Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SIRO - ESB/Vodafone Fibre To The Home

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭ukoda

bk wrote: »
    Not much considering the ESB themselves say it will cost 450million to rollout to 500,000 homes.

I'd say it is 85 * 5 = 425 million

Vodafone will be stumping up money too tho

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

/\/ollog wrote: »
    Page 108 - "ESB has committed to provide capital funding to Evolve amounting
    to €85.0 million over the next 5 years".
    The way a company would work is that it has committed to the 50 towns, so it commits funding for that. Further funding would only be committed once further firm plans are made.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭mobil 222

There are routes that eircom have used fibre on poles.
    Some of them are over 15 years old and are used to connect exchanges
    Kiltyclogher - Rossinver, Ballymote - Tubercurry

So I cant see the ESB having problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

This is why you have trials though. They'll have to find the most suitable material and plant that likes Ireland's climate.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

mobil 222 wrote: »
    There are routes that eircom have used fibre on poles.
    Some of them are over 15 years old and are used to connect exchanges
    Kiltyclogher - Rossinver, Ballymote - Tubercurry

So I cant see the ESB having problems.

The difference is for backhaul fibre both Eircom and the ESB are probably using much heavier, more shielded and thus expensive cables.

They might have went with a cheaper quality of cable for the last mile FTTH installs and found from the trial that it was insufficient for Irish conditions.

Now that is purely speculation on my part based on what people are saying on this thread, I've zero knowledge of the ESB FTTH operation.

If the above was true, it doesn't necessarily mean the rollout is cancelled. Just delayed while they find a new supplier or get higher grade cable from their existing supplier and trial these new cables.

Of course if they found the cost of rolling it out was much higher then previously predicted, then they might opt not to proceed. I hope that isn't the case.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭dbit

Guys have a look at my pics over on this page http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057262696&page=26

I do not believe now they are ESB runs more like Eircom suspended runs ? I put them in eircom DF section as i think the poles look more eircom owned >?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

dbit wrote: »
    Guys have a look at my pics over on this page http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057262696&page=26

I do not believe now they are ESB runs more like Eircom suspended runs ? I put them in eircom DF section as i think the poles look more eircom owned >?

I would concur that they are not ESB as there is clearly an ESB power line crossing almost perpendicular in one of the pics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

Eircom poles have foot pegs, ESB don't

MMFITWGDV wrote: »
    I would concur that they are not ESB as there is clearly an ESB power line crossing almost perpendicular in one of the pics.

They're not power lines, you can see an eircom overhead drop to a house coming off one of them.

Well in an attempt to quieten the suspicions of dodgy fiber provisioning see here KN at this project with ESB since 2010 some minor pics and a little report on the safety record which is nice.
    http://knnetworkservices.com/projects/telecoms/fixed/maintenance-and-extension-of-aerial-fibre-optic-network/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Well in an attempt to quieten the suspicions of dodgy fiber provisioning see here KN at this project with ESB since 2010 some minor pics and a little report on the safety record which is nice.
    http://knnetworkservices.com/projects/telecoms/fixed/maintenance-and-extension-of-aerial-fibre-optic-network/

That's their trunk network. Different ball game.

kaizersoze wrote: »
    That's their trunk network. Different ball game.

Ok i do understand the grade of cable and safety requirements are different , I am only pointing out they have been accosted to roll out high grade national fiber networks/ infrastructure and typically do not succumb to using fishing line and milk cartons as per the suggestion here that the correct grades of cable have not been used in ESB trials . Of the 300 homes testing this in Cavan we have not yet even had one report from that user base indicating outages or roll out delays and problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,448 ✭✭✭Nollog

esb have been playing in holes around the corner(Victoria Road) from "the great building" in cork city the past few weeks.

I saw them putting yellow cable under the road and stuff like that

It's more likely something else, but at least it's not a "internet called off due to wind" post :pac:

I took these, but never thought to upload them.
    http://imgur.com/2RCFtu7,AsEYwbn,hWMcvaA
    bonus picture of a tank engine.

These guys came out of an ESB van, and about a week after adding/new cement on an ESB ground-hole.

After seeing what eircom's fibre looks like, maybe it was ESB fibre.

I took these, but never thought to upload them.
    http://imgur.com/2RCFtu7,AsEYwbn,hWMcvaA
    bonus picture of a tank engine.

These guys came out of an ESB van, and about a week after adding/new cement on an ESB ground-hole.

After seeing what eircom's fibre looks like, maybe it was ESB fibre.

Yup deff a fiber run could you tell if it was ESB owned manholes ? Lovin the train !. Just round the corner from the idle hour and the sextant ?

Could be any number of fibre networks around that area, if that's where I think it is : Albert Road / Near Cork City Centre Docks ?

Fibre networks in the ground in Cork City:

Eircom, UPC, ESB (Existing), Cork City Council MAN, BT Ireland, ESB Telecoms (not necessarily to do with FTTH - they've a long-standing fibre network that is used by other carriers for backhaul) and there may well be others too.

Without seeing the branding, nobody really knows as they all look rather similar. Fibre's fibre.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

This post has been deleted.

Yup deff a fiber run could you tell if it was ESB owned manholes ? Lovin the train !. Just round the corner from the idle hour and the sextant ?

yeah, sounds right.
    The sextant is the pub with the christmas tree hanging out a window, right?

I'll be walking home in a few hours, i'll check.
    The men were ESB folk, their van, and a man-hole they were working on a few days before that were too.

This was in late February or early-March, to be clear.

