Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SIRO - ESB/Vodafone Fibre To The Home

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 949 ✭✭✭damienirel

murphaph wrote: »
    I'm sitting in an armchair in Newcastle, County Dublin (exchange is Rathcoole) right now. The mother here has internet speeds that surpass our best available product in central Berlin (double our upload). We are building a house in a commuter town of 12k people outside Berlin and we can get a max of 12Mb there accirding to immediate neighbours and only because we are not too far from the exchange. People at the far end of the town get 1 or 2 meg. My mother used to get 3 until fttc changed all that and made skyping possible (upload was the problem on her end). It's anecdotal, but no more anecdotal than your examples. The fact remains that Irish broadband is coming on on leaps and bounds. You're the high hanging fruit being far from the exchange and direct fed.

Yes but why am I conncted to the exchange? When there's a cabinet .7 of a km away? And why after 3 years and why don't eircom answer my questions. That's it finished talking about it here not worth wasting my energy you think what you want I'll think what I want. Free country and all that.

MMFITWGDV wrote: »
    He's already mentioned that he is 5KM from his exchange, so he is SOOL for eFibre.

What am I sool when a cabinet is within the range. Oh yeah cause eircom are in charge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

damienirel wrote: »
    Yes but why am I conncted to the exchange? When there's a cabinet .7 of a km away? And why after 3 years and why don't eircom answer my questions. That's it finished talking about it here not worth wasting my energy you think what you want I'll think what I want. Free country and all that.

You do realise the copper cabs were put in place for a telephone network, broadband is an afterthought, lots has changed in the last 15 years at a crazy pace

• Registered Users Posts: 19,021 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

What am I sool when a cabinet is within the range. Oh yeah cause eircom are in charge.
    No different in many other countries. The telephone system was never designed with DSL in mind. Would you prefer Eircom to move connections over to cabinets or to skip that step and roll ftth out directly? Moving direct fed over to cabinets would be a major undertaking. You are aware of that?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,290 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

/\/ollog wrote: »
    So people in Cavan know the price?

Siro was tested and launched in Cavan Town and was given out free for a year during the testing. No one would take 1gb completely free internet! They had to set up brightly coloured stalls around town to try and get people interested.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Avada

It would involve completely rewiring you to the exchange.completely uneconomical in any country, not just with Eircom involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭Nichard Dixon

No different in many other countries. The telephone system was never designed with DSL in mind. Would you prefer Eircom to move connections over to cabinets or to skip that step and roll ftth out directly? Moving direct fed over to cabinets would be a major undertaking. You are aware of that?

Surely every line going to a cabinet was previously direct fed?

Surely every line going to a cabinet was previously direct fed?

No, cabs were installed many years ago to cover new areas and estates as they were being provided for. It was mostly new installations that never had provisions before so were never direct fed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

Cienciano wrote: »
    Siro was tested and launched in Cavan Town and was given out free for a year during the testing. No one would take 1gb completely free internet! They had to set up brightly coloured stalls around town to try and get people interested.

It was only tested in two estates. Why would they set up stalls around the town to get other people interested when the service was only tested in 300 homes

Avada wrote: »
    It would involve completely rewiring you to the exchange.completely uneconomical in any country, not just with Eircom involved.
    Re-wiring me to the cabinet not the exchange???

• Advertisement

It was only tested in two estates. Why would they set up stalls around the town to get other people interested when the service was only tested in 300 homes

Dead right, sure they've been tweeting and publicising the hell out of it - sure nobody wants it.;)

So it's much more profitable to leave an area with potentially 50 customers direct fed and watch them drop off as other services come online like 4g/Siro etc.
    Would hate to see the state of Eircom if you were left in charge with what you deem as a major undertaking. All the houses where I live are pole drops. The cabinet is at located at the end of my road there are currently about 20 houses along 800 meters. It would make total sense to connect these homes instead of maintaining a copper wire 5kms back to the main exchange. In fact they might even already have planned to do this.

So it's much more profitable to leave an area with potentially 50 customers direct fed and watch them drop off as other services come online like 4g/Siro etc.
    Would hate to see the state of Eircom if you were left in charge with what you deem as a major undertaking. All the houses where I live are pole drops. The cabinet is at located at the end of my road there are currently about 20 houses along 800 meters. It would make total sense to connect these homes instead of maintaining a copper wire 5kms back to the main exchange. In fact they might even already have planned to do this.

