Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SIRO - ESB/Vodafone Fibre To The Home

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭mcbert

jogdish wrote: »
    Hi,
    I am due to get SIRO via Vodafone in the coming weeks, My concern is that the ESB box is inside the house at the door, while the Landline - which is part of my package and I need it - is about 5m deeper into the house (down the hall).

I was told everything will go via the new SIRO box, is it possible to place the SIRO box further away from the ESB meter box?

Maybe just run a longer landline cable form the ESB box to wherever you need it 5m away...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭ipodrocker

Hi,
    I am due to get SIRO via Vodafone in the coming weeks, My concern is that the ESB box is inside the house at the door, while the Landline - which is part of my package and I need it - is about 5m deeper into the house (down the hall).

I was told everything will go via the new SIRO box, is it possible to place the SIRO box further away from the ESB meter box?

The install might vary, I live in a new build so there are ducts in the estate and duct comes into the ESB meter box and from there the fibre cable is then installed where I wanted, in my case in the sitting room to the ONT and router is connected to it.

Your install might be different, depends on how the outside cabling is done up to the outside of your house.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

Hi,

Your landline is irrelevant. The phone service comes via the fibre connection using VOIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,045 ✭✭✭CoBo55

It's getting very confusing with posters calling everything boxes, would be much easier if the three components used were called by their proper names, meter box, ont and router.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭dionsiseire

Has the PPPoE username and password for Vodafone changed?

I had a Nighthawk that I had logged in fine 2 years ago. It suddenly is failing. I put the old Vodafone Gigabox back in place and reset it and all came back to life. I had another Nighthawk sitting around so tried to swap it back in and login as before. No success.

I had used the details here
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin//showthread.php?t=2057924657&page=2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,498 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Do Vodafone do loyalty retention deals when your year is up

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭dionsiseire

TheDriver wrote: »

Yeah I renewed a few months ago at 40 a month and they rang me to secure it not the other way round.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Impetus

Is the Fritzbox the best box to get for Siro? I believe Digiweb provide them.

There was an item in Heise about them
    https://www.heise.de/security/meldung/Fritzbox-Luecke-erlaubt-delikate-Einblicke-ins-lokale-Netz-3764885.html

I also seem to recal reading that this company had an issue with SIP security (ie which in most cases means hackers making phone calls 'on your dime'.)

I can't find a URL for this story just now - so treat it as me having had a dream.

Two possible solutions to SIP/VoIP hacking are a) not to subscribe to phone service via this route or b) limit your risk in some way - eg buying X EUR of phone credit on a pay as you go basis or buy unlimited global calling for a flat monthly fee - so it won't matter much if a hacker uses your connection to make phone calls.

While the Germans are great at making tangible objects, they seem to have a problem with software (aside perhaps for SAP) and financial regulation (eg Wirecard AG fiasco).

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Stone

TheDriver wrote: »

They just offered me the same conditions as previous year (despite the currently price list quotes a higher price) plus an €10/month discount if I renewed for another 12 months ...
    I grabbed that offer as I would retain my 200mbit/s ul speed with SIRO that way ... and that counts big time for me (1gbit/s dl speed) :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭dam099

Yeah I renewed a few months ago at 40 a month and they rang me to secure it not the other way round.

They never rang me last year but I think it was because I had opted out of all marketing, opted back in to phone marketing this year so will see if they do this time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭clohamon

https://www.siliconrepublic.com/comms/esb-telecoms-siro-high-speed-ethernet
    As well as high-speed connectivity, the new product aims to allow telecom operators to transfer data from their customers’ premises back to a data centre offsite. This, they said, means the operators do not have to pay for additional infrastructure development or separate backhaul solutions.

Not clear if this really has anything to do with the NBP as suggested by Silicon Republic #KitchenSinkJournalism
    Last month it was reported that ESB could be asked by the Government to help speed up the deployment of the National Broadband Plan (NBP) by giving infrastructure access to National Broadband Ireland (NBI). This followed calls by the former Minister for Communications, Climate Action and Environment Richard Bruton, TD, to roll the plan out in five years instead of seven.
    Also
    https://twitter.com/SIROIreland/status/1307995224820649986
    also

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/technology/esb-telecoms-and-siro-roll-out-new-service-to-meet-broadband-demand-1.4360661

• Registered Users Posts: 16,739 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Am I correct in thinking that the rate of SIRO build updates has slowed somewhat?

