box right up to the external wall of the attic?

Do you mean with the cable running from the ESB box right up to the external wall of the attic?

yeah my neighbour has that setup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭jogdish

Hi,
    I am due to get SIRO via Vodafone in the coming weeks, My concern is that the ESB box is inside the house at the door, while the Landline - which is part of my package and I need it - is about 5m deeper into the house (down the hall).

I was told everything will go via the new SIRO box, is it possible to place the SIRO box further away from the ESB meter box?

Advertisement