Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SIRO - ESB/Vodafone Fibre To The Home

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Interestingly it looks like from next year, Eircom Wholesale will offer other Telecos access to it's ducts and poles to carry fibre.

This could make it more likely that Eircom could force the ESB to do the same with it's poles and ducts.

Which if priced fairly all around, I'd very much welcome as it should boost competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Current FTTH trials are 150 Symmetric. That beats UPCs 240/20 for many users as the increased upload is more beneficial than a minor download boost. That would most likely be the base package with gig being offered to SME and corporate customers.

If they build out the GPON network with good infrastructure (poles and ducts) then the service costs could plummet. Rural copper is a financial burden and a lightning magnet.

Any word on eircom being released as the USO/rules being modified? As it stands I think they'd still have to provide the copper lines for the 1 in 100 that didnt want to transition to FTTH.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭ukoda

bk wrote: »
    Interestingly it looks like from next year, Eircom Wholesale will offer other Telecos access to it's ducts and poles to carry fibre.

This could make it more likely that Eircom could force the ESB to do the same with it's poles and ducts.

Which if priced fairly all around, I'd very much welcome as it should boost competition.

I wouldnt see Eircom ever be allowed any where near ESB's infastruture to be honest. Eircom can be forced to allow other telco's access their infrastuture as its one telco accessing another telco network. But ESB's infastructure is not anything like a tradition telco, its an electricty network, in terms of running fibre on HV and LV electricity lines, i would imagine ESB would never be forced to allow anyone open access to their electricty network due to safety concerns

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I think your friend might be a little confused.

UPC only have 240mb/s and it costs €45 per month. Your friend most be getting other services too like TV to be paying €60. Otherwise he should call them and ask to be switched to the €45 240mb/s package.

It is certainly true that you should revenue your packages once a year, otherwise you might end up on a more expensive and slower package then is otherwise available. Yes, this sort of practice sucks, but it is pretty much true of every service we receive (gas, electricity, insurance of all types, etc.).

My daughter got UPC, broadband only, last Oct/Nov and is charged €60 for 200mb/s.

I must get her to check the availability of that €45 240mb/s package .....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MajesticDonkey

Slightly off-topic, but should rural FTTH be implemented in the next 10 years, it is almost guaranteed that we would see more SOPA-like laws in place to block sharing of pirated material which is obviously a massive talking point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,140 ✭✭✭nilhg

What ever about the ducts, putting fibre on Eircoms pole network would be a bit of a disaster I reckon, longer distances because it follows the road network and a huge amount of entanglement in trees and hedges, the ESB lines are kept really well cleared by comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

Slightly off-topic, but should rural FTTH be implemented in the next 10 years, it is almost guaranteed that we would see more SOPA-like laws in place to block sharing of pirated material which is obviously a massive talking point.
    Well, if you could buy a digital copy of a film just like you can buy one in a shop (ie for yourself or as a gift) then that wouldn't be a problem. Ultra violet is a step towards that but not enough videos are on it yet. As someone who buys games on Steam for myself and others I was really surprised that I couldnt gift digital copies of certain films and tv series to friends of mine this christmas*. 30Mbps+ download speeds from FTTx coupled with a legal service that can compete with tpb for content would greatly reduce piracy and help talented performers make a living.

*not itunes since I don't want to force them to use that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭dbit

Well, if you could buy a digital copy of a film just like you can buy one in a shop (ie for yourself or as a gift) then that wouldn't be a problem. Ultra violet is a step towards that but not enough videos are on it yet. As someone who buys games on Steam for myself and others I was really surprised that I couldnt gift digital copies of certain films and tv series to friends of mine this christmas*. 30Mbps+ download speeds from FTTx coupled with a legal service that can compete with tpb for content would greatly reduce piracy and help talented performers make a living.

*not itunes since I don't want to force them to use that

Always disliked apple because of the locked down DRM ****e . Agreed not enough has been done to counter the like of TPB. ITs like edonkey and kazza , I mesh and all those apps opened the door for digital media platforms , at a cost to the industry initially until they learned how to react - movie industry is dragging its heels slightly possibly due to larger data transfers and costs.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I don't see why rural FTTH would cause the introduction of SOPA like laws!!

