Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SIRO - ESB/Vodafone Fibre To The Home

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭theShire

theShire wrote: »
    Signed up this morning, 12 month contract then it goes to 60/month so I'll move provider then.

Already got a txt about installation next Monday morning but as the overhead cable needs to be strung from the pole across the street I'll take that with a pinch of salt...

Follow up,
    Got a call on Friday saying survey needed first so Monday appointment was cancelled and guys from TLI were out today(Tuesday) to install bracket on gable-end of the house.
    Unfortunately they need ESB to string the cable from the pole to the house so have to wait until thats done for the actual fibre install.
    They said it could take up to 3 wks for ESB to come out, hopefully it'll be quicker than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,482 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Got my SIRO installed, very neat. Took about 5 weeks.
    Getting the 960 on a wired connection. Frtizbox seems to be poor for wifi which was disappointing, i tried it with numerous devices but couldn't get over 50Mb. CHanged to my deco M4 using the PPPOE settings and working great.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭cunnijo

TheDriver wrote: »
    Got my SIRO installed, very neat. Took about 5 weeks.
    Getting the 960 on a wired connection. Frtizbox seems to be poor for wifi which was disappointing, i tried it with numerous devices but couldn't get over 50Mb. CHanged to my deco M4 using the PPPOE settings and working great.

Mind me for asking who is your ISP and which Fritzbox modem did they provide? You also mention that you could get no higher than 50mbps over wifi, which on a 1gb connection is very poor.

Did you try to connect to the Fritzbox using both the 2.4 and 5ghz bands? If not it may be worth setting the Fritzbox to 5ghz and testing again. You should see a vast improvement. If not you may have a defective modem and get a replacement sent to you.

I also have a Fritzbox modem and I am getting between 375 and 445 on 5ghz over a wifi connection and around 942mbps wired. My ISP is Digiweb.

cunnijo wrote: »
    Mind me for asking who is your ISP and which Fritzbox modem did they provide? You also mention that you could get no higher than 50mbps over wifi, which on a 1gb connection is very poor.

Did you try to connect to the Fritzbox using both the 2.4 and 5ghz bands? If not it may be worth setting the Fritzbox to 5ghz and testing again. You should see a vast improvement. If not you may have a defective modem and get a replacement sent to you.

I also have a Fritzbox modem and I am getting between 375 and 445 on 5ghz over a wifi connection and around 942mbps wired. My ISP is Digiweb.

Its a 7530 on pure. I must admit I didn't meddle too much in the settings as I have my deco M4 mesh which can do it all directly so there's no advantage to using the fritzbox to be honest. I'll mess around with it over the weekend to see if there is an improvement.

As an update, I got the 7530 working well. It seemed to like 2.4 at first but all good now. Managing to get 300-500 on wifi depending on the device (bar slow old devices) and wired 960 max. The M4 directly on PPPoE can't do speeds that high even though specs say it can. I am finding I have the fritzbox as the router and the M4 as access points off the fritz and getting far better coverage and speeds as my fritz 5Ghz can't reach around the house. As expected siro connection is solid.
    On packages, I really don't see why any regular use household would want 1Gb to be honest. 500 package is far more than enough for a house unless price is the same. That's my advice.

Regarding the fritzbox, is it worth ditching my M4 and getting another fritzbox to act as a mesh repeater? I see amazon have a good few 7530 german ones in the warehouse for handy money, I assume people returned these as they aren't working for DSL due to german settings but surely they'd be fine as a mesh repeater?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭theShire

• Registered Users Posts: 25 lig

Live in Glen Ellan gardens , Swords. Our row of houses are forced to connect to ADSL. Cable wasn't installed by the builder.We really have no choice for the past 20 years.

SIRO was big in my estate.They laid the fibre optic cale.Haven't really rolled out. Checking by Eircode only says SIRO is not in the estate yet, although I have been talking to technicians who come regularly to check thier equipment/speeds at their junction box.

Seems counter-intuitive to have the cable but not roll out to the estate.Any one has any info on when we might get it?

TIA
    Lig

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

lig wrote: »
    Live in Glen Ellan gardens , Swords. Our row of houses are forced to connect to ADSL. Cable wasn't installed by the builder.We really have no choice for the past 20 years.

SIRO was big in my estate.They laid the fibre optic cale.Haven't really rolled out. Checking by Eircode only says SIRO is not in the estate yet, although I have been talking to technicians who come regularly to check thier equipment/speeds at their junction box.

