Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SIRO - ESB/Vodafone Fibre To The Home

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭atlantean

No the duct is the same duct the copper eir line comes in. This is the line that has been pulled out. This 1.5 inch duct come in at the front of the house where the phone box is and only had the copper phone cable coming through.

This duct has nothing to do with ESB. This house is older so there is no white termination box on the side of the house or anything.

If the ducting that they used has nothing to do with the ESB then how did they gain access to this ducting?

I’m no expert on this but SIRO has nothing to do with Eir. In my case my house is older so doesn’t have the modern ducting. Both electricity and phone lines are underground but my SIRO fibre cable had to come to my house via overhead lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭pg17

Geuze wrote: »
    I have SIRO with Vodafone, the plan is called Gigabit Broadband Experience 1000.

I have two questions:

(1) the initial discounts have dropped, so I now pay 55pm. I am thinking of switching, but I think there aren't many competitors, as it's FTTH. Is it just Airwire?

EDIT: I now see on the SIRO website that there are several re-sellers.

(2) the plan name refers to 1000, but when I do various speedtests I get about 200-300, using ethernet to computer. Is this normal?

In your speed tests the first variables are your computer, the network interface card in the computer and the type and quality of your ethernet cable. Any or all of these can limit your connection speed between the ISP's router and your computer. I think few people get close to 1gig on a single device. Don't expect the full speed with a poor cable, low spec network card or old or low spec computer.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Hi , is there anyway to find out roughly when SIRO will be available ? I’ve seen vans etc around the place putting it in (Athy) it says coming soon on the website. Thanks

Geuze wrote: »

(2) the plan name refers to 1000, but when I do various speedtests I get about 200-300, using ethernet to computer. Is this normal?

I get on average 940 Mbps down and 193 Mbps as you can see in the attachment which is what I get on my TV which is hard wired using Cat 6 cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭Nollog

Hi , is there anyway to find out roughly when SIRO will be available ? I’ve seen vans etc around the place putting it in (Athy) it says coming soon on the website. Thanks

It was 2 or 3 months from when I saw actavo ducting and putting up boxes on walls in my area.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Thanks a lot. They are doing it 1-2 months here from what I can see

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

Thanks a lot. They are doing it 1-2 months here from what I can see
    might be faster it it goes on the poles walls, in my area they ran it underground, was early sept month later stopped and around march that it went live, as remember speaking to guys and they were sure couple months but reality is can take up to 6mo, that said there was siro letter recently with promise to connect extra 4000 or smth like that by end of year, def worth to sub on siro webpage to get news once it goes live.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,497 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

My installation couldn't go ahead due to a blocked duct under the meter box. Apparently the duct has a right angle. Whats the usual timeframe for the crew to tackle that? The installer seemed to suggest a day or two only?

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭20/20

My father has been waiting since March for Vodafone Siro to be installed in Howth North Dublin as thats when his ordinary broadband went down to less than 3Mb. There have been loads of promises made about when the install would take place but still noting. In August a hook was put on the house wall for the fibre and told the install would be soon. Still noting.
    So September he contacted ComReg which made Vodafone contact him and promise early October. That date then changed to end of October as only the ESB can climb the pole for the connection.
    Today which is End of October Vodafone have rang to say another month wait as planning is needed to get a connection to the pole as this has to be done by underground ducting. This is not ducting to the house. His next-door neighbour is about 500 yards away and does have siro, so I presume they mean ducting from his pole.
    Today after Vodafone called I took this snapshot with one of the CCTV cameras. You can clearly see the ESB wires at top of pole and the power line coming across to the house.
    Is the other cable with the curve and just above the light the broadband ??
    Can a connection be taken off that cable , and why the need for ducting ??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

20/20 wrote: »
    My father has been waiting since March for Vodafone Siro to be installed in Howth North Dublin as thats when his ordinary broadband went down to less than 3Mb. There have been loads of promises made about when the install would take place but still noting. In August a hook was put on the house wall for the fibre and told the install would be soon. Still noting.
    So September he contacted ComReg which made Vodafone contact him and promise early October. That date then changed to end of October as only the ESB can climb the pole for the connection.
    Today which is End of October Vodafone have rang to say another month wait as planning is needed to get a connection to the pole as this has to be done by underground ducting. This is not ducting to the house. His next-door neighbour is about 500 yards away and does have siro, so I presume they mean ducting from his pole.
    Today after Vodafone called I took this snapshot with one of the CCTV cameras. You can clearly see the ESB wires at top of pole and the power line coming across to the house.

