Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SIRO - ESB/Vodafone Fibre To The Home

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭jd

ED E wrote: »

Thank f'ck its Sierra that got the contract.

What retail operators are on board? Vodafone?

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭tdonegan1990

Anyone else that signed up for the free 6 month trial get a call yet?
    Signed up on Wednesday, told I would get a call Friday but no luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭PeadarB

Small update on rollout page http://siro.ie/roll-out/

"We will light up Letterkenny, Tralee and Cavan by this December!.

Time to switch back to Vodafone so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭joe_99

PeadarB wrote: »
    Small update on rollout page http://siro.ie/roll-out/

"We will light up Letterkenny, Tralee and Cavan by this December!.

Time to switch back to Vodafone so.

What addresses are covered?

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭5.11 Tactical

Anyone else that signed up for the free 6 month trial get a call yet?
    Signed up on Wednesday, told I would get a call Friday but no luck.

How did you manage to sign up I asked them but got nothing back ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭tdonegan1990

How did you manage to sign up I asked them but got nothing back ?

Got a leaflet threw the door about it. I went into Vodafone in the longwalk and they took all my details etc.. Got a call two days later saying that "we're sorry but it turns out your address (lennonstown manor) and Manydown aren't eligible for the trial"!

I was sure my estate would be ready.. Was littered with siro and Sierra vans for most of the month.. We have new cream electric box's beside the older green one's. Also seen the fibre optic cable being laid.
    Wonder what the hold up is?

joe_99 wrote: »
    What addresses are covered?

@joe99 I have no info at all about it except that one of the KN lads was doing an audit of the ESB mini-pillars around the town about three weeks ago.

He said that the main fibre route, will run from Lurgybrack, via Ballyraine, Gortlee, over Windy Hall and back down and out the Cullion Road to Lurgybrack, covering all the 38Kv sub-stations on the route. The main fibre distribution set-up would be behind Gortlee (the ESB depot?). It will follow the 220v routes from the 38Kv sub-stations and ESB Networks will install the fibre as far as the mini pillars and Siro/SiteServe/Kn would run it from the mini-pillars to the premises. He did say it would be symmetrical, ie, whatever you get down you would also get up 200Gb/200Gb - 1000Gb/1000Gb. The old 110Kv run to the now defunct Unifi site should facilitate the core fibre run to Gortlee, which is just up the road from there. Scroll in on the roll out map on the Siro site and you will see where the fibre is likely to run at ground level.

Eir have given me no comfort about aerial distrubution from the DP on their poles so I have decided to switch back to Vodafone and wait for Siro, however long that might take.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

I presume this SIRO network is only for towns and big villages? and not rural areas of the country..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭rob808

irishfeen wrote: »
    I presume this SIRO network is only for towns and big villages? and not rural areas of the country..
    I think for the moment yes but they are interested in NBP but guess real question would be how interest are they in rural Ireland trail was a bit of a joke just 14 houses to FTTH.

They want to make the most money so there targeting big towns in phase 1 and phase 2 small towns and villages and maybe they do a third and target rural areas but that a big if.

rob808 wrote: »
    I think for the moment yes but they are interested in NBP but guess real question would be how interest are they in rural Ireland trail was a bit of a joke just 14 houses to FTTH.

They want to make the most money so there targeting big towns in phase 1 and phase 2 small towns and villages and maybe they do a third and target rural areas but that a big if.
    Ah OK I thought so, this NBP seems even at this stage absolutely doomed to failure...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,217 ✭✭✭digiman

irishfeen wrote: »
    Ah OK I thought so, this NBP seems even at this stage absolutely doomed to failure...

I wouldn't say that, while the funding has been cut from the government the more fibre that is rolled out in large urban towns the cheaper it will be for the houses on the outskirts of towns and then further into rural parts to be connected up also.

Also, people seem to forget that Eircom and Siro have shareholder obligations to make money. If they start their fibre rollouts in rural Ireland where they would be just sinking their money then they would fail and so would the chances of rural broadband. You will need to give both of them time to serve the large urban towns.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Manc Red

Scroll in on the roll out map on the Siro site and you will see where the fibre is likely to run at ground level.
    Didn't know this before now. Thanks.

The dark green lines is the confirmed fibre routes that they will be laying?

