Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SIRO - ESB/Vodafone Fibre To The Home

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭cunnijo

/\/ollog wrote: »
    Another trial? :| lordy lord.

Another trial. Here was I thinking the one in Cavan Town last year was a success? Now they are doing it again in Dundalk I am beginning to wonder if this will delay the potential rollout to the remainder of the first 10 areas initially, then subsequently to the remaining towns in the first phase of the project, mine included (Naas)

As for pricing if I understand correctly this will come available after the trial and will be down to the number of ISP's that will re sell it, especially with Eircom's FTTH offering coming available from August in 19 of their initial 66 towns

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭tdonegan1990

Possible they could be laying fiber cable down on my street?? Also my power is out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭dbit

Possible they could be laying fiber cable down on my street?? Also my power is out!

Thats them alright you lucky so and so !! happy Downloading.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

Where exactly are they installing ? I know it said coes road area? is that bay estate and the retails parks (maybe the quay area & red barns road area)?

neacy69 wrote: »
    Where exactly are they installing ? I know it said coes road area? is that bay estate and the retails parks (maybe the quay area & red barns road area)?

I'm in lennonstown which is on the red Barns road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

I think they are learning from every part of the rollout. Perhaps the people on the "trial" are getting it for free for a while. Hence the name...

Lucky feckers!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

Ive got 240Mb from UPC and to be honest Im downloading bluray movies all the time and there will be olittle need for 1GB. I would love the upload though as Im only on 24Mb up!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Ive got 240Mb from UPC and to be honest Im downloading bluray movies all the time and there will be olittle need for 1GB. I would love the upload though as Im only on 24Mb up!

This is a good point.

Whilst as techie types , we can all say that we'd love the fastest possible connection - Beyond getting to a synchronous upload/download speed is there really a valid use case for home use that would justify Gigabit speeds?

I mean if you had synchronous 200Mb/s or 250Mb/s Up & Down is there any real-world end-user scenario that you wouldn't be able to support??

I would love to know the pricing of this too. With UPC I have a great deal. Its 240Mb unlimited broadband. I have the phone which allows me to call Ireland and 22 other countries to landlines and mobiles unlimited. There is also an app for my mobile which allows me to answer my house phone or make calls through the app using my unlimited minutes, saving me paying for an expensive mobile tariff. I also have free tv with over 100 channels, the only thing I do not have is Sky Sports and Sky Movies package. I have HD for free too. That also allows me to view tv for free on any device connected to the internet on the Horizon app. So no need to pay for multiroom. It has UPC on demand where I can watch loads of tv series and movies instantly for free.

How much does all of this cost me? €35. Thats it. Thats for the entire duration of my contract, which is 12 month. After that Im free to leave or negotiate another deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Machinehead

I would love to know the pricing of this too. With UPC I have a great deal. Its 240Mb unlimited broadband. I have the phone which allows me to call Ireland and 22 other countries to landlines and mobiles unlimited. There is also an app for my mobile which allows me to answer my house phone or make calls through the app using my unlimited minutes, saving me paying for an expensive mobile tariff. I also have free tv with over 100 channels, the only thing I do not have is Sky Sports and Sky Movies package. I have HD for free too. That also allows me to view tv for free on any device connected to the internet on the Horizon app. So no need to pay for multiroom. It has UPC on demand where I can watch loads of tv series and movies instantly for free.

How much does all of this cost me? €35. Thats it. Thats for the entire duration of my contract, which is 12 month. After that Im free to leave or negotiate another deal.
    Can't really describe how I feel about all that. Vodafone mobile sets me back around €25pm. Then there's the land-line around €45pm for line rental national & UK calls + .5MB down, .1Mb up broadband from Vodafone. Then there's the €30 odd for sky SD - no movies, sports or catch up TV there. That's €100pm for a crap service overall. Fibre won't get to me. Too far I guess (5Km) from the nearest town targeted by Siro (Tralee). Feel like crawling into a hole, perhaps the service might be better there:(:mad:

• Advertisement

Can't really describe how I feel about all that. Vodafone mobile sets me back around €25pm. Then there's the land-line around €45pm for line rental national & UK calls + .5MB down, .1Mb up broadband from Vodafone. Then there's the €30 odd for sky SD - no movies, sports or catch up TV there. That's €100pm for a crap service overall. Fibre won't get to me. Too far I guess (5Km) from the nearest town targeted by Siro (Tralee). Feel like crawling into a hole, perhaps the service might be better there:(:mad:

I know exactly how you feel. For the last 3 years before moving to Sligo I was living in big country houses in the sticks. Mobile reception just did not work in the house regardless of network. Eircom lines were shocking for ADSL and the only service which meant I could game was from Net1 who provided a wireless line of site network. Which was fine for the most part, but latterly they were massively oversubscribed and the speeds and service went to pot. Their customer service are so shocking like you would not believe. Individually they were really nice to talk to face to face or on the phone, but their attitude on facebook or other social media was so bad it was embarrassing.

Forever rural dwellers have been promised they will have an improved service, but in reality all of these services continually get rolled out to areas which already have decent speeds, simply because of population density and the return of the investment in infrastructure. So the trick is to try and find a house that is rural enough to enjoy extra privacy and space and yet have the local telephone cabinet right outside your front door!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,456 ✭✭✭Nollog

Praetorian wrote: »
    I think they are learning from every part of the rollout. Perhaps the people on the "trial" are getting it for free for a while. Hence the name...

