Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SIRO - ESB/Vodafone Fibre To The Home

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭PeadarB

Was surprised yesterday when informed by an eircom engineer that he had been working on the fibre connection at an ESB 38Kv sub station. KNN are rolling out fibre to estates in Letterkenny on behalf of eircom. He also said that eircom planners had decided that the current poles used for POTS drops in urban areas would not be used for "fibre drops." The trial in Belcarra is using fibre drops from the poles, in tandem with POTS. My house is served with ESB sub-duct but not eircom sub-suct. As fibre is inert, does it really matter whose sub-duct is utilised for distribution? Have eircom and the ESB reached an agreement to utilise each others sub-duct?

Time for some joined up thinking from the telcos, new and old, methinks.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

MOD: I've moved lots of posts about the NBP to the correct thread here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057332672

Lets try and keep this thread specifically for the ESB/Vodafone joint venture.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

It is interesting that we have suddenly seen a bunch of PR about the project, shortly after we were complaining about how quiet the whole project has gotten here!

I expect we should say hi to the folks from ESB/Vodafone reading this thread, keep up the good work :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭dbit

Hey ALL in Vodafone less of the yodatone , Complete it ye will,........ hmmm yeeeees !

So this link from Irish times last week states 6 towns completed by the end of the year and the others by the end of 2018 , after that the 200 additional towns will begin . So 2020 for the great unwashed , eircom have really got plenty of time to compete with this . Also they state in this that they are targetting provincial towns and not cities yet clearly there are metro areas listed on the first 50 Towns ? Why do reporters get they're knickers in a twist when reporting this type of news?.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/esb-and-vodafone-unveil-fibre-broadband-service-in-cavan-1.2174276

And then this from last week where the numbers grow automagically http://www.thejournal.ie/super-fast-broadband-2046576-Apr2015/

(350 IRISH TOWNS and villages will be the first to experience a new super-fast broadband internet service from later this year.) < ---- wow by the end of this year I love Irish tech journalism, so realistic, they must be anons !

Are these people reading the same press releases or just fapping off pre election jargon ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭rob808

dbit wrote: »
    So this link from Irish times last week states 6 towns completed by the end of the year and the others by the end of 2018 , after that the 200 additional towns will begin . So 2020 for the great unwashed , eircom have really got plenty of time to compete with this . Also they state in this that they are targetting provincial towns and not cities yet clearly there are metro areas listed on the first 50 Towns ? Why do reporters get they're knickers in a twist when reporting this type of news?.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/esb-and-vodafone-unveil-fibre-broadband-service-in-cavan-1.2174276

And then this from last week where the numbers grow automagically http://www.thejournal.ie/super-fast-broadband-2046576-Apr2015/

(350 IRISH TOWNS and villages will be the first to experience a new super-fast broadband internet service from later this year.) < ---- wow by the end of this year I love Irish tech journalism, so realistic, they must be anons !

Are these people reading the same press releases or just fapping off pre election jargon ?
    How many towns and villages are in Ireland?I can't see Eircom doing anything about ESB and Vodafone next phaze seen it won't be costing them anything and they can use the network.I wonder when they annonouce the next 200 towns be soon the better it save the tax payer money.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Manc Red

Will every home be able to receive FTTH or will they not be able to connect certain houses?

Manc Red wrote: »
    Will every home be able to receive FTTH or will they not be able to connect certain houses?
    Well yea if your inside the town or village in a enstate but outside rural forget it.

Yes but my point above, is two separate reports, with totally conflicting info . Its the mis-information highway that is Fiber rollout Ireland . Seems the whole way along this journey no one really has a fcuking clue whats going on Bar the heads in here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,336 ✭✭✭positron

.. states 6 towns completed by the end of the year

I wish/hope/beg Drogheda to be on that top six... fat chance though..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

positron wrote: »
    I found the 5 other towns somewhere but I can't remember them. None are in Louth sadly...

Im going into cryo sleep for 5 years until there is fiber every where ( I wont do the 10 years as i will not live in the country side again or until the 10 year Fiber winter has ended)

SUMMER IS COMMING !

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭blainj2

positron wrote: »

Drogheda is in the top 6, I heard it will be finished first.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭naughto

A lot UPC business vans in Castlebar today looked like they where pulling fiber connections

naughto wrote: »
    A lot UPC business vans in Castlebar today looked like they where pulling fiber connections

As well as fiber where they pulling heavy core coax ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,336 ✭✭✭positron

blainj2 wrote: »

Is it April 1st again? :D

Really? Or was that a cruel joke?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

I found the 5 other towns somewhere but I can't remember them. None are in Louth sadly...
    Dig it out if you can. The IT report said the first 6 towns would be announced next month.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭naughto

As well as fiber where they pulling heavy core coax ?

