Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SIRO - ESB/Vodafone Fibre To The Home

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

Mgit wrote: »
    Where are you seeing the siro work happening in dundalk at the moment? I havent been about the town much during the day but havent seen any work on my road yet

They were working on it round by the swimming pool early in the week and round by national tile last weekend...seen a couple of vans at the power station beside Boyle sports

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Azhrei

Is Eircom's FTTH solution dependant so much on distance as well as eFibre? Because I'm betting what they will do for us is what they did for us with eFibre - nothing. They went to places further away from the town than we are, and despite our being in a built-up area, they built all around us and avoided us entirely.

I'm guessing that this is because when they installed our area, they did so in such a shoddy workaround fashion and now they don't want to deal with it. It's the only explanation I can think of in not providing for such a well-built area.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,456 ✭✭✭Nollog

eirman wrote: »
    When Eircom & SIRO roll out direct fiber to an area,
    do they do every house in the area (i.e. blanket coverage), or just where customers are ready to sign up?

In a tweet they said it'll be town bounds, but Dundalk is starting off with just a few estates last I saw.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Azhrei wrote: »
    Is Eircom's FTTH solution dependant so much on distance as well as eFibre? Because I'm betting what they will do for us is what they did for us with eFibre - nothing. They went to places further away from the town than we are, and despite our being in a built-up area, they built all around us and avoided us entirely.

Techically FTTH isn't distance dependant like DSL is. FTTH GPON can reach 20km with no signal lose and it can go further with repeaters.

However it still costs money for each extra meter of fiber you lay, so instead of a technical limitation, there is likely to be a financial limitation.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭DerMutt

Saw a load of lads in hi-viz with tli and Siro on them surveying the paths around Carrigaline today. Looks like the build is about to kick off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭mobil 222

Same for sligo...due to start next week.
    Alot of activity in cartys old compound in Ballisodare with Kn Trucks and Vans

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭PeadarB

mobil 222 wrote: »

After speaking with customer services they hinted that things might be speeding up. Roll on Letterkenny!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Mgit

Are you talking about eircom ftth or siro? Kn work only for eircom. Sierra do the siro work for vodafone / esb

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭mobil 222

Mgit wrote: »
    Are you talking about eircom ftth or siro? Kn work only for eircom. Sierra do the siro work for vodafone / esb

KN have got part of the contract for Siro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭StonyIron

I'm guessing that this is because when they installed our area, they did so in such a shoddy workaround fashion and now they don't want to deal with it. It's the only explanation I can think of in not providing for such a well-built area.

It's basically the same technology as SIRO and in a lot of cases Eircom would have a much more structured duct network than ESB.

Density of housing and business case is what's going up drive their interest.

I've a sense they're keen to wire preducted housing estates first, for obvious reasons.

Low density one off housing is always trickier for utilities and costs more per house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Azhrei

StonyIron wrote: »
    It's basically the same technology as SIRO and in a lot of cases Eircom would have a much more structured duct network than ESB.

Density of housing and business case is what's going up drive their interest.

I've a sense they're keen to wire preducted housing estates first, for obvious reasons.

Low density one off housing is always trickier for utilities and costs more per house.

Likely, but there are at least two estates right next to us, we're in one of two apartment blocks with another block of houses between us, alongside many single houses right next to each other all over the area... and we were completely ignored. I'm just hoping that when Siro gets here, it won't be as costly as Eircom's (they said it would be expensive, after all).

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Sherfin

And they tweeted earlier to say there will be an announcement on Monday in Sligo

https://twitter.com/SIROIreland/status/642682706015461377

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Mgit

Where did you read that? I would imagine there would be a conflict of interest if that was true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭StonyIron

Likely, but there are at least two estates right next to us, we're in one of two apartment blocks with another block of houses between us, alongside many single houses right next to each other all over the area... and we were completely ignored. I'm just hoping that when Siro gets here, it won't be as costly as Eircom's (they said it would be expensive, after all).

With efibre, it very much depends on the random history of the wiring. If you're connected to structured wiring via street cabinet it was easy to provision as they just added an extra cabinet with the fibre and VDSL gear and splice the lines in.

If you're directly connected to the exchange with wiring done in underground vaults instead of cabinets, it's very hard to do that without basically digging up and rebuilding the local wiring and disrupting phone and exiting services while that's happening.

The logic could have been a council not giving planning permission for street cabinets in the 1970s or some random arbitrary decision of a property developer or local P&T engineer in 1965 who is long since gone!

With the FTTH they're effectively replacing the copper network, not just piggy backing onto it like VDSL, so there's a lot more chance you'll be connected if it's passing.

Also they can run fibre overhead much like copper and seem to be doing that. So if you're not ducted right into the house, but you're near a pole, it's likely to be simple enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,492 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Sherfin wrote: »
    And they tweeted earlier to say there will be an announcement on Monday in Sligo

https://twitter.com/SIROIreland/status/642682706015461377

what did this lad have to say?