Lucky feckers!

We can only hope.

I'm in lennonstown which is on the red Barns road.

Im the other end of the red barns so with a bit of luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭dbit

Did you use the Siro Site to express your interest , just to ensure it runs all the way down to a list of people possibly interested ?

dbit wrote: »
    Did you use the Siro Site to express your interest , just to ensure it runs all the way down to a list of people possibly interested ?

I did hopefully its available...

Think their in Manydown right now, so they seem to be working their way down the road.
    What you could do is download the ESB powercheck app. It will let you know if there is planned interruptions happening in your area.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Machinehead

8 hours into my estimated 12 hour download of Windows 10 (2.7GB) - roll on Siro.

4541374329.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

8 hours into my estimated 12 hour download of Windows 10 (2.7GB) - roll on Siro.

4541374329.png

At least you are not slower than 99% of Ireland!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭user2011

Siro going around Greenfield court with measuring wheel this morning. Maybe the second area for GB internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Mgit

user2011 wrote: »
    Siro going around Greenfield court with measuring wheel this morning. Maybe the second area for GB internet.

They were doing the same on the mullagharlin road 2 weeks ago. Hard to know if their surveying randomly or in the sequence they will rollout

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭user2011

Mgit wrote: »
    They were doing the same on the mullagharlin road 2 weeks ago. Hard to know if their surveying randomly or in the sequence they will rollout

Wishful thinking so : (

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭PeadarB

user2011 wrote: »
    Wishful thinking so : (
    It's an integral part of the Siro rollout. They will concentrate on those areas where expression of interest clusters are strongest. In Dundalk six months ago I saw them take off fibre from the main 220Kv line out the Carrickmacross Road. I've been in Dundalk many times since and SiteServe were very active, and it wasn't with water meters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭JohnDaniels

Mgit wrote: »

They have had reps on the road already selling the service. I'll update on pricing when I find out.

Someone I know living on the Mullaharlin Road said they got a call from a rep at the door selling the SIRO service. They signed up, I never thought at the time to ask pricing but I will tomorrow.

Edit - Guessing here that this part of the town might be a priority due the presence of Ebay/Paypal.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭rustalan

That lad was a Vodafone sales rep from Salessense. He called to me too. He was selling e-fibre and when I told him I already had it he moved on. The road is connected to the box at DKIT but the cabling is about 4K to the end of the road where the Heritage B&B is. So we all get about 3MB. Was chatting to him for a bit though and we did talk about SIRO but he wasn't selling it. The engineer is calling to my neighbor who signed up with him on the B&B side of the Mullaharlin road. They did say that he produced a SIRO booklet but wouldnt leave it with them. I was thinking the usual sales s**t. Sign up now and when SIRO is available we will switch you over. They did the same with E-Fibre.

The SIRO guys have been along the road measuring but there is no Fibre cable running along the poles (yet). I can hope though.... The sub station is just behind us though on the link road. So hopefully they wil be running the cable from that and wont forget us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭JohnDaniels

rustalan wrote: »
    That lad was a Vodafone sales rep from Salessense.
    The SIRO guys have been along the road measuring but there is no Fibre cable running along the poles (yet). I can hope though.... The sub station is just behind us though on the link road. So hopefully they wil be running the cable from that and wont forget us.

I dunno I am fairly sure it was SIRO. I'm sorry for the lack of an update as I haven't been talking to him since but this guy is far from tech savvy and he specifically mentioned SIRO name without me prompting when we last talked.

Edit - ah it could be as you suggest, the promise of SIRO in the future.

I really hope it is to be honest. The SIRO guys have been parked on the road quite a bit but I haven't seen a cable being run as of yet. Fingers crossed though. It would be some jump from 3mb to 1000!

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭5.11 Tactical

rustalan wrote: »
    I really hope it is to be honest. The SIRO guys have been parked on the road quite a bit but I haven't seen a cable being run as of yet. Fingers crossed though. It would be some jump from 3mb to 1000!

Rustalan arent you around the corner from me in bay estate as the whole estate pretty much has 100MB VDSL at the moment...

I havent seen the SIRO guys around as yet but hopefully the whole estate will get sorted for FFTH

I have no idea on pricing, but I can assure you that Salesense are not currently selling it on behalf of Vodafone. They can only sell products that are currently available. Until the network is actually active their software wouldnt be able to provision an order.

Rustalan arent you around the corner from me in bay estate as the whole estate pretty much has 100MB VDSL at the moment...

I havent seen the SIRO guys around as yet but hopefully the whole estate will get sorted for FFTH

I was but we have since moved to the Mullaharlin Road. Literally the month I left the cabs were enabled after waiting for ages!! 3Mb now...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,016 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

About three weeks ago 2 SIRO/ESB vans parked outside my house at lunchtime on Saturday. The two drivers were having their sandwiches. I wanted to see if they had any knowledge of ESB wires and poles causing interference with my radio reception which is a separate issue.

First guy had no English, referred me to the second one, who had some English. Both Polish. He said they were surveying the lines for FTTH. I am in a housing estate on the Avenue Road, Dundalk 2 miles from the town centre and I have FTTC from Eircom.

Got a notice from the ESB today saying power will be out Sunday 16th between 9 and 4 In order to facilitate the rollout of fibre network. So something is happening.

Advertisement