That pole is very similar to the one that my house spurs off (three houses daisy chain off it) - none of us are in the Siro DB as having it available even...

• Advertisement

20/20 wrote: »

It should be noted here that where I live there’s 41 houses in a U shape! Only around half the houses have SIRO. This apparently is because in our case the fibre cable is overhead and is daisy chained along the houses but someone objected to the cable running across the front of their house so SIRO stops there!

So within one small housing estate only have have SIRO — it’s been like that for over a year now.

• Company Representative Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Digiweb

Quite a lot of premises in Athy have just been released for order, send us a PM if you'd like with your eircode and we'll check if yours is included

TheDriver wrote: »
    My installation couldn't go ahead due to a blocked duct under the meter box. Apparently the duct has a right angle. Whats the usual timeframe for the crew to tackle that? The installer seemed to suggest a day or two only?

Once blockage is on private property which yours is then they are turning the blockage clearances round in less than a week at the moment. Once the Civils team clear the blockage its then passed back for a new appointment to finish the install.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭alanc2003

Im currently with SKY 1GB SIRO and my contract is up. Vodafone have an offer of €30 per month, so signed up online. Didnt hear anyhing from them so rang them. Apparently i cannot switch from SKY to Vodafone as there is some technical issue with SIRO and switching providers. Surely this cant be right

alanc2003 wrote: »
    Im currently with SKY 1GB SIRO and my contract is up. Vodafone have an offer of €30 per month, so signed up online. Didnt hear anyhing from them so rang them. Apparently i cannot switch from SKY to Vodafone as there is some technical issue with SIRO and switching providers. Surely this cant be right

Must be a technical issue on Vodafone's side, we process these switches all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭positron

Vodafone is the worst crowd to deal with.

A while back I switched from Vodafone SIRO to Sky SIRO and Vodafone continued to bill me. It didn't resolve for ages, solicitors letters were sent out and I had to involve Comreg. Anyway, unlike all the other seamless broadband / utility switch overs, with SIRO at least, you have to call and cancel the previous provider it seems. Anyway, I am now trying to switch back to Vodafone (:rolleyes: mainly for price difference, Sky out of contract is 95 a month, where as Vodafone is 40, not sure how you got 30...). I rang Vodafone to switch and they are sending out the modem, and engineer callout scheduled for next week. Anyway, I guess they are saying it IS possible to switch from Sky SIRO to Vodafone SIRO, but we will have to wait and see how it plays out. Perhaps I should have gone to Digiweb.

• Moderators Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭LFCFan

I had the same going back from Digiweb to Vodafone to avail of a price drop but had no issue going from Vodafone to Digiweb before that. I've never known a company to have so many barriers to actually giving them your custom. Had issues trying to move to their mobile service lately too. Crazy stuff

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,801 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

positron wrote: »
    Anyway, unlike all the other seamless broadband / utility switch overs, with SIRO at least, you have to call and cancel the previous provider it seems.

No, you don't. It's impossible to switch providers on SIRO without providing your account number, and when the new provider takes over the account the old provider gets a loss notification.

Whether they act on that notification is another story...

You'd think SIRO would have a very clear charter for switching.
    I'm curious positron, why is an engineer callout needed for a simple switch?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭positron

oscarBravo wrote: »
    No, you don't. It's impossible to switch providers on SIRO without providing your account number, and when the new provider takes over the account the old provider gets a loss notification.

Whether they act on that notification is another story...

Yeah that's probably where things went wrong and despite sky providing the confirmation that they have successfully taken over the line etc, they (Vodafone) were incredibly difficult to deal with and to get them to close my account.

I don't know either. I asked the same and the guy was as helpful as ever (that is, not at all) saying it's all part of the package and no extra cost etc. Then I got an email saying modem has been posted and a tracking link to anpost, but no tracking id / number. I wouldn't be surprised if this is another Vodafone f*ckup. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,801 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

They do. On SIRO's system the new operator provides the premises ID and the account number, and that's all she wrote.

Shouldn't be.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭20/20

schmoo2k wrote: »
    That pole is very similar to the one that my house spurs off (three houses daisy chain off it) - none of us are in the Siro DB as having it available even...

