Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SIRO - ESB/Vodafone Fibre To The Home

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,482 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

RonnieL wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply. I had assumed since I am in an estate where they have done the work to make it available that there would be no digging required. I take it from your reply that isn't a safe assumption?! If it turns out digging is required, do you get an opportunity to change your mind without having to pay a fee?

I expect them to pull up a few cobble bricks to access a bend in pipe under the meter box so I don't expect to see much difference afterwards.
    However if it was concrete or tarmac, they'd have the kango out.
    I had to sign a sheet to give consent and 14 day cool period is from installation.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭theShire

theShire wrote: »
    Just got a flyer in my door for VF Siro for €20 a month instead of the usual €30, 12 month contract, says offer is only available from local store or via a specific phone number.

Was just about to sign up with Pure for the €35/month but VF is very tempting at that price!

Signed up this morning, 12 month contract then it goes to 60/month so I'll move provider then.

Already got a txt about installation next Monday morning but as the overhead cable needs to be strung from the pole across the street I'll take that with a pinch of salt...

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭RonnieL

TheDriver wrote: »
    I expect them to pull up a few cobble bricks to access a bend in pipe under the meter box so I don't expect to see much difference afterwards.
    However if it was concrete or tarmac, they'd have the kango out.
    I had to sign a sheet to give consent and 14 day cool period is from installation.

So am I right in saying the kango'ing is likely to be confined to the area around where the ESB meter is, as opposed to them digging a trench back to the footpath for example?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭snowgal

theShire wrote: »
    Signed up this morning, 12 month contract then it goes to 60/month so I'll move provider then.

Already got a txt about installation next Monday morning but as the overhead cable needs to be strung from the pole across the street I'll take that with a pinch of salt...

hope you get it sorted soon. We are STILL waiting after 6 weeks. ESB are due this week but then we've heard that 4 times already.....really missing broadband, and 2 of us working from home! :rolleyes:

RonnieL wrote: »
    So am I right in saying the kango'ing is likely to be confined to the area around where the ESB meter is, as opposed to them digging a trench back to the footpath for example?

I assume they know where the bend/problem is and only dig to that spot to feed the wire through to the meter box.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭theShire

snowgal wrote: »
    hope you get it sorted soon. We are STILL waiting after 6 weeks. ESB are due this week but then we've heard that 4 times already.....really missing broadband, and 2 of us working from home! :rolleyes:

Have been using a 4G router with GoMo SIM in a rented house since early this year so that'll keep us going for the time being.

The 80GB limit is a balls as the kids usually eat through the data in the first 10days of the month, it's still usable after that though and I've been able to work from home a few days a week using it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

I had an appointment to get it installed tomorrow, router and all arrived via Digiweb on here and i just got a call saying its now cancelled until the 16th !! That date is further away than when i ordered it here the other day, im pretty disappointed to get a call the evening before. I would have been fine had it not been pushed back so far, but 2 weeks..

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭cunnijo

I had an appointment to get it installed tomorrow, router and all arrived via Digiweb on here and i just got a call saying its now cancelled until the 16th !! That date is further away than when i ordered it here the other day, im pretty disappointed to get a call the evening before because "someone called in sick , its a 2 man job and only 1 engineer is available". I would have been fine had it not been pushed back so far, but 2 weeks..

Firstly if the fiber cable is in your meter box then there is only need for 1 engineer to do the install. Also have you contacted Digiweb to inform them of this (cancellation call)?. They may be able to follow up and get the installation done sooner. Worth a try.

I ordered it via the Digiweb representative on here, ive sent him a PM now. Ive no idea if the fibre is in the box though, they where doing something a while back but it might have been ESB Smart meter im not sure.

I ordered it via the Digiweb representative on here, ive sent him a PM now. Ive no idea if the fibre is in the box though, they where doing something a while back but it might have been ESB Smart meter im not sure.

You'd see a loop of black cable stuck in there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,993 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Open the door and have a gander...

I’ll have a look at it tomorrow. Cheers

I’ll have a look at it tomorrow. Cheers

Let us know if anything lurks within...

Just got another call there, someone else cancelled on Monday apparently so now im getting it Monday now. Yay!

Theres two guys outside now running wire from the path outside to the box on the side of the house. The lad said he just does the outside but someone else will do the inside, i guess thats on Monday.

Edit : and they are gone, took 5 minutes all done, brilliant. just have to wait for another guy to install it now

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

Slightly delayed this month, but we have updated the database on our availability checker today.

South Dublin - 176 new premises
    Ennis - 18 new premises
    Galway - 1523 new premises
    Portlaoise - 21 new premises

On SIRO, we currently cover Athlone, Clarecastle, Ennis, Galway, Limerick, Oranmore, Portlaoise, Shannon, Sixmilebridge, Sligo and South Dublin.

The availability checker can be found here: https://www.airwire.ie/avail

• Registered Users Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭positron

positron wrote: »
    Yeah that's probably where things went wrong and despite sky providing the confirmation that they have successfully taken over the line etc, they (Vodafone) were incredibly difficult to deal with and to get them to close my account.