I keep an assiduous eye on the Airwire tracker for any update to my own particular location.
    Thanks to Martin and the Airwire team for that tool btw!

The number of people who use it, must be completely at odds with their actual customer base ;)

Anyway, I note that the SIRO build database hasn't updated since the 30/7, and the OpenEIR build since the 25/08.

Hopefully the OE build will update over this week, but am I wrong in thinking that the SIRO build is an unusual update delay?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭jogdish

Waiting to get my SIRO but not sure it will work for me. I have a landline that I want to keep and two phones in the house. The 'main' landline is maybe reachable to where the SIRO cable comes in.

If I got a wireless phone twin pack, does the second wireless set need to plug into a 'phone line' or is it just the base station and that wireless talks the the satellites, i.e. the satellite just needs power?

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭cunnijo

Waiting to get my SIRO but not sure it will work for me. I have a landline that I want to keep and two phones in the house. The 'main' landline is maybe reachable to where the SIRO cable comes in.

If I got a wireless phone twin pack, does the second wireless set need to plug into a 'phone line' or is it just the base station and that wireless talks the the satellites, i.e. the satellite just needs power?

To answer your question a base station is where your phone line connects to. The 2 supplied phones are satellites which receive and send the signal through it. If you have a phone service as part of your SIRO package then the base station plugs into the supplied modem. Therefore you will no longer need an Eir line.

Also if your SIRO ISP is supplying a Fritzbox modem you can set up to 6 cordless phones using the modem's DECT feature.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 abberr7

Got a phone call to renew contract with Vodafone where rep said few lies. But anyway I have TV+broadband. TV is absolutely horrible so I said I definitelly want to cancel TV, but I can keep broadband. He said if I remove TV I need to sign up to another 12 months for broadband.

So I said to cancel broadband as well if thats the case.

THe deal I was offered for broadband was 55e/month, while new customers are 40euro (1Gig). I told him I'll switch to Sky and all I got was ''Sorry to hear that''.

Anyone know if I switch to sky while my broadband is still active with Vodafone, is there any loss of service? As I'm working from home and college is online too, this could be an issue, but might use mobile broadband in the mean time.

Edit - what I did last year was to cancel broadband with Vodafone and rejoin as a new customer for a better deal, but this resulted in about week without service, so hoping switching to Sky would be without loss of service

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Belfunk

Anyone have an idea how long it takes for Siro to usually go live in an area? They ran fibre along the electricity poles in my area back in January then came back in June and installed black boxes on the poles but nothing since.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Notmything

abberr7 wrote: »
    Got a phone call to renew contract with Vodafone where rep said few lies. But anyway I have TV+broadband. TV is absolutely horrible so I said I definitelly want to cancel TV, but I can keep broadband. He said if I remove TV I need to sign up to another 12 months for broadband.

So I said to cancel broadband as well if thats the case.

THe deal I was offered for broadband was 55e/month, while new customers are 40euro (1Gig). I told him I'll switch to Sky and all I got was ''Sorry to hear that''.

Anyone know if I switch to sky while my broadband is still active with Vodafone, is there any loss of service? As I'm working from home and college is online too, this could be an issue, but might use mobile broadband in the mean time.

Edit - what I did last year was to cancel broadband with Vodafone and rejoin as a new customer for a better deal, but this resulted in about week without service, so hoping switching to Sky would be without loss of service

I was able to renew SIRO with Vodafone for 40 a month. Had been paying 45 and it was due to go to 55. Same scenario as you they phoned me to renew at 55 but I declined. Went on twitter and got the 40 euro a month that way

• Registered Users Posts: 4 abberr7

Notmything wrote: »
    I was able to renew SIRO with Vodafone for 40 a month. Had been paying 45 and it was due to go to 55. Same scenario as you they phoned me to renew at 55 but I declined. Went on twitter and got the 40 euro a month that way

I don't really see a difference between 500mbps / 1000mbps .. both super fast, so will go with sky for 30/month

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Notmything

I don't really see a difference between 500mbps / 1000mbps .. both super fast, so will go with sky for 30/month

Hopefully they work out for ya.

