Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SIRO - ESB/Vodafone Fibre To The Home

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭SchrodingersCat

CoBo55 wrote: »
    Since before the first lockdown, my house is underground cabling but those reels are there since February on overhead systems. It was due to go live in March...

Thanks. They were up on my street around the same time. That's disappointing that they are taking so long :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,992 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Thanks. They were up on my street around the same time. That's disappointing that they are taking so long :(

Very bloody annoying. We've had three scheduled power outages for the stringing of fibre but nothing since. Why don't they just come to an area, get it done and move on to the next like VM do. VM did Enniscorthy, a total refit, brand new cable everywhere in about 5 weeks, that included ftth to premises that weren't on the original cable system. It was great to see them doing it they were so methodical.

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

Folks has anyone cancelled airwire? Not responding to emails and 4 working days have passed and no response to my original email or subsequent emails. Have asked for siro account number so that I can change provider (looking to get sky offer). Will try ringing but disappointed in this.

What email address are you sending this to ? We generally respond within hours. support (at) airwire (dot) ie for support queries and billing (at) airwire (dot) ie for billing queries, as per our website. Or you reach out and ring us: 091-395 000.

Also the UAN or SIRO account number is in your online account on the airwire website, if you have requested access for that. The same place you'll find your invoices.

• Company Representative Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Digiweb

Hi, we've updated our product checkers with additional Siro homes passed nationwide :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Hi, can anyone advise me here, im getting the below on a CAT6 cable, it should be better than this shouldn't it ? anything i can do to improve?

a2.jpg

here is my network status in control panel with the cable in

a1.jpg

Using this cable, i tried it a few times and its always in and around the same.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00KDC12GQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Ive the 1000mbps package

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭cunnijo

Hi, can anyone advise me here, im getting the below on a CAT6 cable, it should be better than this shouldn't it ? anything i can do to improve?

a2.jpg

here is my network status in control panel with the cable in

a1.jpg

Using this cable, i tried it a few times and its always in and around the same.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00KDC12GQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Ive the 1000mbps package

Thanks

Your results did not come across. When you run http://www.speedtest.net what speed is it showing?

cunnijo wrote: »
    Your results did not come across. When you run http://www.speedtest.net what speed is it showing?

Weird , it’s ping 9ms , down - 270mbps average. Up 101mbps.

I’m getting quicker down on wireless to be honest. Maybe it’s the cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,482 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

try a different cable. I use a crappy 50m cat5 cable (its a lovely flexi one) and get the 950Mb, 5ms ping even though the cable says 10/100 only

• Registered Users Posts: 14,008 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Are you using the same device for both wired and wireless tests?

Could it be something in the wired device that is limiting the speed?

Cable is brand new. Only bought it.

Same device , a dell laptop. Wireless disabled while I have it plugged in with the cable and run the test.

• Advertisement

Try the wire coming from the white box on wall. Plug the end out of the router and directly into your device. That'll see if your device is the issue

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭the_galway_fry

Siro were outside our house nearly a year ago now, everything fitted etc, still can't get siro though

TheDriver wrote: »
    Try the wire coming from the white box on wall. Plug the end out of the router and directly into your device. That'll see if your device is the issue

Hi , not sure what you mean here , if I do that I’ll have no internet connection to run Speedtest ?

I tried another cable getting the same speeds. Think it was cat5. I’ll try my wife’s laptop tomorrow see what that gets.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭Nollog

Hi , not sure what you mean here , if I do that I’ll have no internet connection to run Speedtest ?

I tried another cable getting the same speeds. Think it was cat5. I’ll try my wife’s laptop tomorrow see what that gets.

The ONT is all you need. Set up a connection in windows directly through it, I think they meant at least.

https://www.digitalcitizen.life/how-setup-and-use-pppoe-internet-connections-windows-10/

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

/\/ollog wrote: »
    The ONT is all you need. Set up a connection in windows directly through it, I think they meant at least.

https://www.digitalcitizen.life/how-setup-and-use-pppoe-internet-connections-windows-10/

Won't work, the PPPoE session needs to be tagged with VLAN 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭Nollog

Some cards support it, maybe all?
    I've seen it in mine

https://www.kenst.com/2010/11/set-vlan-id-on-a-network-adapter-in-windows-7/

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

We have updated the database on our availability checker today.

South Dublin - 655 new premises
    Galway - 1508 new premises
    Limerick - 81 new premises
    Portlaoise - 40 new premises

On SIRO, we currently cover Athlone, Clarecastle, Ennis, Galway, Limerick, Oranmore, Portlaoise, Shannon, Sixmilebridge, Sligo and South Dublin.

