Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SIRO - ESB/Vodafone Fibre To The Home

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,021 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Thx. Similar to here in Germany then except all properties get all 3 phases as standard and the main fuse is in there so they can easily kill power to the property in the case of fire. It also forms the official handover point here...the property owner is responsible for the cabling from the mini pillar on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭hallo dare

murphaph wrote: »
    Thx. Similar to here in Germany then except all properties get all 3 phases as standard and the main fuse is in there so they can easily kill power to the property in the case of fire. It also forms the official handover point here...the property owner is responsible for the cabling from the mini pillar on.

3 phase is a standard house connection in Germany? Wow!!!

There are no fuses in the mini pillars i have mentioned above. Fused at the main sub station only and at the point of connection at the house.

Sorry, off topic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭dbit

Im gonna blow a fuse .......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭red_bairn

• Registered Users Posts: 4,252 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Could be interesting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭PeadarB

KeRbDoG wrote: »
    Could be interesting

17 houses in Rathiniska.Still better than nothing. Time to get real.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MajesticDonkey

PeadarB wrote: »
    17 houses in Rathiniska.Still better than nothing. Time to get real.

Really? :D

It seems all very B4rn to me ? middle of nowhere connectig up nothing , Siro's next Belcara lols.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Machinehead

red_bairn wrote: »

Nothing but a load of waffle there, no firm commitments on roll-out, except for the 2020 completion date. Rural areas are playing second fiddle in Siro's plans, with well serviced urban areas being prioritised.
    Quote from email from Siro;
    "Phase 1 of the SIRO rollout is focused on homes and premises within the urban boundaries of the towns targeted. SIRO is a commercial venture and is currently concentrated on delivering to the 50 towns recently announced. However, there is scope for a second phase which will target a further 320 smaller towns".

Looks like Carrigaline cork is teh first connected cork town to go live ?? Of course its dripping in political figures and waffle

https://twitter.com/pkellypr/status/647391757345390593/photo/1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭PeadarB

dbit wrote: »
    Looks like Carrigaline cork is teh first connected cork town to go live ?? Of course its dripping in political figures and waffle

https://twitter.com/pkellypr/status/647391757345390593/photo/1

Cavan was the first to go live, albeit as a trial area. Dundalk, again announced as a "trial of 800" homes, in the Coes Road area of the town, is due to go live shortly. We got word of Carrigaline 3 weeks ago. Sligo have also gotten the nod and I expect that the 10 first phase towns will come on stream relatively quickly over the next 2 to four months.

PeadarB wrote: »
    Cavan was the first to go live, albeit as a trial area. Dundalk, again announced as a "trial of 800" homes, in the Coes Road area of the town, is due to go live shortly. We got word of Carrigaline 3 weeks ago. Sligo have also gotten the nod and I expect that the 10 first phase towns will come on stream relatively quickly over the next 2 to four months.

Carrigaline is to go live is the first conencted CORK TOWN !

• Registered Users Posts: 9,492 ✭✭✭irishgeo

We need bloddy prices

• Registered Users Posts: 5,456 ✭✭✭Nollog

irishgeo wrote: »
    We need bloddy prices

I thought they'd finally do it since eir had the balls to go first.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,217 ✭✭✭digiman

/\/ollog wrote: »
    I thought they'd finally do it since eir had the balls to go first.

Eir are regulated so have to disclose, who is to say we will ever find out Siro prices?

I would imagine that Vodafone will offer the same prices or very similar price to the customer wether you are on the Eir or SIRO network

digiman wrote: »
    Eir are regulated so have to disclose, who is to say we will ever find out Siro prices?

I would imagine that Vodafone will offer the same prices or very similar price to the customer wether you are on the Eir or SIRO network

I dont want the wholesale prices, i want some consumer pricing.

But vodafone are not reselling the eir ftth product according to a few on here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭joe_99

I dont want the wholesale prices, i want some consumer pricing.

SIRO won't have consumer prices. That will be up to Vodafone or whoever else purchases it off SIRO.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,547 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

joe_99 wrote: »
    SIRO won't have consumer prices. That will be up to Vodafone or whoever else purchases it off SIRO.

