Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SIRO - ESB/Vodafone Fibre To The Home

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,448 ✭✭✭Nollog

Azhrei wrote: »
    You mean down along the deep water quay? There is some serious work going on down there alright, I assumed at first it was initial construction on the new marina but as far as I know it's too far down to be that. I did see two KN vans pulling away from the site a few weeks ago, I managed to catch one before it left and asked the guys inside if they were working on something for the ESB in the area. They said they weren't.

I don't know anything about a new pole, but I did see the large pipes that you did. Who knows what's going on there.

Is a marina wood on top of water?
    I'm a tipperary man these things are foreign :pac:

Because I saw them building something like that between some restaurant and the tourist place. Probably just storing the construction materials further down.
    murphaph wrote: »
    Basically you have no idea if there will even be a cap. It's a totally different product and Vodafone will "be on the customer side" insofar as Eirsom is on the customer side with VDSL...they are just a reseller (their retail arm) of the wholesale product.

Sure, but Vodafone have brought in usage caps more than once on their broadband products, sometimes when eircom's was unlimited, other times when sure you can blame eircom. Not always though.
    bk wrote: »
    Neither are UPC. UPC also pretty much rebuilt their entire network to support DOCSIS 3.0 and the high speeds we see today. They ran new fiber to pretty much every street in Dublin. New HFC cabs and even new coaxial cable run to every home that supports much higher bandwidth levels!

UPC was as big a build out and cost about the same, 500 million, as ESB's FTTH build. So they should be relatively equivalent.

The vast majority of the cost of building either network is in the labour and civils. More then 80% of the cost. FTTH versus HFC makes almost no cost difference.
    Sure, and now UPC are re-structuring :'(
    I had 15mbit UPC at the start, I believe it cost less than 240mbit now
    It got really expensive for a while on was it 150 or 200mbit?
    I moved before it came down in price to a non-UPC area unfortunately.

I'm trying to illustrate the cost was similar/the same for a much slower speed because of the investment they had to make on the network.
    Do you see ESBT offering 250mbit instead of gigabit at the start?
    I didn't expect gigbit day 1, but I believe they said somewhere that's what they were doing.

a no-name chinese ONT is about $100
    ^ OLT is about $2,000
    ^ splitters at $10/piece if you get 10,000 of them ($30 each otherwise)

Network's gonna be expensive, so expect a company to charge you a lot is what I'm saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

I suppose it depends what the company's strategy is. If it's to gain market share, then you charge as little as you possibly can. My own employer is considering giving machines away for free (that otherwise cost 10k) because of a particular business model that may make even MORE money for us. On the face of it it doesn't make sense, but might make money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭dbit

/\/ollog wrote: »
    Is a marina wood on top of water?
    I'm a tipperary man these things are foreign :pac:

Because I saw them building something like that between some restaurant and the tourist place. Probably just storing the construction materials further down.

Sure, but Vodafone have brought in usage caps more than once on their broadband products, sometimes when eircom's was unlimited, other times when sure you can blame eircom. Not always though.

Sure, and now UPC are re-structuring :'(
    I had 15mbit UPC at the start, I believe it cost less than 240mbit now
    It got really expensive for a while on was it 150 or 200mbit?
    I moved before it came down in price to a non-UPC area unfortunately.

I'm trying to illustrate the cost was similar/the same for a much slower speed because of the investment they had to make on the network.
    Do you see ESBT offering 250mbit instead of gigabit at the start?
    I didn't expect gigbit day 1, but I believe they said somewhere that's what they were doing.

a no-name chinese ONT is about $100
    ^ OLT is about $2,000
    ^ splitters at $10/piece if you get 10,000 of them ($30 each otherwise)

Network's gonna be expensive, so expect a company to charge you a lot is what I'm saying.

Damn your powers of reasoning , i reject your reality and replace it with my own. I hope to god they opt to absorb the costs on the majority of factors as it will see them take ownership and lead the way in this if successfull.

