Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SIRO - ESB/Vodafone Fibre To The Home

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

They ran the cable from outside my house\garden into the ESB box on the side of the house, they leave a long length of cable in the box for the other guys that come out to run to where the router etc will be inside.

for the appointment then a couple of lads came out on the appointment day, ran the cable from the ESB box across the house to where i wanted it. put a small grey box on the outside of the house, drilled into the house and put a white box on the inside wall (beside my tv).

1 guy had to come into the house to setup and test it was working etc with his laptop

• Registered Users Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Sunny!!

Does An Post deliver the equipment or does the engineer bring it?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,497 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Sunny!! wrote: »
    Does An Post deliver the equipment or does the engineer bring it?

DPD in my case

• Registered Users Posts: 7,649 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Looking to go with a siro provider as my broadband with sky is shockingly bad. I don't know if they are doing but over the last few weeks it has just got slower and slower. I have narrowed down siro to Digiweb or pure telecom but are about the same on price. Anyone with either of these two and how has the service been?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,497 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Floppybits wrote: »
    Looking to go with a siro provider as my broadband with sky is shockingly bad. I don't know if they are doing but over the last few weeks it has just got slower and slower. I have narrowed down siro to Digiweb or pure telecom but are about the same on price. Anyone with either of these two and how has the service been?
    Both seems great for CS. Pure is cheaper at 40 whereas digiweb works out at 45 over 12 months. Both give a fritzbox.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

TheDriver wrote: »
    DPD in my case

If it’s Vodafone, the installer will have the modem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭SachaJ

Anyone with Sky SIRO having intermittent drop outs?

I moved from Vodafone SIRO to Sky SIRO yesterday and ever since I've been having intermittent drop outs. Each one might only be for 30 seconds but as I'm RDP'd/Citrix into work, I lose connection and have to log back in each time. It's a pain in the hole.

Vodafone SIRO was rock solid.

I'm also using an Asus RT-AC68U router so wondering do I need to plug the Sky one in for a while before reinstalling the Asus.

Edit - started a new thread to discuss -> https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=115343654

• Registered Users Posts: 7,649 ✭✭✭Floppybits

SachaJ wrote: »
    Anyone with Sky SIRO having intermittent drop outs?

Am with sky for broadband and have the same issue. I will be moving to siro but it won't be with sky especially at the price they are charging.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭whosedaddy?

did anyone have any luck with getting discount from digiweb when renewing ??
    never had issues with them, but they are good bit dearer.
    wondering whether pure telecom is alternative (not going near sky or VF)

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭cunnijo

did anyone have any luck with getting discount from digiweb when renewing ??
    never had issues with them, but they are good bit dearer.
    wondering whether pure telecom is alternative (not going near sky or VF)

I have been with Digiweb for approx 15 years starting with their Metro wireless service (w/ phone) and upgrading to their Electric Broadband 1000 - anytime calls (SIRO). They will offer loyalty discounts but you must make contact with them. Contact customer care first before calling sales.

Just a point to note as of 1st July last if you switch provider your upload speeds will drop to 100Mbps from 200Mbps. This applies if on SIRO only. So it may be worth a call. Please send PM if you would like further detail.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 Yoga7

We live in a converted garage apartment next to a house (our landlord). We have had a lot of trouble getting Eir to do an install and when I called Pure today they offered us Siro. I hadn't heard of it before.

Just wondering does anyone know if we could get it installed even though our ESB connection comes from the main house? So we don't have our own connection. We just pay them for whatever electricity we use.
    Ideally we want to get a separate broadband connection and avoid involving them in this as much as possible.

Any advice would be much appreciated. The Pure sales guy said it was possible, but I'm sure they (like Eir) would say anything to get the sale.

Yoga7 wrote: »
    We live in a converted garage apartment next to a house (our landlord). We have had a lot of trouble getting Eir to do an install and when I called Pure today they offered us Siro. I hadn't heard of it before.

Just wondering does anyone know if we could get it installed even though our ESB connection comes from the main house? So we don't have our own connection. We just pay them for whatever electricity we use.
    Ideally we want to get a separate broadband connection and avoid involving them in this as much as possible.

Any advice would be much appreciated. The Pure sales guy said it was possible, but I'm sure they (like Eir) would say anything to get the sale.

It will depend on how close the converted garage is to the ESB box in the house. If your landlord is OK with you looking at the SIRO offering then it all depends on if the contractor can install or not. A field survey will confirm that after you place the order..

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭SchrodingersCat

Does anyone know how long does it typically take from when SIRO send you an email saying "Congratulations! SIRO will soon be available at your address" to it actually being available to buy? I got the email back in early May but the siro website and airwire still says its unavailable at the address.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Yoga7

cunnijo wrote: »
    It will depend on how close the converted garage is to the ESB box in the house. If your landlord is OK with you looking at the SIRO offering then it all depends on if the contractor can install or not. A field survey will confirm that after you place the order..

Thanks for the response.
    When you refer to the ESB box in their house, what exactly do you mean? We have our own meter box here. Could it not be connected via that?

The wait times for someone to come out are so long at the moment and given what we have just been through with Eir, I am reluctant to place the order for Siro without knowing whether it will be possible or not.

Yoga7 wrote: »
    Thanks for the response.
    When you refer to the ESB box in their house, what exactly do you mean? We have our own meter box here. Could it not be connected via that?

The wait times for someone to come out are so long at the moment and given what we have just been through with Eir, I am reluctant to place the order for Siro without knowing whether it will be possible or not.

