Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SIRO - ESB/Vodafone Fibre To The Home

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

mishapk wrote: »
    I have an xbox 360 - connected wirelessly - I'll do a ping test on that and get back to you. The trial is until end of March 2016.

That's a decent period. Best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 mishapk

thanks Navi , and for your help with the Heanet suggestions.

My Xbox is connected wirelessly - though the supplied Vodafone unit seems pretty decent - it's pinging in the 130-150ms range.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

:eek::eek::eek: What the feck, people are complaining about the speeds of FTTH services in rural Ireland!! I've seen it all now!! :confused:

Remember that a lot of peoples computers and networks won't be able to handle such fast broadband and often the sites you are testing against won't be able to handle it either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,217 ✭✭✭digiman

bk wrote: »
    :eek::eek::eek: What the feck, people are complaining about the speeds of FTTH services in rural Ireland!! I've seen it all now!! :confused:

Remember that a lot of peoples computers and networks won't be able to handle such fast broadband and often the sites you are testing against won't be able to handle it either.

Indeed, the speedtest servers are probably only 1Gb/s themselves so anyone else doing a download or upload at same time as you will slow your speed down!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

digiman wrote: »
    Indeed, the speedtest servers are probably only 1Gb/s themselves so anyone else doing a download or upload at same time as you will slow your speed down!!

Exactly, it be up and down like a yoyo, I'd say heatnet linux distro be the most accurate...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,924 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

a) Speedtest probably aren't setup to test up to 1Gb/s
    b) your processor, RAM, disk etc may not be fast enough process data at that speed.

It's quite challenging to get full 1Gb/s throughput on a single PC - you might need to change TCP defaults etc. An alternative method would be use multiple PCs and monitor the throughput on the router interface (assuming whatever CPE Siro are supplying can actually push 1Gb/s which is another question).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

any idea how to get onto the trial for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

About €10,000 worth of a server, on the HEANET network itself, still can only pull 750-800. Will take a little while until all core/dist layers are upgraded to handle John Doe in Leitrim downloading all of Wikipedia in 7 seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

ED E wrote: »
    About €10,000 worth of a server, on the HEANET network itself, still can only pull 750-800. Will take a little while until all core/dist layers are upgraded to handle John Doe in Leitrim downloading all of Wikipedia in 7 seconds.

Damn!
    There's always something!
    Why can't they do it right?

:D:D

neacy69 - For me I'd registered interest on the Siro website , then two weeks back got a notice through my door that I was in a "Siro Enabled Area" - after that I popped into the Marshes, to the Vodafone store ( though the flyer said I could have gone into any of the Dundalk stores ) and I signed up in-store.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭rustalan

The parents in law actually got a call to sign up. Their install was due yesterday but no one showed up.

Siro are in the Marshes from the 22nd to the 25th of the month. I guess if you are in an enabled area you could go in and ask what the story is. Hopefully, they will have some sort of roll out map/details that we can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

I'm impressed by the speedtests. More than enough bandwidth and I'm happy siro are pushing 200m/bit upload. That is awesome.

mishapk, you lucky git!

if you get a minute try these as well

http://speedtest.vodafone.ie/

http://speedtest.upc.ie/

finally if you don't mind do some pings tests. On windows go to command (cmd) and then type ping www.rte.ie
    and if you don't mind www.boards.ie, www.bbc.co.uk

on mac,
    Open Network Utility (located inside Applications > Utilities).
    Click Ping.
    Fill out the “Enter the network that you want to ping” field. You can enter the IP address or web URL. Enter
    Click Ping.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,016 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Another all day power outage happening in my estate Sun 18 oct to facilitate fibre upgrade. I am in the Avenue Road area of Dundalk. The previous one was two months ago.

Hi Praetorian,

Vodafone

Last Result:

Download Speed: 747349 kbps (93418.6 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Upload Speed: 209668 kbps (26208.5 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Latency: 11 ms
    Jitter: 5 ms

UPC

Last Result:
    Download Speed: 749143 kbps (93642.9 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Upload Speed: 207217 kbps (25902.1 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Latency: 73 ms
    Jitter: 2 ms

ping results

RTE

10 packets transmitted, 10 packets received, 0.0% packet loss
    round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 4.633/5.251/5.877/0.308 ms

Boards

round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 5.527/5.882/6.644/0.333 ms

BBC

round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 15.132/15.714/19.298/1.199 ms

Can I ask what CPE(Modem, ONT, Router) they gave you?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,547 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Can I ask what CPE(Modem, ONT, Router) they gave you?

He posted this link (post #2319) to some pics last week - http://1drv.ms/1WSigb7

The Cush wrote: »
    He posted this link (post #2319) to some pics last week - http://1drv.ms/1WSigb7

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

What happened to symmetrical speeds?

KOR101 wrote: »
    What happened to symmetrical speeds?

Its a trial. They may be running 50/50 GPON and PTP fibre. That ONT is GPON which is asymmetric, so if that goes production speeds will be the same as eircom.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

Its a trial. They may be running 50/50 GPON and PTP fibre. That ONT is GPON which is asymmetric, so if that goes production speeds will be the same as eircom.
    They were highlighting the symmetrical speeds in the presentation I went to in the Dome in Stephens Green during the summer. Boasting about it, so I hope they haven't changed their minds.

• Advertisement

KOR101 wrote: »
    They were highlighting the symmetrical speeds in the presentation I went to in the Dome in Stephens Green during the summer. Boasting about it, so I hope they haven't changed their minds.

GPON is cheaper to roll out...

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭BuzzG

Looks like a nice tidy install, great to see some competition entering the market on the wholesale side.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,252 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

mishapk wrote: »
    http: // www. speedtest. net/ result/4722518646.png

http : // 1drv.ms / 1WSigb7

Hope these work , I can get shots of the boxes outside tomorrow

Hey - any photos of the boxes outside?

KeRbDoG wrote: »
    Hey - any photos of the boxes outside?

Theres a streetcab posted somewhere in this thread but its a while back.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,456 ✭✭✭Nollog

The Cush wrote: »

Looks like Huawei are the real winners. :pac:
    afaik both eir and siro are using their equipment now.

/\/ollog wrote: »
    Looks like Huawei are the real winners. :pac:
    afaik both eir and siro are using their equipment now.

They're doing well all over. Copper, fibre and cellular. Chinese government will soon have a foothold in most of the net :pac:

- Kerbdog

Pictures of the exterior box for the install here

http: // 1drv.ms / 1LyjeCa

• Registered Users Posts: 15,547 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

• Registered Users Posts: 5,456 ✭✭✭Nollog

I got an email in my spam at some stage.
    SIRO wrote:
    September was a very busy month with two builds kicking off. Broadband at the speed of light is coming to Sligo, the first SIRO-Powered town in Connaught and Carrigaline, the first of seven Cork locations to receive 1 Gigabit connectivity.

There was great interest in both Sligo and Carrigaline. SIRO's plans for Sligo were unveiled at an event in Sligo City Hall, officially launched by Rosaleen O'Grady, Cathaoirleach of Sligo County Council. The Carrigaline announcement was made by Minister for Agriculture, Food and the Marine Simon Coveney TD at an event held in the Carrigaline Court Hotel.

SIRO will be available from broadband retailers very very soon.

Also
    SIRO wrote:
    Where to Next:
    We will light up Letterkenny, Tralee and Cavan by this December.

Check out our roll out map for updates on your town.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

/\/ollog wrote: »
    I got an email in my spam at some stage.

Also

I got the same.

Advertisement