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Sherfin

Looks like Sligo next in line

http://siro.ie/sligo-is-a-siro-powered-town/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

Well we knew it was next so not really anything even slightly interesting at all. As Sligo has UPC and Eicom FTTC in the main areas, I dont see how this is really going to be all that amazing anyway. They ought to be providing broadband to everyone outside of the main areas who already have fast broadband. As per usual those that have fast broadband will just have even faster broadband which for nearly everyone using it, will make little to no difference. Its those struggling with 1Mb from Eircom outside town that need to avail of a better service. Big fail the entire thing really.

Of course I want it myself, but that doesnt help those in rural areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,021 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Big fail my arse. Without urban areas getting ftth rural one offs had zero chance. The rural one offs will eventually be served but only because the backbone will exist due to the urban rollouts. Once fibre is installed, that's it for a hundred years probably, if not forever. They will not need to go back to these urban properties and will the fibre network will have nowhere to go but out to the one offs. It'll be sped up through the NBP too.

Any sign of some prices?

Letterkenny should be in the Siro loop within the next 4 weeks. Starting at Lurgybrack 110Kv station I expect that the fibre loop should run to the 38Kv sub-stations at Ballyraine, then to Gortlee, etc. and back via Cullion to Lurgybrack.
    KN are currently surveying the mini-pillar network on behalf of ESB Networks who will run the fibre network past homes and businesses in the town using the existing underground network. SiteServe will be tasked with instaling the fibre to the home from the mini-pillars to the various premises where installation is requested.

Happy days!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,456 ✭✭✭Nollog

PeadarB wrote: »
    Letterkenny should be in the Siro loop within the next 4 weeks. Starting at Lurgybrack 110Kv station I expect that the fibre loop should run to the 38Kv sub-stations at Ballyraine, then to Gortlee, etc. and back via Cullion to Lurgybrack.
    KN are currently surveying the mini-pillar network on behalf of ESB Networks who will run the fibre network past homes and businesses in the town using the existing underground network. SiteServe will be tasked with instaling the fibre to the home from the mini-pillars to the various premises where installation is requested.

Happy days!!!

sounds super, then maybe in the next 4 years we'll hear some sort of price.

/\/ollog wrote: »
    sounds super, then maybe in the next 4 years we'll hear some sort of price.
    Dundalk goes live from next month according to the Siro site so I expect Vodafone will let us know around then. eir only announced their retail prices over the past couple of weeks, though you could get an idea from the wholesale prices they were quoting what the likely cost would be.
    We don't have the luxury of that from Voda/Siro unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭joe_99

SIRO may never release their prices. They may do individual deals with each operator. Unlike open eir they don't have disclose any pricing and are effectively a black box. A bit like BT and their deals with Sky and voda which are completely commercial. Open eir are 100% transparent because they are regulated.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,016 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

PeadarB wrote: »
    Dundalk goes live from next month according to the Siro site so I expect Vodafone will let us know around then. eir only announced their retail prices over the past couple of weeks, though you could get an idea from the wholesale prices they were quoting what the likely cost would be.
    We don't have the luxury of that from Voda/Siro unfortunately.

I can't see October anywhere on their site. I think I am one of the 800 houses in the pilot area in Dundalk. There was an ESB outage for most of Sunday about a month ago. I spoke to the ESB man that day who said they were just clearing bits of trees etc away from the lines in prepartion for the fibre. He said there were to be further power outages but I have received no notification of any since.

Did this happen in Letterkenny or anywhere else?

I can't see October anywhere on their site. I think I am one of the 800 houses in the pilot area in Dundalk. There was an ESB outage for most of Sunday about a month ago. I spoke to the ESB man that day who said they were just clearing bits of trees etc away from the lines in prepartion for the fibre. He said there were to be further power outages but I have received no notification of any since.

Did this happen in Letterkenny or anywhere else?

Power outages can be checked at https://www.esb.ie/esb-networks/powercheck/ If a Siro related outage occurs they will indicate this in real time.

Per the Dundalk link on the Siro main page - "We have commenced construction on the network with a trial over 800 homes in the Coes Road area, going live in September, before the service becomes commercially available in the following weeks. Over the coming months we will connect over 18,500 premises to SIRO, revolutionising the broadband experience in the area". The Sligo rollout has started. I spoke with a KN tech today who was auditing ESB Mini-Pillars. He intimated that the Letterkenny rollout would commence within the next four to six weeks with the usual fanfare. I can only take what he said on face value but as usual I wont hold my breath. I hope the news is good for you and I look forward to speedtests.

What's a mini pillar?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

irishgeo wrote: »
    What's a mini pillar?

std%20pillars%20sml.JPG

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

That cabinet on the left is really happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,021 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

What's actually in them? Just the main fuse?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭hallo dare

A mini pillar is like a big connector block. You have your 3 phases and neutral bars. Say for example there is an estate with an ESB substation (those big green metal box's). From there comes a four core cable to a mini pillar. The four cores are terminated to the relevant bars in the mini pillar. From there each house is fed with their cable.

Advertisement