Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SIRO - ESB/Vodafone Fibre To The Home

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭dbit

That cap is a shambles, thought up probably by mary who makes tea in the back office canteen me finks.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭rustalan

You can register for it on the vodafone website. The Siro rollout map has been updated with Dundalk saying available now and an outline of where it will be available.

http://comingsoon.vodafone.ie/register/lightspeed-broadband

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

irishgeo wrote: »
    wow thats steep.

does the 1TB cap apply to all the packages?

The business pack which includes VOIP services and costs more is unlimited I understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

10. The Customer's line must pass all prequalification testing carried out by Vodafone and/or the Access Provider and the line must be capable of activation for the Service at the service delivery address.

This looks like a left over from an agreement of services over copper tel line.

That'll be Mary again !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭ukoda

probably left there to cover themselves if they can't get a fibre cable to the house on the electricity line

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

rob808 wrote: »
    That because Irish people will pay these prices and not say anything just look at our vat that went up causing everything to go higher and we didn't do anything.

What can I do? Not pay them? Ring them up and do a Victor Meldrew? Like most here I've 3 providers available to me, eir, sky or VF. Sky while being unlimited are dire, VF with their ridiculous 300 gig cap are a non runner so I'm left with eir as my only real option. If you've any constructive suggestions I'd love to hear them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,349 ✭✭✭naughto

ukoda wrote: »
    :eek: how did you manage that! a movie is only 3GB max, does that mean 150 movies in a day?

i would actually agree having a cap is not the best, i would just think 1TB isn't exactly unreasonable either

the latest ep of the walking dead in 720p hdtv was near 2gb

the latest ep of the walking dead in 1080p hdtv was near 7.30gb

thats just a 40/50 minute tv show.
    you would burn through 1tb in no time.

at those prices and a cap ill be staying with eir at 70/20 for 45euro unlimited

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

naughto wrote: »

Yes bit 70/20 may not be good enough for very long, the BT Sport ultra channel requires 26mbit, for a single channel on one tv. This is why it's a pitiful limit on a futureproof connection

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

jca wrote: »
    What can I do? Not pay them? Ring them up and do a Victor Meldrew? Like most here I've 3 providers available to me, eir, sky or VF. Sky while being unlimited are dire, VF with their ridiculous 300 gig cap are a non runner so I'm left with eir as my only real option. If you've any constructive suggestions I'd love to hear them.

Didn't they do away with their cap?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

I wonder is that stupid cap to cover both downstream and upstream?

After all they're giving customers symmetrical packages so people will be inclined to use cloud storage more readily (for example), thus eating up more of the nonsensical limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

Netflix and Amazon provide certain shows in 4K, that 1TB limit is an embarrassment. Absolutely no point in having an increased speed only to limit it by a stupid cap. It does not matter if the majority do not use anywhere near 1TB in a month, the fact is some people do, and Im sure the statistics would confirm that people who actually want to pay more for 1Gb speeds, are more likely to be very high users. I know I never watch live TV anymore unless its an actual live event like Sports etc., cant be bothered with adverts. Everything is streamed or downloaded and I always choose the highest quality available. Standard Definition is a thing of the past, I would rather not watch something than have to endure the pixelated mess it looks like.

I dont imagine it will be too long before that cap is lifted, I just dont see any real advantage to having it. I wonder if that 1TB of data is just downloaded data, or if its uploaded data as well. That really would be pathetic if it was the latter.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

All ISPs count combined usage. Up + down.

Fup Fup Fup !

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

naughto wrote: »

Where the hell are you getting those downloads? I get much smaller hdtv files around the 500mb for tv shows

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Mc Love wrote: »
    Where the hell are you getting those downloads? I get much smaller hdtv files around the 500mb for tv shows

Probably from the same site that another guy is stressing hd comment from because of his great love of picture quality. If there's one thing illegal streaming sites are renowned for, it's picture quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,349 ✭✭✭naughto

When there's no cap I try and get 1080p hd on every thing ever pappa pig

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

I can see one on Kickass Torrents that is 7.3GB. You probably don't bother looking at bitrates and assume that all HDTV is of the same quality.

The latest episode of Walking Dead in 720p with a bitrate of 1,186 Kbps is:
    1.73 GB

The latest episode of Walking Dead in 1080p with a bitrate of 23.8 Mbps is 7.3GB.

Video quality is far more complex than just SD versus HD, there's frame rates and different video encoding.

I have torrent form a satellite feed with a bitrate of 26600kpbs. The video is nearly 3 hours long and the size is 32.6 GB.

