Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SIRO - ESB/Vodafone Fibre To The Home

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭rob808

I would not be happy with anything other than truly unlimited with none of that rip off (why have the regulators not crucified those lying cnuts) fair use policy nonsense.

I do not want to have to even consider what data Im consuming, I want absolute freedom to stream 100% bluray rips if I choose. Thats my prerogative, and is SIRO wont offer it, they can jog right on!
    The thing is you don't have go with Vodafone it a Open network you go with magnet and get unlimited downloads it comes down to prices and how much your willing to spend.I think Vodafone happy enough to just take line rental since there partner with ESB.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

€55 for 350Mb/s with a 1TB cap is also a little steep.

+ another €15 for Irish landines and mobile calls for a total of €70

By comparison I'm paying UPC/Virgin €45 for 240Mb/s + no cap + Irish Landlines and calls.

No wonder SIRO is avoiding Virgin areas, no one would switch at those prices!

Of course great news if you are currently stuck on a crappy <10 Mb/s rural connection.

But anyone on more then a 30Mb/s VDSL connection would probably want to seriously think if they would actually make use of this speed, specially when capped.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭cunnijo

bk wrote: »

By comparison I'm paying UPC/Virgin €45 for 240Mb/s + no cap + Irish Landlines and calls.

Of course great news if you are currently stuck on a crappy <10 Mb/s rural connection.

But anyone on more then a 30Mb/s VDSL connection would probably want to seriously think if they would actually make use of this speed, specially

when capped.

I totally agree. €70pm for 350MB + Calls is steep, especially with capping on it. As regards competing with Virgin Media they will be facing this in some areas (my own area here in Naas and Navan are prime examples of this). So their pricing will have to drop fairly sharpish. Navan is one of the first 10 areas in the SIRO rollout as it happens.

We seem to be forgetting the potential competitor here in the form of Eir FTTH. €87pm after 6 months for 1GB + calls. Much better value for money and will be available in more areas than SIRO initially. What are the chances of other ISP's (with exception of Vodafone) will go that route if that is a cheaper option and the potential of better returns/profits.

But anyone on more then a 30Mb/s VDSL connection would probably want to seriously think if they would actually make use of this speed, specially when capped.
    Im lucky to have 4mb DSL I live in a rural location and my only other option ripplecom and for 8mb and 1up €45 and 70Gb allowance think how fast you go through that 1Tb from Vodafone isn't to bad.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

rob808 wrote: »
    Im lucky to have 4mb DSL I live in a rural location and my only other option ripplecom and for 8mb and 1up €45 and 70Gb allowance think how fast you go through that 1Tb from Vodafone isn't to bad.

Of course, for people like you, it is fantastic news.

However unfortunately very rural customers like you don't make for an economic business model. They need to win over at least the VDSL customers from the more densely populated towns and potentially Virgin/UPC customers in order to make this all worth doing.

I don't think they will win over many people with this sort of pricing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

Isn't this just standard 'early adopter' pricing. Once they have greater demand, and the capacity to meet that demand (really doubtful at present) then prices will naturally fall.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

kingtiger wrote: »
    Here is my data usage on a Gigabit connection since 19/11

721y5dC.png

you will hammer a 1TB cap inside of 2-3 days by just streaming a few TV shows \ Movies along with the various tablets \ consoles \ phones\ TVs \ etc on your connection

it just mounts up
    You just have to laugh. Most people posting here think it's only a minority that need FTTH just now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,456 ✭✭✭Nollog

Siro emailed me to tell me Vodafone are their first retail partner, and siro is now available in Dundalk and Carrigaline.

They're only surveying in LK which sucks. Don't know how they could say it'll be here by Christmas with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,217 ✭✭✭digiman

Here is my data usage on a Gigabit connection since 19/11

721y5dC.png

you will hammer a 1TB cap inside of 2-3 days by just streaming a few TV shows \ Movies along with the various tablets \ consoles \ phones\ TVs \ etc on your connection

it just mounts up

Are you just seeding torrents with unlimited upload? The ISPs will love this :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

digiman wrote: »
    Are you just seeding torrents with unlimited upload? The ISPs will love this :)

not every user of upload means torrents

Start using cloud storage and a Plex server with a gig up and you will see why

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭satguy

My son has a YouTube Channel and can upload a good bit of video some weeks..

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVSkGhhFq5DZLhYQf7atrig

Is uploading 3 at the moment... So a cap would never work in this house..

• Registered Users Posts: 21,016 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

/\/ollog wrote: »
    Siro emailed me to tell me Vodafone are their first retail partner, and siro is now available in Dundalk and Carrigaline.

They're only surveying in LK which sucks. Don't know how they could say it'll be here by Christmas with that.