SpaceTime wrote: »
    Could be any number of fibre networks around that area, if that's where I think it is : Albert Road / Near Cork City Centre Docks ?

Fibre networks in the ground in Cork City:

Eircom, UPC, ESB (Existing), Cork City Council MAN, BT Ireland, ESB Telecoms (not necessarily to do with FTTH - they've a long-standing fibre network that is used by other carriers for backhaul) and there may well be others too.

Without seeing the branding, nobody really knows as they all look rather similar. Fibre's fibre.

Yes the docks and river would be to the rear of the photographer in the shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

SpaceTime wrote: »
    They're not power lines, you can see an eircom overhead drop to a house coming off one of them.

Dude - I said that they didn't appear to be power lines ... Because there is an ESB line crossing perpendicular to these lines in the piccy IMG_20150406_180510.jpg - you can see a transformer on the pole to the left. :D

MMFITWGDV wrote: »
    Dude - I said that they didn't appear to be power lines ... Because there is an ESB line crossing perpendicular to these lines in the piccy IMG_20150406_180510.jpg - you can see a transformer on the pole to the left. :D

That wouldn't rule out two sets of ESB lines tho. 20kV and three phase 230V/400V 4 wire stacks are commonly seen near by.

The dead giveaway is that it's new and ESB no longer use those 4-wire stack distribution systems. They probably stopped using them in the 1960s/70s in favour of quadruplex (big heavy plat of 4 wires).

It's very neatly wired though which is unusual for telecommunications overhead lines ... They must be using the same kind of tensioning techniques that power lines have always used to prevent the fibre from being damaged by movement.

• Advertisement

The other thing to bear in mind is that various people will be talking down this project.

I don't mean at official level necessarily but you'll always get the classic taxi driver style urban legends developing. You'll get people working for competitors deliberately taking it down but also just negative people who think it's too good to be true.

The holes they were putting the wires into in the pictures were NDP-marked. Not specifically ESB or Eircom or anyone's.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

The holes they were putting the wires into in the pictures were NDP-marked. Not specifically ESB or Eircom or anyone's.

That's the MAN. State owned.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

yuloni wrote: »

Yes, Eircom are doing a fantastic job of promoting their services recently, which is very refreshing compared to the secretive Eircom of the past and I believe they can gain greatly from this.

The ESB could certainly learn from this. They are much more like the old secretive Eircom. The ESB has been doing a fantastic job on a number of projects, upgrading much of their electricity distribution network, rolling out electric car charging points all over the country, large fiber backhaul network, etc. But there is little promotion or PR about these activities, most people know nothing about them or with the ESB do.

The only time we hear about the ESB in the news is when people are protesting overhead wires and rising prices.

The ESB could certainly do with improving their PR and being more transparent too.

I agree that Eircom are very concerned about what the ESB are doing and it has spurred them on to do FTTH themselves much earlier then I'd say they were planning. Isn't competition great :D

bk wrote: »
    Yes, Eircom are doing a fantastic job of promoting their services recently, which is very refreshing compared to the secretive Eircom of the past and I believe they can gain greatly from this.

The ESB could certainly learn from this. They are much more like the old secretive Eircom. The ESB has been doing a fantastic job on a number of projects, upgrading much of their electricity distribution network, rolling out electric car charging points all over the country, large fiber backhaul network, etc. But there is little promotion or PR about these activities, most people know nothing about them or with the ESB do.

The only time we hear about the ESB in the news is when people are protesting overhead wires and rising prices.

The ESB could certainly do with improving their PR and being more transparent too.

I agree that Eircom are very concerned about what the ESB are doing and it has spurred them on to do FTTH themselves much earlier then I'd say they were planning. Isn't competition great :D

I don't know why its in my head that vodafone will front the PR and media coverage and store front sales points ? they have the infrastructure setup already to do this . They still have been as secretive it would seem.

I don't know why its in my head that vodafone will front the PR and media coverage and store front sales points ? they have the infrastructure setup already to do this . They still have been as secretive it would seem.

Sure, I expect it will be Vodafone will do this as they have so much experience in this.

But it is actually Eircom Wholesale, not retail, who are doing these great videos and being transparent about rollouts. It is the ESB who needs to do this for their infrastructure and not just rely on crappy consumer marketing from Vodafone.

YE true BK, they have had a bit of a fail, considering it relates to groundbreaking leaps in the sector , you would imagine they would have alot more muster behind it driving it on the lips of everyone in the country . The lack of the publicity is what is driving the suspicions and there is no way to write off a good media campaign when we are talking about what stands to be the fastest provider in Ireland bar eircom if they ever get test numbers into the hundreds as ESB /Voda have done.

• Advertisement

yuloni wrote: »
    I think ESB/VF need to release a few "eircom-esque" videos to calm the masses :)

It seems eircom are just better at the marketing end of things... fancy videos, up to date public maps, localised press releases, product roadmaps - which is probably very intentional... look how well we're progressing politicians everyone, and all that. Despite things seeming quite, I've no doubt eircom are glancing ever-nervously over at the ESB/VF venture

They've had a lot of experience of trying to make low grade ADSL and dial up seem high tech without causing a revolution :)
    ESB never had such issues! Their electrical services are super reliable ;)

To be fair though, eircom have one of the best communications units in the business. The level of information they give and the way they communicate it is actually very impressive.
    I think in recent years eircom has figured out that being as open as they can about plans is actually very beneficial to their business.

They've improved a lot in recent years, since the VDSL rollout in particular!

Advertisement