It would be interesting to compare the wholesale pricing of Siro and open-eir.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,547 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

They might be from November according to this post over on the eir FTTH thread
    positron wrote: »
    Another interesting bit of news it that Vodafone sales guy rang looking to see if they can tie me down to another contract, but when I expressed interest in Eircom's ultrafast, Vodafone sales guy said they will be offering that (reselling eircoms offering, not SIRO) starting from November. Sales guys are not usually the best source of information, but just reporting what he said.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

The Cush wrote: »
    It would be interesting to compare the wholesale pricing of Siro and open-eir.

Open-Eir provide RAPs so their pricing is basically public whether they publish them or not, SIRO dont have that obligation and the ESB being the ESB they may well keep them confidential.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭StonyIron

hallo dare wrote: »
    3 phase is a standard house connection in Germany? Wow!!!

There are no fuses in the mini pillars i have mentioned above. Fused at the main sub station only and at the point of connection at the house.

Sorry, off topic.

There's two approaches to distributing power. You put each home on a relatively large single phase supply, or on relatively small three phases.
    The aim is to balance the system to put loads on all 3 phases fairly evenly.

Three phase in a home is actually of little advantage other than for some very powerful motors.

In some continental homes where 3 phase is used its, in reality, used as 3 separate single phase circuits.

Some cooking appliances nominally take three phase but it's actually just used as multiple single phase circuits in the appliance. We just use a larger single phase circuit instead.

The drawback is that three phase is extremely dangerous to handle and can cause flash overs and all sorts of things that won't impact single phase installations. You've also risks where if two phases are present side by side you've a 400V potential shock risk.

For fibre the only concern is how structured the ducts and wiring access is in the street.

In modern ESB power distribution it's very, very well ducted. Older areas often have direct burried armoured cable wouldn't be remotely as easy to hook up.

Historical choices of systems will play a big part in how easy or hard it is to reach homes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭hallo dare

StonyIron wrote: »
    There's two approaches to distributing power. You put each home on a relatively large single phase supply, or on relatively small three phases.
    The aim is to balance the system to put loads on all 3 phases fairly evenly.

Three phase in a home is actually of little advantage other than for some very powerful motors.

In some continental homes where 3 phase is used its, in reality, used as 3 separate single phase circuits.

Some cooking appliances nominally take three phase but it's actually just used as multiple single phase circuits in the appliance. We just use a larger single phase circuit instead.

The drawback is that three phase is extremely dangerous to handle and can cause flash overs and all sorts of things that won't impact single phase installations. You've also risks where if two phases are present side by side you've a 400V potential shock risk.

What is the point of this comment? My reaction was that I am amazed that 3 phase is the norm in Germany for a house supply. End of.

ESB/Siro 3 Phase to the home , so when it rolling out guys ? Tee hee.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,456 ✭✭✭Nollog

digiman wrote: »

We want prices, wholesale are all but worthless to us, I personally want retail price per month, so I can decide if it's worth waiting for or not.
    joe_99 wrote: »
    SIRO don't have to be the ones to tell me.

SIRO are going launching this all over the country and saying this town is next and the only thing that hasn't been mention is a price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭StonyIron

What is the point of this comment? My reaction was that I am amazed that 3 phase is the norm in Germany for a house supply. End of.

Yeah!

Sorry for bothering to comment at all! I won't be participating in this thread anymore!

Sick of this kind of crap on boards!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

It's interesting? Well thought out? Useful in a tangential fashion? Shuts down the inevitable "shure it's terrible the Germans have three and we've only got one" posts?

It's the total opposite of your own contribution, in fact.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

StonyIron wrote: »
    Yeah!

Sorry for bothering to comment at all! I won't be participating in this thread anymore!

Sick of this kind of crap on boards!

Please don't, ignore hallo dare who is about to receive a mod warning for attacking a poster.

I found your post to be extremely interesting and informant, I hope you change your mind and decide to stick around.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

MOD: No more of this nonsense, I'll be deleting the last few posts. Back on topic please.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

From their twitter, doing installs today.
    CQTqMYBWIAA0wB6.jpg

Thank f'ck its Sierra that got the contract.

Advertisement