Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SIRO - ESB/Vodafone Fibre To The Home

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,489 ✭✭✭tinpib

As Virgin were increasing my price I decidied to switch to Pure Telecom and it's been a total nightmare. Pure Telecom themselves have been grand, always very helpful and nice on the phone. I'm on the 4th floor of an apartment block, it took 3 visits to get the box installed. That's 3 mornings of moving workstuff around so I could be available, they needed a hoist to install it.

Once installed my speeds varied wildly every few minutes from 6meg to 300meg, no real consistency but not really an issue.

After exactly 28 days I lost my signal. That was 12 days ago, still not resolved. Had to arrnage a 4th morning of moving wrok aorund so an engineer could check it out. It looks like they need to put a new cable in and I guess the money is in installations not repairs for SIRO as they just can't bother their holes to do it.

Not a whole pile Pure can do, it's a SIRO issue. Just want Pure to cancel my contract at this stage, yes I have a 12 month contract but it's for a service which they can't provide!

Let's see how I get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

Im with Digiweb and now on 2nd week of having no internet!! Broadband was gone when i got up Sunday 18th July. Been on to Digiweb numerous times since... They got Siro to call out on tue 20th July...Siro crowd established that the broadband cable had cracked due to heat ...new cable would need to be laid....they would be back the following day or the thursday at the latest...no sign of them since!!!Ive rang digiweb for update numerous times since and have begged for update and requested a call back clarifying when this will be getting this done as two of us working at home and need broadband....havent received any call back so spend ages again every two days ringing them once again requesting confirmation that it is being followed up on...and requesting a call back.....and never getting it. I even emailed them and got a response stating they endeavour to respond to emails within 24 hours, but no later than 72 hours....that call never came and ive rang them again today...and i spoke to a guy who i truly believe could not care less....i highlighted that i had spoke to him last week and had requested he ring me back with update once he got in touch with Siro....he never did and he had no intention of apologising or explaining himself for his bad customer service.......just blank responses.....ive actually demanded that he gets in touch with me by end of today or to get his manager to ring me letting me know when i should expect something to be done.....it is now 5 o clock so pretty sure that's not going to happen!!! I even highlighted the fact that this is the longest period ive ever being without internet since the 90s!!! (imagine Siro laid wire country wide and never thought of taking adequate measures to protect their cable from 30 degress heat!!) For anyone thats thinking of going with Siro or Digiweb..my advice is to avoid!!!!!!!!

Tinpib....please let me know if you are able to cancel your contract without penalty as i would like to do same!!! Changing to Siro was massive mistake...

Sorry to hear that and the heat makes a lot of sense. I actually said that to the guy when I called them first on Friday July 16th, my interent went down at 11:30am that day, so at the beginning of the heatwave. I moved my router out of the direct sun light as I thought that might be it.

I'm guessing that SIRO are absolutely inundated with cables to replace. Your experience sounds very similar to mine, just getting abslutely nowhere on the phone.

I'm just thinking would this be a "talk to Joe" moment? There could be a lot more of us, could be something for Liveline.

I will keep you posted on here, and do keep us posted here. I'm sorta lucky that my Virgin broadband is still live until Bank holiday Monday, but ideally I need some conclusion by Friday. I don't have much hope.

Sorry to hear that and the heat makes a lot of sense. I actually said that to the guy when I called them first on Friday July 16th, my interent went down at 11:30am that day, so at the beginning of the heatwave. I moved my router out of the direct sun light as I thought that might be it.

I'm guessing that SIRO are absolutely inundated with cables to replace. Your experience sounds very similar to mine, just getting abslutely nowhere on the phone.

I'm just thinking would this be a "talk to Joe" moment? There could be a lot more of us, could be something for Liveline.

I will keep you posted on here, and do keep us posted here. I'm sorta lucky that my Virgin broadband is still live until Bank holiday Monday, but ideally I need some conclusion by Friday. I don't have much hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭stamjoe

Is there a consolidated list of which providers who provide a fritzbox and which model?

• Advertisement

I am in a more fortunate situation than you Lilly, your sitaution sounds awful, I would be going crazy.

My Virgin service will be switched off at 11:59pm on Sunday Aug 1st, I talked to helpful person in retentions and then an aggressive rude douche in sales and my understanding is that I am now out of contract but I can cancel my cancelation and have a 30 day rolling contract on the same rate, with no €150 cancellation fee as I am out of contract.

So I will do that tomorrow,then call them next Monday 2nd to cancel again, so I will then have another 30 days with them, so until Sept 1st or so by which time I sincerely hope SIRO have replaced my cable. If for some reason they haven't then on Aug 30th/31st I could again cancel my cancellation, and on ,and on we go.

I called Pure today, I wasn't as frustrated as I was yesterday. I didn't even push canceling my contract, in no mood for an argument. They have no idea when my cable will be replaced. My spidey senses are telling me it's due to SIRO being snowed under due to mass failures around the country due to the heat. I also need to talk to them about not paying for these 12 days plus with no service, they should do that at least.

I tweeted a few tech journalists about it, will see if any of them bite. I guess if there are dozens or hundreds affected it could be a worthwhile story for them.

Apparently my SIRO drop cable will be replaced on Friday morning. All I can suggest Lilly is to keep hassling Digiweb and hopefully they can get it sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,903 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Digiweb have a great record over all. What ever you do don't ever go with Eir. Eir will sign you up for 70 a month, then send you bills of 432.00 a month, even when you make sure not to use the phone for a whole month as a test, which I did last month, they sent out a bill for 120.00 scumbags

• Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Just a quick question, our service with Virgin is up next week so we need to get a new provider. Luckily, SIRO is now available in the estate, however openEir FTTH is also available.