If you have your own meter box then there should be no issue getting a SIRO connection, as the fibre is fed directly to it. When ordering with a SIRO provider you are subject to a site survey to confirm if you can be connected. This is done by the SIRO appointed contractor that covers your area. If all is OK then you should be up and running soon after.

Installed today its fantastic compared to FTTC!
    I'm getting 250mb wirelessly out of the 500mb would this be average?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

Installed today its fantastic compared to FTTC!
    I'm getting 250mb wirelessly out of the 500mb would this be average?
    id say well above average is it on phone or your laptop pc- workstation?, and how far away would be main factors.

im on 1gb and could sit on VF gigabox and wouldnt get much past 300-400mb at best.

anyone who knows a bit will tell you that its almost impossible to get anywhere close to speeds advertised over wifi, not going without wired anyway.

scamalert wrote: »
    id say well above average is it on phone or your laptop pc- workstation?, and how far away would be main factors.

im on 1gb and could sit on VF gigabox and wouldnt get much past 300-400mb at best.

anyone who knows a bit will tell you that its almost impossible to get anywhere close to speeds advertised over wifi, not going without wired anyway.

Thanks for that!
    Just checked with my laptop got 545mb wired.
    My phone can only take so much I suppose but around 250mb is bril:)

Looks like it's gone down on first night.
    Red light on wall? Does this happen much?

Looks like it's gone down on first night.
    Red light on wall? Does this happen much?
    who's your provider ? and when you mean wall is it siro box ? as been told first time when connected to expect few resets etc over 24hrs but didnt notice any personally, im with VF, but never had cuts since service install.

• Advertisement

who's your provider ? and when you mean wall is it siro box ? as been told first time when connected to expect few resets etc over 24hrs but didnt notice any personally, im with VF, but never had cuts since service install.

Vodafone. Gone two hrs and can't get through to tech disaster.
    SIRO box on wall Los.

Vodafone. Gone two hrs and can't get through to tech disaster.
    SIRO box on wall Los.
    that sounds like crap experience for the first day, not smth id be happy about either given its friday and most likely you wont get any tech support till next day if it doesnt come back up.

that sounds like crap experience for the first day, not smth id be happy about either given its friday and most likely you wont get any tech support till next day if it doesnt come back up.

Eir are a bad company but broadband didn't go down once in 5 years!

Problem now is getting an engineer out before cooling off period which is probably unlikely.

Eir are a bad company but broadband didn't go down once in 5 years!

Problem now is getting an engineer out before cooling off period which is probably unlikely.
    you do have 2 weeks once connected to cancel if im not mistaken, since cooldown period only starts when you are live. wasnt my first point of choice as only over a month with em, but already had a bill that looks a bit sketchy, charged twice in a same month even thou had to call and confrim just to get vague response, so hoping it evens out to what i signed up for.

As moved from VM and only good thing about them was 99.9% uptime and usually notified solved within hours if down, and spot on support, which seems rare nowadays.

Thanks for the reply.
    Got through eventually they said an engineer be out Monday I doubt it with Vodafone tbh if it was openeir coming within 2 days I'd believe it.
    Told that my cooling off period will be extended.
    I'll probably end up going to VM if it isn't sorted the infrastructure is here already only thing is there a little expensive.

Does anyone know how long does it typically take from when SIRO send you an email saying "Congratulations! SIRO will soon be available at your address" to it actually being available to buy? I got the email back in early May but the siro website and airwire still says its unavailable at the address.

Just to answer my own question:

I saw the TLI group vans out on my road working on the SIRO cables last week. These are the sub-contracted engineers that work for SIRO. After having a chat with them, they said that they would be handing over the infrastructure on the street to SIRO next month. I know from someone else who saw the TLI engineers in their estate that the broadband became available about 1-2 months after they left.

So it is looking like it will be Jan-Feb when SIRO will become available on my street. This would make it 9-10 months after I received the email that said "SIRO will be coming to your address soon". I am not complaining, I will be delighted to receive it. Just in case anyone else was wondering how long it can take.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,044 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Just to answer my own question:

I saw the TLI group vans out on my road working on the SIRO cables last week. These are the sub-contracted engineers that work for SIRO. After having a chat with them, they said that they would be handing over the infrastructure on the street to SIRO next month. I know from someone else who saw the TLI engineers in their estate that the broadband became available about 1-2 months after they left.

So it is looking like it will be Jan-Feb when SIRO will become available on my street. This would make it 9-10 months after I received the email that said "SIRO will be coming to your address soon". I am not complaining, I will be delighted to receive it. Just in case anyone else was wondering how long it can take.

Don't believe a word those guys tell you. I was told that in February, I've entered a new contract with VM I'm not waiting any longer..

CoBo55 wrote: »
    Don't believe a word those guys tell you. I was told that in February, I've entered a new contract with VM I'm not waiting any longer..

Cheers for the information. Have the SIRO optical fiber reels been up on your street for long?

5gA4Cpd.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,044 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Cheers for the information. Have the SIRO optical fiber reels been up on your street for long?

5gA4Cpd.jpg

Since before the first lockdown, my house is underground cabling but those reels are there since February on overhead systems. It was due to go live in March...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

Folks has anyone cancelled airwire? Not responding to emails and 4 working days have passed and no response to my original email or subsequent emails. Have asked for siro account number so that I can change provider (looking to get sky offer). Will try ringing but disappointed in this.

Advertisement