Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SIRO - ESB/Vodafone Fibre To The Home

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Hackery wrote: »
    If that's the case eircom will launch before them. Their service is launching in August 2015.

Is it? Where does it say that? Is it on the eircom site?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭pm.

If that's the case eircom will launch before them. Their service is launching in August 2015.

are eircom going to offer a similar product ??

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

pm. wrote: »
    are eircom going to offer a similar product ??

http://www.siliconrepublic.com/comms/item/38973-eircom-reveals-rival-fibre

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Those results from Cavan are amazing. In the first phase it mentions Limerick City would that include properties on the edge of the city?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭pm.

do you know if they have a rollout map available ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,448 ✭✭✭Nollog

mailsanchu wrote: »
    However, it says that the new service will not now be available in early 2015 as originally planned. A spokesman said that it will not be available until late 2015 at the earliest. The full rollout of the service, which intends to reach 500,000 homes and businesses, is scheduled for completion by the end of 2018

I called it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭dbit

Loving the enthusiasm , I do not envisage them going to market with a FTTH product until well after the vdsl, Evdsl is completed and that is not due to end until well after 2016 . ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

pm. wrote: »
    do you know if they have a rollout map available ?

No map that I am aware of but this was in their press release:
    List of locations included in the first phase

Arklow, Wicklow
    Athlone, Westmeath
    Balbriggan, Dublin
    Ballina, Mayo
    Ballincollig, Cork
    Bray, Wicklow
    Carlow, Carlow
    Carrick-on-Shannon, Leitrim
    Carrigaline, Cork
    Castlebar, Mayo
    Cavan, Cavan
    Celbridge, Kildare
    Clonmel, Tipperary
    Cobh, Cork
    Cork City
    Drogheda, Louth
    Dundalk, Louth
    Ennis, Clare
    Enniscorthy, Wexford
    Galway City
    Gorey, Wexford
    Greystones, Wicklow
    Kilkenny, Kilkenny
    Killarney, Kerry
    Leixlip, Kildare
    Letterkenny, Donegal
    Limerick City
    Little Island, East Cork
    Longford, Longford
    Mallow, Cork
    Maynooth/Kilcock, Kildare
    Midleton, Cork
    Monaghan, Monaghan
    Mullingar, Westmeath
    Naas/Johnstown/Sallins, Kildare
    Navan, Meath
    Newbridge, Kildare
    Portlaoise, Laois
    Roscommon, Roscommon
    Shannon, Clare
    Skerries / Rush, Dublin
    Sligo, Sligo
    Swords /Malahide/Portmarnock, Dublin
    Tralee, Kerry
    Tramore, Waterford
    Tullamore, Offaly
    Waterford City
    Westport, Mayo
    Wexford, Wexford
    Wicklow, Wicklow

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭swoofer

is this still on the agenda or will eircom kill it stone dead. It has all gone oh so quiet!!

swoofer wrote: »
    is this still on the agenda or will eircom kill it stone dead. It has all gone oh so quiet!!

How can eircom kill esb vodafone fiber to the home ???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Hopefully it's still on then agenda. It's unlikely to kill eircom though. They've an ability to do similar themselves ... They won't though until driven to.

Eircom can't kill it either. It's absolutely nothing to do with them and has no interaction with their networks.

What eircom may do though is push regulatory issues. UPC may well do the same. However, it's possible you might even see UPC and eircom branded products delivered over this infrastructure. It's open to other players to use wholesale as far as I'm aware.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭ctlsleh

dbit wrote: »
    How can eircom kill esb vodafone fiber to the home ???

There is only one business case to bring fiber to the home, and that's to be the first provider, there is no business case for second operator to re-dig the roads and put down a second fiber, so whoever gets there first owns the customer.

Considering that both ESB/VF and Eircom will be open access (Wholesale offering) it seems pointless for them both to compete, we will then end up with something fragmented just like we have with UPC where both will only target the most profitable regions, so if eircom move very quickly, then they could potentially impact the ESB/VF opportunity.

ctlsleh wrote: »
    There is only one business case to bring fiber to the home, and that's to be the first provider, there is no business case for second operator to re-dig the roads and put down a second fiber, so whoever gets there first owns the customer.

Considering that both ESB/VF and Eircom will be open access (Wholesale offering) it seems pointless for them both to compete, we will then end up with something fragmented just like we have with UPC where both will only target the most profitable regions, so if eircom move very quickly, then they could potentially impact the ESB/VF opportunity.

"Quickly", now that would be something new for Eircom.

You really love to rip them a new one dont ya DBIT.