The availability checker can be found here: https://www.airwire.ie/avail

• Registered Users Posts: 16,677 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Cable is brand new. Only bought it.

Same device , a dell laptop. Wireless disabled while I have it plugged in with the cable and run the test.

Dell have a piece of software running on their systems that impacts speed tests.
    Malwarebytes smartbytes, disable or uninstall that and try again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,141 ✭✭✭shanec1928

banie01 wrote: »
    Dell have a piece of software running on their systems that impacts speed tests.
    Malwarebytes, disable or uninstall that and try again.
    smartbytes i believe its called as apposed to the a/v \ malware company:D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,677 ✭✭✭✭banie01

shanec1928 wrote: »
    smartbytes i believe its called as apposed to the a/v \ malware company:D

Thanks for that :)
    That's the one, only half remembered on my part ;)
    But have read about it often enough here to know it's an issue with Dell.

• Advertisement

Cheers , I’ll check the laptop but to be honest I’ve wiped it myself and reinstalled windows from scratch so it shouldn’t be on there. I don’t have a dell factory image on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Wing126

Got installed with Digiweb today, speeds are sub 100mbps (paying for the 1gpbs plan). Could it be because of the router they gave us? It's a Fritzbox 7560.

That’s the router I have.

That’s the router I have.

Hmm. Weird. The one we received looked like it was previously used (box is in tatters). I'll contact them tomorrow so, see if they can sort it out.

Mine had a blue plastic film on it I had to peel off on the router itself. Did yours have that ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 dapka

Hi,

We're currently with Vodafone, 1Gbps. Was getting around 900-950Mbps download and around 200 Mbps upload. Recently though they "lured" us into their TV offer (basically the same price but with a TV box included). We were told that there would be no changes to the broadband but I immediately saw that the upload had dropped to 100Mbps (from just over 200Mbps) which affects my working-from-home setup as I regularly have to sync large files up to the main office. We called and talked to a Vodafone representative to see if we could bump it up to the previous setting as we were promised no changes to the broadband service. But we were assured that I wouldn't notice any difference, that it is the download speed that is important. Safe to say I wasn't impressed with that and talking to your man he was pleasant but not really tech savvy. Anyway I left it at that seeing that I could perhaps leave the laptop on for a while after work to sync instead, even though I like to pack it away at the end of the day.

Seeing that we're still in the cooling off period for the TV (which is rubbish by the way, 1080i at most on a 4k TV and not wireless without fugly extra boxes) we went to cancel to return to the previous package which they told us is no longer available.

Is this something that they are actually allowed to do? My wife was on the phone with them so I didn't hear the conversation.

If they are I was wondering if anyone's got any good recommendation for a SIRO package with decent upload speed? We're not really interested in the TV bit as we mostly watch Netflix and similar anyway and the others we can receive with an aerial. We haven't had a landline in many years so that's not important either. Nor am I interested in any bundled routers. I've got a decent Unifi one that I'd rather use if I can.

I've been looking online tonight at:
    * Digiweb (looks ok, albeit 100Mbps upload there too)
    * Airwire (don't like the 18 mnths contract for the 500Mbps bundle, and 50Mbps upload on top of that)
    * Eir (can't find our address)
    * Sky (need to make an account to get the prices? No idea of upload)
    * Pure telecom (need to phone them for availability and they don't advertise upload speed)

Are there any others? 12 month contract is fine with us. Is anyone offering symmetrical fibre on SIRO?

I like that Digiweb and Airwire have a presence here I must say and I'd rather support an Irish company if we do switch.

Mine had a blue plastic film on it I had to peel off on the router itself. Did yours have that ?

Not sure, was my housemate that received the router.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

dapka wrote: »
    If they are I was wondering if anyone's got any good recommendation for a SIRO package with decent upload speed?

You may be out of luck. The original SIRO 1Gb/s package had 200Mb/s upload, but it's no longer available to order. If Vodafone killed off your original service, it may be impossible for them or any other provider to reinstate it.

I've a 7530 and I get the near gig. Are u testing it wired and with a device capable?

• Advertisement

I'd say you won't be able to get 200 up again but I would lodge an official complaint to VF that they changed your speeds without consultation. It could be argued that adding TV might renew a contract but they never said the BB package changed. Then wait 10days and go to comreg. That's the only way to hit top level support.

Advertisement