Seems counter-intuitive to have the cable but not roll out to the estate.Any one has any info on when we might get it?

TIA
    Lig

Family member lives in Glen Ellen and they have SIRO with Sky

• Company Representative Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Digiweb

TIA
    Lig

Siro available to over 180 addresses in Glen Ellan, perhaps a section was missed or not servicable. Drop us a PM with your Eircode if you'd like and we can check it out for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭Sunny!!

Thinking of moving from eir FTTC to Vodafone siro but am worried about the installation.
    Is this a thing that is done in one day or are there different parts to the install done at different days?
    Any help thanks in advance.

• Advertisement

Sunny!! wrote: »
    Thinking of moving from eir FTTC to Vodafone siro but am worried about the installation.
    Is this a thing that is done in one day or are there different parts to the install done at different days?
    Any help thanks in advance.

Depends if your duct is blocked.
    Assuming you've a reg house with underground ducts
    a they come on a date, get wire through duct and install
    B they come on a date, find there's a blockage, civil crew comes another day (u don't need to be there) and install crew comes back to install

Depends if your duct is blocked.
    Assuming you've a reg house with underground ducts
    a they come on a date, get wire through duct and install
    B they come on a date, find there's a blockage, civil crew comes another day (u don't need to be there) and install crew comes back to install

Thanks for the reply.
    I'm really not 100% about ducts the house was built about 10 years ago thats all I really know.
    Do you know if they need to take up tiles what would that depend on?
    I have VM installed from years ago and it's a neat setup and I'm wondering would it be similar...

Sunny!! wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply.
    I'm really not 100% about ducts the house was built about 10 years ago thats all I really know.
    Do you know if they need to take up tiles what would that depend on?
    I have VM installed from years ago and it's a neat setup and I'm wondering would it be similar...

Watch video on SIRO website. Wire comes from meter box to a point on a wall. Box on outside and inside of wall at same point. that's it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭snowgal

Check and see before you move is my advice. We are now waiting 8 weeks, I’m absolutely raging but literally cannot get anyone to move it forward.... if I could go back to switching, I wouldn’t bother! 8 weeks of no broadband both working from home... (Obviously I’m just very annoyed at this stage so maybe don’t listen to me! :pac: )

snowgal wrote: »
    Check and see before you move is my advice. We are now waiting 8 weeks, I’m absolutely raging but literally cannot get anyone to move it forward.... if I could go back to switching, I wouldn’t bother! 8 weeks of no broadband both working from home... (Obviously I’m just very annoyed at this stage so maybe don’t listen to me! :pac: )
    Why are u with no broadband? Our VDSL stayed working until siro was installed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭snowgal

Why are u with no broadband? Our VDSL stayed working until siro was installed.

We moved house at end of September... with Vodafone and when we went change address etc this happened....

Watch video on SIRO website. Wire comes from meter box to a point on a wall. Box on outside and inside of wall at same point. that's it.

Thanks for that I'm probably just worrying about nothing that video seems very easy.
    I suppose if I'll go ahead with it and if there's any complication or delays I'll just cancel it. At least I'll have eir FTTC until its up and running.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭RonnieL

My meter box is located at the front corner of the house, in a room which has a cavity wall between it and the rest of the house. I'm wondering if the benefit of the fiber speeds will be offset by a poor wireless signal. Are there any good workarounds? I currently have vodafone dsl based broadband, and the main phone point is in the same position as the fiber is likely to come in, but the KN networks guy was able to position the router in the center of the house for me by attaching a small box to the main point. Is a similar approach possible with fiber (I'm guessing not!)?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

A mesh wireless network is probably the best solution (assuming you don't want to run cables). While not the definitive brand by any means, I think this video does a pretty good job and explaining the pros and cons of standard versus high end (take that with a pinch of salt) consumer gear:

https://youtu.be/_7J039zIa-c

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭dam099

RonnieL wrote: »
    I currently have vodafone dsl based broadband, and the main phone point is in the same position as the fiber is likely to come in, but the KN networks guy was able to position the router in the center of the house for me by attaching a small box to the main point. Is a similar approach possible with fiber (I'm guessing not!)?

Is it VDSL and recent?