UPc networks are pretty amazing in terms of speeds and non issuance of caps , True they built the network up from old chorus and westward multichannel ( and various other cable operators around Ireland) , but as pointed out above they have HAD to replace alot of the last mile for most towns due to the coax being degraded and not up to perfrom in the docsis 3.0 freq ranges. IF ESB vodafone manage to trump the performance and i have no doubt they will, I dont think i can see a mass exodus as most users bar the few that hang out in here wont really give a **** about it once they have already got a stable 70 -100 -240 MB connection . The win factor here will have to ulimatley come from pricing to draw customers to them. I am already in my head imagining the advertsing campaign . Price is the only avenue ESB Voda will have in terms of penetration of homes and uptake of the packages they will offer.

Would be nice if they did take the hit.

Personally I like to expect the worst and hope for the best.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

I see a lot more people giving out about UPC's network stability of late, myself included. Speeds appear to be fluctuating wildly. If ESB/Vodafone can offer a solid/stable connection, I believe you'll see a lot of people switch, even at additional cost/month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Vodafone have now removed the 300GB limit from all their plans.

Where did you see this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭dalta5billion

Where did you see this?

The fair use policy of 300GB will be removed from all broadband plans.

They posted over in their TalkTo forum about the price changes.

I see a lot more people giving out about UPC's network stability of late, myself included. Speeds appear to be fluctuating wildly. If ESB/Vodafone can offer a solid/stable connection, I believe you'll see a lot of people switch, even at additional cost/month.

Ye gamers i know in Dublin still on it seem to be having an awful time possibly the extra channels being turned on to facilitate the 20MB upload , and then there are the dodgy cmts units spread around the place that have had a constant replacement regime since UPC took over the cable networks. Honestly when i had them the 120MB connection was rock solid never a glitch, bar gaming going wacky with 3-4 or more users in an xbox live party all on upc . Investigated the crap out of it with my friends about a year ago and unless using a diagnostic modem you wont find anything usefull. Dodgy screw on F-connectors and nat problems where the top of what i found. Those findings are not really the responsibility of upc all client side . Often wondered if there was more too it , now it seems there is . ( Very off topic sorry lads).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

Can anyone say whether there is sufficient capacity out there to actually fulfill two large scale plans like the ESB/Vodaphone one and the NBP.

Wondering about this as an explanation for the delay in the rollout. KN might be reluctant to contract for it until they know the NBP outcome.

• Advertisement

KOR101 wrote: »
    Can anyone say whether there is sufficient capacity out there to actually fulfill two large scale plans like the ESB/Vodaphone one and the NBP.

Wondering about this as an explanation for the delay in the rollout. KN might be reluctant to contract for it until they know the NBP outcome.

I would assume, given eircom have lines up in rural ireland for the most part, that any incentive from the NBP would be issued regardless of the supplier having the capability to service the area already, or be in the business already.

I don't think any of the areas ESBT is coming to in phase 1 is anything near NBP's rural regardless.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

The thing is, the ESB have to price this at least the same if not better then the existing competitors, otherwise their is no point going ahead at all as I believe no one would sign up for it.

I think they will need to have a product that looks at most like this:

- 250Mb/s for €50 with free install (that puts them in the same ball park as Eircom and Sky, but undercut by Vodafone).

It's only selling point then is better speed for same money, which can be a hard sell for many, "normal" users already happy with the speed they are getting being good enough for them.

If they can do the above for €40, even better, then it can sell on both being cheaper AND faster, like UPC does. A much easier sell.

Sure they can have a "premium" 1Gb/s product for €60 that might interest techies. But if their cheapest product starts at €60 or has a high install cost, then forget about it, they might as well not even bother because most people won't sign up for it. Not when most of those people will already have cheaper "good enough" ~50Mb/s VDSL.

/\/ollog, while yes UPC's speeds were obviously much lower when they first started out, they were actually a multiple of about x5 faster then Eircoms speeds.

In fact UPC's product positioning has always been multiple times faster then Eircom's fastest AND cheaper. And that has been very successful for UPC and has helped them gain 50% of the market.

And I believe ESB needs to do the same, if it wants to win similar market share.

And perhaps that is the reason for the delay. Perhaps they have found the rollout cots to be higher then they expected and thus they can't price it as so and therefore no point in rolling out! I hope I'm wrong about this part.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

I'd pay 60 euro if it meant I got quicker speeds that FTTC

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Mc Love wrote: »

You and I would *, as would many people on this forum.

But the vast majority of the general public won't and you and I don't make a business plan!

