Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SIRO - ESB/Vodafone Fibre To The Home

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭PeadarB

/\/ollog wrote: »
    I've seen a few of those white boxes around.
    Letterkenny?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

You had an extra l on the end.

I've seen a few of those white boxes around.

Hopefully in Letterkenny. I will probably be moving up there to live for a year and where SIRO is deployed will almost certainly be hugely influential in choosing a house to rent. Having said that it will no doubt only be right in the town and I prefer bigger houses with a big shed, so I will have to wait and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,456 ✭✭✭Nollog

PeadarB wrote: »
    Letterkenny?

I've seen one, but it's old. I was inferring that the ESB use the same cabs for electricity(i assume) as well, as I had seen some years ago, and not in the place they were doing trials.

Didn't someone say they were starting rolling out here before Christmas to you before?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

I've seen one, but it's old. I was inferring that the ESB use the same cabs for electricity(i assume) as well, as I had seen some years ago, and not in the place they were doing trials.

Didn't someone say they were starting rolling out here before Christmas to you before?

Eircom use them too in lots of places

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭boardzz

Vodafone announced pricing of €111 per month for the 1Gig package with a 1TB Fair Usage Poicy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

boardzz wrote: »
    Vodafone announced pricing of €111 per month for the 1Gig package with a 1TB Fair Usage Poicy.

That's like giving someone a Ferrari and then telling them they're not allowed to put fuel in it. Absolutely ridiculous decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,547 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Launching today
    The new 'LightSpeed Broadband' range of broadband packages will officially launch today in Carrigaline, Co Cork. The Cork settlement is the first of 51 towns across Ireland to receive access to SIRO, a fibre network joint venture between the ESB and Vodafone that will run fibre along the ESB's power lines.

http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/vodafone-superfast-broadband-goes-live-34244317.html

Vodafone said its LightSpeed customers will get access to broadband speeds of up to 1,000 megabits (or one gigabit), which is up to 10 times faster than many fibre packages currently on the market.

Its home packages will offer a “minimum speed” of 350 megabits. Prices for LightSpeed Broadband bundles begin at €49, rising up to €111 for the one gig package, and €129 for an unlimited business package bundled with voice.

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/technology/vodafone-rolls-out-high-speed-fibre-broadband-for-towns-1.2447956

• Registered Users Posts: 15,547 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

stupid decision, you would break that in a week and thats with light usage

Think I will stick to my Dedi server in Germany, cheaper with no stupid caps

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭ukoda

kingtiger wrote: »
    stupid decision, you would break that in a week and thats with light usage

Think I will stick to my Dedi server in Germany, cheaper with no stupid caps

am i missing something here, isn't 1TB a massive cap?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

ukoda wrote: »

At 1Gb/s it would take just 2 hours 30 minutes to blow through that cap!

bk wrote: »
    At 1Gb/s it would take just 2 hours 30 minutes to blow through that cap!

but realistically, who's connection is going to be full speed maxed out downloading/streaming 1TB of data a month?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭rob808

yea 1TB is very big download allowance doh for some people that small.

but realistically, who's connection is going to be full speed maxed out downloading/streaming 1TB of data a month?

It's an easy target, a house with 2-3 teenagers using Netflix, YouTube and the likes could easily hit it

It's an easy target, a house with 2-3 teenagers using Netflix, YouTube and the likes could easily hit it

maybe, but i doubt normal usage would get you anywhere near that figure, in my house theres a PS4 online a lot and Netflix / downloading, and we only ever get near about 250GB a month

maybe, but i doubt normal usage would get you anywhere near that figure, in my house theres a PS4 online a lot and Netflix / downloading, and we only ever get near about 250GB a month
    yea it be mainly torrent users downloading music and movies would eat up 1TB fast normal user would never come close even using YouTube and Netflix.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭dbit

Considering on my DF vdsl connection running at 50MB/15MB i pulled 450 GB from a movie pack for the kids in one day - the rest of the month was netflix x 3 devices and some other hefty downloading , on that month alone i reached around 1.2 TB . So yeah its miserable to put a cap on something esp if being asked to pay 111 per month . For me its ya can keep yer ****ty cap and your silly pricing structure. In Switzerland and Austria they pay about 35 a month for 1 GB fiber no cap or FUP.
    Time and a bit of cop on may change those stats.

