Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SIRO - ESB/Vodafone Fibre To The Home

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

swoofer wrote: »
    thats the first time I have seen prices and if these are the norm eir wont have a hope. For 1gb with eir its 70 euro a month. I think with siro its 1gb up and down.

no mention on website last time i looked

There is no indication that the price quoted is for 1Gb/s and not one of the lesser plans using fibre ...... I hope it is, but have my doubts .......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

There is no indication that the price quoted is for 1Gb/s and not one of the lesser plans using fibre ...... I hope it is, but have my doubts .......

It doesn't look very official. Is there any chance it is something dreamt up by an enterprising local salesman to get extra commission?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

The whole thing does look very amateurish. It could be from a local door to door salesperson that Vodafone use. The thing is dated 29th of October on the top left but we only got it the day before yesterday at the earliest. I'm taking the thing with a massive grain of salt until we get something that is more official looking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

The whole thing does look very amateurish. It could be from a local door to door salesperson that Vodafone use. The thing is dated 29th of October on the top left but we only got it the day before yesterday at the earliest. I'm taking the thing with a massive grain of salt until we get something that is more official looking.

I would be very suprised if that is an official Siro document.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,547 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Those are Vodafone's current phone and broadband packages and probably has nothing to do with their future FTTH offering unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

It's an out and out trail. No true prices yet, but still really surprised by flyer.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,883 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

that flyer almost looks like a joke, black and white, no formatting, mobile phone number used for contact.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Manc Red

It's 2015. Could SIRO seriously be using MS word to advertise their product? Oh then add the mobile number.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭dbit

If it walks like a duck , quacks like a duck ,.........

• Registered Users Posts: 5,456 ✭✭✭Nollog

My friend was on facebook yesterday telling me he has 1Gb download and 50Mb upload, he lives in England.

they have gigabits in large centres, most UK companies don't just stick to the basics of what the law says, they also know that consumers want higher speeds.
    dbit wrote: »
    If it walks like a duck , quacks like a duck ,.........

must be a goose.

has anyone tried calling?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭PeadarB

Just had a visit from the Residents Association rep who said KN need residents permission to work around the ESB mini-pillars to facilitate the installation of FTTH, which they expect to be installed before Christmas. Yahoooo... Any one know a good VOIP provider?

PeadarB wrote: »
    Any one know a good VOIP provider?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057372944
    There was a thread about that sort of stuff in BA last eircom price increase.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Flibbles

PeadarB wrote: »
    Just had a visit from the Residents Association rep who said KN need residents permission to work around the ESB mini-pillars to facilitate the installation of FTTH, which they expect to be installed before Christmas. Yahoooo... Any one know a good VOIP provider?

This wasn't up Rahan was it? Saw KN up there last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭PeadarB

Flibbles wrote: »
    This wasn't up Rahan was it? Saw KN up there last night.
    Ashbrook. Rang Siro and they simply said that Letterkenny will be lit up before Christmas. The KN guys were at some of the houses outlining their plans. They did an audit of the ESB mini-pillars some time ago when one of them confirmed to me that KN had the contract. Interesting times coming up to the holidays in six weeks. Better than Santa :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

swoofer wrote: »
    thats the first time I have seen prices and if these are the norm eir wont have a hope. For 1gb with eir its 70 euro a month. I think with siro its 1gb up and down.

no mention on website last time i looked
    Even UPC will struggle against that pricing.

I think that pricing is for up to 300mbs. The flyer is a little misleading. While it mentions 1gb in the header, it only refers to 300mbs in the main text.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Liamario wrote: »
    I think that pricing is for up to 300mbs. The flyer is a little misleading. While it mentions 1gb in the header, it only refers to 300mbs in the main text.

It's hard to tell as the flyer is pretty poor. I sent a copy onto SIRO asking for some clarification but they never got back to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Anyone who believes that flyer is from any sort of reputable organisation, much less SIRO, probably also believes a Nigerian Prince is holding their lottery winnings.

Even UPC will struggle against that pricing.

UPC will not be challenged on this as it is they can deliver with some small upgrades 10GB synchronus , now Virgin , liberty ..........
    (Docsis 3 standards provided docsis 3.0 gear is in use end to end they can go faster than the current 1 GB offerings for FTTH)
    Money will be no object to them if you ask me ?

