Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SIRO - ESB/Vodafone Fibre To The Home

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Those upload speeds :eek::eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭dbit

Wow. This could be a gamechanger.

You wouldn't need to have to piggyback on friends - at these prices it would definitely be a viable commercial possibility.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057408085

A good few Borders have pointed me in the right direction for those i will leave behind when i move away from Macroom .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

Now 300 extra towns.........

http://www.independent.ie/business/technology/news/broadband-firm-to-bring-superfast-1000mbs-service-to-300-more-towns-31139923.html

All the same, the point about the curious lack of activity on the ground still remains.

KOR101 wrote: »
    Now 300 extra towns.........

http://www.independent.ie/business/technology/news/broadband-firm-to-bring-superfast-1000mbs-service-to-300-more-towns-31139923.html

All the same, the point about the curious lack of activity on the ground still remains.

Still 3 years to go for the country folk and only hitting areas with up to 100 Buildings .

:-
    "However, the fibre service is initially targeted at large towns with at least 4,000 buildings and will not reach rural areas until after 2018."

dbit wrote: »
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057408085

A good few Borders have pointed me in the right direction for those i will leave behind when i move away from Macroom .

This is really interesting. The limiting factor seems to be that a Line of Sight is needed to a friendly ESB fibre location. I wonder if the ESB might take this on as a commercial operation. Many houses might not be within line of sight of a fibre connected town but might be in sight of a passing fibre enabled ESB cable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

Doubt it , in all reality they may do near the end of the project but running fiber out a few miles for one or two customers may not happen. With these types of speeds around towns it would be very easy to then piggy back from friends living in the near by towns using Wifi gear to get pretty decent speeds . A thread i posted asking some of the experts on this type of rural broadband scheme seems to be a very strong possibility for most these days . A rig to reach 15KM is only around 100 -200 euros , another to reach 65KM would be 1,000 euro all in .

100% With you on this, I was reading(on a thread on boards) i think about a lad who was fed up with slow internet and set up his own after having a community meeting i think in wicklow or wexford(could be elsewhere). He has it set up now with many customers after making a arrangement to get a feed from eircom(i think),

Theirs a thread on boards somewhere about it and its very interesting about how he went from scratch to make the company on advice from boards users.

If someone remembers it id love to read over it again if anyone can get a link,

IF esb-vodafone get more rural, It will at least mean for alot more competition unless the companys don't get greedy.

This is really interesting. The limiting factor seems to be that a Line of Sight is needed to a friendly ESB fibre location. I wonder if the ESB might take this on as a commercial operation. Many houses might not be within line of sight of a fibre connected town but might be in sight of a passing fibre enabled ESB cable.

Possibly , but even an eircom subscriber on efiber would be a huge jump if you suggested splitting the bill of 70MB user. OR any owner of high towers, Mills , Coms towers it wouldn't take that much to get a dsl hook up and transmit it this way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭funnyname

I'd pay €1000 to get ftth in fact I'd pay €5000 if it could be spread over 25 years and added to my bill as a fixed cost like the rural surcharge on electricity bills.
    Wow. This could be a gamechanger.

You wouldn't need to have to piggyback on friends - at these prices it would definitely be a viable commercial possibility.

funnyname wrote: »
    I'd pay €1000 to get ftth in fact I'd pay €5000 if it could be spread over 25 years and added to my bill as a fixed cost like the rural surcharge on electricity bills.

Ye i think the "Last mile " is going to shrivel up very quickly over the next three years , but until then people can help themselves price wise its more than achievable versus waiting for another three years with a shed full of pigeons.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

What was/is so attractive about Cavan Town that made it the launch pad for both ESB/Vodafone and Eircom's fibre roll outs?

ESB
    Cavan Town, where the service has been installed in two estates containing 300 homes, will be the launch town for the new operator's official unveiling this Autumn.
    Eircom's service will initially reach 3,000 homes in Cavan, with a further 15 towns targeted for an autumn launch.

Was this purely a competitive decision .... the second must have an immediate presence after the first announced it?

