Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SIRO - ESB/Vodafone Fibre To The Home

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

A pity the email didn't tell me something I didn't already know. I'm sure the plans for more towns are in place by now. Stringing us along over potentially years is a real tease.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,252 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

mishapk wrote: »
    - Kerbdog

Pictures of the exterior box for the install here

http://1drv.ms/1LyjeCa

Thanks for that. Nice bend there in the fibre before it enters the external box by the SIRO folks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Mgit

KeRbDoG wrote: »
    Thanks for that. Nice bend there in the fibre before it enters the external box by the SIRO folks :)

Looks very crude. If u have a monitored burglar alarm and ur phone service through siro it could make it very easy for a thief to snip the wire and cut service. Between that and gsm jammers it could make it easy to disable alarms in the future i think. Hopefully they will have some plan for this and protect the cables.
    I guess the same issue applies to allot of upc ànd eircom customers anyway but my phone line is underground at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭dbit

Yeah i didnt want ot be the first to complain that the right angle does not sit well with me either , Totally open to abuse . It should be shielded from duct to insertion point in wall at the very least with a thin metal pipe sporting nice soft curved turns.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

How does this cable enter the property? Do they dig up your lawn? Have they only selected houses with over-ground electricity connections?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 mishapk

- Voodoomelon

We're in a relatively new estate , there was a substation at the entrance and the smaller grey box just along the footpath from me, they pulled cable through the ducting that ran through from there to the box on the side of my house , so no damage to my lawn - not that my lawn, such as it is, would have suffered unduly, tiny scrabbly patch of mostly moss that it is :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭rustalan

My father was talking to the guys on the Siro stand in Dundalk today. They told him that the current rollout will be limited to the Urban Power grid. They said that if your supply was on the Rural standing tariff then you would have to wait for NBP.

They also said that there was a clickable map with extra info on the website. I assume they mean the useless green lines one. I'll be heading in later on but I don't think they have much info.

Anyone have any idea what the criteria is for the urban/rural supply designation? Distance from something like a substation?

I'm directly behind Xerox and Mullaharlin sub station in Dundalk and pay the rural charge. I hardly think they are going to by-pass industrial parks like that or maybe they will.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭bazmc35

How is this service connected to your house. Is it through the esb wiring or by eircom telephone line? No links as to what prices and when the service will be available, I guess ill just have to wait until the the 5 of November when they are in Johnsons shopping court in sligo and ask them

• Registered Users Posts: 15,547 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

bazmc35 wrote: »
    How is this service connected to your house. Is it through the esb wiring or by eircom telephone line?

Fibre optic cable http://1drv.ms/1LyjeCa

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=97462825

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭Cork981

Vodafone advertising symmetric speeds down in Mahon point today.... Wonder is it actually a real test.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Cork981 wrote: »
    Vodafone advertising symmetric speeds down in Mahon point today.... Wonder is it actually a read test.

Hehehehe ..... I see in the pic "speed of 1GB" ........ oh yeah? :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Hehehehe ..... I see in the pic "speed of 1GB" ........ oh yeah? :D:D
    Pfft ... That's not Gigabit speed. It's only 948Mb, what a crock :D

Pfft ... That's not Gigabit speed. It's only 948Mb, what a crock :D

It most certainly is not GigaBYTE speed :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,456 ✭✭✭Nollog

It most certainly is not GigaBYTE speed :D

it's 900-odd megaBytes per second though, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MajesticDonkey

/\/ollog wrote: »
    it's 900-odd megaBytes per second though, right?

No, megabits :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭fearmhor18

i haven't got any notification in dundalk about when we can sign up? is it vodafone thats offering the package?

fearmhor18 wrote: »
    i haven't got any notification in dundalk about when we can sign up? is it vodafone thats offering the package?

I believe it's open to anyone to sell it but most likely place to start would be voda . (Due to just getting off the ground i would imagine VF are sitting by the phone)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭swoofer

there is no mention of siro bb on vf website.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭rob808

What siro line rental is it the same as Eir?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,456 ✭✭✭Nollog

They aren't sharing their prices.

It's a slow launch, likely won't give us prices until December 25th (as a Christmas present if we're good boys and girls).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Was on the phone to Vodafone today, rollout for everyone in Dundalk is starting after Christmas.

Yes the phone is not a website !.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Machinehead

Things not so bad here, UK to introduce ultrafast broadband 300-500Mbps & guaranteed minimum 5-10Mbps by 2020.
    http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-34753331?ocid=socialflow_facebook&ns_mchannel=social&ns_campaign=bbcnews&ns_source=facebook

Things not so bad here, UK to introduce ultrafast broadband 300-500Mbps & guaranteed minimum 5-10Mbps by 2020.
    http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-34753331?ocid=socialflow_facebook&ns_mchannel=social&ns_campaign=bbcnews&ns_source=facebook

With that sort of attitude on our doorstep I have a fear of hearing
    'if it is good enough for UK then it is equally good enough for here'
    and we end up with 24Mb/s as 'high-speed broadband' :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

With that sort of attitude on our doorstep I have a fear of hearing
    'if it is good enough for UK then it is equally good enough for here'
    and we end up with 24Mb/s as 'high-speed broadband' :(
    Interview with the Minister (from 1:42mins in)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b06nhpxg

He says EU USO minimum obligation is only 5mbits, but they are proposing a USO of 10mbits. The 24mbits is the EU definition of Superfast.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

My friend was on facebook yesterday telling me he has 1Gb download and 50Mb upload, he lives in England.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

We received this in the door the other day. It mentions is being 1Gb but further down it mentions surfing the web at 300Mbps which seems an off thing to say if it's a 1Gbps package. Prices start at €38 a month for the broadband only package and it says it's unlimited. The more expensive packages give you unlimited landline and mobile calls. No mention on it about speed differences in the packages so they are probably all 1Gb. No mention of upload speeds either.

mMPOcsz.jpg

thats the first time I have seen prices and if these are the norm eir wont have a hope. For 1gb with eir its 70 euro a month. I think with siro its 1gb up and down.

no mention on website last time i looked

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

swoofer wrote: »
    thats the first time I have seen prices and if these are the norm eir wont have a hope. For 1gb with eir its 70 euro a month. I think with siro its 1gb up and down.

no mention on website last time i looked

Even UPC will struggle against that pricing.

• Advertisement

but no. quoted is a mobile number!! very strange way of ordering. have you tried to contact them? i am not in sligo.

Advertisement