Those 500MB HDTV files you download aren't full HD - not even close, but you also need a good TV to truly experience them, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭satguy

In this house only sport is watched via live TV, the one in the corner of the living room, it is also a smart TV..

Most TV shows that we may watch are downloaded or streamed, mostly 720p mkv at about 1 gig per episode. Sometimes I might wait and grab a 1080p mkv at 3 gig per episode. I remember when Black Sails was airing on starz, if you waited 3 hours after it finished you could watch in truly stunning 1080p quality at 3.5 Gig per episode.

So in this house we hit 650 GB most months, and if there is a lot of gaming going on, we can hit 800 GB in a month.

If we had 1 GB fiber, I could see this 1TB cap being a big problem. There is a PC and a 1080p TV in all the upstairs rooms, plus the one downstairs, maybe we should have bought 720p ones and just watch "britain's got talent" and "i'm a celebrity get me out of here" on cable TV, There is no cap on that, funny enough...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

MMFITWGDV wrote: »
    I wonder is that stupid cap to cover both downstream and upstream?

After all they're giving customers symmetrical packages so people will be inclined to use cloud storage more readily (for example), thus eating up more of the nonsensical limit.
    Really the only justification for 1 Gbit service for me is to be able to do proper cloud synching. Need both 1gbit upload and no caps. Currently uncapped, so fibre would be a backward step. Can't believe that..:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭dam099

rustalan wrote: »
    You can register for it on the vodafone website. The Siro rollout map has been updated with Dundalk saying available now and an outline of where it will be available.

http://comingsoon.vodafone.ie/register/lightspeed-broadband

That page gives the price as €90 not €111, I wonder if there is some confusion over the VAT element of the pricing.

It looks like its the consumer site so it would be illegal for them to show VAT exclusive pricing.

Even at €90 it looks pricey vs Eir just for the extra upload.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,456 ✭✭✭Nollog

WP1O9A5.png
    4k TV shows are now.

I remember calling the cap when Vodafone were first announced as ESB's partner. Shame. They'll drop it in 6 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

Also 50 fps sports video becoming common now.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Lads lads lads, HVEC. Shrink that stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭Simi

ED E wrote: »
    Lads lads lads, HVEC. Shrink that stuff.

*Hevc

And unfortunately all the people currently uploading hevc are overly compressing everything to a blurry pixelated mess (animation looks great at low bitrates mind you.)

So I doubt anyone downloading the 7GB rip of the walking dead is going to be switching anytime soon.

Would a 2TB cap be enough to placate people? While I can easily envisage a household of 4 or 5 people breezing though a 1TB cap in a month, 2TB would offer a bit of head room, for all but the most serious downloaders?

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭PeadarB

I see that Letterkenny, where this was recently promised before Christmas, has now moved to "planned", this despite the fact that it was named as one of the first ten towns to get the service. Did I not read somewhere that Vodafone would receive preferential rates from Siro as they were a partner. Looking at the prices quoted and the FUP proposed, they are only another shower of chancers, along with a lot of other chancers in this bloody greed crazed country.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,456 ✭✭✭Nollog

PeadarB wrote: »
    I see that Letterkenny, where this was recently promised before Christmas, has now moved to "planned", this despite the fact that it was named as one of the first ten towns to get the service. Did I not read somewhere that Vodafone would receive preferential rates from Siro as they were a partner. Looking at the prices quoted and the FUP proposed, they are only another shower of chancers, along with a lot of other chancers in this bloody greed crazed country.
    The terms say they'd run you a fibre from the pole though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭satguy

People with good HTPC set-ups, may need more than 1TB, Those with experience, white hat or black hat, know where is best quality is to be found, and anybody that may well be watching "Walking Dead" at the moment will see that all mkv files are not equal.

With a 1 GB fiber connection and a 4K TV hooked up to a nice HTPC you should be happy, watch what you want, in the quality that you want. After all, is that not why isp's are giving us faster and faster connections, so that we can all be happy.

How can a cable into the back of a TV be just fine, with no cap, but if that cable go to a HTPC first, then to a TV,, all hell breaks loose..and they cap you..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

Here is my data usage on a Gigabit connection since 19/11

721y5dC.png

you will hammer a 1TB cap inside of 2-3 days by just streaming a few TV shows \ Movies along with the various tablets \ consoles \ phones\ TVs \ etc on your connection

it just mounts up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

I would not be happy with anything other than truly unlimited with none of that rip off (why have the regulators not crucified those lying cnuts) fair use policy nonsense.

I do not want to have to even consider what data Im consuming, I want absolute freedom to stream 100% bluray rips if I choose. Thats my prerogative, and is SIRO wont offer it, they can jog right on!

Advertisement