Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SIRO - ESB/Vodafone Fibre To The Home

Options

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Digiweb

Jcomm114 wrote: »
    We’ve moved to a new house and the previous tenant had SIRO installed. Only issue is he seems to have taken the internal SIRO connection box with him. Is this normal, I would have thought they would have just taken their router with them? Has anyone been able to get another SIRO box easy enough? We’ve tried a few providers and haven’t been able to get confirmation of what the next steps are so anyone that has any advice would be great.

The attached from the SIRO installation is basically what we have on our wall now. Thanks.

Yep, they've taken the ONT with them. Easily fixed though, would require an engineer call out. 5 minutes job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Well, that was a dick move.

Try the smaller providers who operate in your area, you're less likely to get lost in the cogs of a giant machine trying to explain the situation. Send them that picture. One of them should be able to sort you out.

Probably just ignorance, unless they took the light bulbs and curtains as well?

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

schmoo2k wrote: »
    Probably just ignorance, unless they took the light bulbs and curtains as well?

We'll compromise and call it dickish ignorance. ;)

By far the most common scenario I've encountered is people taking the power supply for the ONT with them when they move house. Like... WHY?!

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭VegetaIRL8e

Hi guys,
    I know questions like this have kinda been asked, but slight different circumstance.
    Just bought a house and will be taking ownership of it in the next 3 weeks. Went to register with Sky for TV&Broadband. Cant complete because Siro BB account already active. That's fine.
    When I get keys and then sign up, can I get the inside ONT moved? I suspect its not somewhere I can install a network cabinet & kit, so would want it moved to different part.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭ipodrocker

Hi guys,
    I know questions like this have kinda been asked, but slight different circumstance.
    Just bought a house and will be taking ownership of it in the next 3 weeks. Went to register with Sky for TV&Broadband. Cant complete because Siro BB account already active. That's fine.
    When I get keys and then sign up, can I get the inside ONT moved? I suspect its not somewhere I can install a network cabinet & kit, so would want it moved to different part.

suggest to ask, I called my ISP to arrange engineer call out as I want to move my ONT to my attic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 romanticjoe

Hi Folks,

Upgraded BB with Vodafone today and Siro will be out next week to install. I preferably don't want the Siro box inside in my hall, but under the stairs as that's storage and there are two plugs there for the SIRO terminal and router. This would mean externally, SIRO would run the wire from the electricity box back to the highlighted point in the image, which would be behind my side gate. Does anyone know if the engineers would be happy to do that or when they say the external box needs to be accessible, do they mean from the front of the house without having me to be there to let them in the side gate?

548906.jpeg

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭dam099

Hi Folks,

Upgraded BB with Vodafone today and Siro will be out next week to install. I preferably don't want the Siro box inside in my hall, but under the stairs as that's storage and there are two plugs there for the SIRO terminal and router. This would mean externally, SIRO would run the wire from the electricity box back to the highlighted point in the image, which would be behind my side gate. Does anyone know if the engineers would be happy to do that or when they say the external box needs to be accessible, do they mean from the front of the house without having me to be there to let them in the side gate?

Cheers!

I expect they would, thats a similar distance to my own install which also passed a side gate.

Another thing to consider though is will you be using their router for WiFi? If so under the stairs is not a great place to locate it.

ipodrocker wrote: »
    suggest to ask, I called my ISP to arrange engineer call out as I want to move my ONT to my attic.
    What did the ISP say, did they agree?
    I asked the Sky WebChat and got a generic, "if its installed its installed and its the optimum place for the install" response.
    I wont be able to know more till I get keys to the house.

What did the ISP say, did they agree?
    I asked the Sky WebChat and got a generic, "if its installed its installed and its the optimum place for the install" response.
    I wont be able to know more till I get keys to the house.

I've engineer coming next week to see, hopefully can be moved.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,141 ✭✭✭shanec1928

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Well, that was a dick move.

Try the smaller providers who operate in your area, you're less likely to get lost in the cogs of a giant machine trying to explain the situation. Send them that picture. One of them should be able to sort you out.

It’s a dick move. Happened us for ffth they even cut the termination off the fibre. Any isp should be able to sort it once you tell them.

• Advertisement

dam099 wrote: »
    I expect they would, thats a similar distance to my own install which also passed a side gate.

Another thing to consider though is will you be using their router for WiFi? If so under the stairs is not a great place to locate it.

Great Thanks for the reply. I currently have the router in cupboard under the TV in sitting on a max 100Mbps line and wifi is fine all across the house so I'd be hopeful under the stairs should perform at least the same and the direct fibre should be better :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,990 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Great Thanks for the reply. I currently have the router in cupboard under the TV in sitting on a max 100Mbps line and wifi is fine all across the house so I'd be hopeful under the stairs should perform at least the same and the direct fibre should be better :)

Are you planning on keeping your own router?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 benp

Hi,

Got Siro fiber - Sky Q - 500mg Broadband, installed last week so far it's been okay but had some fluctuation in speeds during the week.

My setup

Siro to Sky router wired > Sky router > TP Link M4 Mesh Deco 1 wired >
    Deco 2 upstairs wired to 2 desktop PC's office , Deco 3 wireless bedroom

1. I got a cable/plug tidy box at the entry point behind TV to keep wifey happy.
    So unplugged Siro & Router to reset everything, I notice now that the Lan LED light is flashing green ? on the Siro ONT, I'm sure it was solid green before the re-plug can someone confirm this normal please.