I got that e mail as well. They are busy this last few days around the Avenue Road and St Alphonsus Road areas of Dundalk.

Saying that Vodafone is their first partner suggests that they will have others. I'm hoping that Eir will be a reseller since I would prefer not to have to switch providers. Does anyone know if Eir would be interested in doing this or would they be allowed?

satguy wrote: »
    My son has a YouTube Channel and can upload a good bit of video some weeks..

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVSkGhhFq5DZLhYQf7atrig

Is uploading 3 at the moment... So a cap would never work in this house..
    I think for big users it definitely wouldn't work does anybody know which ISP join siro to use there network most likely you could go with magnet,Sky who have unlimited download allowance.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,217 ✭✭✭digiman

not every user of upload means torrents

Start using cloud storage and a Plex server with a gig up and you will see why

I'm not familiar with Flex to be honest but how on earth could a home user be uploading at 50Mb/s every second of the day for 11 days?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

digiman wrote: »
    I'm not familiar with Flex to be honest but how on earth could a home user be uploading at 50Mb/s every second of the day for 11 days?

Very easily, once you have that speed you get very used to it, I also don't have any TV box / dish / Ariel

Everything comes though the Internet, I also have kids that stream to twitch / YouTube / etc

Also 4K content can be quite bandwidth heavy

Sign up for plex (its free) and PM me your Plex username and I will send you an invite this will give you a taste of proper VOD

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

Very easily, once you have that speed you get very used to it, I also don't have any TV box / dish / Ariel

Everything comes though the Internet, I also have kids that stream to twitch / YouTube / etc

Also 4K content can be quite bandwidth heavy

Sign up for plex (its free) and PM me your Plex username and I will send you an invite this will give you a taste of proper VOD

Surely though the big usage would be downloading if you were streaming? How could you be uploading 6 times what you download if you're streaming?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

He's library sharing with friends.

This is going really into gray areas unless these are all "home movies". Might be best to leave it there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

ED E wrote: »
    He's library sharing with friends.

This is going really into gray areas unless these are all "home movies". Might be best to leave it there.

Send me a link please! hahaha

• Registered Users Posts: 5,456 ✭✭✭Nollog

guil wrote: »
    Surely though the big usage would be downloading if you were streaming? How could you be uploading 6 times what you download if you're streaming?

Streaming to twitch etc. Is upload. Watching streams on twitch is download.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

My contract with sky is up in 8 months. Where can I find info on the esb/vodafone rollout? Or any idea if or when it's available in the Midlands ( kinnegad)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭ukoda

My contract with sky is up in 8 months. Where can I find info on the esb/vodafone rollout? Or any idea if or when it's available in the Midlands ( kinnegad)

http://siro.ie/roll-out/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,492 ✭✭✭irishgeo

its seems to be taking a lot longer than they planned.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭PeadarB

I see that Letterkenny, one of the first 10 "Fibrehoods" has gone back to "planned" from "available soon." There is very little activity of note from Siro in Letterkenny of late.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Flibbles

PeadarB wrote: »
    I see that Letterkenny, one of the first 10 "Fibrehoods" has gone back to "planned" from "available soon." There is very little activity of note from Siro in Letterkenny of late.

Or anywhere really, you'd think as a communications company they would have more detailed communications.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 949 ✭✭✭damienirel

Seems very quiet on the twitter machine too...
    https://twitter.com/SIROIreland?lang=en

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Is she dead in the water guys? There was great esb activity here last September / October but nothing since.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭rustalan

They were working in Dundalk right up to Christmas. I haven't seen any activity since. I was talking to one of the guys and he told me that they would be up my way Feb/March.

I did seen a van or 2 driving around town last week though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭user2011

There based up at the old brewery see them coming out of there every morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭joe_99

I have heard from a source that i would consider reliable that they may have underestimated the costs of this. It is a huge undertaking and i hear that their ducts are not a clear as they assumed. Having big issues with contractors as well because they are on fixed price contracts and the costs to the contractors have sky rocketed to the point where they are losing money and no longer prepared to do the work.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

joe_99 wrote: »
    I have heard from a source that i would consider reliable that they may have underestimated the costs of this. It is a huge undertaking and i hear that their ducts are not a clear as they assumed. Having big issues with contractors as well because they are on fixed price contracts and the costs to the contractors have sky rocketed to the point where they are losing money and no longer prepared to do the work.

That doesn't surprise me I thought they were being very optimistic with the estimated cost. A lot of people including myself are very happy with my Eircom fttc, we were the people they were trying to get but I don't think it's working for them. The people in rural areas who are crying out for any type of decent reliable bb would take siro's offering in a heartbeat but it's too costly for siro...a real chicken and egg situation.

Advertisement