Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SIRO - ESB/Vodafone Fibre To The Home

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭dazdrog

So far I've only seen them in Drogheda I think. Where else are they showing up? Apologies for going off topic.

Is there much info out there about how they will carry out installs for those urban areas who have overhead connections to the ESB network?

im on one of them in drogheda, so no vectoring for me yet :( cant wait for april

• Registered Users Posts: 5,448 ✭✭✭Nollog

Vego wrote: »
    Just seen a speed comparison on someone doing trials in cavan on the esb fibre ...when can we get this product ?
    How does this product work. Was talking to a fella in Cavan and he said the router is plunged into the house plug socket. Esb power socket.

Where do you see all this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bpmurray

I had been confused by this up to now - the initial announcement indicated that there would be rural coverage, but I just found the map and it appears that "rural" according to Vodafone & ESB means "large towns outside Dublin", i.e. those areas already receiving good connection speeds over DSL. Unfortunately it appears that rural areas, i.e. those areas currently unable to receive reasonable speeds, are excluded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭Hackery

bpmurray wrote: »
    I had been confused by this up to now - the initial announcement indicated that there would be rural coverage, but I just found the map and it appears that "rural" according to Vodafone & ESB means "large towns outside Dublin", i.e. those areas already receiving good connection speeds over DSL. Unfortunately it appears that rural areas, i.e. those areas currently unable to receive reasonable speeds, are excluded.

That is correct. Vodafone ESB are only going where 100Mbps VDSL is already available from several operators and what looks like some UPC areas where 240Mbps is available.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bpmurray

Hackery wrote: »
    That is correct. Vodafone ESB are only going where 100Mbps VDSL is already available from several operators and what looks like some UPC areas where 240Mbps is available.

Not good news. Since folk here seem interested in the topic of connectivity, does anyone know how one can get, reasonable-ish speeds in the boonies? I currently get 5Mb/s over some kind of wifi (don't know what the technology is called) - 10Mb/s would be wonderful!

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Ordin73

I just had a follow up visit from some of the tec guys that installed the broadband. He wanted to test my speeds and how it compared to the other Estates.. Apparently they recon the connection and speeds are more stable now.

894 down 913 upload

https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/229005/337428.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Manc Red

Ordin73 wrote: »
    I just had a follow up visit from some of the tec guys that installed the broadband. He wanted to test my speeds and how it compared to the other Estates.. Apparently they recon the connection and speeds are more stable now

Nice speeds. What's the ping?

You can click the "share this result" and then just copy and past in the image link on here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭hallo dare

Aw man, those speeds are amazing. If the ping is any more than 1 I'd be surprised!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭ads20101

I just had a follow up visit from some of the tec guys that installed the broadband. He wanted to test my speeds and how it compared to the other Estates.. Apparently they recon the connection and speeds are more stable now.

894 down 913 upload

Holy shît

To say that I am a tad jealous is a radical understatement.

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Falcon L

Yeah well, yours is all cluttered up with numbers. I think mine looks more tidy. :D
    4110735900.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

yuloni wrote: »
    The only way I can find to absolutely verify that what I've uploaded to Google Drive is all actually there, is to download it and see. Try doing that with 25TB of data.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Most of the large colleges in dublin have a gigabit link each (bar TCD which is the agg node), you have that just for your house. Make good use of it ;)

And by that I mean download all of the HEANET mirror, just because you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

I think Cavan needs some real testers. :)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

894 down 913 upload

Awesome, thanks for keeping us updated Ordin73

God I can't wait until this gets rolled out widely and we will have people on here on this forum whining that they are only getting 50Mb/s over their wifi from this :rolleyes:

Oh and complain that they don't have enough hard drive space to download the entire internet and their PC's not being able to keep up with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭dalta5billion

ED E wrote: »
    Most of the large colleges in dublin have a gigabit link each (bar TCD which is the agg node), you have that just for your house. Make good use of it ;)

Fairly sure UCD now has a 10Gbps link ;)

HEAnet's great though.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

HEAnet's great though.

You sir are correct.

Still 10Gbps/up to 24,000 is a tad slower than 1Gbps/1-5 :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

ED E wrote: »

And by that I mean download all of the HEANET mirror, just because you can.

Just have a local copy of the internet on your PC. Over 100s of webpages that 20ms ping adds up to a lot of wasted time.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,896 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

HEAnet's great though.

all the Universities have 10G.

Those are like 50 pages back, I thought there was NEW stuff. :(

Ordin73's update is cute though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭pm.

when can we expect the roll-out ( for mullingar ) ??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Nolars

http://www.siliconrepublic.com/comms/item/40521-vodafone-says-4g-coverage/

"The mobile operator said that it has completed fibre-to-the-premises technical trials with ESB on 300 homes in Cavan, achieving speeds of 940Mbps. "

http://www.vodafone.com/content/annualreport/annual_report13/index.html- Vodafone 2015
    Haven't checked this to see if it mentions anything to do with Fibre to the home.

Nolars wrote: »
    http://www.siliconrepublic.com/comms/item/40521-vodafone-says-4g-coverage/

"The mobile operator said that it has completed fibre-to-the-premises technical trials with ESB on 300 homes in Cavan, achieving speeds of 940Mbps. "

http://www.vodafone.com/content/annualreport/annual_report13/index.html- Vodafone 2015
    Haven't checked this to see if it mentions anything to do with Fibre to the home.
    I can has now then?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,335 ✭✭✭positron

Nolars wrote: »

I scanned thru that document and there's no mention of fibre to home, plans or 'ESB'. They seems to talk more about their fibre plans in Spain than here in that document.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

I would murder a human for fibre internet, when will this cavan magic come to my house?

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭mailsanchu

Meanwhile, Vodafone says that trials for a new €450m fibre broadband service in conjunction with the ESB are now completed. The company says that the trials, which occurred in Cavan, saw download speeds of 940Mbs.

However, it says that the new service will not now be available in early 2015 as originally planned. A spokesman said that it will not be available until late 2015 at the earliest. The full rollout of the service, which intends to reach 500,000 homes and businesses, is scheduled for completion by the end of 2018

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭Hackery

mailsanchu wrote: »

However, it says that the new service will not now be available in early 2015 as originally planned. A spokesman said that it will not be available until late 2015 at the earliest. The full rollout of the service, which intends to reach 500,000 homes and businesses, is scheduled for completion by the end of 2018

If that's the case eircom will launch before them. Their service is launching in August 2015.

Advertisement