2. Speed at the Sky router wired is 500mg plus, wireless variable 50-70 old phone
    Speed at my PC's upstairs wired to M4 Deco has ranged from 350 at install
    then dropped back to 250 for a few days now today it's back 300-350

I know the slight drop at the PC's would about right given the distance form Hub, so just checking to see if this sounds about right with users.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I have m4s on a gig connection and it varies between 250 and 500 depending on device and also how much data is on the backhaul wirelessly.
    You're getting what you would expect, the decos aren't very expensive so perform accordingly. But you don't need any more performance unless you're uploading videos all day etc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

A bit of reverse question, have went sale agreed on my house, so will need to move out in few months if all goes well, as have vodafone siro BB on years contract and it wont be up till Ocotber, other family place where ill be staying has already vodafone BB so not sure yet how will need to proceed, can i pass new owners to take over contract, or will i need to look up in cancelling any idea for cancellation fees ? as will need to wait prob 1-2 months before moving into new house. as went trough vodafone faq but aside moving houses couldnt find any info in regards to suspending account for few months.

ipodrocker wrote: »

so engineer called today, but for what I need is a reinstall all engineer would offer is running cat6 from the ont to my new location. I will have to see if the ISP will do reinstall, anyone had joy with a reinstall?

Hi @ipodrocker, no experience and Im about 2 weeks away from being able to order, but do keep us updated as I feel this is something I will be needing myself!

Hi @ipodrocker, no experience and Im about 2 weeks away from being able to order, but do keep us updated as I feel this is something I will be needing myself!

Absolutely, will see how I get on keep you posted.

CoBo55 wrote: »
    Are you planning on keeping your own router?

I was planning on using whatever router they provided me. Discovered the hub for the telephone sockets is under the stairs and they are all cat5e so if there are any issues with wife from under the stairs, I'll connect the cat 5e cable from sitting room port to the Siro box and set up the Vodafone router where the current one is in the sitting room and all should be ok :)

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭EarWig

Leading Irish homebuilder, Glenveagh Properties, is to begin installing fibre optic broadband as standard in new homes during construction. The company has partnered with wholesale broadband provider SIRO which will ensure that new home owners have broadband from day one – avoiding the lengthy delays of up to 2 months which typically face new home owners trying to access broadband services.

https://glenveagh.ie/news/glenveagh-properties-to-preinstall-fibre-optic-broadband-in-new-homes-as-standard/?fbclid=IwAR3ke033mpZwD5Wl5xB1W2sUBIt2FmDUqeKItSifEyfjECchXdpn7eEJgm4

• Advertisement

So latest on this is, called Vodafone and firstly had to explain what an attic was!!

secondly as im currently in contract I would have break my contract in order to get the service reinstalled which seems bit unfair as all ive asked is changed how the fibre comes into the house.

anyone else had similar experience?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Letter in the door that SIRO works are starting on May 4th! Thats Eir FTTH and SIRO in my estate now. No poles so everything is run underground, don't know anybody in the estate who has gotten either yet so will be interesting to see how they actually get it into the house. Same duct as the copper cables I imagine

Letter in the door that SIRO works are starting on May 4th! Thats Eir FTTH and SIRO in my estate now. No poles so everything is run underground, don't know anybody in the estate who has gotten either yet so will be interesting to see how they actually get it into the house. Same duct as the copper cables I imagine
    your long way from siro if works only starting, they will dredge entire estate so mainly footpaths and wells, so no need to get anywhere, once done usually take 6-9 months before it goes live, so if thats the case could be March before its active. and yeah once in place same ducting off the street to get to your gas meter, and afterwards just hole in the wall to route it inside.

got text from siro for my appointment so fingers crossed they come for my install!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,990 ✭✭✭CoBo55

This time next year it might be available. They started here 2 years ago and it’s not live, loads of work going on here today but that could stop just as quickly and they might not be seen for a few months again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

CoBo55 wrote: »
    This time next year it might be available. They started here 2 years ago and it’s not live, loads of work going on here today but that could stop just as quickly and they might not be seen for a few months again.

Oh interesting, the letter in the door said it'll be complete by the 21st May! Ah thats a shame. Guess we will be going with Eir ftth then

Anyone know if you need new router from vodafone if moving from siro back to 100mb area ? as can see fiber live, but think its for eir etc, where siro shows as not connected yet. Also whats the rough timeline once moving to be connected back 2 weeks ?

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭huggs2

scamalert wrote: »
    Anyone know if you need new router from vodafone if moving from siro back to 100mb area ? as can see fiber live, but think its for eir etc, where siro shows as not connected yet. Also whats the rough timeline once moving to be connected back 2 weeks ?

Siro website says "not yet available at my address" but I saw a contractor for siro a few doors down from me in my estate last week.It turned out he was installing siro fibre and he showed me my connection, put a meter on it and it was live.You might check with your ISP as well as they will know. It's been installed this Thursday.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

If the property is connected but not appearing as enabled on their website, you need to get a hold of the property id (think that was the term). Give that to Sky or whoever and they can progress the connection.

• Advertisement

If the property is connected but not appearing as enabled on their website, you need to get a hold of the property id (think that was the term). Give that to Sky or whoever and they can progress the connection.
    im with vodafone, moving into new build if a months time, if i check siro it shows as not there, theres few ftth boxes for eir live etc in the area and if i check addy for vodafone it gives me speeds of 85mbps so just no clue if its still considered fiber etc just 100mb one or would be a phone line more likely.

Advertisement