Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SIRO - ESB/Vodafone Fibre To The Home

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭BullBauld

dbit wrote: »
    Eircom will patch it rest will be vodafone.

For the ignorant, patch it?
    Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭dbit

Patching basically means:- the act of terminating the wire (or medium)to a device that can do something with it.

Eircom own the lines and exchanges so they will be asked to terminate the connection . Some people say if not with eircom it takes longer and i can certainly vouch for that notion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Avada

BullBauld wrote: »
    For the ignorant, patch it?
    Thanks

Contact Vodafone, they will place the necessary orders with Eircom Wholesale.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Azhrei

Why is there a query - and answers - about getting a dsl connection in here?

On-topic, still no news on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

I heard from someone that works with the esb that the trails did not go as expected (contrary to what has been posted on here)

The problem seems to be damaged fibres on the poles, possibly caused by movement from wind. Seems the problem is not isolated but network wide

• Advertisement

I heard from someone that works with the esb that the trails did not go as expected (contrary to what has been posted on here)

The problem seems to be damaged fibers on the poles, possibly caused by movement from wind. Seems the problem is not isolated but network wide

Looking at what i saw in Clonmel , I thought the very same thing , that it would be very easy to tamper or mess with it let alone have the fibre runs sustain Irish weather . Hope its not true as they are robust shielded cables with plenty of strength within them selves. Unless the eircom fairies have been out to look at them, unofficially tee hee . In saying that it would be very easy to disrupt the service if not in underground ducts. :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

The problem seems to be damaged fibres on the poles, possibly caused by movement from wind. Seems the problem is not isolated but network wide

I brought up the same potential problem back in 2013 when the ESB made their first announcement but I was alone. I still think it's going to be an ongoing problem.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=87079757&postcount=107

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭ukoda

kaizersoze wrote: »
    I brought up the same potential problem back in 2013 when the ESB made their first announcement but I was alone. I still think it's going to be an ongoing problem.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=87079757&postcount=107

Eircoms phone lines seem to do ok, why would a fibre cable on a pole be any different

ukoda wrote: »
    Eircoms phone lines seem to do ok, why would a fibre cable on a pole be any different

copper bends easier than Glass ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

I heard the exact same but not direct from an ESB employee but from an Eircom engineer who's involved in the Eircom trials.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

Is Eircom's technology not more tried and tested? I thought the ESB's plan was a first, for Europe at least. I could easily be wrong......

At the end of the day, a wire is a wire and we've had them on poles for decades, be it copper or fibre they are well protected, this surely can't be a new issue?

And im pretty sure fibre is as flexible as copper.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Yuloni Belcara is only the newest trial, ftth is running a lot longer in the previous trial areas, but its urban / suburban and thus mostly underground. And you can see from the videos the run lengths in belcara arent that long.

Problem with optical access is its all or nothing. A bad piece of copper and you get slow speeds or noise. One bad splice or one crack and ALL traffic stops, it goes dead. And you can't do a classic eircom patch job repair either, has to be properly spliced and re-aligned. They'll need to make sure its resiliant as repairs will be twice as time consuming.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,019 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Difficult to believe that ESB got it wrong .... they have extensive experience running fibre on their HV lines ..... did they try to cut corners in specs or something?

Difficult to believe that ESB got it wrong .... they have extensive experience running fibre on their HV lines ..... did they try to cut corners in specs or something?

Well we don't have anything offical to say it is a problem yet, only word of mouth, and these things tend to get blown out of proportion, one incident could cause a guy to rant to another guy and suddenly the whole network is in shambles according to the next guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Well we don't have anything offical to say it is a problem yet, only word of mouth, and these things tend to get blown out of proportion, one incident could cause a guy to rant to another guy and suddenly the whole network is in shambles according to the next guy.

While that may be true, it definitely looks like something fundamental has gone pear shaped whether technically or financially.