I don't know either. I asked the same and the guy was as helpful as ever (that is, not at all) saying it's all part of the package and no extra cost etc. Then I got an email saying modem has been posted and a tracking link to anpost, but no tracking id / number. I wouldn't be surprised if this is another Vodafone f*ckup. :rolleyes:

Just as an update on this then, Vodafone arranged SIRO (actavo) guys came fully equipped, toolbox and everything, to do the whole work. There were delighted when I told them all they need to do is change the modem. Vodafone modem in, everything looks good so far. It has one more lan port than the Sky one, which is great. Fingers crossed everything goes well.

PS: And when I contacted Sky to cancel, they confirmed that they have already cancelled the account as Vodafone has taken over the UAN (a UAN transfer). This is all looking good, touchwood. Exact opposite of the experience of switching from Vodafone to Sky two years ago,

positron wrote: »
    Just as an update on this then, Vodafone arranged SIRO (actavo) guys came fully equipped, toolbox and everything, to do the whole work. There were delighted when I told them all they need to do is change the modem. Vodafone modem in, everything looks good so far. It has one more lan port than the Sky one, which is great. Fingers crossed everything goes well.

PS: And when I contacted Sky to cancel, they confirmed that they have already cancelled the account as Vodafone has taken over the UAN (a UAN transfer). This is all looking good, touchwood. Exact opposite of the experience of switching from Vodafone to Sky two years ago,

Sounds like a dreadful waste of actavo's time.

The civil lads did my place today. I've never seen this before (reg estate house, meter box on gable, red pipe in cavity). The brought it in in a plastic tube and it comes up from path independent of meter box.

What sort of download speed should I expect if I do a Speedtest with 1gb siro ? because it doesnt seem quicker to me, 90mb download a second? with a LAN cable in the laptop

• Advertisement

What sort of download speed should I expect if I do a Speedtest with 1gb siro ? because it doesnt seem quicker to me, 90mb download a second? with a LAN cable in the laptop

With Digiweb SIRO on a LAN cable connection you should get 942mbps down and 95mbps up approx. Also your ping should be low (4-6) Try Blacknight from Carlow as your test server.

The network cable should also be CAT5e at least with CAT6 recommended.

I am presuming the LAN port on the laptop is a 10/100/1000 one? If it is the you should be getting the speeds mentioned above.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭paulboland

You need a gigabyte lan card 10/100/1000 on laptop to get over 100mb
    Some laptops it's not uncommon to only have fast enternet lan card 10/100
    90mb is about average speed you would only get with a lan card 10/100

If laptop has a gigabyte lan card you need to make sure enternet cable is at minimum Cat5e or better if Cat 6 or Cat 7

Note Cat5 and Cat5e are different cables
    Cat5 is limited to 100mb

If laptop only has lan card 10/100 you will never get over 100mb no matter what broadband speed package you are on

Your Wireless connection may give you better speeds if wireles card in laptop is n/ac

Yeh this is my laptop now, over wireless, should it be quicker ?

10388739637.png

Yeh this is my laptop now, over wireless, should it be quicker ?

10388739637.png

No. That is about right. You should get 942mbps down on a wired connection with that wifi speed.

ah cool must be the cable i was using then. Thats grand so thanks a lot.

Or you've only a 100/10 card in the laptop. My laptop was the opposite, it had a gigabit wired card but the crappy wireless card couldn't even see 5Ghz. An AliExpress 8 dollar special had me sorted:D. Being a Lenovo the mb would only take an exact type of card.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭paulboland

It might be the cable but do note wireless card and lan card in a laptop are different cards

You can have a laptop that has a lan card that is only fast ethernet 10/100 but still have a wireless card that is n/ac

You can check what lan card speed you have in your laptop
    If you using windows goto network and sharing center

Access type
    Ethernet click this

If lan card is Gigabit Ethernet 10/100/1000 is will list speed as 1.0Gpbs
    Make sure cable in use is Cat5e or Cat6/7
    Try a different cable if you have one
    44192d1485958584t-help-lan-gigabit-alwasy-detect-100mbps-1gigabits.png?

If lan card is Fast Ethernet 10/100 it will list speed as 100.0Mbps

link-speed.png

Got the siro email earlier, no joy I'm still not included. Think I'll threaten VM with cancellation and see can I get a deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭F34

paulboland wrote: »
    It might be the cable but do note wireless card and lan card in a laptop are different cards

You can have a laptop that has a lan card that is only fast ethernet 10/100 but still have a wireless card that is n/ac

You can check what lan card speed you have in your laptop
    If you using windows goto network and sharing center

Access type
    Ethernet click this

If lan card is Gigabit Ethernet 10/100/1000 is will list speed as 1.0Gpbs
    Make sure cable in use is Cat5e or Cat6/7
    Try a different cable if you have one
    44192d1485958584t-help-lan-gigabit-alwasy-detect-100mbps-1gigabits.png?

If lan card is Fast Ethernet 10/100 it will list speed as 100.0Mbps

link-speed.png

Just tested my own the laptop was set to 100 rather than 1Gb after changing I was at 984 down and 189 up with Digiweb

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Hi guys, hoping that you can help me with a bit of pickle. It's looking likely that I will only have a 40-70mpbs broadband option available from Eircom.

I had my hopes pinned on Siro as I know they are in the area. It turns out that the housing estate that surrounds my property is enable from Siro but my own property isn't.

Has anyone has any experience with engaging with Siro in order to add a property to their network? Or does anyone have contacts that have proven valuable?

Advertisement