Forgive my ignorance, Siro DB. What does DB stand for ?
    According to his postcode Siro has been available to him for about a year now.
    For some very strange reason his garage also has a postcode (different code to the house no idea why ) And Siro is not available to the garage. Also I did try other providers about Siro and they cant do anything because Vodafone have the postcode since March with some sort of claim that work is in progress.

Would Siro spur off to the house from a cable like that ?

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭theShire

Just got an email saying Siro is available to me now.
    Which provider supplies a decent modem/router which I can use in bridge mode?
    What router is supplied by Pure and are there any additional installation charges?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

theShire wrote: »
    Just got an email saying Siro is available to me now.
    Which provider supplies a decent modem/router which I can use in bridge mode?
    What router is supplied by Pure and are there any additional installation charges?
    depends if its underground or overhead, some companies like VF have a claim that there might be extra cost, guess if they need to carry out extra work from poles etc maybe ?

other companies have flat fee setup rate.
    digiweb seem to offer best router from reading a while here, then again if your already aiming for bridge mode, dont think it really matters what router you get.

scamalert wrote: »
    depends if its underground or overhead, some companies like VF have a claim that there might be extra cost, guess if they need to carry out extra work from poles etc maybe ?

other companies have flat fee setup rate.
    digiweb seem to offer best router from reading a while here, then again if your already aiming for bridge mode, dont think it really matters what router you get.

Look up siro.ie and you'll see all the suppliers. I think all the vendors provide decent fritzbox or equiv modems whereas sky and VF do their own.
    It seems like you should go for a smaller company for first install as you can get someone on phone to deal with it

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭RonnieL

SIRO is available in my housing estate, and I'm currently out of contract with vodafone. The fiber cabinet is only around the corner from my house, and our internet is generally decent, but since we moved in 5 years ago we've had many periods of glitchy service, on several different providers (vodafone, eir, sky). Since I'm working from home the whole time now, I'm thinking it might be worth switching to SIRO, but I've got some questions that hopefully the followers of this thread will have the answers to:

- Is a Siro connection likely to be less glitchy?
    - Are there any major differences between suppliers, or are they all just selling the same service with different modems?
    - The best current deal seems to be with pure telecom - decent?
    - What work needs to be done to complete the connection, and is it messy?

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭theShire

Just got a flyer in my door for VF Siro for €20 a month instead of the usual €30, 12 month contract, says offer is only available from local store or via a specific phone number.

Was just about to sign up with Pure for the €35/month but VF is very tempting at that price!

That's a great price. Move after 12 months, seems like the best bet is to move (apparently with ease) annually.

RonnieL wrote: »
    SIRO is available in my housing estate, and I'm currently out of contract with vodafone. The fiber cabinet is only around the corner from my house, and our internet is generally decent, but since we moved in 5 years ago we've had many periods of glitchy service, on several different providers (vodafone, eir, sky). Since I'm working from home the whole time now, I'm thinking it might be worth switching to SIRO, but I've got some questions that hopefully the followers of this thread will have the answers to:

- Is a Siro connection likely to be less glitchy?
    - Are there any major differences between suppliers, or are they all just selling the same service with different modems?
    - The best current deal seems to be with pure telecom - decent?
    - What work needs to be done to complete the connection, and is it messy?

As with all Comms, no connection should be glitchy.
    All same except modems. The smaller resellers seem to have better modems.
    Pure does have best price but I had to wait over 3 weeks for an install date even though they told me a week and half when ordering. I'm now waiting on civil crew to dig to the pipe so I'm 4 weeks since ordering and no connection yet. I'm a regular estate customer.
    Re installation, watch video on SIRO website

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭RonnieL

As with all Comms, no connection should be glitchy.
    All same except modems. The smaller resellers seem to have better modems.
    Pure does have best price but I had to wait over 3 weeks for an install date even though they told me a week and half when ordering. I'm now waiting on civil crew to dig to the pipe so I'm 4 weeks since ordering and no connection yet. I'm a regular estate customer.
    Re installation, watch video on SIRO website

Thanks for the reply. I had assumed since I am in an estate where they have done the work to make it available that there would be no digging required. I take it from your reply that isn't a safe assumption?! If it turns out digging is required, do you get an opportunity to change your mind without having to pay a fee?

Advertisement