That will likely happen regardless if we aren't careful.

Having said that, it won't do anything to stop piracy, it will just force piracy services to become more encypted, etc.

What will stop piracy is well designed, affordable, all you can eat services like Spotify and Steam.

We are almost there for games and music, but TV and movies is still a disjointed and too expensive mess.
    nilhg wrote: »
    What ever about the ducts, putting fibre on Eircoms pole network would be a bit of a disaster I reckon, longer distances because it follows the road network and a huge amount of entanglement in trees and hedges, the ESB lines are kept really well cleared by comparison.

Probably, but it would be a welcome development for other telcos in urban areas and the ducts.

It won't really be needed in rural areas anyway. I assume it will most likely be ESB who rollout FTTH in rural areas and they will use their high quality poles there. No other company then Eircom will even look at rural Ireland anyway.

I don't see why rural FTTH would cause the introduction of SOPA like laws!!

I don't specifically mean rural FTTH, I mean widespread very high speed internet access - bound to increase the use of torrenting, particularly with symmetric 200Mb/500Mb/1Gb upload!

Let's face it - at the moment it's looking quite likely that Ireland will, within the next 10 years, become a county with one of the fastest internet speeds on the planet, which will mean more spotlight on copyright infringement and piracy laws.

But that's for another day :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Falcon L

I don't specifically mean rural FTTH, I mean widespread very high speed internet access - bound to increase the use of torrenting, particularly with symmetric 200Mb/500Mb/1Gb upload!

Let's face it - at the moment it's looking quite likely that Ireland will, within the next 10 years, become a county with one of the fastest internet speeds on the planet, which will mean more spotlight on copyright infringement and piracy laws.

But that's for another day :)

I love the optimism. Don't hold your breath though. You'll turn a funny colour. ;)

Falcon L wrote: »
    I love the optimism. Don't hold your breath though. You'll turn a funny colour. ;)

Actually according to Netindex (spepdtest.net) in the past two yeas alone, Ireland has leapt 12 places higher to 42nd in the world and the average download speed has more then doubled from 10mb/s to 24mb/s.

With the developments coming in the Irish market (UPC getting faster and faster, Eircom continuing to rollout VDSL to 1.6million homes and the ESB and Eircom FTTH rollouts) and more people signing up to these services, I really expect Ireland to jump into at least the top 30 in the next 2 years, passing, the likes of the US, UK and Germany.

At least in urban Ireland, things are really looking up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Falcon L

Actually according to Netindex (spepdtest.net) in the past two yeas alone, Ireland has leapt 12 places higher to 42nd in the world and the average download speed has more then doubled from 10mb/s to 24mb/s.

With the developments coming in the Irish market (UPC getting faster and faster, Eircom continuing to rollout VDSL to 1.6million homes and the ESB and Eircom FTTH rollouts) and more people signing up to these services, I really expect Ireland to jump into at least the top 30 in the next 2 years, passing, the likes of the US, UK and Germany.

At least in urban Ireland, things are really looking up.

Being a rural dweller, the only improvement I expect is some speed increase due to the removal of pressure on the backhaul. Uncontested adsl is probably the best I can hope for in my lifetime.

I know, I know... my choice to live in the country, but us ruralites are still a large part of the country.

Excuse me for not getting excited, I just don't trust anything that depends on government will. It can evaporate as quickly as a majority.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

I'm sure that Ireland could make a big selling point out of providing tech jobs in a rural setting. A lot of techies would love to be able to work or live in the countryside and it would set us apart from other countries.

I'm sure that Ireland could make a big selling point out of providing tech jobs in a rural setting. A lot of techies would love to be able to work or live in the countryside and it would set us apart from other countries.