Are there other reasons both chose Cavan?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Bummer1234 wrote: »
    100% With you on this, I was reading(on a thread on boards) i think about a lad who was fed up with slow internet and set up his own after having a community meeting i think in wicklow or wexford(could be elsewhere). He has it set up now with many customers after making a arrangement to get a feed from eircom(i think),

Theirs a thread on boards somewhere about it and its very interesting about how he went from scratch to make the company on advice from boards users.

If someone remembers it id love to read over it again if anyone can get a link,

IF esb-vodafone get more rural, It will at least mean for alot more competition unless the companys don't get greedy.

I know an ex customer of one of those schemes... terrible service, he was better off on dial up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

Bummer1234 wrote: »
    100% With you on this, I was reading(on a thread on boards) i think about a lad who was fed up with slow internet and set up his own after having a community meeting i think in wicklow or wexford(could be elsewhere). He has it set up now with many customers after making a arrangement to get a feed from eircom(i think.
    I was staying in a B & B in Kilgarvan last week and did a speed test. 14mb both up and down. It's a local guy with an Eircom feed wirelessly connecting locals. My local wireless internet company offers up to 6mbs down, 1 up. Hard to see why others won't start taking things into their own hands.

bk wrote: »
    Rumour has is that the ESB are going to roll out a Fibre To The Home (FTTH) network.

But initially this won't be targeted at really rural places, unlike what the article implies.

Instead ESB plan on targeting 500,000 homes in urban and semi-urban areas not served by UPC (but yes served by Eircom VDSL).

However when that is complete, I do hope that they will then have future phases where they start doing more rural homes.

Yes, rumour has it they are going to be partnering with Vodafone, who will actually sell it.

Yes it is strange that UPC didn't jump at partnering with the ESB on this. With the plan to target non UPC areas and with UPC unlikely to ever expand outside their own areas, then you would think it is a match made in heaven for UPC.

It would allow UPC to almost double the number of customers they can target and they have the advantage of a well known brand and lots of existing experience in the TV market.

They could even do what Verizon does in the US with it's FTTH network and transmit the TV channels as cable TV over the fibre rather then IPTV, so UPC could then even use their existing cable TV and Horizon box with the exact same lineup of channels.

So surprising that they don't.

On the other hand, maybe better that they don't from a consumers perspective as it might make it more likely that the ESB will expand into UPC areas at a future date.

Actually I'm also a little surprised that UPC don't also launch their own VDSL bitstream product on Eircoms network, along with UPC IPTV. It would allow them to target areas that can't currently get UPC services and UPC has a very extensive fibre network of their own that they could use to offload too.

Makes perfect sense really as the ducting or digging is avoided with this approach. The reasons its not in places like carrigaline and more areas as heavily populated as there is that there would be a requirement to dig up alot of estates to run or place cmts units under the ground and so on , planning and costs that would ensue and disruption to roads all very costly stuff . Seems like its a no brainer for them to get into bed with ESB/Voda , given eircoms record , i would be slow to do anything over theyre networks . ( Personal pet hate for that isp sorry)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

jca wrote: »
    I know an ex customer of one of those schemes... terrible service, he was better off on dial up.

Yeah, I knew a fella had a broadband connection once....FFS

I followed that thread referred to, they got great service, it's still providing great service

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2056423539

• Registered Users Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Nice to see some traction with this and the whisperings of 300 more towns and villages (lets be honest, 100 buildings is still a small village by anybody's reckoning) is extremely encouraging.

I thought settlements of 100 buildings would fall under the NBP but ESB are talking about these being commercially viable. If that is true then it will as a nice by product for all those one off dwellers push fibre at the expense of private operators much deeper into the countryside and in doing so will almost certainly reduce the final bill for the NBP as the state would not need to run this fibre.

There is no bad news here, but reading this thread you'd think there was because the ESB haven't conjured up broadband to every one off house in Ireland, yesterday. Gotta be realistic folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭rob808

murphaph wrote: »
    Nice to see some traction with this and the whisperings of 300 more towns and villages (lets be honest, 100 buildings is still a small village by anybody's reckoning) is extremely encouraging.

I thought settlements of 100 buildings would fall under the NBP but ESB are talking about these being commercially viable. If that is true then it will as a nice by product for all those one off dwellers push fibre at the expense of private operators much deeper into the countryside and in doing so will almost certainly reduce the final bill for the NBP as the state would not need to run this fibre.