It makes more sense for Eircom to forget you for VDSL and just do FTTH. Eircom are miles ahead of Siro on their FTTH land grab, you'll see the first of these being installed in some of the towns in Sept.

You do realise the copper cabs were put in place for a telephone network, broadband is an afterthought, lots has changed in the last 15 years at a crazy pace

Fibre cabinet - not copper cabinet!!!
    Funny 3 years ago that fibre cabinet was initialised - you got one thing right it's a crazy pace alright.

It makes more sense for Eircom to forget you for VDSL and just do FTTH. Eircom are miles ahead of Siro on their FTTH land grab, you'll see the first of these being installed in some of the towns in Sept.
    I agree - and I hope we're both right!! :)

Fibre cabinet - not copper cabinet!!!
    Funny 3 years ago that fibre cabinet was initialised - you got one thing right it's a crazy pace alright.

The fibre cabinets are installed beside copper cabinets already in situ

The fibre cabinets are installed beside copper cabinets already in situ

Okay I get what you're saying but that was totally based on convenience for them, it made sense as electricity was already there they owned the land etc.

Okay I get what you're saying but that was totally based on convenience for them, it made sense as electricity was already there they owned the land etc.

No, you clearly don't understand how it works. They installed fibre cabs beside the copper cabs where they could easily connect 200/400 connections already in one place, there is also a monitored pressurised duct going all the way from the copper cab to the exchange. When a KN tech connects a customer they connect them to a splitter in the copper cab. The fibre cabs don't get opened very often. The fibre cabs are also future proofed with 20 extra fibres that can connect 32 FTTH connections on each fibre in future. They will eventually in time do away with the copper cab

No, you clearly don't understand how it works. They installed fibre cabs beside the copper cabs where they could easily connect 200/400 connections already in one place, there is also a monitored pressurised duct going all the way from the copper cab to the exchange. When a KN tech connects a customer they connect them to a splitter in the copper cab. The fibre cabs don't get opened very often. The fibre cabs are also future proofed with 20 extra fibres that can connect 32 FTTH connections on each fibre in future. They will eventually in time do away with the copper cab

BTW pressurised with what? Is the copper cabinet connected via fibre or copper to the main exchange?

You're making assumptions that I don't understand and then you go on to tell me something I already know.

Maybe you can come around and install my fibre connection - LOL!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,021 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Is the copper cabinet connected via fibre or copper to the main exchange?
    The copper cab is connected via a multiple pair copper cable to the exchange.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭PeadarB

Dundalk almost ready to go. Construction starts in Carrigaline in Cork this month.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

PeadarB wrote: »
    Dundalk almost ready to go. Construction starts in Carrigaline in Cork this month.

Lots of SIRO activity here lately so hopefully there will be some pricing soon

• Registered Users Posts: 21,016 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

PeadarB wrote: »

Yes. I got an e mail from them today, having registered interest a few weeks ago. It linked to this update on their website, although I see that it is headed 24 July.

http://siro.ie/dundalk-shines-brighter/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭dbit

Eircom have statrted to push FTTH advertising media around douglas area in cork . ( Barstewards)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,456 ✭✭✭Nollog

Siro did an eircom and spammed everyone's emails then?

Because I got it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭PeadarB

/\/ollog wrote: »
    Siro did an eircom and spammed everyone's emails then?

Because I got it too.
    Me too!! But I sent in the expression of interest when it became available. Hopefully construction will start soon in Letterkenny. I'm not holding out any hope at all for an eircom FTTH connection given the way the rollout has gone here.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Azhrei

Do we have any idea how long phase one is meant to last? Not the full three years, surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭eirman

When Eircom & SIRO roll out direct fiber to an area,
    do they do every house in the area (i.e. blanket coverage), or just where customers are ready to sign up?

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭cunnijo

Azhrei wrote: »
    Do we have any idea how long phase one is meant to last? Not the full three years, surely?

It could very well be. I just received an email from SIRO stating that Dundalk was started in July and as of yet no customer is connected. The next area will be Carraigline in Cork and that starts later this month. So allow at least 3 months for each area.

At the rate it is going the Eircom FTTH rollout will be well up and running. The first 14 towns (they claim) starting to go live towards the end of this month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Mgit

neacy69 wrote: »
    Lots of SIRO activity here lately so hopefully there will be some pricing soon

Where are you seeing the siro work happening in dundalk at the moment? I havent been about the town much during the day but havent seen any work on my road yet

Advertisement