You are light users, there's 20-30 connected devices here showing on the router with 2 adults and 2 teenagers with visiting friends, boyfriends etc and we average ~600GB on eFibre. We did average 200-300 on ADSL

dbit wrote: »
    Considering on my DF vdsl connection running at 50MB/15MB i pulled 450 GB from a movie pack for the kids in one day - the rest of the month was netflix x 3 devices and some other hefty downloading , on that month alone i reached around 1.2 TB . So yeah its miserable to put a cap on something esp if being asked to pay 111 per month . For me its ya can keep yer ****ty cap and your silly pricing structure. In Switzerland and Austria they pay about 35 a month for 1 GB fiber no cap or FUP.

:eek: how did you manage that! a movie is only 3GB max, does that mean 150 movies in a day?

i would actually agree having a cap is not the best, i would just think 1TB isn't exactly unreasonable either

Private torrents max your connection every time . IT was a movie PACK. 1 TB is not equating to the increase of speed . All im saying is that my line speed is small and if there was a cap i certainly have not been warned by Eir. What they will do if you breech that cap is more interesting to me .

• Advertisement

dbit wrote: »
    I say it take awhile before the price come down the more people with FTTH the cheaper the prices.

The prices are high because of the small user base at moment plus they got get there investment back.I wouldn't pay €111 euro would rather give eir €70 for 1Gb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

You are light users, there's 20-30 connected devices here showing on the router with 2 adults and 2 teenagers with visiting friends, boyfriends etc and we average ~600GB on eFibre. We did average 200-300 on ADSL

I've cracked the 1TB barrier several times since getting efibre 2 years ago. That's typical of VF I'll stay with eir I couldn't bear going back to the stone age of watching what's been downloaded. They're some shower of chancers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭chris_ie

Was just going to say this. I currently have Netflix and hold off using it too much as the HD streams can take up quite a bit. If I was getting FTTH I would be expecting to be able to use this anytime I wanted along with downloading, Sky On Demand and other services without having to worry about going over a cap. You'd hit the 1TB soon enough. Thats before you bring 4K streaming into it at some point..

rob808 wrote: »
    I say it take awhile before the price come down the more people with FTTH the cheaper the prices.

The prices are high because of the small user base at moment plus they got get there investment back.I wouldn't pay €111 euro would rather give eir €70 for 1Gb.

I wouldn't pay those prices either, hopefully other retailers come on board with different pricing

:eek: how did you manage that! a movie is only 3GB max, does that mean 150 movies in a day?

i would actually agree having a cap is not the best, i would just think 1TB isn't exactly unreasonable either

Would you believe Facebook, YouTube and Snapchat are the biggest users of bandwidth. Your Facebook feed streams videos as you scroll. Also Steam games are anything up to 60-70 gigs these days. Netflix accounts for very little of the bandwidth we use

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

A low month for the household is 800GB combined. 1.6TB last month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

rob808 wrote: »

Ha ha, in Ireland? You're having a laugh. I'm on fttc 2 years next month and it's gone up twice!! It ain't called treasure Island for nothing...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,492 ✭✭✭irishgeo

wow thats steep.

does the 1TB cap apply to all the packages?

jca wrote: »
    Ha ha, in Ireland? You're having a laugh. I'm on fttc 2 years next month and it's gone up twice!! It ain't called treasure Island for nothing...
    That because Irish people will pay these prices and not say anything just look at our vat that went up causing everything to go higher and we didn't do anything.

• Advertisement

Would you believe Facebook, YouTube and Snapchat are the biggest users of bandwidth. Your Facebook feed streams videos as you scroll. Also Steam games are anything up to 60-70 gigs these days. Netflix accounts for very little of the bandwidth we use

Agreed i forgot about the xbone and the 360 they suck that up in no time with games with gold ( Free games) tipping in at 50 GB per game almost as well as EA platform also pulling the same data loads. I Also use steam.

Advertisement