Seems the foreigners don't want to anyway,

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/foreign-techies-dont-want-to-live-in-rural-ireland-30888450.html

That's only because the broadband outside big towns/cities is crap. Jumbo is saying that, should we get rural FTTH, and even with this ESB/Voda venture, there is the possibility of tech companies not wanting or needing to locate in cities.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭ukoda

That's only because the broadband outside big towns/cities is crap. Jumbo is saying that, should we get rural FTTH, and even with this ESB/Voda venture, there is the possibility of tech companies not wanting or needing to locate in cities.

Thats true, but realistically you're not going to see Facebook's European HQ locating in a village in Mayo.

They will always opt for cities, however it opens other opportunities for smaller firms and remote working for big tech companies

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

ukoda wrote: »
    Thats true, but realistically you're not going to see Facebook's European HQ locating in a village in Mayo.

They will always opt for cities, however it opens other opportunities for smaller firms and remote working for big tech companies

You won't get the big 500+ seat guys setting up outside of the main cities..

But with proper data speeds available you might be able to get the smaller FDI places that are looking to hire maybe 50/100 people to move a bit further up the road.

Ennis or Newcastlewest instead of Limerick , Charleville or Yoghal instead of Cork etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

We seem to be increasingly moving to a freelancing/telecommuting economy anyway, so I could see the appeal of a fibre-connected rural setting to a lot of people.

Only if you believe that rubbish ..... comparing well built apartments in Dublin to draughty houses in rural areas.

Provide the services .... and facilitate people working from rural areas and it will happen.

• Advertisement

Only if you believe that rubbish ..... comparing well built apartments in Dublin to draughty houses in rural areas.

Provide the services .... and facilitate people working from rural areas and it will happen.

I wouldn't be shouting too much about the quality of the building anywhere during the boom, plenty of cowboys in Dublin especially when you consider the price they were selling the units for.

More and more rural areas already have or will have decent broadband soon so the proof of the pudding will be in the eating

• Registered Users Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

The reality is that most people probably can't work from home at all and many who can don't like the isolation and much prefer to be in an office.

murphaph wrote: »
    The reality is that most people probably can't work from home at all and many who can don't like the isolation and much prefer to be in an office.

Nobody is referring to 'most' people.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

murphaph wrote: »

Working from home is the dogs you know what!

-sitting in my pj's

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Gilma2010

I live in North County Dublin and just signed up for Vodafone fibre broadband yesterday.
    I'm currently with Sky, who wouldn't allow me to get rid of the phone. I'm looking to cut costs, so landline cost and call charges are unnecessary. Its better value for me to use mobile and Skype, Viber etc for international calls.
    Vodafone have 50MB speed available in my area, they're promised me a min of 34MB. I currently have 2.5MB.
    Sky wanted an extra €10 for the fibre service, limited to 25GB download, plus another €10 for unlimited use.
    Vodafone are offering unlimited with fair use of 300GB. All for €35 per month and a free modem.
    Sky really need to look after their current customers in terms of offers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

Gilma2010 wrote: »
    I live in North County Dublin and just signed up for Vodafone fibre broadband yesterday.
    I'm currently with Sky, who wouldn't allow me to get rid of the phone. I'm looking to cut costs, so landline cost and call charges are unnecessary. Its better value for me to use mobile and Skype, Viber etc for international calls.
    Vodafone have 50MB speed available in my area, they're promised me a min of 34MB. I currently have 2.5MB.
    Sky wanted an extra €10 for the fibre service, limited to 25GB download, plus another €10 for unlimited use.
    Vodafone are offering unlimited with fair use of 300GB. All for €35 per month and a free modem.
    Sky really need to look after their current customers in terms of offers.

You are in the wrong thread, this one is about a Vodafone/ESB joint venture to build a brand new network to bring fibre to the home, you signed up for Vodafone fibre to the cabinet which uses Eircom copper for delivery

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

Any update on when we this will be launching?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,448 ✭✭✭Nollog

neacy69 wrote: »
    Any update on when we this will be launching?

My bet is on December 31st.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

What happened to the thread where there was someone from Navan Cavan who actually had the service and they were telling us how it was going?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

What happened to the thread where there was someone from Navan Cavan who actually had the service and they were telling us how it was going?

D'oh!

It was this thread....:o

Advertisement