Would anyone be able to answer the following:

What size is the SIRO 'box'

Also I want to connect my cordless phone to the SIRO box, is this just that thin phone cable that came with the phone or something else?

I plan on using my own ASUS router, will I have issues with where the phone connects ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭cunnijo

Also I want to connect my cordless phone to the SIRO box, is this just that thin phone cable that came with the phone or something else?

I plan on using my own ASUS router, will I have issues with where the phone connects ?

Hello. Which provider are you planning to go with?

cunnijo wrote: »
    Hello. Which provider are you planning to go with?
    Vodafone

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Stone

... just be aware of Sky's rather higher prices after the introductory price expires ;):rolleyes:

Using third party routers can be tricky when you have VoIP. Maybe using the VF supplied router in modem mode for VoIP, (it's the usual phone cable connection rj11) and let the Asus handle the internet traffic.

CoBo55 wrote: »
    Using third party routers can be tricky when you have VoIP. Maybe using the VF supplied router in modem mode for VoIP, (it's the usual phone cable connection rj11) and let the Asus handle the internet traffic.

So I can actually let the ASUS handle internet and the Vodafone thing the landline ?, should be ok. I have bridging mode currently, but was told that's moot for SIRO. ?

Are the installation guys, decent in terms of work quality and wearing masks?

So I can actually let the ASUS handle internet and the Vodafone thing the landline ?, should be ok. I have bridging mode currently, but was told that's moot for SIRO. ?

Are the installation guys, decent in terms of work quality and wearing masks?

Don't take my word for it on the VoIP as I'm with VM. The VoIP ports still work on the VM hub when it's in modem mode maybe the VF router is the same. I've heard varying stories on the standard of installation tbh, it's always a bit of a lucky dip.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,120 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

If, by SIRO box, you mean the small white box that is screwed to the wall, your phone won't connect to that. It connects to the phone socket in the supplied router.

I'd be curious to know if alternative routers (to the ones supplied by ISP) can be configured to work with the phone too.

EDIT: Nevermind, for whatever reason, the previous few comments weren't visible until I posted!
    Work have Vodafone, and their Gigabox was bridged to our own router/firewall, but VOIP would not work. When I rang Vodafone, one person said it could be made active whilst maintaining the bridge, but then many calls later, I was always told that it was not possible for security reasons and the first guy was wrong!

byte wrote: »
    EDIT: Nevermind, for whatever reason, the previous few comments weren't visible until I posted!
    Work have Vodafone, and their Gigabox was bridged to our own router/firewall, but VOIP would not work. When I rang Vodafone, one person said it could be made active whilst maintaining the bridge, but then many calls later, I was always told that it was not possible for security reasons and the first guy was wrong!

so it's not possible to have my own ASUS router and phone line working when I get SIRO with vodafone ?

byte wrote: »
    If, by SIRO box, you mean the small white box that is screwed to the wall, your phone won't connect to that. It connects to the phone socket in the supplied router.

I'd be curious to know if alternative routers (to the ones supplied by ISP) can be configured to work with the phone too.

Be much easier if posters used the correct names for the 3 main components, it gets very confusing when everything gets called "box"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭dam099

so it's not possible to have my own ASUS router and phone line working when I get SIRO with vodafone ?

As above I don't think bridge mode is possible but this is what I have

- Vodafone router running with all defaults except
    a) DHCP turned off
    b) Wifi turned off
    c) My own router is in the DMZ of the Vodafone router

- Synology router
    a) Manually configured the WAN with a fixed IP in the range of Vodafone router e.g. Vodafone's LAN IP is 192.168.5.1 so have the Synology's subnet as 192.168.10.1 for LAN but configured its WAN as 192.168.5.2
    b) DHCP, WiFi and Ethernet for all client devices handled by the Synology

Everything seems to work well enough set up that way (including port forwarding for one or two basic applications and VOIP plugged into the Vodafone tel port).

Advertisement