As mentioned previously, the VDSL rollout is flying along, eircom knows it needs to be aggressive in securing its customer base while it can.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭ctlsleh

well if the ESB/VF is delayed until end of 2015 earliest, for whatever reason....it would be interesting to hear why if anyone knows......and Eircom are already trialing and targeting October 2015 rollouts, then they will be ahead of the market and ahead of ESB/VF........

Does anybody know why ESB/VF are delayed?

Guilty! I'm just fed up with them sorry i don't mean to try to influence others and they're choices . Im a bad dog. I would love nothing more than for eircom to push my attitude and beliefs surrounding them into the ground.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

That isn't necessarily true in Urban areas. There certainly can be a case for two independent networks.

Just look at Eircom and UPC competing strongly with one another in the same areas.

The business case for the ESB is to become the second player, the UPC of urban areas that currently only have an Eircom monopoly. The business case is to take 40 to 50% of Eircoms customers, just like UPC have done in there areas.

Obviously this becomes a little more difficult if it is EDB FTTH versus Eircom FTTH, instead of Eircom VDSL. But it is still very doable when I'd expect ESB FTTH to be much cheaper then Eirom FTTH.

Remember, Eircom is massively in depth and it will cost them almost 50% more to finance the rollout of FTTH then it will cost the ESB with their superb credit rating.

Also Eircom has to contend with also maintaining a crumbling and increasingly worthless copper network at the same time as building a new FTTH network.

These would certainly be reflected in the pricing of the services and give the ESB a distinct advantage.

And even better, the ESB certainly don't have to dig up roads, etc. as they already have a superb access network of high quality ducts and poles in place.

The problem with being a reseller is that it is a low margin business. Almost all the profit is in actually owning the network. That is why you haven't seen UPC sell VDSL outside their cable areas. Something they could certainly do, but don't as it would drag down their profit margins.

You see the same in the UK, where Virgin Media (UPC Irelands parent company) previously sold VDSL on BT networks outside it's cable areas. It has now sold all these customers to another company, so it can instead focus on it's own, much more valuable cable network.

Owning the network is key to not being a two bit player that will eventually disappear.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Guilty! I'm just fed up with them sorry i don't mean to try to influence others and they're choices . Im a bad dog. I would love nothing more than for eircom to push my attitude and beliefs surrounding them into the ground.

Totally understandable, I struggle with the same feelings myself.

It is hard to overcome 15 years of hatred for a company who held us back so badly! In fairness they have done a great job with VDSL over the last 2 years and their CEO seems to be making all the right noises about FTTH and NBP. But I remain cautious about them, they have a lot to make up for!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Virgin (Liberty Global UK brand i.e. same parent as UPC) announced a huge build-out in the UK today. So, I'm guessing they'll be upgrading the old Virgin media network to support similar speeds to the network here and elsewhere.

I think BT's in for a shock

bk wrote: »
    Totally understandable, I struggle with the same feelings myself.

It is hard to overcome 15 years of hatred for a company who held us back so badly! In fairness they have done a great job with VDSL over the last 2 years and their CEO seems to be making all the right noises about FTTH and NBP. But I remain cautious about them, they have a lot to make up for!

You have taken the words out of my mouth I will try to use less hiss and hate when referring to Eircom. The brand has been shat upon via its selling off by our Gov and then the tripple handover that has occurred where investors have leeched it dry for profits .

Going forward ill try to keep quiet on Eircom topics . Its just so bloody hard , I ve carried these notions since i was a youngster tis hard to let it go . (Queue frozen music).

Hopefully those dark fibers will start being put to good use , Good times for KN.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,896 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Eircom are aiming for an August launch for FTTH, don't know how many actual areas will be included in that. Eircom have to do this as UPC are wiping them out in areas where its available.

You have taken the words out of my mouth I will try to use less hiss and hate when referring to Eircom. The brand has been shat upon via its selling off by our Gov and then the tripple handover that has occurred where investors have leeched it dry for profits .

Going forward ill try to keep quiet on Eircom topics . Its just so bloody hard , I ve carried these notions since i was a youngster tis hard to let it go . (Queue frozen music).

Hopefully those dark fibers will start being put to good use , Good times for KN.

I feel that way about UPC a terrible company to deal with. Getting a repair guy that doesn't speak gruntese is a miracle in itself.

Have to say I was very impressed with the Sierra lads. Had 2 in for install, another two for fault, then their supervisor and finally a guy in for a set top replacement. All were pretty on the mark.

SpaceTime wrote: »
    Virgin (Liberty Global UK brand i.e. same parent as UPC) announced a huge build-out in the UK today. So, I'm guessing they'll be upgrading the old Virgin media network to support similar speeds to the network here and elsewhere.

I think BT's in for a shock

Wow, thanks for proving my point there. Clearly there is room in the urban market for two physical networks.