When my parents got VDSL a number of years back the installer used CAT5e to wire an extension for the VDSL, it would have been terminated to RJ11 so presumably only using 1/2 pairs but if the same was done with yours then potentially the cable could be re-terminated with all the pairs and RJ45 for ethernet.

Then you could have the ONT in the entry point near the meter box but put the router in your existing router location. Whether KN would be willing to do that I'm not sure.

• Advertisement

dam099 wrote: »
    Is it VDSL and recent?

When my parents got VDSL a number of years back the installer used CAT5e to wire an extension for the VDSL, it would have been terminated to RJ11 so presumably only using 1/2 pairs but if the same was done with yours then potentially the cable could be re-terminated with all the pairs and RJ45 for ethernet.

Then you could have the ONT in the entry point near the meter box but put the router in your existing router location. Whether KN would be willing to do that I'm not sure.

Pretty sure it's vdsl. I've attached a picture of what the guy did to allow us to have the router attached to a different phone line.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭dam099

Pretty sure it's vdsl. I've attached a picture of what the guy did to allow us to have the router attached to a different phone line.

I presume the white box above is the master socket coming into the house and the beige one below is what goes to another socket somewhere where your router is?

You would need to see what kind of cable is behind that beige one to see if it could be reused.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭wild turkey

TIA
    Lig

I'm in Cianlea and would like to know as well, it's as if they've bypassed my estate .

dam099 wrote: »
    I presume the white box above is the master socket coming into the house and the beige one below is what goes to another socket somewhere where your router is?

You would need to see what kind of cable is behind that beige one to see if it could be reused.

Yeah that's right. Whatever wire is behind is just however the house was wired when it was built (in 2003). Anyway I think I'll see what the installer says. I just don't really have anywhere good for the router to live in that room, so I'll have to have a think. I'll keep an eye out for a deal on some mesh devices on black friday. Thanks for the help.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭kave2

Hi all, my contract is up with VM and looking to get new deal. Was on 9x30e + 3x60e for 250mbps.
    Vodafone Siro is 40e monthly for 12 months + free nest audio which is pretty good deal. Are those speed really 1Gbps or it's up to? My current VM is constantly 240mbps and very stable but if I get constant/stable speeds close enough to 1Gbps I dont mind going through the hassle of switching.
    What are the experiences with Siro Vodafone. Btw, I'm based in Roscam, Galway

I'll try to get some good deal out of VM first but if not I'll just switch to Siro.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

I have SIRO and get about 400-450mbs over wireless, think you need to be on cat6 cable to get close to 1gb

kave2 wrote: »
    Hi all, my contract is up with VM and looking to get new deal. Was on 9x30e + 3x60e for 250mbps.
    Vodafone Siro is 40e monthly for 12 months + free nest audio which is pretty good deal. Are those speed really 1Gbps or it's up to? My current VM is constantly 240mbps and very stable but if I get constant/stable speeds close enough to 1Gbps I dont mind going through the hassle of switching.
    What are the experiences with Siro Vodafone. Btw, I'm based in Roscam, Galway

I'll try to get some good deal out of VM first but if not I'll just switch to Siro.

Yes, you do get the advertised speeds once your setup is capable. To be honest, get the 500 and save the 10 a month with VF as you won't see or use the difference

I'm out of contract with vodafone, and I was on the phone to pure telecom yesterday but the sales guy didn't exactly fill with me with confidence about the transition from vodafone (DSL) to them. Two of us working from home so we really can't be without broadband. Any thoughts on the best provider to go with for a smooth transition in my case?

I'm out of contract with vodafone, and I was on the phone to pure telecom yesterday but the sales guy didn't exactly fill with me with confidence about the transition from vodafone (DSL) to them. Two of us working from home so we really can't be without broadband. Any thoughts on the best provider to go with for a smooth transition in my case?

I had VDSL with VF and got the €35 Gb SIRO with Pure. They took the UAN and would look after cancelling the VDSL. My installation took 5 weeks and VDSL never stopped during that time (as expected) and I chose to cancel VF on next day rather than wait on PURE as VF will prob keep billing me etc anyways.
    I have found PURE to be easy to ring, they ring you with updates, easy to understand and a good price. I would hope after 12 months that they're willing to deal on price rather than having to move suppliers.

• Advertisement

Got an appointment for Friday happy days. Actavo turned up today does anyone know is this normal what's their function?
    Sorry if it's a ridiculous question I just haven't a clue about SIRO.

Advertisement