Vodafone provide fibre through both services. Is there a way to know if they are giving you the SIRO or eir fibre version? It doesn't say when you go to checkout on the website. Presume you have to call?

Also interesting seeing comments about SIRO taking around a year to activate? Pavements were dug up here in May, finished end of June and on the SIRO site it now says active as well as some letters from SIRO saying we can now order and from Digiweb saying it's available!

Thanks!

Got my broadband sorted. They got a crane in and replaced the dropcable that runs up my apartment block and into my apartment. The engineer reckoned it was someone who damaged the cable, I don't believe it myself. The heat makes more sense as I'm not the only one.

I still think I will leave Siro providers at the end of my contract in 10 months time. No way I can risk the same thing happening again. Paying the extra for Virign/Sky seems worth it especially as I had zero complaints with Virgin service before only the price.

• Advertisement

3rd sunday in a row without broadband...still no sign of my internet getting fixed....meanwhile i noticed the direct debit went out of my account two days ago for a service that hasnt been provided for some time. As said above by tinpib, i will be leaving as soon as my contract is up....heading into 3 weeks without broadband...no sign of it getting fixed...absolute joke....Mary Robinson would be out protesting about a breach of human rights if it happened in a 3rd world country or if Princess Latiffas Iphone reception went down 😁 ...yet seems totally acceptable for ESB/Vodafone.....shouldve known it be **** when i seen their names attached to Siro......

Definitely call them to get some or all of that payment back into your account. I called Pure Telecom on Friday and asked for it, the girl had to send it to a manager, couldn't do it herself. I shouldn't be paying for 14 of the 31 days of that bill where I didn't have service.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Downsey77

Has anyone signed up with Rural Wifi for their SIRO broadband.

Coming to the end of my contract with 500GB SIRO on Sky for €30p.m. and want to switch although, personally probably the most reliable broadband I've ever had.

I've had serious issues with the Virgin Hub router before so not keen on going to them and hearing serious issues with VF router & their customer service so want to avoid them.

Anyone else to consider as I heard Digiweb router is good?

Im in the middle of week 3 without broadband for no fault of my own...i would not be calling Siro reliable! Im with Digiweb and didnt find any improvement with their router to be honest...and the fact that im on week three without broadband and no sign of anything happening to fix it says a lot

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Downsey77

It was an absolute saga to get installed in the first place, took 4 visits by Actavo to get it working (Fibres too short, blocked duct, etc).

I allowed myself a month to get it installed before VM contract was up but ended up going back to VM in my wife's name and subsequently cancelling within the 14 days, just to tide us over til SIRO was up & running.

However once installed, I have to say the sky SIRO router is great, no issues with multiple connections, I never need to reset the router like I had too every few days with VM. The only issues I've had have been due to major SIRO outages (a couple of hours, on 2 occassions in last 12months).

Will try to get a deal out of Sky to stay, but want to be prepared to move if I have too so.

On further inspection the Digiweb deal does not look as good as Vodaphone or Rural Wifi's.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭breeno

Long shot but is there anywhere to search for a rough time line of when Siro or Eir Gigabit etc might reach your area? I'm in Templeogue in Dublin and still no sign of any high speed via the line. We have virgin of course but it's pricy when you can't chop and change!

No internet since 1th July,.no word back for a week Official complaint made to Digiweb, no response.....

Sorry that should be 18th! Cant see how to edit original post

Are you ringing them every day Lilly? From day 7 I was with mine, got it sorted on day 14.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭irishguy

Anyone got any ideas when SIRo might start installing fiber into Dublin 6w? Harold's cross specifically

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Gunner3629

Will OpenEir and Siro deploy in the same area's ultimately. It appears at present, they both go to area's where the others haven't been yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Gunner3629

So inefficient, when many parts of country still have neither. Yes I know they are both out to make money but you would think there would be some communication between them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭dam099

Yes, that is a complete joke, glad you got it sorted. I have problems with SIRO itself, often my download speed drops to under 3megs, I reset the router and all is fine. But I seem to be doing that every 5-7 days where I probably reset my Virgin router 3 or 4 times a year.

However I have no complaints about Pure Teleocm themselves, in general very nice and helpful on the phone. I asked for a reduction on my bill as I had no service for 14 days and they waved the bill for the entire month. Very good customer service from them. They are certainly doing all they can to keep me as a customer. Let's see how I feel in 10 months time when my contract is up,

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Stephen Strange

My estate has Eir ftth, but both Siro and Virgin are surveying to launch ftth, so we will most likely have the choice of all 3 products in the next 18 months

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Was notified a month ago SIRO available in my area so signed up. Advised that sometimes ESB are required to do work preinstallation and they can be notoriously slow.

So just my luck that I'm waiting a month for ESB to come do something with a cable, all the while my existing Virgin service will expire in the coming days. Pretty sure I'll be ringing Digiweb to cancel my order and get Virgin to keep me on (for remainder of the contract, I had an out).

Pretty rubbish planning and organisation that SIRO can be offered to customers when works still need to be done that take weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,990 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Not looking good for me unfortunately, I left VM and went to Digiweb on their fttc service which to be fair to them has been faultless. Every estate around me has gone live for ftth in the last few weeks except mine. All the vans have disappeared so it looks like my estate isn't being done. I'll probably have to go back to VM when my contract ends with Digiweb.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭boardzz

I'm moving to a new estate that doesn't have SIRO or Eir FTTH in Galway City. Only Virgin.

There are new houses added onto the estate further in the back and they have got Eir FTTH but the older house to front don't.

For context nearly everywhere in Galway city has SIRO. The estate next to this has it but not this one.

What would be the reason for this. It's a managed estate.

Advertisement