No idea chief just seen them as I was passing. No UPC in Castlebar which is why I found it a strange

KOR101 wrote: »
    Dig it out if you can. The IT report said the first 6 towns would be announced next month.
    I fell victim to journo-speak, from the Independent of course:rolleyes:
    http://www.independent.ie/business/technology/news/broadband-firm-to-bring-superfast-1000mbs-service-to-300-more-towns-31139923.html

The 50 towns include Monaghan, Athlone, Tramore and a couple of others in the first phase... Nothing about what order.

TheJournal.ie's article mentions that Drogheda among Athlone, Bray, Roscommon, Limerick and Galway (apologies if I left out any) are "slated" to be first up for rollout after Cavan.
    Bet ya that post wouldn't have appeared only I confidently declared Dundalk/Drogheda were not on the list. How good are your sources?

Any ESB rollout in Drogheda will originate from Waterunder HV station, where ESB Telecoms don't even have a point of presence cabinet currently. I guess they could string cables anywhere but they'll probably start from there. Poor Tullyallen and its 2.2km distance to the nearest eFibre cabinet... It's only 1km as the wires go to Waterunder:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭dazdrog

I fell victim to journo-speak, from the Independent of course:rolleyes:
    http://www.independent.ie/business/technology/news/broadband-firm-to-bring-superfast-1000mbs-service-to-300-more-towns-31139923.html

The 50 towns include Monaghan, Athlone, Tramore and a couple of others in the first phase... Nothing about what order.

TheJournal.ie's article mentions that Drogheda among Athlone, Bray, Roscommon, Limerick and Galway (apologies if I left out any) are "slated" to be first up for rollout after Cavan.

Bet ya that post wouldn't have appeared only I confidently declared Dundalk/Drogheda were not on the list. How good are your sources?

Any ESB rollout in Drogheda will originate from Waterunder HV station, where ESB Telecoms don't even have a point of presence cabinet currently. I guess they could string cables anywhere but they'll probably start from there. Poor Tullyallen and its 2.2km distance to the nearest eFibre cabinet... It's only 1km as the wires go to Waterunder:eek:

i was talking to a esb guy doing work near me last week and asked if hed heard anything about the fiber rollout, he said its goin ahead in drogheda/dundalk within the next few weeks and will be available by end of year. he also said that gear for the rollout has already started landing in the depots

could just be bull but for what reason would he lie?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭bloodyhawk

I wonder if Athlone will be one of the six towns?

bloodyhawk wrote: »
    I wonder if Athlone will be one of the six towns?
    It like a guessing game Which town next.

Its picking up pace and the shroud being teased upwards to reveal whats happening albeit very very slowly . Eicoms recent spate of building commenced to address DF users has spiked over the last few days possibly in combat to the tiny bits of info ESB gave the other day.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭ClonNGB

Yes, the direct fed of us must be low hanging fruit for ESB. Close to town centres and in clusters. Amazing Eircom have left the fruit dangle so long.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

ClonNGB wrote: »
    Yes, the direct fed of us must be low hanging fruit for ESB. Close to town centres and in clusters. Amazing Eircom have left the fruit dangle so long.

Its not by choice, ita due to red tape.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

ED E wrote: »
    Its not by choice, ita due to red tape.

They'll need to offer something better than VDSL from the exchange if they're hoping to compete with FTTH from ESB. They're already losing huge numbers of small and medium business customers to UPC because they've poor broadband in certain core business districts including parts of Dublin and Cork city centres.

SpaceTime wrote: »
    They'll need to offer something better than VDSL from the exchange if they're hoping to compete with FTTH from ESB. They're already losing huge numbers of small and medium business customers to UPC because they've poor broadband in certain core business districts including parts of Dublin and Cork city centres.

I for one have been an advocate of UPC and pushing people away from eircom, ive been at it for years . (Love sticking the boot into eircom ehg, ... hem.)

dazdrog wrote: »
    i was talking to a esb guy doing work near me last week and asked if hed heard anything about the fiber rollout, he said its goin ahead in drogheda/dundalk within the next few weeks and will be available by end of year. he also said that gear for the rollout has already started landing in the depots

could just be bull but for what reason would he lie?
    I asked a KN networks technician today and he had only hear rumours and didn't hear anything about ESB/Voda starting a rollout in Drogheda soon.

But that's not going to matter so much for Drogheda at least! http://www.businessandleadership.com/business/item/50358-eircom-appoints-huawei-as-f
    By end of August this year apparently, from eircom.

I asked a KN networks technician today and he had only hear rumours and didn't hear anything about ESB/Voda starting a rollout in Drogheda soon.

But that's not going to matter so much for Drogheda at least! http://www.businessandleadership.com/business/item/50358-eircom-appoints-huawei-as-f

And Again i start my Fap Fap Fap !!! makes me wet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭cunnijo

If this proves to happen it will really put pressure on ESB/Vodafone to speed up their rollout plan, as some of the initial 50 towns on their map are listed in the report (including Naas). However I would still prefer ESB to Eircom any day

Advertisement