It is incredibly easy to snap a fibre, i have done it years ago while trying to coil a loose run up in an effort to tidy coms rooms cables , being well aware of the curvature tolerance the mofo still snapped on me.

I dont think this is actually a contributor as Fiber on pole is something that is running over a lot of cities around Europe , it looks messy as hell in some pictures you can find on google but this is how some metro areas are doing it .

• Advertisement

~Take a look at this mess and lots of cities manage to bend the **** out of those fibers and not opt for expensive sub terrain ducting. ****s been around for years

ESB's latest news from the Government states that the light at the end of the fiber has been turned off due to some wind , and rain , and bad language being used on Boards referencing the ESB's rollout.

I dont believe for a second that its been hampered on the scale suggested by the competitor's Engineers statements .

Small mention of the fibre partnership in ESB's annual accounts published today, nothing new just mentioned they are rolling out a fibre networks with VF to 50 towns

EDIT: also got to find out the partnership is called Evolve, was set up as a subsidiary of ESB then Vodafone acquired 50% on approval of the venture

• Registered Users Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭Nollog

esb have been playing in holes around the corner(Victoria Road) from "the great building" in cork city the past few weeks.

I saw them putting yellow cable under the road and stuff like that

It's more likely something else, but at least it's not a "internet called off due to wind" post :pac:

/\/ollog wrote: »
    esb have been playing in holes around the corner form "the great building" in cork city the past few weeks.

I saw them putting yellow cable under the road and stuff like that

It's more likely something else, but at least it's not a "internet called it off due to wind" post :pac:

Rotflmaocopter !

kaizersoze wrote: »
    While that may be true, it definitely looks like something fundamental has gone pear shaped whether technically or financially.

They began to roll out just over 2 months ago , Jesus we are a demanding Bunch aren't we ? tee hee . I did see the lines being strung up on poles in Clonmel one of the 50 towns listed. In that we cannot visibly see the rollout happening in any great capacity i can understand the suspicions .

Small mention of the fibre partnership in ESB's annual accounts published today, nothing new just mentioned they are rolling out a fibre networks with VF to 50 towns

EDIT: also got to find out the partnership is called Evolve, was set up as a subsidiary of ESB then Vodafone acquired 50% on approval of the venture

Page 15 - "Fibre / Telecoms - Joint venture established with Vodafone and commencing commercial operations"
    Page 44 says it again, and saying they're looking at NBP stuff.

I stopped manually looking here, and just serached for evolve

Page 99 - "Fair value (non-cash) gain on loss of control of subsidiary
    ESB plans to deliver high capacity Fibre to the Building (FTTB) network to homes and businesses in selected urban locations across the Republic of Ireland
    through an innovative joint venture agreement with Vodafone Ireland Limited. The joint venture will begin rolling out the fibre network across Ireland through
    a special purpose vehicle, Evolve Structuring Services Limited (Evolve). Prior to the joint venture agreement, Evolve was a 100% subsidiary of ESB. At the
    date of the joint venture agreement, Vodafone acquired a 50% interest in Evolve and a loss of control event occurred for ESB. Accordingly, the Group has
    recorded its remaining 50% equity investment at fair value which gave rise to a non-cash gain of €93.7 million (refer to note 12 for further details)."

Page 108 - "ESB has committed to provide capital funding to Evolve amounting
    to €85.0 million over the next 5 years"

I gave up completely here.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,805 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Page 108 - "ESB has committed to provide capital funding to Evolve amounting
    to €85.0 million over the next 5 years"

I wonder is that total for 5 years or per year?

bk wrote: »
    I wonder is that total for 5 years or per year?

I'd say 85 over the 5 years total, and probably another 85 from vodafone in the same period.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,805 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I'd say 85 over the 5 years total, and probably another 85 from vodafone in the same period.

Not much considering the ESB themselves say it will cost 450million to rollout to 500,000 homes.

I'd say it is 85 * 5 = 425 million

Advertisement