* I say that, but I'm not sure that is even true for me! I was previously on UPC 120 for €44 and wouldn't pay the extra €10 for 200Mb/s as I didn't think I'd see a real world difference. I only upgraded to 240Mb/s when they dropped the price to €45

So even for an extreme techy and heavy user like myself, there is still a certain amount of price sensitivity.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Mc Love wrote: »
    Yeah but you read and post on the broadband forum on boards....not your average broadband user!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

I get what you're saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

I see esb are looking for 300 apprentice network technicians, anyone think it could be related to this?

Probably not actually. It's going to be phased over 5 years.

guil wrote: »
    I see esb are looking for 300 apprentice network technicians, anyone think it could be related to this?

Probably not actually. It's going to be phased over 5 years.

Teee Heee

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭skydish79

Seen a lot of vans from a company called ipOne working in ardee county louth today

http://www.ipone.ie/

Seem to be working where the esb were digging up the footpaths

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

skydish79 wrote: »
    Seen a lot of vans from a company called ipOne working in ardee county louth today

http://www.ipone.ie/

Seem to be working where the esb were digging up the footpaths

UPC and Digiweb amongst their customers .. interesting

• Advertisement

UPC and Digiweb amongst their customers .. interesting
    Did digiweb not buy out smart telecom ? If i think waaay back im sure smart telecom were blowing the pants off any other pstn provisioned broadband service. Great find OP , now im looking for three companies at forecourts, car washes and in genreal shopping center car parks with an "Excuse me sir" ........... ahem ahem.

Anyone recomend a nice satellite town around cork with Fiber ?? (Not Macroom)

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭skydish79

Ipone only installing broadband for the business's in ardee town

dbit wrote: »
    Did digiweb not buy out smart telecom ? If i think waaay back im sure smart telecom were blowing the pants off any other pstn provisioned broadband service. Great find OP , now im looking for three companies at forecourts, car washes and in genreal shopping center car parks with an "Excuse me sir" ........... ahem ahem.

Anyone recomend a nice satellite town around cork with Fiber ?? (Not Macroom)
    I believe so.
    I remember I was about to get smart and then they did away with their unlimited cap or something. :'(
    bk wrote: »
    The thing is, the ESB have to price this at least the same if not better then the existing competitors, otherwise their is no point going ahead at all as I believe no one would sign up for it.

They could do 18 month contracts I guess instead of charging for an install.
    Or maybe focus heavily on multiplaying us.

There's a load of options they can take to lower their risk/cost so I don't have to pay them a lump sum up front.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭raytaxi

Ipone installing fibre to the premise's for the business's in Ardee was told this by a shop owner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

raytaxi wrote: »
    Ipone installing fibre to the premise's for the business's in Ardee was told this by a shop owner.

Fibre as in FTTH or fibre as in vdsl?

No disrespect to ardee but there is no business in it to warrant FTTH

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MajesticDonkey

No disrespect to ardee but there is no business in it to warrant FTTH
    I'm sorry, but who the fook are you to say it should or shouldn't have FTTH? Me having FTTH in my own home is not warranted, but if it was available I would be the first signed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

I'm sorry, but who the fook are you to say it should or shouldn't have FTTH? Me having FTTH in my own home is not warranted, but if it was available I would be the first signed up.

Don't be sorry, it's a kip of a town and I'm trying to understand why a company would invest in infrastructure that the locals have no use for

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Neither does Belcarra! They pick small/medium size towns as test areas for these things when in trials. Work out all the kinks. Ardee are their beta testers, like Cavan has been used by both sides.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭raytaxi

My understanding is that its true fibre to premises, As an a-side anglo irish beef head office is on the main street in ardee. Think the buisnesses got this arranged themselves or the idea was local chamber of commerce.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Perhaps it's to entice new businesses and create jobs in the area? How about remote working/telecommuting?

My father had no use for internet other than email. Dial up would still suit him fine today, except I had broadband installed a number of years ago.
    He uses it daily now for all sorts - news, email, tv, youtube, banking, music streaming, cookery forums and in particular Skype for his grand kids.

Stop being so short sighted and start looking at how proper decent broadband can open up communities to endless possibilities.
    Don't be sorry, it's a kip of a town and I'm trying to understand why a company would invest in infrastructure that the locals have no use for

Advertisement