There is no bad news here, but reading this thread you'd think there was because the ESB haven't conjured up broadband to every one off house in Ireland, yesterday. Gotta be realistic folks.
    It very good if you live in a town or village but if your in a red ribbon development your out of luck but on plus side there no reason the government NBP can't give FTTH to red ribbon development and no Wireless.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

rob808 wrote: »
    It very good if you live in a town or village but if your in a red ribbon development your out of luck but on plus side there no reason the government NBP can't give FTTH to red ribbon development and no Wireless.
    It's very good for everyone because it pushes fibre deeper into the countryside and without the trunk there are no branches!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭rob808

It's very good for everyone because it pushes fibre deeper into the countryside and without the trunk there are no branches!!!
    Well I agree with you there:).I now just have to wait for NBP to start hopefully the ESB and Vodafone show the list of 300 towns before NBP start because that way people that won't get will get it sooner.I just hope the government don't go cheaper because of this announcement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

I followed that thread referred to, they got great service, it's still providing great service

Thats the one,Thanks :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 12 David Maye

Hi guys I live just out side of Ballinrobe 3 mile to be exact. I like gaming but my broadband speed is terrible and frustrating at only 3.5 Mb the most the line can take, It annoys me to be paying for something that I am not getting, I am on the lowest package available which would be 24 Mb and all they can only give me 3.5 Mb this has to be some sort of joke and if it is, it's not funny.
    I heard on the radio today that eircom and Vodafone are hoping to route Broadband through the power lines to reach every rural home but it will be 2020 starting with the main towns one of which is not mine by the way. Will I ever get more than 3.5 Mb when 3 mile down the road they are on high speed fiber the speed they get just wants to make me cry This is 2015 not 1995. In my village there of course farmers who use the Internet for their business and there are also none farming Business here in my village how they cope with the speed we get must be frustrating to them as it is for me.
    Sorry if I have gone of topic a bit but I am so annoyed with the whole thing.
    Sorry once again rant over.
    Regards.

• Advertisement

David Maye wrote: »
    Hi guys I live just out side of Ballinrobe 3 mile to be exact. I like gaming but my broadband speed is terrible and frustrating at only 3.5 Mb the most the line can take, It annoys me to be paying for something that I am not getting, I am on the lowest package available which would be 24 Mb and all they can only give me 3.5 Mb this has to be some sort of joke and if it is, it's not funny.
    I heard on the radio today that Irecom and Vodafone are hoping to route Broadband through the power lines to reach every rural home but it will be 2020 starting with the main towns one of which is not mine by the way. Will I ever get more than 3.5 Mb when 3 mile down the road they are on high speed fiber the speed they get just wants to make me cry This is 2015 not 1995. In my village there of course farmers who use the Internet for their business and there are also none farming Business here in my village how they cope with the speed we get must be frustrating to them as it is for me.
    Regards.

Being firstly Irish , then a realist if you want faster speeds and you are only 3 miles away then possibly a little mini broadband scheme is in order between you and the farmers - no doubt they have high rise objects on which to mount wireless recievers ? The town being so close puts it within reaching distance. ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

You have some attitude on ya. I'll pm you the guys phone number if you don't believe me I don't think he's on boards. I'll pm the name of the cowboy who was charging them €35 p.m.for his "broadband" service which was dial up speeds at best, that was when they could actually get a connection. They went to Permanet on my recommendation and haven't had a bother since. Their cowboy provider wanted a one off charge of €120 to give them a wireless router PLUS an extra €5 p.m for the privilege....

Being firstly Irish , then a realist if you want faster speeds and you are only 3 miles away then possibly a little mini broadband scheme is in order between you and the farmers - no doubt they have high rise objects on which to mount wireless recievers ? The town being so close puts it within reaching distance. ?