Just to be clear this is ground level only?

Our lane is on it thankfully. It was a bit hard to find without the main roads showing but I take it this focuses on taking fibre out from the main roads?

The SIRO map is the hardest thing to follow ever, almost impossible in fact... from what I can make out there is no green line passing us either - no blue or green :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MajesticDonkey

Manc Red wrote: »
    The dark green lines is the confirmed fibre routes that they will be laying?

I really doubt they are confirmed fibre routes, they make absolutely no sense in most areas.

I really doubt they are confirmed fibre routes, they make absolutely no sense in most areas.

I've checked my own location and in my area they reflect the power cable runs. We've a mini-pillar serving the eight houses in our estate. The power is run from there through a 1" - 1 1/2" uPVC pipe with plenty of room for the fibre cable.

The Siro map shows the overground runs as well. My big fear is for those areas served by ESB Networks aerially, from the pole to the house, will end up the same as those who are being kept out of the loop for FTTH/B by eir, as they do not have access to underground ducting.

I've checked my own location and in my area they reflect the power cable runs. We've a mini-pillar serving the eight houses in our estate. The power is run from there through a 1" - 1 1/2" uPVC pipe with plenty of room for the fibre cable.

Maybe it is so. It'd really help if they showed roads on the map, I don't have a clue where my own area is exactly the way it is at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭dbit

The Siro map shows the overground runs as well. My big fear is for those areas served by ESB Networks aerially, from the pole to the house, will end up the same as those who are being kept out of the loop for FTTH/B by eir, as they do not have access to underground ducting.

I personally dont think that just beacuse a house is fed by ariel mounted pole delivery versus underground ducting would prohibit a nominted area from completing an install . There are ariel grade fiber standards that allow for flex and bend in that scenario.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭clohamon

Maybe it is so. It'd really help if they showed roads on the map, I don't have a clue where my own area is exactly the way it is at the moment.

It is a roadmap, without the M,N, and R roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

Could someone post a link for the map?

KOR101 wrote: »
    Could someone post a link for the map?

http://siro.ie/roll-out/

• Advertisement

clohamon wrote: »
    It is a roadmap, without the M,N, and R roads.
    There are small directional arrows for roads but they are hard to spot when you scroll in on your location at http://siro.ie/roll-out/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

Sorry if i've missed a few posts....If you are on a green indicated area on the map can you call vodafone and sign up?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Redriddick

The whole road I am on is green,does this mean anything??
    I think not and I think this map is not exactly where it will be available.
    I am on a side road,off a side road and it is green but I am hesitant to believe I will get it!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

The Green lines show on the UK map as well, so they can't be indicating where they will supply FTTH. As I missing something? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Redriddick

Lads,straight from the horses mouth as they say:
    Thank you for your email. The green lines on the map do not indicate the coverage, they are purely decorative. As you may know, phase one of roll-out will target 50 regional towns, including Roscommon. Phase One is concentrated on the urban boundaries of the town, which are determined by technical survey prior to the build. As we begin to roll-out in a town we inform the local media and local representatives of our plans and the probably scope of the coverage.
    Best wishes

So the map is purely ****e!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

decorative?

that is really unbelievable

there must be some reason for the green squiggles :)

there must be some reason for the green squiggles :)

Yes, the majority are just minor roads from what I can see, but there are also short ones in the middle of nowhere that don't join to any other line.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,016 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Siro were working on the St Alphonsus Road, Dundalk today, the Avenue Road end. I saw at least one Sierra vehicle as well. I was driving by and I asked one of them was my estate on the list (it is nearby) but unfortunately he did not speak English. I saw some reels of cable, like satellite cable, which I assume is the fibre?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Gothmog

The green lines on the SIRO map represent where the existing ESB lines run if I understand correctly. Or at least ones that can be used for possible Fibre roll-out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭clohamon

Gothmog wrote: »
    The green lines on the SIRO map represent where the existing ESB lines run if I understand correctly. Or at least ones that can be used for possible Fibre roll-out.

No.
    The Map is essentially a roadmap, but it shows only Local roads, boreens and some driveways. The Motorways, National roads and Regional roads have been removed.

You can see how it works if you line up a google map side-by side with the SIRO map. IMO the green lines (outside the towns) have no significance.

Advertisement