Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SIRO - ESB/Vodafone Fibre To The Home

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

GPON in Ardee. Plenty of businesses have signed up for it already. It wouldn't have gone ahead if there wasn't interest.
    The majority of the infrastructure was there, Ardee has had a MAN for a long time.

http://www.independent.ie/regionals/droghedaindependent/news/deadline-looms-for-ardee-firms-to-sign-up-for-fibre-30592763.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

yuloni wrote: »

Yep, correct and right. It's a joint effort between enet and Ripple.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭rob808

roast wrote: »
    Yep, correct and right. It's a joint effort between enet and Ripple.
    Ripple are a wireless company wouldn't FTTP hurt them.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

rob808 wrote: »
    Ripple are a wireless company wouldn't FTTP hurt them.
    If it's them doing it? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

murphaph wrote: »
    If it's them doing it? :confused:

Why wouldn't it be, the WISPS already work with eNet and it's the perfect transition for them, they already have a core network and servers in place, just a different last mile.

Why wouldn't it be, the WISPS already work with eNet and it's the perfect transition for them, they already have a core network and servers in place, just a different last mile.
    So what your saying they offer the business FTTP product to them make sense wondering would It be the same if NBP did FTTH wireless company could offer there product over the network of course that if that ever happens fingers cross :).

• Registered Users Posts: 1 IanOR007

From what I hear, customers are getting nearly 1GB down ( just under the gig and this is to the modem, obviously if you have an older device with a crappie network card a speed test won't reflect this) and 200MB up. can't wait until it is rolled out ðŸ˜႒.
    Also on accessibility, as far as I am aware it will be fiber cabling using ESB poles so getting these speeds to rural areas should be much easier as the infrastructure is already there.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

You misunderstood. My point was that it'll hardly hurt them seeing as they are the ones rolling it out. I see my response could be interpreted 2 ways lol. I meant it the other way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

rob808 wrote: »
    So what your saying they offer the business FTTP product to them make sense wondering would It be the same if NBP did FTTH wireless company could offer there product over the network of course that if that ever happens fingers cross :).

Yes, I know one WISP working to be able to offer their services on an open FTTH network. They need to, otherwise they'll just disappear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Wonder if this JV and eircom will provide 10Ge CPE for those that want it, or allow users to BYOD. Its a minor difference but you'll never get that last 5% without. Id fork out for a 10Gig pci card if they would.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭dbit

ED E wrote: »
    Wonder if this JV and eircom will provide 10Ge CPE for those that want it, or allow users to BYOD. Its a minor difference but you'll never get that last 5% without. Id fork out for a 10Gig pci card if they would.

FAP FAP FAP ! as would I.

Is thre any public facing information to back this up ? i may have missed it ?

ED and BK had posted something a while back about possible delays , im not sure . There have been reports dotted around the nominated 50 towns. Reports of fibre runs being strung up on poles around those area's but nothing further ( As far as i am aware ) The lads would be more in-tune than me though.

I had not heard of any issues with the cavan trials only suggestions to the fact that possibly the test rated speeds ( 900mb +) would not be made available to all and pricing tiers may affect speed sets/offerings ??.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I don't have any inside information about delays or any idea of roll out schedule.

Things do seem to have gone quiet, but that is all the info I have.

My only info an any of the ESB stuff is just that they're a bit behind. Eircom started their GPON stuff more than 2 years ago, from what I've gleamed here ESB have been trialling for a lot shorter period.

ESB Telecoms have kept the whole thing close to their chest, so we probably wont know much at all until they decide to publish more press releases.

I still see manpower being a big thing, you cant train somebody to blow and splice fibre well over night and their own teams have only been responsible for maintaining one main ring thats elevated and unlikely to require many hands to maintain. Eircom on the other hand have a much larger mesh network that runs under public roads etc and subject to damage etc, and theyve provided FTTB for yonks. They will definitely need more personnel, KN or otherwise (theyre hiring 350 new staff) to do installs but the base of expertise and fleet equipment is much stronger, or should be.

My only info an any of the ESB stuff is just that they're a bit behind. Eircom started their GPON stuff more than 2 years ago, from what I've gleamed here ESB have been trialling for a lot shorter period.

ESB Telecoms have kept the whole thing close to their chest, so we probably wont know much at all until they decide to publish more press releases.

I still see manpower being a big thing, you cant train somebody to blow and splice fibre well over night and their own teams have only been responsible for maintaining one main ring thats elevated and unlikely to require many hands to maintain. Eircom on the other hand have a much larger mesh network that runs under public roads etc and subject to damage etc, and theyve provided FTTB for yonks. They will definitely need more personnel, KN or otherwise (theyre hiring 350 new staff) to do installs but the base of expertise and fleet equipment is much stronger, or should be.

Cannot disagree with a single word of this .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭ClonNGB

All gone very quiet on this ? Have the ESB got cold feet ?

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭JD6910

where are the 350 jobs advertised|???

JD6910 wrote: »
    where are the 350 jobs advertised|???

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=eircom+announce+jobs

Was that so hard?

ESB Jobs ?? or are we crossing threads ?

dbit wrote: »
    ESB Jobs ?? or are we crossing threads ?
    There Eircom jobs.

"They will definitely need more personnel, KN or otherwise (theyre hiring 350 new staff) to do installs but the base of expertise and fleet equipment is much stronger, or should be."

Above is commenting on ESB prospective jobs not eircom and this is the ESB thread ? Reference is for ESB not eircom.

dbit wrote: »
    "They will definitely need more personnel, KN or otherwise (theyre hiring 350 new staff) to do installs but the base of expertise and fleet equipment is much stronger, or should be."

Above is commenting on ESB prospective jobs not eircom and this is the ESB thread ? Reference is for ESB not eircom.

DBIT in context it makes sense, least I think it does
    Eircom on the other hand have a much larger mesh network that runs under public roads etc and subject to damage etc, and theyve provided FTTB for yonks. They(eircom as per above) will definitely need more personnel, KN or otherwise (theyre hiring 350 new staff) to do installs but the base of expertise and fleet equipment is much stronger, or should be.

TLDR: Eircom have far more, but still need even more, thus ESB have a long long way to go unless they pick up sierra or somebody.

ye probably just me and my backwards man thinking !! wasnt looking to nit pic . LMGTFY returns nadda at all for esb jobs though. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭BullBauld

Hi all
    Question for ye, apologies if asked previously.

I'm contemplating getting broadband into the house. It's a newish house built a few years.

The phoneline has never been connected, it's wired to the house and pole alright, just not connected.

My question is if I contact Vodafone about getting braodband off them would they connect me up if I agreed to go with them or would they tell me to get onto Eircom?

Anyone have previous experience of trying this?

Thanks

• Advertisement

BullBauld wrote: »
    Hi all
    Question for ye, apologies if asked previously.

I'm contemplating getting broadband into the house. It's a newish house built a few years.

The phoneline has never been connected, it's wired to the house and pole alright, just not connected.

My question is if I contact Vodafone about getting braodband off them would they connect me up if I agreed to go with them or would they tell me to get onto Eircom?

Anyone have previous experience of trying this?

Thanks
    Eircom will patch it rest will be vodafone.

Advertisement