Many thanks for your reply dbit
    I have already looked into this and the response from neighbours is "why should we have to do that when we have a phone line coming into the house anyway" Which I had to agree with.
    So that idea was shelved.
    But thanks for your input greatly appreciated.
    Regards

Many thanks for your reply dbit
    I have already looked into this and the response from neighbours is "why should we have to do that when we have a phone line coming into the house anyway" Which I had to agree with.
    So that idea was shelved.
    But thanks for your input greatly appreciated.
    Regards

Well you are now at the mercy of the ISP's surely a wisp already operates in your area ?

On a lighter note a young lad i know living in the back arse of wexford around a year ago was stuck on 3MB - that was the max he could get . Recently eircom cqalled and gave him a new modem and in teh same stroke upgraded him to NGB now he has 18 MB and this i believe was due to the nearest town offloading all of its exchange users to evdsl - so now his lines are much quieter - win for him but not good for those stuck out in the fileds waiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

On a lighter note a young lad i know living in the back arse of wexford around a year ago was stuck on 3MB - that was the max he could get . Recently eircom cqalled and gave him a new modem and in teh same stroke upgraded him to NGB now he has 18 MB and this i believe was due to the nearest town offloading all of its exchange users to evdsl - so now his lines are much quieter - win for him but not good for those stuck out in the fileds waiting.

You've misinterpreted what happened there dbit.

He was limited to 3Mb by the exchange being a radio one, when they connected the fibre for VDSL node they made it NGN, giving him the option to utilize the line to its real potential. Its not that the lines went quiet.

OT for this thread anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

I heard on the radio today that Irecom and Vodafone are hoping to route Broadband through the power lines to reach every rural home but it will be 2020 starting with the main towns one of which is not mine by the way. Will I ever get more than 3.5 Mb when 3 mile down the road they are on high speed fiber the speed they get just wants to make me cry This is 2015 not 1995. In my village there of course farmers who use the Internet for their business and there are also none farming Business here in my village how they cope with the speed we get must be frustrating to them as it is for me.
    Regards.

Have you tried all the ISP's? Eircom, Voda & Sky? I was getting 3.5mbps with Eircom. I jumped to Voda and they could put me on their up to 8mbps tarriff & I got 5 - 6mbps. Then Sky came on board and I jumped to them and they put me on their 24mbps tarriff & I got 18-19 mbps. Note both Eircom & Voda confirmed my line could take 24mbps, but they refused to put me on that tarriff. They would'nt tell me why, but I'm guessing contention. I was quite happy with Sky, as they gave me what my line could comfortably take.

You might just be lucky to go with another ISP.

Have you tried all the ISP's? Eircom, Voda & Sky? I was getting 3.5mbps with Eircom. I jumped to Voda and they could put me on their up to 8mbps tarriff & I got 5 - 6mbps. Then Sky came on board and I jumped to them and they put me on their 24mbps tarriff & I got 18-19 mbps. Note both Eircom & Voda confirmed my line could take 24mbps, but they refused to put me on that tarriff. They would'nt tell me why, but I'm guessing contention. I was quite happy with Sky, as they gave me what my line could comfortably take.

You might just be lucky to go with another ISP.

Thanks Kristopherus
    I was originally with eircom at 2.5 Mb Vodafone who I am with now said we can get you more and they did 3.5 Mb
    How come eircom could not give me that when I first signed up? and I was thinking about Sky too now you mentioned it they might get me up to 5 Mb?
    It's like a game to them why can't they just give you what you are paying for the max.
    The Maximum my line can take is 4 Mb confirmed by both Isp's so i don't think I will get any faster with Sky but thanks for your reply.
    Regards

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Very true. However, the government need a regulatory framework to ensure that if you have a copper wire to your house that intersects with ESB fibre 2Km away, that you get an enhanced (say 20Mb) service and that ESB/Eircom rivalry does not prevent this.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

ardmacha wrote: »
    Very true. However, the government need a regulatory framework to ensure that if you have a copper wire to your house that intersects with ESB fibre 2Km away, that you get an enhanced (say 20Mb) service and that ESB/Eircom rivalry does not prevent this.

The ESB deployment is never going to feed VDSL, forget that. Where theres demand for a cab eircom will run their own 24 fibres and where there isnt itll be FTTH anyways from either side.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

ardmacha wrote: »

That'll not happen, VDSL barely does 2km. We need to forget about copper, all plans should be about replacing it

Advertisement