I wonder if the ESB/Vodafone stop or delay their FTTH rollout, if UPC Ireland might do the same here. Expand into urban areas they don't currently serve?
    jca wrote: »
    I feel that way about UPC a terrible company to deal with. Getting a repair guy that doesn't speak gruntese is a miracle in itself.

Note, I think UPC uses third party contractors.

Pretty much exactly the same as Eircom, Vodafone, etc. They all use the same companies and people. So I wouldn't expect much difference at this end.

Wow, thanks for proving my point there. Clearly there is room in the urban market for two physical networks.

I wonder if the ESB/Vodafone stop or delay their FTTH rollout, if UPC Ireland might do the same here. Expand into urban areas they don't currently serve?

Note, I think UPC uses third party contractors.

Pretty much exactly the same as Eircom, Vodafone, etc. They all use the same companies and people. So I wouldn't expect much difference at this end.

Oh God its a dreaded multi quoter. When I was with UPC they used their own "technicians". Maybe it has changed since but tbh I couldn't give a rats arse because they're a joke of a company that will never have my business ever again.

Oh God its a dreaded multi quoter. When I was with UPC they used their own "technicians". Maybe it has changed since but tbh I couldn't give a rats arse because they're a joke of a company that will never have my business ever again.

MOD: jca, remember attack the post, not the poster. First rule of boards, you have been warned. Also off topic for this thread.

Sure a company who invests 500 million in Ireland building a world class broadband network, with some of the fastest speeds in the world, at very reasonable cost, is a joke! :rolleyes:

MOD: jca, remember attack the post, not the poster. First rule of boards, you have been warned. Also off topic for this thread.

Sure a company who invests 500 million in Ireland building a world class broadband network, with some of the fastest speeds in the world, at very reasonable cost, is a joke! :rolleyes:

Not in my area anyway. UPC in its various guises has been here since the 70s. The amount of sky dishes around shows that I'm not the only one who's left them, it all adds up. My mother in law who's been a loyal UPC customer since it first arrived is jumping ship for saorview/fta purely on reliability grounds, another one gone....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

Not in my area anyway. UPC in its various guises has been here since the 70s. The amount of sky dishes around shows that I'm not the only one who's left them, it all adds up. My mother in law who's been a loyal UPC customer since it first arrived is jumping ship for saorview/fta purely on reliability grounds, another one gone....

Why are you focusing on TV? This is the broadband forum

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Round this area (Ashbourne), they're a serious sick joke, the cable network is still using the same outdated and inappropriate technology that it was using in 1990 when it was Ashbourne Relays, before Chorus took it over and made an even bigger mess of it before being swallowed up by UPC.

The only thing that's changed in the 25 years is the location of the head end, and the manner in which it gets the signal that they then redistribute, using VHF analog repeaters.

So, a lot of the modern TV's that are sold by places like DID, Power City and the like won't work properly on the UPC cable system, Sky 1 is so low down the frequency band, most sets can't find it. There are all manner of interference problems, wide screen and 4:3 switching is a joke, and for years, things like stereo sound have not worked, which is why there is such a massive uptake of Sky in this area. So yes, if you have the misfortune to be stuck with the out of date and badly maintained systems that are still supposedly part of the UPC offering, they are a joke. Oh, and as for broadband, they have nothing in this area at all, so yes, as far as I am concerned, they are an even bigger joke, given they could have put fibre in to Ashbourne from Swords when Bord Gais put a trench over from Swords to bring gas to the area, and at the time, they had a very advanced fibre system running in Swords.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Advertisement

Round this area (Ashbourne), they're a serious sick joke, the cable network is still using the same outdated and inappropriate technology that it was using in 1990 when it was Ashbourne Relays, before Chorus took it over and made an even bigger mess of it before being swallowed up by UPC.

The only thing that's changed in the 25 years is the location of the head end, and the manner in which it gets the signal that they then redistribute, using VHF analog repeaters.

So, a lot of the modern TV's that are sold by places like DID, Power City and the like won't work properly on the UPC cable system, Sky 1 is so low down the frequency band, most sets can't find it. There are all manner of interference problems, wide screen and 4:3 switching is a joke, and for years, things like stereo sound have not worked, which is why there is such a massive uptake of Sky in this area. So yes, if you have the misfortune to be stuck with the out of date and badly maintained systems that are still supposedly part of the UPC offering, they are a joke. Oh, and as for broadband, they have nothing in this area at all, so yes, as far as I am concerned, they are an even bigger joke, given they could have put fibre in to Ashbourne from Swords when Bord Gais put a trench over from Swords to bring gas to the area, and at the time, they had a very advanced fibre system running in Swords.

You're spot on there. They could have brought fibre alongside the railway when the new rail was laid a few years ago but weren't interested.

Advertisement