I dont see FTTH from any provider being a threat to UPC/VIRGIN/LIBERTY

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭rob808

UPC will not be challenged on this as it is they can deliver with some small upgrades 10GB synchronus , now Virgin , liberty ..........
    (Docsis 3 standards provided docsis 3.0 gear is in use end to end they can go faster than the current 1 GB offerings for FTTH)

well depend on the other ISP they probably do it cheaper than Eir but don't think Virgin media to worry at moment since a lot of there customers are in Dublin.

It should be interesting to see when Virgin media launch Docsis 3.1 to compete against FTTH.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Its not quite that simple. 3.1 will push 1GB, but only when the cable is in great condition. Thats only going to be the case in areas that have been overhauled in the past few years.

Also, its Asymmetric 10:1 just like GPON.

And we've no idea how many of the current CMTS units are up to 3.1, theres a fair equipment rollout there. So its not totally a flick of the switch for VM.

• Advertisement

Well Virgin UPc is in practically every major town in Ireland ( cities and large towns) so the penetration rate is already high for them .

Ed we talked of this before and the grade of cable UPC put in place after they bought up the regional operators is of the standard, it was purchased with future proof in mind. As it is now they can stuff hoards more bands down and up the lines .

Why would they roll-out cheap ****ty cable when that was the majority of issues when they bought it ? The 3.1 CMTS and end user modem is all that would have to change.

Albeit they have to terminate more fiber to cmts or backplane.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

The new router/modem Virgin is currently rolling out is a DOCSIS 3.0 model and it looks like it has enough channels to do 1Gb/s.

With DOCSIS 3.1 in future they will likely be able to push speeds even higher.

The key advantage Virgin will have is speed of rollout and cost. With the new modems, etc. Virgin should be able to rollout 1Gb/s to most of their 700,000 home foot print very quickly, while it will take years for Eir and SIRO to rollout FTTH to the same number of homes.

Also the cost of Virgin doing 1Gb/s over their existing infrastrucutre should be a lot less then rolling out new FTTH, so I expect they will be able to relatively easily undercut Eir's pricing. Siro might be a greater challenge, but Virgin should still be able to undercut them, which is why I expect SIRO has repeatedly said they have no plans to go head to head with Virgin.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭Nichard Dixon

Just as computers reached a speed a decade ago where most people were happy enough for your basic email, spreadsheets and word processing, so network speeds reach a level where most people won't want to pay for any extra speed. UPC is up around those levels already. Once you can stream hi def video, there isn't currently a lot of need for speed beyond that on most occasions.

Just as computers reached a speed a decade ago where most people were happy enough for your basic email, spreadsheets and word processing, so network speeds reach a level where most people won't want to pay for any extra speed. UPC is up around those levels already. Once you can stream hi def video, there isn't currently a lot of need for speed beyond that on most occasions.

I would say you are right for the general masses , but there are those of us who would split a few blood cells at the thought of even 5KB missing from the speed throughput . Simply because we can ask why when we spot something odd .

• Registered Users Posts: 29 fr0zen

imgur com/aRaL46II

SIRO cabinet in Carrigaline just outside of the Gaeilscoil, from what I have seen they have completed 2 estates (one where the TD lives of course) and are working on 2 estates currently, will update if I come across anything more, no shortage of tli vans in Carrigaline anway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

fr0zen wrote: »
    imgur com/aRaL46II

SIRO cabinet in Carrigaline just outside of the Gaeilscoil, from what I have seen they have completed 2 estates (one where the TD lives of course) and are working on 2 estates currently, will update if I come across anything more, no shortage of tli vans in Carrigaline anway
    link?

KOR101 wrote: »
    link?

Imgur com/aRaL46II < can't post links here ;_;

^nvm broken link; imgur com/gzAZOkB

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

X0RtDrQ.jpg

FYP

EDIT: and resized. Focus is well....

• Advertisement

fr0zen wrote: »
    Imgur com/aRaL46II < can't post links here ;_;

You had an extra l on the end.

I've seen a few of those white boxes around.

Advertisement